Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
He who would Valiant be at the WHCS tonight! 11:58 - Oct 20 with 1041 viewsdurham_exile

TH leads his beleaguered charges against Port Vale this evening at the WHCS.

Frankly they were woeful on Saturday and tonight they have the opportunity to begin to put things right. Last season it was the deserved 2-1 win at rain soaked Vale Park which ultimately started the recovery, leading to that magnificent win against PNE on the final day.

TH continues to have defensive problems with injuries badly affecting his ability to play a decent right full back — Vincent Young and Brindley would definitely be vying for a start if fit. Now Tosin Olufemi was all at sea at the DW but he was not the only one who played poorly. Gilbey was shocking. Nevertheless tonight is all about the result , a 4th successive defeat would not only undo all the good September work, but also take away what confidence remains before the Saddlers arrive on Saturday.

The Championship sharks are also sniffing around George Moncur (January will be a problem retaining his services) and TH must surely return him to the starting line-up this evening. Why was he dropped in the first place? The golden rule is you play your best and strongest available XI for every game.

This is also a night for George Elokobi to return to the team. It is ludicrous to ignore his talent and experience and he was always a favourite of mine whilst at Layer Road. I would also try Frankie Kent at Right Back after all he operated there for much of the game on Saturday in a back three formation.

Sadly Gavin Massey cannot be risked and if there is any doubt then neither should Owen Garvan. Second half with 30 to go could see Garvan make an appearance if fit.

That means a welcome return to 4 — 3 - 3 and a line up as follows:

Jones

Kent Eastman Elokobi Briggs

Ambrose Moncur Edwards

Harriott Porter Sordell

Subs:

Parish James Wright Sembie-Ferris Garvan Bonne Szmodics

On Saturday TH naively seemed amazed that the Latics would have hit the ground running and gone for the jugular from the word go. If he has learned one thing about this League, it is all about imposing yourself on the game. The players are there to do this, but they need inspiring words and motivation from the Manager.

The recent shocking results will reflect in another sparse crowd tonight (just over 2,000). Do not forget whether you like it or not the paying public are entitled to their opinion and the more vocal members will surely voice it.

No team has a right to automatic and slavish support from a rose tinted minority. Equally surely no-one turns up and wants their team to play badly and get poor results.

Support the team (even if you can’t stand TH) and encourage them to perform in order to get the wheels back on the wagon. From the first whistle to the last it is all about the result tonight. Anyone would take a 1-0 scrambled win at this point.

A clean sheet would be a bonus, but for once it would be nice for a ripple of applause to sound around the WHCS rather than boos and hisses directed toward everyone’s favourite pantomime villain - TH.

Try and enjoy the game!

Up the U’s

Is Doogie yet fully coaching badges qualified I wonder!!!

Humes Out!

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be at the WHCS tonight! on 20:31 - Oct 20 with 980 viewsdurham_exile

Big George
59% possession
6 shots
3 on target
Port Vale have incurred two injuries and subsequent substitutions
Come on the U's

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be at the WHCS tonight! on 20:33 - Oct 20 with 979 viewsdurham_exile

He who would Valiant be at the WHCS tonight! on 20:31 - Oct 20 by durham_exile

Big George
59% possession
6 shots
3 on target
Port Vale have incurred two injuries and subsequent substitutions
Come on the U's

And of course we never make it easy now 1-1

Up the U's

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be at the WHCS tonight! on 20:36 - Oct 20 with 978 viewsdurham_exile

He who would Valiant be at the WHCS tonight! on 20:33 - Oct 20 by durham_exile

And of course we never make it easy now 1-1

Up the U's

HT 1-1

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be at the WHCS tonight! on 20:59 - Oct 20 with 968 viewsdurham_exile

He who would Valiant be at the WHCS tonight! on 20:36 - Oct 20 by durham_exile

HT 1-1

Edwards replaces Garvan because of injury - let us hope that it is not serious

Up the U's

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be at the WHCS tonight! on 21:48 - Oct 20 with 942 viewswessex_exile

Strong, resilient performance, and a well-deserved 2-1 victory for the U's. On recent form, that Port Vale equaliser right on the stroke of half-time could have undone us, but a gritty second half earns the 3pts, and the U's back into winning ways. Another one like that on Saturday and we can hopefully put the horror show of 90 minutes of football (4 conceded second half against Shrewsbury, 4 conceded first half against Wigan) behind us?

Up the top half of the table U's!!!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

He who would Valiant be at the WHCS tonight! on 22:32 - Oct 20 with 929 viewsTheOldOakTree

He who would Valiant be at the WHCS tonight! on 21:48 - Oct 20 by wessex_exile

Strong, resilient performance, and a well-deserved 2-1 victory for the U's. On recent form, that Port Vale equaliser right on the stroke of half-time could have undone us, but a gritty second half earns the 3pts, and the U's back into winning ways. Another one like that on Saturday and we can hopefully put the horror show of 90 minutes of football (4 conceded second half against Shrewsbury, 4 conceded first half against Wigan) behind us?

Up the top half of the table U's!!!

