Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sorry Ollie 14:44 - Sep 9 with 3053 viewsCurryman

When Ollie left us in the middle of the season I wrote a very strongly worded letter to him basically stating how inconsiderate he had been and how my opinion of him had plunged. Since then we have seen a parade of managers coming and going, the club reaching new lows daily and the disdane of both fans and employees by the family increasing at break neck speed.

I now look back at the 'good old ollie days' and wonder how that man put up with what others have failed to do. Either Ollie is a very patient and laid back individual, unflappable or maybe just stupid, I don't know, but, having seen the continual demise of the club since his departure I now regret having written that letter and feel I need to put the fact on record.

I will therefore be apologising to Ollie for my misunderstanding of the situation.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2014 14:46]

Love Blackpool, not the O's
Poll: Whi is responsiblke for our current mess?
Blog: Trust

Sorry Ollie on 16:01 - Sep 9 with 2985 viewswespens

You're not the only one Curryman - I'd had enough of Ollie at the time but I'd have him back tomorrow!!

Poll: Would you ever play John Lundstram again?

Sorry Ollie on 18:37 - Sep 9 with 2894 viewsonlyonepool

Sorry Ollie on 16:01 - Sep 9 by wespens

You're not the only one Curryman - I'd had enough of Ollie at the time but I'd have him back tomorrow!!

Well done Curryman, as you say how on earth could he have put up with KO for THREE years?

Let us know if you get a reply.
Sorry Ollie on 19:03 - Sep 9 with 2872 viewscrewcut

I must say it was blindingly obvious to me that Ollie was being played at the time. No backing in a financial way for purchases or any interest whatsoever in the moving forward of the club.

Mission lower leagues, out of sight out of scrutiny distance, has been the plan since the selfish pocketing of the Lotto win. The coven sitting in a darkened room counting the cash and laughing at the fans they so despise keep on coming and paying his bar bills.

The Oyston bumspiders denigrating Ollie all over certain Boards poisoned the weak minded into accepting the avoidable Holloway departure.

A blooming scandal.
Sorry Ollie on 19:16 - Sep 9 with 2852 viewsTejas

I stopped coming on these message boards when some folk turned on Ollie. It really naffed me off. Ollie almost killed himself trying to work with KO and I was gutted when he left. I know why you wrote what you did Wilf but I'm glad of your change of heart.
Sorry Ollie on 20:03 - Sep 9 with 2834 viewsOneDaveBamber

Sorry Ollie on 19:16 - Sep 9 by Tejas

I stopped coming on these message boards when some folk turned on Ollie. It really naffed me off. Ollie almost killed himself trying to work with KO and I was gutted when he left. I know why you wrote what you did Wilf but I'm glad of your change of heart.

Wilf,

I remember your letter at the time and while I too was disappointed in the latter days of Holloway's reign, I was willing to excuse his behaviour given the amount of nonsense he'd been able to withstand. Everyone has their breaking point and we're now starting to see just how patient Holloway was. I think it's admirable that you feel so bold as to hold your hands up.

Ultimately, we've all been had over and it's only natural that people will realise it at different times. For me it was the moment the £11m became common knowledge, and many of those who poured scorn on me at the time for jumping to conclusions, and that "it was there to safeguard our legacy" have one by one come round to see the Oyston family for what they are.

Of course, a few still remain and that is their prerogative, but the stretch required to play devil's advocate seems more ridiculous by the day, in my humble opinion.
Sorry Ollie on 21:32 - Sep 9 with 2790 viewsFixitian

Sorry Ollie on 20:03 - Sep 9 by OneDaveBamber

Wilf,

I remember your letter at the time and while I too was disappointed in the latter days of Holloway's reign, I was willing to excuse his behaviour given the amount of nonsense he'd been able to withstand. Everyone has their breaking point and we're now starting to see just how patient Holloway was. I think it's admirable that you feel so bold as to hold your hands up.

