Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium 11:06 - Apr 13 with 2560 viewsdurham_exile

The advantage of playing three games a week is that you don’t have to wait too long before the next game comes along. Among the disadvantages (if you don’t win) is the strain on players fitness.

Now many people are fixated on the two turning points in Tuesday night’s game against the Hatters. The Goodman mistake and the penalty miss. As glaring as they both were, the game was lost because we failed to take our chances and Stockport capitalised on the few they had. Not dissimilar to the Wrexham game.

Teams challenging for promotion find a way to win whilst the relegation threatened teams play well but do not do enough to win. Simples.

Criticism of DC has been prevalent this week. With some observers suggesting another change of manager is required. This is nonsense of course. 15 points from 16 games is indifferent form but at least four of those drawn games should have been converted into victories. We would already have been safe. Sadly, we continue to struggle.

Midfield players electing to take penalties when DC says that all players practice them in training. Fortunately, we managed to score some against Spurs. That form must be recaptured. We simply cannot afford this profligacy in front of goal.

Today the roadshow moves to the Broadfield Stadium in West Sussex where in front of a sell out home crowd and 1000 of the faithful the U’s will attempt to secure three more precious points to avoid the fate almost worse than death.

And I think they will manage a vital victory by 3-1 to dent Crawley’s faint play off hopes whilst rekindling the U’s survival.

It is all about the players and whether they want a Relegation on their CV or whether they can demonstrate an ability and desire to secure League Two status for another season.

Enough of the false dawns, failures to convert draws to wins, indifferent goal scoring, missed penalties, inability to score more than one goal in a game and feeling sorry for themselves in the changing room after a game.

Nothing less than a win is required today. If you want any motivation then look at the supporters and players of Stockport after they had won on Tuesday night. The joy, adulation and let’s admit it relief was palpable and that just annoys me more. I am heartily sick and tired of watching other teams celebrate a point or a victory against the U’s.

I want the faithful to be dancing with joy at 4.50 pm today following a relegation saving victory against Crawley.

Scott Lindsey and Jamie Day have worked wonders for the Reds to get them to this position but the U’s are better than this, much better than this and the three points will finally put the nails in FGR and Sutton’s coffins.

Remaining fixtures:

Grimsby 42 43
Crewe A
COL U A
Swindon H
Crawley A

Sutton 43 39
Harrogate A
Crawley H
MK Dons A

Colchester 41 38
Crawley A
Grimsby H
Notts Co A
Doncaster H
Crewe H

FGR 43 36
Wrexham A
Morecambe A
Notts Co H

DC said that the 24 players who regularly train will be needed so let’s start to get tough.

I’m not really anti Chilvers, I just think he has wasted his talent. He just doesn’t tackle; he fails to track back; he doesn’t convert enough chances and he thinks the world owes him a living. Back on the bench for Mr Chilvers today.

Team:

Goodman

Richardson Kells Hall Iandolo

Read McGeehan Smith

Mingi Tovide Akinde

Subs
Dallison Hornby Fevrier Ihionvien Chilvers Anderson Edwards (if fit) or Jay

Mingi although brilliant at Right Back must play further up field where his forward runs will be most effective. Richardson is back at RB and with Kells and Hall, Iandolo offer a more solid and structured flat back four.

Read, McGeehan and Smith are the dream Midfield trio and Mingi can support Tovide and Akinde up front.

Options from the bench would be Fevrier, Ihionvien, Chilvers and Edwards if fit.

Crawley weather will be mild 17 degrees Celsius, sunny but breezy.

Today is where we finally decide to stop the indifferent results and play with confidence and belief. The faithful will give support in spades. It is up to the players to perform to the best of their ability.

Survival remains in our own hands, time to get safe for another year.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 16:58 - Apr 13 with 1030 viewsdurham_exile

Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 16:55 - Apr 13 by CrashBandicoot

Yeah tovide needs to learn to keep his cool and not make rash mistakes. A win over Grimsby should see us safe though.