Good alround team effort and quite comfortable win at the end. Listening to TH on the radio on the way home it sounds like Garvan is not badly injured and it's a different knock to the one that kept him out Saturday.

Harriot was awesome and with Charlton in trouble is there a chance he could be recalled?

Big test on Saturday, let's hope we get a better ref than tonight.
He who would Valiant be at the WHCS tonight! on 22:33 - Oct 20 with 928 viewsbwildered

Good workmen like performance, which should be the standard for this level, a more entertaining first half, with three good save by Jones. The U 's up the ante when required with time to go, and see it home.
Done enough, but more improvement in ball retention would aid the cause somewhat, with too many stray passes.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

He who would Valiant be at the WHCS tonight! on 22:41 - Oct 20 with 918 viewsnoah4x4

I have decided not to do a full match report as I am fed up of the constant ("Humes out”) negativity that always follows whenever we lose in whatever circumstances. But tonight we were well worth the three points that take us back into the top half of the league table.

We played the sort of quality on the deck football that we have been accustomed to regularly seeing until the end of September before being blighted by injuries. Everybody put in a decent shift. This result means it is still only one league defeat at home since March. The (BBC) statistics perhaps say everything; U's 59% possession; 15 shots; 8 on target; score 2-1 (perhaps should have been more). Admittedly, Vale did have their chances; and Jamie Jones did a great job in goal; but a hard fought U's win was justified in every respect.

1.357 points per game to date suggests a potential 62 point season; which last year would put us in the top half of the table at the season’s end (e.g. exactly where we are now). OK, the wheels did recently come off for 90 minutes (e.g. during second half v Shrewsbury + first half v Wigan); and that was frustrating; but we are heading in the right direction.

Again I repeat what I sincerely believe. Tony Humes cannot ever kick the football for the team. Today all the participant players turned up. All players did their jobs. Admittedly, we didn't play a team of the quality of Wigan; but Port Vale are far from shabby. Next a mere point on Saturday (Walsall) will be a blessing, but our ability to put the ball in the net now makes this NEW squad assembled by Tony Humes entirely different from the past albeit we that still have some defensive frailties. If we didn't have those; we might be league leaders. I suggest that we must give Humes another transfer window and to the end of the season to get this right. A seventh manager in as many years simply doesn't make sense.
Login to get fewer ads

He who would Valiant be at the WHCS tonight! on 22:58 - Oct 20 with 907 viewsLeadbelly

He who would Valiant be at the WHCS tonight! on 22:41 - Oct 20 by noah4x4

I have decided not to do a full match report as I am fed up of the constant ("Humes out”) negativity that always follows whenever we lose in whatever circumstances. But tonight we were well worth the three points that take us back into the top half of the league table.

We played the sort of quality on the deck football that we have been accustomed to regularly seeing until the end of September before being blighted by injuries. Everybody put in a decent shift. This result means it is still only one league defeat at home since March. The (BBC) statistics perhaps say everything; U's 59% possession; 15 shots; 8 on target; score 2-1 (perhaps should have been more). Admittedly, Vale did have their chances; and Jamie Jones did a great job in goal; but a hard fought U's win was justified in every respect.

1.357 points per game to date suggests a potential 62 point season; which last year would put us in the top half of the table at the season’s end (e.g. exactly where we are now). OK, the wheels did recently come off for 90 minutes (e.g. during second half v Shrewsbury + first half v Wigan); and that was frustrating; but we are heading in the right direction.

Again I repeat what I sincerely believe. Tony Humes cannot ever kick the football for the team. Today all the participant players turned up. All players did their jobs. Admittedly, we didn't play a team of the quality of Wigan; but Port Vale are far from shabby. Next a mere point on Saturday (Walsall) will be a blessing, but our ability to put the ball in the net now makes this NEW squad assembled by Tony Humes entirely different from the past albeit we that still have some defensive frailties. If we didn't have those; we might be league leaders. I suggest that we must give Humes another transfer window and to the end of the season to get this right. A seventh manager in as many years simply doesn't make sense.

Worth three points although I thought Jones kept us in it first half. Chances both ends and they could have had three goals. Marriott worked his nuts off as did Sordell. George took his goal well and stuck it in row Z when in doubt.

One question...if everyone did their job could someone explain what job Briggs has been given? His constant poor positioning drives me nuts and his passing and forward runs were poor tonight.

Hume's out!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

He who would Valiant be at the WHCS tonight! on 14:02 - Oct 21 with 819 viewsBarsidepete

He who would Valiant be at the WHCS tonight! on 22:58 - Oct 20 by Leadbelly

Worth three points although I thought Jones kept us in it first half. Chances both ends and they could have had three goals. Marriott worked his nuts off as did Sordell. George took his goal well and stuck it in row Z when in doubt.

One question...if everyone did their job could someone explain what job Briggs has been given? His constant poor positioning drives me nuts and his passing and forward runs were poor tonight.

Hume's out!

I had it 2-1 in Daniel's league -- although, admittedly, i had been a bit more pessimistic lately

I just knew PV would right the ship.

A realistic shot at the playoffs late March, early April, that's all I ask for.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024