Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
CLASS MUSIC THREAD - 1 song each - I'll begin. 17:30 - May 11 with 782 viewsmrhappy

Ordinary Joe - Terry Callier.

MR HAPPY SAYS BE HAPPY - LIFE IS SHORT - MAKE IT COUNT ! GOD BLESS YOU !
Poll: Derby County - how the mighty have fallen - Rooney the Gooney

CLASS MUSIC THREAD - 1 song each - I'll begin. on 17:31 - May 11 with 778 viewsLeadbelly

Please define class.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

CLASS MUSIC THREAD - 1 song each - I'll begin. on 17:49 - May 11 with 770 viewsbwildered

One of the Likely Lads ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

CLASS MUSIC THREAD - 1 song each - I'll begin. on 19:01 - May 11 with 762 viewsBarsidepete

CLASS MUSIC THREAD - 1 song each - I'll begin. on 17:31 - May 11 by Leadbelly

Please define class.

I believe Jimmy meant just not modern, Lead, so I'll add...

Boz Scaggs.

So my contribution: "Lowdown," ... "Jojo," ... "Miss Sun." ...Can't decide on which one. Maybe the one Katie in England likes (liked) best, whom Panners introduced me to at Bricklayers--left behind my ColU hoody on one of our Friday Bricklayers nights because the mates distracted me-- she was the shorthaired blond I went up to town centre with in a cab--to a very busy place--and finally walked her back downhill at about 1 a.m. finger-walked her home like a gentleman to near the rail station, Colchester quiet, solemn--is that like a mile walk?--then eventually up the hill again northerly to her flat, was about 6 a.m. when all was said and done

Then merely returned to the Premier Inn, myself, no hanky panky was involved. But oh what a night. We just talked and stuff. She called me the next day and asked what was that album we listened to on my iphone? I texted back who. Sadly, I was flying back the next day and we never met up again, although that Saturday she wanted to. Painful bittersweet memory.

We drank tea, yes only tea, and play-timed like crazy for hours as I played music, yes, just giggles and happy stuff. And she loved the Boz. So now I forever will for lots of fabulous reasons recall and listen to these songs.

Another anecdote, I was in High School, the Community Editor of the school paper, he a senior, and me a junior (one year before graduating, not sure that translates), and the editor brought in a stack of LP's for our final day and I said I don't really like Boz Scaggs.

Without missing a beat, in front of our staff he said, "Well, Boz doesn't like you either."

An impromptu line I'll never forget, and to this day use that line when someone says, in conversation they don't like something I do favour. I say, "Well (fill-in-the-blank) doesn't like you either."

I've grown to love his music. That's my story and I'm sticking to it

Brubeck, "Take Five"
Beatles, "Blackbird"
Gershwin, "Rhapsody in Blue"
James Taylor, "Up on the Roof"
Jim Croce, "Operator"

I cannot narrow it down. Sorry.

Had to edit, "Operator," that's Jim Croce. My bad.
[Post edited 12 May 2015 4:59]

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

CLASS MUSIC THREAD - 1 song each - I'll begin. on 19:32 - May 11 with 739 viewsLeadbelly

I'm sure modern music can be class but you may have to look a little deeper to find it.

Anyway, my current earworm is "Chase the devil" by Max Romeo.

As an aside I was planning to start a thread along the lines of a Desert Island Discs 8 track selection. I became bogged down when I couldn't even pick my favourite 8 Half Man Half Biscuit tracks. If I can't manage it for one band then it may be a lost cause.

CLASS MUSIC THREAD - 1 song each - I'll begin. on 19:44 - May 11 with 734 viewsBarsidepete

CLASS MUSIC THREAD - 1 song each - I'll begin. on 19:32 - May 11 by Leadbelly

I'm sure modern music can be class but you may have to look a little deeper to find it.

As an aside I was planning to start a thread along the lines of a Desert Island Discs 8 track selection. I became bogged down when I couldn't even pick my favourite 8 Half Man Half Biscuit tracks. If I can't manage it for one band then it may be a lost cause.

Now you got me thing, Lead.

Won tickets in High School, was living in Colorado (High School Days), USA then. Won free tickets to Caveman with Ringo Starr. On my birthday, no less , was unbelievable... I was then on air on the radio getting to say, "oi, this is my birthday! when I won two passes during a call-in-now (1981) .. I had Why Can't We be Friends playing as we drove there with my gf, and this is the one that has "Low Rider," too. And it was either play local radio or 8-track. My parents let me drive their 1978 Ford Thunderbird on the date because they believed this was an important occasion :D

CLASS MUSIC THREAD - 1 song each - I'll begin. on 20:06 - May 11 with 727 viewswessex_exile

CLASS MUSIC THREAD - 1 song each - I'll begin. on 19:32 - May 11 by Leadbelly

I'm up for a Desert Island Discs if you fancy it Whale, and totally accept it will prove very difficult to whittle down to 80, never mind 8, but it'll help while away the summer months. Fortunately, through the medium of Youtube, contributors can share all but the most obscure. If we collectively go for one per week, that's two months done with.

