Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Cowley's five games in 19:59 - Feb 12 with 2675 viewswessex_exile

So here's my not very scientific view on the first five games, measured against some pretty basic criteria.

No doubt some will disagree with my highly subjective assessments on a match by match basis, and I have no doubt the Cowley's are all over this anyway (this isn't meant as a criticism btw). However, only once have we dominated the first half, we're generally much better in the second half. Three times out of five it could be argued we've taken at least some of our chances, and likewise shut the opposition out in the final few minutes. Worryingly, for four out of the five we've had to come from behind, albeit in three of those games we did at least rescue a point.

The Cowley's will be demanding five out of five, will we see that tomorrow night?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

The Cowley's five games in on 21:37 - Feb 12 with 2326 viewsdurham_exile

Wessex I don't have a problem with your assessment.

The acid test was always going to be how would we react to a first defeat under DC.

I think Grimsby are going to end up on an absolute battering.

I expect our biggest win for years. 6-0

DC will have been fuming after Saturday and a number of the players would have been kicking cats, throwing pizza and licking over drinks. And that's just Conor Wilkinson!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

The Cowley's five games in on 14:29 - Feb 13 with 2261 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Seems like a fairly decent reflection the past five games to me although you could argue that our best performance was against Harrogate and that yielded the lowest score. It also yielded zero points so maybe it's right that it got the lowest score. Going 1-0 up or down is a very telling stat in football but even more so in League Two it seems. Leyton Orient didn't lose a single game from 1-0 up last season which just shows how important that first goal is. As we haven't been involved in a 0-0 this season (we were very close on Saturday) there has been a first goal in every game we've played this season and we've only got it on 12 occasions (six wins, two draws and four defeats). The other 19 games where we've failed to get the first goal have delivered a lot less points (two wins, three draws, 14 defeats).

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

The Cowley's five games in on 15:48 - Feb 13 with 2239 viewsthrillseeker

I personally think the Cowley's have used up a number of get out of jail free cards. If it had been Garner or Etherington in control for these 5 games I think our fan base would not be so forgiving but the Cowley's seem to be given some leeway in getting it right.

I am surprised they have not spotted our inability to take chances and seem insistent on playing Hooper up top on his own leaving him isolated.

Although the above may sound critical I see glimmers of hope and improvement.

I wonder if they are in survival mode for this season in preparation for major team changes for 2024/25

I have faith they will get it right but the Cowley love in is a bit extreme at the moment
The Cowley's five games in on 18:24 - Feb 13 with 2208 viewswessex_exile

The Cowley's five games in on 14:29 - Feb 13 by RSCOSWORTH

Seems like a fairly decent reflection the past five games to me although you could argue that our best performance was against Harrogate and that yielded the lowest score. It also yielded zero points so maybe it's right that it got the lowest score. Going 1-0 up or down is a very telling stat in football but even more so in League Two it seems. Leyton Orient didn't lose a single game from 1-0 up last season which just shows how important that first goal is. As we haven't been involved in a 0-0 this season (we were very close on Saturday) there has been a first goal in every game we've played this season and we've only got it on 12 occasions (six wins, two draws and four defeats). The other 19 games where we've failed to get the first goal have delivered a lot less points (two wins, three draws, 14 defeats).

I'd agree, Harrogate was arguably our best performance so far under the Cowley's, but we didn't take our chances, and to give credit to Harrogate, they were much better second half, and we paid the price. Conversely, Morecambe controlled almost every minute of the game, but we kept them out, took our chance when we had it, and defended like demons to preserve the 3pts.

What's interesting I think is that, apart from maybe Bradford, each match we've seen something from the previous match(es) put right, only for another category to drop off. Certainly green shoots to be optimistic about, and overall the performance levels seem so much better now than before. I totally get what you're saying TS about the Cowley love-in, but for me this season is all about survival, and see what they can do next season with a summer to shake the squad up and really get the chips implanted in brains.

Up the U's

The Cowley's five games in on 14:21 - Feb 14 with 2126 viewsRSCOSWORTH

The Cowley's five games in on 15:48 - Feb 13 by thrillseeker

I personally think the Cowley's have used up a number of get out of jail free cards. If it had been Garner or Etherington in control for these 5 games I think our fan base would not be so forgiving but the Cowley's seem to be given some leeway in getting it right.

