Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can we afford to not play Mackenzie, Davies or even Grant? 11:25 - Aug 5 with 2765 viewsstraightatthewall

Lifting the topic from a thread on the old site, but I think it's a relevent question to ask.

Mackenzie is a difficult one, because I know many were appalled at his attitude and performances in the second half of the season, but prior to that he'd been an excellent performer for me. Maybe not a ball playing centre back, but certainly one who had good attributes in the Championship. We didn't concede much from set pieces for example.

Is there a possible way back after this 'injury' has cleared up? Or does the fact that we all know that he's not injured at all mean he's out of here along with the other 2 - and maybe even Dunne?

We got Bogdanovic, Oyston got very rich

Can we afford to not play Mackenzie, Davies or even Grant? on 11:35 - Aug 5 with 2744 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Good questions all.

I've a feeling that Grant will go out on loan. Mckenzie won't be near the first team unless we have injuries, though you make a decent case for him. Davies? Remains to be seen.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

Can we afford to not play Mackenzie, Davies or even Grant? on 11:38 - Aug 5 with 2740 viewsvoyeur

I think only time will tell. We may know quite soon. Players sometimes decide they have had enough, but after a load of change, they gradually come round to the new scenario. And playing under Riga may well be significantly more enjoyable than last season's experience. If we get enough quality players in. Riga may be saying to them, I understand, I am not happy myself, but let's see where we are at the end of August. Alternatively, Riga may have decided they don't figure in his plans. He may not have decided yet. It will all fall into place by 1st September.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2014 11:39]

I am a nutter. I come from the sea.

Can we afford to not play Mackenzie, Davies or even Grant? on 11:38 - Aug 5 with 2736 viewsUnsworthTangerine

We CAN afford not to play them ....IF we get better in.

If no players come in that are better then they have to played.

I think it's as simple as that.
Can we afford to not play Mackenzie, Davies or even Grant? on 11:41 - Aug 5 with 2717 viewsstraightatthewall

Can we afford to not play Mackenzie, Davies or even Grant? on 11:35 - Aug 5 by basilrobbiereborn

Good questions all.

I've a feeling that Grant will go out on loan. Mckenzie won't be near the first team unless we have injuries, though you make a decent case for him. Davies? Remains to be seen.

I think we have to accept that Grant just isn't good enough. It was a punt that didn't come off. The more he plays this season will be a good indication of whether we have any real chance of staying up or not. Right now however, we need bodies as much as anything, so there's a 'needs must' case in his defence.

Davies is also a real problem. Terrible buy, not because of his ability, but because there was obviously no thought put into what he would bring and how he would compliment what we already add. Frankly, I'd say the same about the Fonz unless we get some players in sharpish as he's had more than enough chances to change my view that he needs a target man to play alongside if he's playing through the middle and he's never once managed to convince me that I'm wrong.

Can we afford to not play Mackenzie, Davies or even Grant? on 11:44 - Aug 5 with 2706 viewsYarmouthSeasider

Can we afford to not play Mackenzie, Davies or even Grant? on 11:38 - Aug 5 by UnsworthTangerine

We CAN afford not to play them ....IF we get better in.

If no players come in that are better then they have to played.

I think it's as simple as that.

I think that Voy calls it right, perhaps they will take to the new regime once we have the bodies to make things interesting (and we seem to be getting there gradually) they may have already shafted themselves by showing their intentions to early to Riga.
I think we can probably do better than all three, with Davies being a possible exception, if he gets his head right.

But the bottom line should be, if they don't want to play for us, then off you go

Don't take life too seriously, it's not permanent

Can we afford to not play Mackenzie, Davies or even Grant? on 11:52 - Aug 5 with 2678 viewsTrashcan_Man

Can we afford to not play Mackenzie, Davies or even Grant? on 11:41 - Aug 5 by straightatthewall

I think we have to accept that Grant just isn't good enough. It was a punt that didn't come off. The more he plays this season will be a good indication of whether we have any real chance of staying up or not. Right now however, we need bodies as much as anything, so there's a 'needs must' case in his defence.

Davies is also a real problem. Terrible buy, not because of his ability, but because there was obviously no thought put into what he would bring and how he would compliment what we already add. Frankly, I'd say the same about the Fonz unless we get some players in sharpish as he's had more than enough chances to change my view that he needs a target man to play alongside if he's playing through the middle and he's never once managed to convince me that I'm wrong.

The best game I saw Davies play for us was Bazza's first in charge (Birmingham?) when he paired Davies and Chopra up front. Davies handed three or four decent chances to Chopra and his running off the ball was intelligent, creating the space that Chopra did nowt with.

So - I reckon he plays well as a pair but as we played with one waaaay up front on his own last season, we never really saw what he could do. He banged in 15 or so in a poor Bristol side the previous season. Maybe Riga can unlock the potential that Ince chained up.

Feel calm now I've got my first post in...
Can we afford to not play Mackenzie, Davies or even Grant? on 11:56 - Aug 5 with 2658 viewsTangerinePeteFY8

I would not have played GMac even when we were down to a squad of 8 !!!

I would be disappointed if he fitted into JoseRigas style of play.

2nd half of last season opposition were letting him have the ball unopposed, knowing they would very quickly get it back, as he punted it aimlessly back to them. Same with Broadfoot.
They could both head away high crosses - but any decent centre half should be able to do that.
Can we afford to not play Mackenzie, Davies or even Grant? on 11:56 - Aug 5 with 2657 viewsstraightatthewall

Can we afford to not play Mackenzie, Davies or even Grant? on 11:44 - Aug 5 by YarmouthSeasider

I think that Voy calls it right, perhaps they will take to the new regime once we have the bodies to make things interesting (and we seem to be getting there gradually) they may have already shafted themselves by showing their intentions to early to Riga.
I think we can probably do better than all three, with Davies being a possible exception, if he gets his head right.