Fancy it, and anyone else who wants to join in?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

CLASS MUSIC THREAD - 1 song each - I'll begin. on 21:02 - May 11 with 714 viewsLeadbelly

CLASS MUSIC THREAD - 1 song each - I'll begin. on 20:06 - May 11 by wessex_exile

I'm up for a Desert Island Discs if you fancy it Whale, and totally accept it will prove very difficult to whittle down to 80, never mind 8, but it'll help while away the summer months. Fortunately, through the medium of Youtube, contributors can share all but the most obscure. If we collectively go for one per week, that's two months done with.

Fancy it, and anyone else who wants to join in?

I shall certainly give it a go. Just need to think of track one!

CLASS MUSIC THREAD - 1 song each - I'll begin. on 04:45 - May 12 with 689 viewsBarsidepete

CLASS MUSIC THREAD - 1 song each - I'll begin. on 21:02 - May 11 by Leadbelly

I shall certainly give it a go. Just need to think of track one!

Not to sound like a knob, But what are Desert Island Discs? And no, I'm not googling it.

Sounds cool though. I'd rather have it explained here. What's that about?

Login to get fewer ads

CLASS MUSIC THREAD - 1 song each - I'll begin. on 07:54 - May 12 with 674 viewswessex_exile

CLASS MUSIC THREAD - 1 song each - I'll begin. on 04:45 - May 12 by Barsidepete

Not to sound like a knob, But what are Desert Island Discs? And no, I'm not googling it.

Sounds cool though. I'd rather have it explained here. What's that about?

Seriously Pete! It's been running on the radio since the Second World War - you've never heard of it? Basic premise, you're deserted on a desert island, you must choose 8 songs to keep you company whilst you're there. The means to play them is always assumed, and in more recent years you could also choose one luxury item and one book (I believe the complete works of Shakespeare and a Gideons bible are also provided).

Up the U's

CLASS MUSIC THREAD - 1 song each - I'll begin. on 08:12 - May 12 with 669 viewsBarsidepete

CLASS MUSIC THREAD - 1 song each - I'll begin. on 07:54 - May 12 by wessex_exile

Seriously Pete! It's been running on the radio since the Second World War - you've never heard of it? Basic premise, you're deserted on a desert island, you must choose 8 songs to keep you company whilst you're there. The means to play them is always assumed, and in more recent years you could also choose one luxury item and one book (I believe the complete works of Shakespeare and a Gideons bible are also provided).

Aha, brilliant. I'll contribute tomorrow. 3 a.m. here now and don't ask why I'm still up in the states, Wessex. Had writing and such to deal with. Now need some sleep.

I thought this was created in 1942 via Roy Plomley, and had an inkling it was about classics of back in the day.

And guest presenters who selected recordings for a show or summat.

Cheers for the clarification, Wes

CLASS MUSIC THREAD - 1 song each - I'll begin. on 09:10 - May 12 with 660 viewsTheOldOakTree

CLASS MUSIC THREAD - 1 song each - I'll begin. on 07:54 - May 12 by wessex_exile

Talking of desert islands reminds me of the Two Ronnie’s joke from Ronnie Corbett that went something like (stop reading now if you are over 30):-

A man is stranded on a desert island for 10 years, one day a beautiful girl swims ashore in a wetsuit. “Hi” she says “How long has it been since you've had a cigarette?". “It's been 10 years!" says the man. With this the girl unzips a slot on the arm of her wetsuit and gives the man a cigarette. "So tell me how long has it been since you had a drink?" "It's been 10 years!" repeats the man. The girl unzips another pocket on her wetsuit and comes out with a flask of whisky. "Oh thank you so much" says the man. The girl starts to unzip the front of her wet suit and says "So tell me then, how long has it been since you played around?" "Oh, my God” the man shouts…….

….“don’t tell me you’ve got a set of golf clubs in there!”
[Post edited 12 May 2015 9:39]
CLASS MUSIC THREAD - 1 song each - I'll begin. on 20:50 - May 12 with 625 viewswessex_exile

CLASS MUSIC THREAD - 1 song each - I'll begin. on 09:10 - May 12 by TheOldOakTree

Talking of desert islands reminds me of the Two Ronnie’s joke from Ronnie Corbett that went something like (stop reading now if you are over 30):-

A man is stranded on a desert island for 10 years, one day a beautiful girl swims ashore in a wetsuit. “Hi” she says “How long has it been since you've had a cigarette?". “It's been 10 years!" says the man. With this the girl unzips a slot on the arm of her wetsuit and gives the man a cigarette. "So tell me how long has it been since you had a drink?" "It's been 10 years!" repeats the man. The girl unzips another pocket on her wetsuit and comes out with a flask of whisky. "Oh thank you so much" says the man. The girl starts to unzip the front of her wet suit and says "So tell me then, how long has it been since you played around?" "Oh, my God” the man shouts…….

….“don’t tell me you’ve got a set of golf clubs in there!”
[Post edited 12 May 2015 9:39]

A classic - it was, I thought, always a little harsh on Ronnie Corbett that he was inevitably measured against the genius that was Ronnie Barker - little Ron was quite a fine comic in his own right, and his timing was impeccable.

Up the U's

CLASS MUSIC THREAD - 1 song each - I'll begin. on 11:31 - May 13 with 598 viewsLeadbelly

Ronnie Corbett remains an excellent raconteur, master of the "shaggy dog" story.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024