I am surprised they have not spotted our inability to take chances and seem insistent on playing Hooper up top on his own leaving him isolated.

I wonder if they are in survival mode for this season in preparation for major team changes for 2024/25

I have faith they will get it right but the Cowley love in is a bit extreme at the moment

To some extent I agree but I'd much prefer the fans to be fully behind the management team rather than the negative and at times toxic "support" that was given to Garner and Etherington. I personally think Etherington was out of his depth but it wasn't his fault he was given the role. Garner worked really hard to get us in a decent position and playing good football. Some of the football we played at the back end of last season and beginning of this one was some of the best I'd seen from a Col U team in a long while. Unfortunately with mounting injuries the results didn't always match the performances and the fans turned on him. He possibly didn't help himself by telling both the fans and the club a few home truths that they didn't take kindly to. For some reason the Cowley brothers have possibly got themselves one of the most valuable commodities in football management, time, and to some degree patience. I think that if we stick with these two then they will bring the good times back to Col U. McGreal finished in the top eight three times in four seasons and I see no reason why we can't find ourselves fighting at the right end of the table again but it's going to take time and bit of patience.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

The Cowley's five games in on 20:17 - Feb 17 with 2011 viewsthrillseeker

The Cowley's five games in on 15:48 - Feb 13 by thrillseeker

The love in for the Cowley's continues despite their poor management.

Despite being negative I still think next season will be better
The Cowley's five games in on 21:40 - Feb 17 with 1939 viewsmfb_cufc

The Cowley's five games in on 20:17 - Feb 17 by thrillseeker

The love in for the Cowley's continues despite their poor management.

Despite being negative I still think next season will be better

I agree, the Cowley's have a very good record at non-league level.

mfb

The Cowley's five games in on 11:11 - Feb 18 with 1880 viewsSparkfilmsTV

I stand to be corrected but l think Colchester United have sent out the most players ever on loan in February.

In fact, l think it's the most players loaned out in a fortnight or so in the history of the club.

These guys have not come here to xxxx about. They want another promotion on their CV's and they will be looking for that next season.

It's a mighty long time since there appeared to be much ambition at the club and l look forward to the beginning of next season when we will see a very different side.

In some respects it appears the fans, pundits and media have been duped into believing that certain members of the playing squad over the past few seasons were good enough at this level.

I had my doubts.

If the Cowley brothers can't radically improve things at The Jobserve l doubt there is anyone that can.
[Post edited 18 Feb 13:58]
Login to get fewer ads

The Cowley's five games in on 12:17 - Feb 18 with 1856 viewsbwildered

The Cowley obviously want their loanees playing, so some youngers need to play tier 5/6 rather than sit on the bench or else the Academy/U23 game is too much of a jump. No different from previous seasons, the more the better, did Gilby and Szmodics no harm
On the performance front we looked much better and equipped than last couple of season for survival .
Onwards and upwards .
[Post edited 18 Feb 15:36]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

The Cowley's five games in on 14:36 - Feb 18 with 1822 viewsBLACKCAT

The Cowley's five games in on 11:11 - Feb 18 by SparkfilmsTV

I stand to be corrected but l think Colchester United have sent out the most players ever on loan in February.

In fact, l think it's the most players loaned out in a fortnight or so in the history of the club.

These guys have not come here to xxxx about. They want another promotion on their CV's and they will be looking for that next season.

It's a mighty long time since there appeared to be much ambition at the club and l look forward to the beginning of next season when we will see a very different side.

In some respects it appears the fans, pundits and media have been duped into believing that certain members of the playing squad over the past few seasons were good enough at this level.

I had my doubts.

If the Cowley brothers can't radically improve things at The Jobserve l doubt there is anyone that can.
[Post edited 18 Feb 13:58]

I agree with you and believe every Colchester United supporter should be excited about the next fifteen months.

One thing I must congratulate your club on is their post-match interview with Danny Cowley. Within hours of each match ending there is a reasonably lengthy and informative interview conducted by the same knowledgeable gentleman. It is easy to find and free to view. There are teams much higher up the pyramid where it's difficult to find anything from the manager even twenty-four hours later.
The Cowley's five games in on 15:55 - Feb 18 with 1797 viewsSparkfilmsTV

I've just had a look on the Colchester United official site to confirm who has gone out on loan. The site does not appear to be keeping apace with events.

