Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? 11:35 - Aug 5 with 3076 viewssmojo

Poll: Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST?

Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 11:46 - Aug 5 with 3046 viewsStunty

They should change their name to Blackpool Supporters Travel.

That's all they do now isn't it?

@Stunty365 - Cash, Gash, Pie & Mash

Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 13:33 - Aug 5 with 2990 viewssmojo

Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 11:46 - Aug 5 by Stunty

I just think we need to clear up the ambiguity around who represents "the voice of the fans".

This is just an attempt at a straw poll but at what point do BSA stop being the official supporters group?

If they still have the numbers and the votes then fair enough - they deserve to be there and operate as they have been doing as they have done some good work in the past. I just get the feeling that this is not the common feeling and by combining their efforts with BST there would be a much more effective outcome.

Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 17:22 - Aug 5 with 2941 viewsspell_chekker

As of present, only 24 people have voted.

Can't be considered as a representative cross section.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 11:15 - Aug 6 with 2917 viewssmojo

Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 17:22 - Aug 5 by spell_chekker

As of present, only 24 people have voted.

Can't be considered as a representative cross section.

I agree - I haven't suggested either way.

It would be good to get some more votes though...

Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 11:48 - Aug 6 with 2881 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 11:46 - Aug 5 by Stunty

I know that was supposed to be a dismissive comment, but it's precisely the reason why BSA should not and hopefully will not fold.

Quite a lot of people want to travel to watch us away from home ; BSA therefore fulfil a need. It might not be very glamorous, but I don't see anyone else offering to do it.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 11:49 - Aug 6 with 2877 viewsscratchingshed

Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 11:48 - Aug 6 by basilrobbiereborn

I know that was supposed to be a dismissive comment, but it's precisely the reason why BSA should not and hopefully will not fold.

Quite a lot of people want to travel to watch us away from home ; BSA therefore fulfil a need. It might not be very glamorous, but I don't see anyone else offering to do it.

Certain people on here would have nothing to moan about if they joined ranks.
Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 11:52 - Aug 6 with 2874 viewsFiftyShadesOfGrayson

Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 11:48 - Aug 6 by basilrobbiereborn

The travel thing is clearly of benefit to those who aren't driving etc, that's without doubt.

What's spurious though is the use of 'The Voice of The Fans' tagline on their website.

Voice of some of the fans but not as loud as the other voice for more of the fans at BST.

"We're the envy of the Skrill conference"

Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 12:31 - Aug 6 with 2835 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 11:52 - Aug 6 by FiftyShadesOfGrayson

The travel thing is clearly of benefit to those who aren't driving etc, that's without doubt.

What's spurious though is the use of 'The Voice of The Fans' tagline on their website.

Voice of some of the fans but not as loud as the other voice for more of the fans at BST.

"The Voice" / "A Voice" does generate a lot of heat and light, doesn't it?

The other point I'd make FSOG - and I don't know whether you will agree with it - is that as long as there is no formal dialogue between club and BST, they (BSA) need to be around for that too. However unsatisfactory people think the KO/GB relationship is, I think it is better than nothing.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

Login to get fewer ads

Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 12:37 - Aug 6 with 2818 viewsFountain

Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 12:31 - Aug 6 by basilrobbiereborn

The other point I'd make FSOG - and I don't know whether you will agree with it - is that as long as there is no formal dialogue between club and BST, they (BSA) need to be around for that too. However unsatisfactory people think the KO/GB relationship is, I think it is better than nothing.

You can equally argue that the relationship between BSA/Ko acts as a buffer and as such serves to dilute any chances of KO being answerable to the 'masses'.

My take is BSA should not fold- travel is one reason, the projects another. However they should remove themselves from direct football matters and not comment as an organisation.

slap me on the patio

Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 12:40 - Aug 6 with 2813 viewsInBSAWeTrust

Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 12:31 - Aug 6 by basilrobbiereborn

In short...

No
Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 12:41 - Aug 6 with 2810 viewsHannibal_de_Seaside

I don't know how many members BSA have, but guess it's less than 1,000. BST have around 700 last time I saw a figure quoted (last week I think).

With such small memberships neither can realistically claim to be "the voice of the fans".

One group gets to talk to the club's executives, the other doesn't. One can operate from within, the other from without.

Both are useful and needed. To be more effective the bickering between the two - or more realistically sniping from BST followers at BSA, as I don't see any BSA people other than Glenn Bowley responding on behalf of BSA - should stop. Sensible co-operation and dialogue between the two committees should (and probably does) take place.
Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 13:44 - Aug 6 with 2762 viewsterminallytangerine

Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 12:41 - Aug 6 by Hannibal_de_Seaside

I don't know how many members BSA have, but guess it's less than 1,000. BST have around 700 last time I saw a figure quoted (last week I think).

With such small memberships neither can realistically claim to be "the voice of the fans".

One group gets to talk to the club's executives, the other doesn't. One can operate from within, the other from without.

Both are useful and needed. To be more effective the bickering between the two - or more realistically sniping from BST followers at BSA, as I don't see any BSA people other than Glenn Bowley responding on behalf of BSA - should stop. Sensible co-operation and dialogue between the two committees should (and probably does) take place.