Sutton finishes as a 2-2 draw.

Grimsby winning.

Crawley score a second

Durham_exile

Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 16:59 - Apr 13 with 1017 viewsdurham_exile

Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 16:58 - Apr 13 by durham_exile

Sutton finishes as a 2-2 draw.

Grimsby winning.

Crawley score a second

Three big points 3-2

I am so disappointed in Samson Tovide. No excuses.

Durham_exile

Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 17:00 - Apr 13 with 1013 viewsCrashBandicoot

Full time and a nice hard earned win today, esp with sutton scraping a draw and fgr getting hammered

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 17:03 - Apr 13 with 981 viewsdurham_exile

Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 17:00 - Apr 13 by CrashBandicoot

Full time and a nice hard earned win today, esp with sutton scraping a draw and fgr getting hammered

We still need six points.

Sutton will win their last two games against Crawley and MK Dons.

But we can beat Grimsby and Notts County.

Up the U's
[Post edited 13 Apr 18:08]

Durham_exile

Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 17:04 - Apr 13 with 975 viewsburnsieespana

FGR must be finished but Sutton still fighting so 4 more points should guarantee survival
Crawley play Sutton next week I believe.
[Post edited 13 Apr 17:11]
Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 17:04 - Apr 13 with 975 viewsgerry_us

Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 16:59 - Apr 13 by durham_exile

Three big points 3-2

I stayed in the garden second half. Much less stressful.
Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 17:14 - Apr 13 with 931 viewsburnsieespana

Thank goodness I could concentrate on the Grand National where I bagged the winner!
Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 18:10 - Apr 13 with 858 viewsdurham_exile

Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 17:14 - Apr 13 by burnsieespana

Thank goodness I could concentrate on the Grand National where I bagged the winner!

Burnsie - you are Maximus indeed!

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 18:13 - Apr 13 with 855 viewsdurham_exile

Attendance 5223

Including 965 of the faithful.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 18:23 - Apr 13 with 845 viewsgerry_us

Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 16:59 - Apr 13 by durham_exile

Three big points 3-2

So how did he get the red?
Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 18:25 - Apr 13 with 844 viewsMoor_Pinot

Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 18:13 - Apr 13 by durham_exile

Attendance 5223

Including 965 of the faithful.

Up the U's

Tovide will be unavailable for three. Recall Cooper from up with you Durham. He's a better front man midfielder than Chilvers!
Three most welcome points and deserved after the last two decent efforts.
Can we beat Grimsby?

Moor Pinot

Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 19:13 - Apr 13 with 800 viewsColukev

Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 17:03 - Apr 13 by durham_exile

We still need six points.

Sutton will win their last two games against Crawley and MK Dons.

But we can beat Grimsby and Notts County.

Up the U's
[Post edited 13 Apr 18:08]

Mate no way so Sutton win both games!

Cracking result today, what a great day our. Shame DC wasn't there to join in the celebrations. Win against Grimsby and we stay up!
Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 19:21 - Apr 13 with 790 viewsburnsieespana

Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 19:13 - Apr 13 by Colukev

Mate no way so Sutton win both games!

Cracking result today, what a great day our. Shame DC wasn't there to join in the celebrations. Win against Grimsby and we stay up!

Bet he wasn't far away!
Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 19:46 - Apr 13 with 754 viewsnoah4x4

Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 19:21 - Apr 13 by burnsieespana

Bet he wasn't far away!

DC was prohibited from pitch side access after three yellow cards.

Fantastic win, but the experience slightly marred by rip off prices by the external concessions in the Fan Zone…..

Cheeseburger £8.00
Hot Dog £7.50
Fish & Chips £11.50
Pizza £11.50
Chips £3.50
Small 99 ice cream £3.50

Good to see Wessex and TOOT. We agreed….
The first Crawley goal was yards offside (after mistake by Read).
Have no idea why Hopper was denied his hat-trick.
Saw nothing that explains Tovide’s dismissal.
All were also missed by the referee, but flagged by the same linesman.
Bewildering, but we won.
Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 20:55 - Apr 13 with 696 viewsdurham_exile

Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 19:46 - Apr 13 by noah4x4

Fantastic win, but the experience slightly marred by rip off prices by the external concessions in the Fan Zone…..