In addition to the lack of recent loan details there are still quite a few players who remain 'invisible' - just a blue cut out pattern for representation.

The headline from yesterday's match doesn't make sense either.
The Cowley's five games in on 16:54 - Feb 18 with 1787 viewsCrashBandicoot

For those dissing the Cowley's (despite the fact that we've only lost 1 game in 6 and shouldn't have lost that) would they rather have Etherington or Garner back?

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

The Cowley's five games in on 19:14 - Feb 18 with 1757 viewswessex_exile

The Cowley's five games in on 15:55 - Feb 18 by SparkfilmsTV

I've just had a look on the Colchester United official site to confirm who has gone out on loan. The site does not appear to be keeping apace with events.

In addition to the lack of recent loan details there are still quite a few players who remain 'invisible' - just a blue cut out pattern for representation.

The headline from yesterday's match doesn't make sense either.

If it will help, the news section and news archive is usually bang up to date, and they do feature all the ins and outs pretty much as soon as they happen, but you might need to delve a bit to find what you’re looking for. Graeson’s ColUData website is usually bang up to date as well, and the Wikipedia pages are also refreshed by someone very regularly.

Up the U's

The Cowley's five games in on 20:06 - Feb 18 with 1743 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Thanks Wessex, l'm just a bit lazy.

The Colu data site is just incredible. Occasionally take a dive into that and it is the most wonderful resource.

🦮🦮🦮 It's been dog day afternoon here in downtown Colchester and before that in uptown Suffolk.

😊😊
The Cowley's five games in on 15:48 - Mar 8 with 1442 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Hearing some very encouraging news about the Cowley brothers and their mode of working.

Over the past decade or so l get the impression that the position of 'Head Coach' may have had certain limitations.

These 'limitations' appear to have been removed and this will help the club move forward in a positive and promising way.

It will be a busy summer with a considerable number of transactions.
The Cowley's five games in on 22:55 - Mar 9 with 1334 viewsthrillseeker

I've said on previous occasions that I really think the Cowley's are getting an easy ride considering our form just because of their name.

I have been very unimpressed with their tactics and various formations.

Surely they can see we have a problem with goalscoring, defending and concentrating for the full match.

Taylor left us in early January and they did not identify this as a problem - that is poor.

I am not in the Cowley's out brigade as I am fairly confident they will improve us if we stay in the league. If we end up non-league I fear we will never return
The Cowley's five games in on 08:49 - Mar 10 with 1278 viewsfranksic1988

The Cowley's five games in on 22:55 - Mar 9 by thrillseeker

I've said on previous occasions that I really think the Cowley's are getting an easy ride considering our form just because of their name.

Surely they can see we have a problem with goalscoring, defending and concentrating for the full match.

Taylor left us in early January and they did not identify this as a problem - that is poor.

I am not in the Cowley's out brigade as I am fairly confident they will improve us if we stay in the league. If we end up non-league I fear we will never return

I am in your boat. They are getting free hit after free hit. We are a fair few games in here, we are not getting any better at football… we are not really showing improvement in terms of playing style and most defo are not getting better at picking up wins…

They also have had the most support off the powers that be at the club, more so than any other manager.

Seems some fans would let them get us relegated then think they will win league 1 within two seasons.
The Cowley's five games in on 09:33 - Mar 10 with 1254 viewsBLACKCAT

The Cowley's five games in on 08:49 - Mar 10 by franksic1988

I am in your boat. They are getting free hit after free hit. We are a fair few games in here, we are not getting any better at football… we are not really showing improvement in terms of playing style and most defo are not getting better at picking up wins…

They also have had the most support off the powers that be at the club, more so than any other manager.

Seems some fans would let them get us relegated then think they will win league 1 within two seasons.

Providing they don't get The U's relegated this season (and I am confident they won't) I fully expect Colchester United to be in League One within a further two seasons. If and when they win League One is another matter.
The Cowley's five games in on 09:51 - Mar 10 with 1246 viewsTheOldOakTree

The Cowley's five games in on 22:55 - Mar 9 by thrillseeker

It's difficult to argue with your observations, but we were hardly in the running to sign a Klopp or Mourinho. We are at best, the football equivalent of 'Get me out of here' where players and managers, who's careers are on the slide, will come for another shot.

