Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One year deals 12:14 - Aug 5 with 1210 viewsBisphamSeasider

Whats the point of putting everyone on one year deals? If they have a good season they will just leave to another club for more money and then were in the same position again!
One year deals on 12:17 - Aug 5 with 1193 viewsstraightatthewall

Control the risk. The only alternative to a one year deal is a 10 year deal. It's this way or potential financial meltdown for the Oyston fami...I mean the football club.

We got Bogdanovic, Oyston got very rich

One year deals on 12:17 - Aug 5 with 1193 viewsOld_Laytonian

short-termism:

concentration on short-term projects or objectives for immediate profit at the expense of long-term security.

Think that explains it
One year deals on 12:23 - Aug 5 with 1157 viewsHannibal_de_Seaside

I think it's a feature of the lateness of the decision making and lack of time to plan properly. If Riga really knew he wanted these players on a long term basis I reckon we would be on the usual 2+1 year basis, but he's had to pull in people without thorough research so a 1+1 is a probably holding measure. If after a few months he wants to keep them the contract can be renegotiated during the season.

Not ideal I know
One year deals on 12:28 - Aug 5 with 1144 viewsstraightatthewall

One year deals on 12:23 - Aug 5 by Hannibal_de_Seaside

I think it's a feature of the lateness of the decision making and lack of time to plan properly. If Riga really knew he wanted these players on a long term basis I reckon we would be on the usual 2+1 year basis, but he's had to pull in people without thorough research so a 1+1 is a probably holding measure. If after a few months he wants to keep them the contract can be renegotiated during the season.

Not ideal I know

Hanners,

I agree with the logic, but do you really think a deal will be renegotiated mid-season?

We got Bogdanovic, Oyston got very rich

One year deals on 12:28 - Aug 5 with 1139 viewsTrashcan_Man

Not ideal I know

Have we ever, in the Karl era, renegotiated a contract partway through a season, apart from Tom Ince?

I noticed Rovers added another couple of years to Jordan Rhodes' deal well before it was up. Don't recall us ever having the foresight to do the same - it was obvious Tom was going so I don't think that counts - KO was just after the comp money.
One year deals on 12:28 - Aug 5 with 1139 viewsSeasider91

Not ideal I know

Not ideal but it does protect the club from having shite players on the books for several seasons

"We shall take baby steps up the league" Ian Holloway in July 2009

One year deals on 12:30 - Aug 5 with 1127 viewstangerine77

One year deals on 12:28 - Aug 5 by straightatthewall

Hanners,

I agree with the logic, but do you really think a deal will be renegotiated mid-season?

There 2 year contracts in the clubs favour, if there shit we get rid after 1 year but if there decent we take the option of another year.
One year deals on 12:35 - Aug 5 with 1101 viewsSouthshorepool

They do have one year options in the clubs favour. Agree though in that it can be limiting.
I notice we're not the only club doing this. The last two signings at Ipswich were also one plus one yr option.

Mainstream music is sh!t!

Login to get fewer ads

One year deals on 12:37 - Aug 5 with 1087 viewsLytham_FY8

That's all we offer though, other clubs offer more, just another reason to miss out on players we want, along with the training ground, wages, general air of incompetence around the gaff etc.....

"The money has not been taken out of the football club to pay for this hotel, but the money will be borrowed to build the hotel in part or whole"

One year deals on 12:37 - Aug 5 with 1081 viewsForever_Tangerine

One year deals on 12:35 - Aug 5 by Southshorepool

They do have one year options in the clubs favour. Agree though in that it can be limiting.
I notice we're not the only club doing this. The last two signings at Ipswich were also one plus one yr option.

They can be handy but I don't know why Karl hasn't given player like Oriol a 3 year contract as we all know he's quality and if he does do well after 2 years he will be gone anyway.
One year deals on 12:39 - Aug 5 with 1078 viewsSeasider91

Exactly Tangerine 77, I would rather see us have 1 years worth of wasted wages than 2 years. Take Steve Davis as a prime example of this.

"We shall take baby steps up the league" Ian Holloway in July 2009

One year deals on 12:46 - Aug 5 with 1050 viewstangerine77

One year deals on 12:39 - Aug 5 by Seasider91

Exactly Tangerine 77, I would rather see us have 1 years worth of wasted wages than 2 years. Take Steve Davis as a prime example of this.

There is nothing wrong with the 1 + 1 deals, if you are paying big transfer fees then you want to protect your asset with a longer deal. We don't and take chances on out of contract players with no transfer value so a 1 + 1 deal suits us.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2014 12:50]
(No subject) (n/t) on 13:24 - Aug 5 with 1007 viewsbollieboy

One year deals on 12:46 - Aug 5 by tangerine77

There is nothing wrong with the 1 + 1 deals, if you are paying big transfer fees then you want to protect your asset with a longer deal. We don't and take chances on out of contract players with no transfer value so a 1 + 1 deal suits us.

One year deals on 13:24 - Aug 5 with 1007 viewsbollieboy

One year deals on 12:46 - Aug 5 by tangerine77

Last parachute payment this year. Give a year option so that KO can instigate if there is a chance of a fee.
One year deals on 13:27 - Aug 5 with 998 viewsleeoggy

One year deals on 13:24 - Aug 5 by bollieboy

Last parachute payment this year. Give a year option so that KO can instigate if there is a chance of a fee.

exit strategy maybe?

9 times
Poll: How many signings before close of play today?

One year deals on 13:38 - Aug 5 with 985 viewsHannibal_de_Seaside

One year deals on 12:28 - Aug 5 by straightatthewall

Hanners,

In the past we haven't operated on the 1+1 basis, so Riga might prefer to work this way in the short term. I don't see why renegotiations won't take place during the season - perhaps with extensions added after the January window. New manager, perhaps a new way of working in the short term? Who knows.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024