Cheeseburger £8.00
Hot Dog £7.50
Fish & Chips £11.50
Pizza £11.50
Chips £3.50
Small 99 ice cream £3.50

Bewildering, but we won.

Noah TV cameras missed the off the ball incident so we are equally unclear.

It looked as though Samson was sent off by their player who gestured to the touchline.

But knowing that he has just returned from injury and gaining a few minutes he has got to lose the hot headed approach and fiery temper. Whatever the provocation he misses three games.
At a time when we need him.

I still think 6 points are needed because Crawley will lose at Sutton and if MK Dons are safely ensconced in the Play Offs they will ease off in the final game against the Gander Green outfit.

I have noticed that food prices away are creeping up no more evident than at Creepy Crawley from those prices you identified.

Still a great victory and bring on the Mariners on Tuesday.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 22:12 - Apr 13 with 647 viewswessex_exile

Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 19:46 - Apr 13 by noah4x4

Cheeseburger £8.00
Hot Dog £7.50
Fish & Chips £11.50
Pizza £11.50
Chips £3.50
Small 99 ice cream £3.50

Bewildering, but we won.

Great to see you both too Noah and TOOT, and what a fantastic away day - and I have a photo of Noah enjoying the aforementioned over-priced 99.

Excellent battling performance, despite (again) very poor officials, thoroughly deserved the three points, and the very late consolation goal for the Creepies did little to dampen the celebrations of the magnificent Faithful! T'other Noah had an excellent game, but hats off to Tom Hopper, probably one of the hardest working but most underrated Col U players - deserved and should have had his hat-trick.

All eyes are now on Tuesday - 1pt and FGR are gone, 3pts and Sutton are circling the drain. And then on to Meadow Lane - see you both there!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 22:20 - Apr 13 with 645 viewsWitham

I missed rhe incident but believe he was adjudged to have elbowed McGuire which had been holding him when he was going for the ball.
Referee went from decent to a homer in the 2nd half.
I had promised Mrs Witham fish and chips in Brighton if we won, so just home from Harry Ramsdens !
Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 11:03 - Apr 14 with 504 viewsTheOldOakTree

Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 22:20 - Apr 13 by Witham

I missed rhe incident but believe he was adjudged to have elbowed McGuire which had been holding him when he was going for the ball.
Referee went from decent to a homer in the 2nd half.
I had promised Mrs Witham fish and chips in Brighton if we won, so just home from Harry Ramsdens !

Never let it be said that you don’t know how to spoil a woman.

Take her to watch the U's and a bag of chips, it's not hard to see why she thought you were a 'keeper'
[Post edited 14 Apr 11:06]
Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 08:02 - Apr 15 with 327 viewsnoah4x4

Reds, left red faced by DC's blue and white army at Broadfield Stadium on 11:03 - Apr 14 by TheOldOakTree

Never let it be said that you don’t know how to spoil a woman.

Take her to watch the U's and a bag of chips, it's not hard to see why she thought you were a 'keeper'
[Post edited 14 Apr 11:06]

After her fourth trip to Layer Road, my (now) wife begged me to let her do something else on a Saturday afternoon with her pals, and that was the start of a perfect relationship. She even buys me a season ticket for my birthday to encourage my Saturday absence, and she has a whale of a time on Saturdays with her like-minded pals, shopping, spa days, girlie theatre, unlimited Prosecco.

Now it’s 20 years on, and there is still a close togetherness except on match days. Each partner having their own freedom and space on an agreed day of the week is highly recommended. I despair that modern culture seems to have forgotten this basic human need and so many young people spend Saturday afternoons being mutually miserable. Even if both partners love football (or shopping),find another day where each can have their own space and freedom.
[Post edited 15 Apr 8:06]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024