The troubles at the club are too serious for another 'lamb to the slaughter appointment' and DC and NC together, are hopefully strong enough to battle against deep rooted issues that need sorting.

When you look at their CV, their previous achievements could not possibly have come about by luck alone.

Rome wasn't built in a day.......

(but then I wasn't on that particular job).

[Post edited 10 Mar 10:07]
The Cowley's five games in on 10:05 - Mar 10 with 1240 viewsTheOldOakTree

Whilst stealing other peoples quotes, I should add the words of Winston Churchill;

"If you're going through hell, keep going"
The Cowley's five games in on 11:39 - Mar 10 with 1185 viewsBLACKCAT

The Cowley's five games in on 09:51 - Mar 10 by TheOldOakTree

It's difficult to argue with your observations, but we were hardly in the running to sign a Klopp or Mourinho. We are at best, the football equivalent of 'Get me out of here' where players and managers, who's careers are on the slide, will come for another shot.

The troubles at the club are too serious for another 'lamb to the slaughter appointment' and DC and NC together, are hopefully strong enough to battle against deep rooted issues that need sorting.

When you look at their CV, their previous achievements could not possibly have come about by luck alone.

Rome wasn't built in a day.......

(but then I wasn't on that particular job).

[Post edited 10 Mar 10:07]

It shouldn't be forgotten that two months before they accepted the Colchester job they turned down the opportunity to manage at easily the biggest club in League Two.

Geography clearly worked to the advantage of The U's. The brothers' careers were on the slide but it was still a massive coup to persuade them to come to Colchester.
The Cowley's five games in on 12:17 - Mar 10 with 1175 viewsfranksic1988

The Cowley's five games in on 09:33 - Mar 10 by BLACKCAT

Providing they don't get The U's relegated this season (and I am confident they won't) I fully expect Colchester United to be in League One within a further two seasons. If and when they win League One is another matter.

Sure you’re not related to them 😂 have you seen the amount of games you need to win to be a competitive team in the league. They’re struggling to keep as a professional football team. League 1 at this stage looks no more likely than winning the fa cup.
The Cowley's five games in on 12:53 - Mar 10 with 1164 viewsBLACKCAT

The Cowley's five games in on 12:17 - Mar 10 by franksic1988

Sure you’re not related to them 😂 have you seen the amount of games you need to win to be a competitive team in the league. They’re struggling to keep as a professional football team. League 1 at this stage looks no more likely than winning the fa cup.

Fortunes can change very quickly.

Stevenage finished 21st in League Two 2021-2. The next season they finished second and were promoted in second place. They went from eleven wins one season to twenty-four the next.

Barrow finished 22nd in League Two 2021-2. Last season they finished ninth and this season they're currently sixth.

I'm confident Colchester United are capable of a similar improvement.
The Cowley's five games in on 21:10 - Mar 10 with 1050 viewsfranksic1988

The Cowley's five games in on 12:53 - Mar 10 by BLACKCAT

Fortunes can change very quickly.

Stevenage finished 21st in League Two 2021-2. The next season they finished second and were promoted in second place. They went from eleven wins one season to twenty-four the next.

Barrow finished 22nd in League Two 2021-2. Last season they finished ninth and this season they're currently sixth.

I'm confident Colchester United are capable of a similar improvement.

Yes I do totally agree. This is why we wanted DC and NC … to change our fortunes!! They was never going to do much coming in as late as they did this season. But the cobblers they was talking about finishing 12th 😏

They should on paper and in theory be good enough to stop us becoming a national league team. As for your hopes and dreams of rapid league jumps, I think that’s all they will be if things go the way they are.
The Cowley's five games in on 15:14 - Mar 14 with 764 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Sun shining in Colchester but hearing the pitch was in very poor order yesterday.

If the game goes ahead as l expect it to the pitch is likely to be difficult for both teams.

The Walsall match has to be seen as one of the biggest games in the past 30 years because a defeat would put the club in a perilous position.

I for one did not forsee Forest Green Rovers pulling off the kind of result they achieved at Bradford and with the momentum they have gathered over the past few weeks it is looking like themselves or Colchester United to be relegated along with Sutton.
[Post edited 14 Mar 15:15]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024