But the bottom line should be, if they don't want to play for us, then off you go

Yarmouth,

can't disagree with the final line. The question here is what is true and what isn't. How much does each player earn for example and what percentage of those earnings are made up of performance related incentives?

The answer to those questions might give us a better idea around why they are currently 'injured' and subject to speculation that they don't want to play. Perhaps they've been told they can only play with changes to their incentive scheme? Perhaps the manager has been told that he can play them, but he'll be losing a big chunk of his weekly/monthly budget every time he picks them?

I also think Voy makes a very good point about the rehabilitation needed to bring players back into the fold. Last season turned very sour, very quickly. There were casualties along the way and those casualties were a direct result of the poor mis-management of the club by it's owners. We can talk about professional behaviour all we like, but if we refuse to acknowledge that one thing impacts onto another then we're fools of the highest order.

I doubt we'll see them in tangerine again. I can't say they will be a great loss in the big scheme of things. But I'm also not convinced that losing them will be a surefire way to success either. It's really just about rearranging chairs on the Titanic to some extent.

Login to get fewer ads

Can we afford to not play Mackenzie, Davies or even Grant? on 11:57 - Aug 5 with 2652 viewsGhost

Can we afford to not play Mackenzie, Davies or even Grant? on 11:52 - Aug 5 by Trashcan_Man

The best game I saw Davies play for us was Bazza's first in charge (Birmingham?) when he paired Davies and Chopra up front. Davies handed three or four decent chances to Chopra and his running off the ball was intelligent, creating the space that Chopra did nowt with.

So - I reckon he plays well as a pair but as we played with one waaaay up front on his own last season, we never really saw what he could do. He banged in 15 or so in a poor Bristol side the previous season. Maybe Riga can unlock the potential that Ince chained up.

Feel calm now I've got my first post in...

I have no clue whats gone on with these but of the three would have liked to see Davies play this season
Can we afford to not play Mackenzie, Davies or even Grant? on 11:58 - Aug 5 with 2649 viewsSeasideKurt

Can we afford to not play Mackenzie, Davies or even Grant? on 11:56 - Aug 5 by straightatthewall

Yarmouth,

can't disagree with the final line. The question here is what is true and what isn't. How much does each player earn for example and what percentage of those earnings are made up of performance related incentives?

The answer to those questions might give us a better idea around why they are currently 'injured' and subject to speculation that they don't want to play. Perhaps they've been told they can only play with changes to their incentive scheme? Perhaps the manager has been told that he can play them, but he'll be losing a big chunk of his weekly/monthly budget every time he picks them?

I also think Voy makes a very good point about the rehabilitation needed to bring players back into the fold. Last season turned very sour, very quickly. There were casualties along the way and those casualties were a direct result of the poor mis-management of the club by it's owners. We can talk about professional behaviour all we like, but if we refuse to acknowledge that one thing impacts onto another then we're fools of the highest order.

I doubt we'll see them in tangerine again. I can't say they will be a great loss in the big scheme of things. But I'm also not convinced that losing them will be a surefire way to success either. It's really just about rearranging chairs on the Titanic to some extent.

Davies could thrive under Riga it is just whether his heart is in it or not.
Can we afford to not play Mackenzie, Davies or even Grant? on 12:07 - Aug 5 with 2624 viewsOwain_Glyndwr

Can we afford to not play Mackenzie, Davies or even Grant? on 11:35 - Aug 5 by basilrobbiereborn

Good questions all.

I don't think G Mac wants to be around that place now that bird from the Hotel has gone to Ibiza

The seeker of truth and justice

Can we afford to not play Mackenzie, Davies or even Grant? on 12:13 - Aug 5 with 2612 viewsstraightatthewall

Can we afford to not play Mackenzie, Davies or even Grant? on 12:07 - Aug 5 by Owain_Glyndwr

I don't think G Mac wants to be around that place now that bird from the Hotel has gone to Ibiza

Not seen her. Is he right?

Can we afford to not play Mackenzie, Davies or even Grant? on 12:42 - Aug 5 with 2579 viewscleveleysbfc

Can we afford to not play Mackenzie, Davies or even Grant? on 12:13 - Aug 5 by straightatthewall

Not seen her. Is he right?

time to cancel G Mac's contract and to go separate ways.....think he has burnt a few bridges
Can we afford to not play Mackenzie, Davies or even Grant? on 12:46 - Aug 5 with 2563 viewsForever_Tangerine

I like Davies but last season he got no service so hardly had the ball which obviously means that he couldn't score goals but also when he did get the ball there was nobody even near him so then he had to beat 3 or 4 defenders which isn't going to happen without support. If he's got support and someone to pass to then he bang in the goals as I think he's a quality championship striker.
Can we afford to not play Mackenzie, Davies or even Grant? on 12:53 - Aug 5 with 2538 viewsspider29

Can we afford to not play Mackenzie, Davies or even Grant? on 12:46 - Aug 5 by Forever_Tangerine

I like Davies but last season he got no service so hardly had the ball which obviously means that he couldn't score goals but also when he did get the ball there was nobody even near him so then he had to beat 3 or 4 defenders which isn't going to happen without support. If he's got support and someone to pass to then he bang in the goals as I think he's a quality championship striker.

Course we can...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024