There is something rather absurd and undemocratic about a poll in which those who don’t want to join BSA have the opportunity to vote to close it down.

Can you imagine a similar poll to close down BASIL or YS or BST?

If there were I would be the first to say no as I value free speech and people’s right to choose — and I would expect anyone who shares this view to vote no in this poll.

There is no evidence that if BSA wasn’t there KO would deal directly with an organization some of whose members — though ostensibly not its leadership — are committed to regime change or that if he did they would be any more successful than an organization committed to dialogue (and direct criticism where necessary) as the only way forward. Time will tell whether this view is the correct one but in the meantime mutual respect and coexistence rather than hegemony seem to me to be the most reasonable and democratic option.
Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 13:53 - Aug 6 with 2756 viewsclappers

Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 13:44 - Aug 6 by terminallytangerine

There is something rather absurd and undemocratic about a poll in which those who don’t want to join BSA have the opportunity to vote to close it down.

Can you imagine a similar poll to close down BASIL or YS or BST?

If there were I would be the first to say no as I value free speech and people’s right to choose — and I would expect anyone who shares this view to vote no in this poll.

There is no evidence that if BSA wasn’t there KO would deal directly with an organization some of whose members — though ostensibly not its leadership — are committed to regime change or that if he did they would be any more successful than an organization committed to dialogue (and direct criticism where necessary) as the only way forward. Time will tell whether this view is the correct one but in the meantime mutual respect and coexistence rather than hegemony seem to me to be the most reasonable and democratic option.

As a member of both, I would vote for BSA to dissolve and leave the trust to act in the best interests of supporters. Its up to the members, but I have more confidence in the trust than I have in BSA to be the voice of the fans.

Those that don't agree like Big Hands can always form their own Oyston Supporters Club and see how many paying members that attracts

If you have the urge to stand and shout...it has to be for OYSTON OUT!

Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 13:56 - Aug 6 with 2747 viewsFiftyShadesOfGrayson

I understand that BRR - but there was apparently a 3hr meeting last week between the 2 and nothing was reported to the fans i don't think, or did i miss it?

Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 14:31 - Aug 6 with 2716 viewswee_Bob

Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 13:56 - Aug 6 by FiftyShadesOfGrayson

I understand that BRR - but there was apparently a 3hr meeting last week between the 2 and nothing was reported to the fans i don't think, or did i miss it?

Don't really have an opinion either way but can I say we seem to have left the idiots behind on the old site because I'm the posts and threads are of a much better quality. On the old site this would have degenerated in to an unpalatable row. Keep them off the site!
Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 14:39 - Aug 6 with 2703 viewsterminallytangerine

Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 14:31 - Aug 6 by wee_Bob

Don't really have an opinion either way but can I say we seem to have left the idiots behind on the old site because I'm the posts and threads are of a much better quality. On the old site this would have degenerated in to an unpalatable row. Keep them off the site!

Agreed Wee Bob.

Let us agree to differ and not cloud the issue by inaccurate name calling: the Oyston Supporters Club is neither an accurate depiction of BSA or its membership nor a fair summation of those who have worked hard for the benefit of the club and its supporters.

Let's argue the issues rather than slip back into the old ways which meant that many people felt it useless to contribute to a discussion board whose members weren't prepared to give fellow supporters the benefit of the doubt.
Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 15:08 - Aug 6 with 2680 viewsInBSAWeTrust

Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 14:39 - Aug 6 by terminallytangerine

Agreed Wee Bob.

Let us agree to differ and not cloud the issue by inaccurate name calling: the Oyston Supporters Club is neither an accurate depiction of BSA or its membership nor a fair summation of those who have worked hard for the benefit of the club and its supporters.

Let's argue the issues rather than slip back into the old ways which meant that many people felt it useless to contribute to a discussion board whose members weren't prepared to give fellow supporters the benefit of the doubt.

Competition is healthy; unlike our first team places
Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 15:45 - Aug 6 with 2658 viewssmojo

Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 14:39 - Aug 6 by terminallytangerine

Agreed Wee Bob.

I think that if BSA serves a purpose then it has to stay for reasons like travel & projects already mentioned. The issue comes down to what the supporters want from BFC and what they wish to portray to the media.

The idea of this poll was to start debate - if there is a place for both then that's fine and maybe competition is healthy but at the moment it seems like both are fighting for fan recognition and power when they are trying to achieve the same goal. We simply cannot have 2 "voice of the fans" that speak on behalf of all fans.

BST clearly state that they represent their members whilst BSA claim to represent members and fans of BFC and are the voice of the fans. Both could exist but BSA need to change their stance slightly and represent those who support them and BST need to amend their long term goals regarding the representation of "all" supporters. Maybe that is the way forward to co-exist....
[Post edited 6 Aug 2014 15:49]

Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST? on 15:48 - Aug 6 with 2651 viewsFiftyShadesOfGrayson

Still no news on the 3 hour meeting with KOKO.

If it's confidential then maybe change Voice of The Fans to Ear of The Chairman.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024