Ultimately, we've all been had over and it's only natural that people will realise it at different times. For me it was the moment the £11m became common knowledge, and many of those who poured scorn on me at the time for jumping to conclusions, and that "it was there to safeguard our legacy" have one by one come round to see the Oyston family for what they are.

Of course, a few still remain and that is their prerogative, but the stretch required to play devil's advocate seems more ridiculous by the day, in my humble opinion.

Respect to you Wilf. It takes a real man to admit and rectify a mistake.
Sorry Ollie on 23:39 - Sep 9 with 2695 viewsvoyeur

I expressed my opinion of how wrong you were at the time CM, and now I return like a ghoul to a feast to remind you! But fair play for speaking up now and admitting your misunderstanding, and being prepared to correct it.

I was naffed off by the anger towards Ollie back then too, it was very misguided, and I really lost my interest at that moment, especially with the way Appleton was dragged here against his will. We were completely screwed by those two events.

I am a nutter. I come from the sea.

Sorry Ollie on 07:25 - Sep 10 with 2623 viewsLytham_FY8

Yep, kudos Currymeister.

It was very very sad to see people falling for the Oyston spin machine when Holloway left, I said on numerous occasions on the other site that as soon as he went it would all fall apart.

It's not nice to be right all the time, believe me.

"The money has not been taken out of the football club to pay for this hotel, but the money will be borrowed to build the hotel in part or whole"

Login to get fewer ads

Sorry Ollie on 07:37 - Sep 10 with 2615 viewsvoyeur

You're right again there, Lytham, it's a heavy burden. You also stuck around to sustain an unbroken righteousness rather than returning like a ghoul to gorge once more on the truth, so fair play Lytham_meister.

I am a nutter. I come from the sea.

Sorry Ollie on 22:02 - Sep 10 with 2486 viewsDon_K_Lasher

Sorry Ollie on 07:37 - Sep 10 by voyeur

You're right again there, Lytham, it's a heavy burden. You also stuck around to sustain an unbroken righteousness rather than returning like a ghoul to gorge once more on the truth, so fair play Lytham_meister.

If you get a reply let us know what the mad old Bristolian says.

Preston a City you're having a laugh! Preston a City you're having a laugh!

Sorry Ollie on 20:19 - Oct 14 with 2196 viewsWindyMiller

Sorry Ollie on 22:02 - Sep 10 by Don_K_Lasher

If you get a reply let us know what the mad old Bristolian says.

Everything is 'of it's time' and Ollie's period had come to a rightful end. I can't see he'd have repeated the successes of previous seasons and we were ripe for a change - sadly Appleton was the wrong man.

Poll: Should Karl Oyston resign or be sacked?

Sorry Ollie on 20:53 - Oct 14 with 2180 viewsHarryHorse

Sorry Ollie on 20:19 - Oct 14 by WindyMiller

Everything is 'of it's time' and Ollie's period had come to a rightful end. I can't see he'd have repeated the successes of previous seasons and we were ripe for a change - sadly Appleton was the wrong man.

Goodness there are a few old stagers on this thread and its all the better for it . I disagree with Windy, to get back to Wembley and then find ourselves top of the division (when nearly everyone including myself) was expecting a massive play off hangover was astonishing and said much for his powers of motivation . Even more astonishing was the speed of our demise . We were , in my opinion a couple of players short of going up again and my suspicion is Ollie asked for them (Campbell was one) and Karl said no . Whatever the circumstances of his departure soon after it was hardly a surprise if the circumstances are as I surmise .

He was the best thing to happen to Blackpool FC in my lifetime
[Post edited 14 Oct 2014 20:54]
Sorry Ollie on 21:05 - Oct 14 with 2165 viewsonlyonepool

Sorry Ollie on 20:53 - Oct 14 by HarryHorse

Goodness there are a few old stagers on this thread and its all the better for it . I disagree with Windy, to get back to Wembley and then find ourselves top of the division (when nearly everyone including myself) was expecting a massive play off hangover was astonishing and said much for his powers of motivation . Even more astonishing was the speed of our demise . We were , in my opinion a couple of players short of going up again and my suspicion is Ollie asked for them (Campbell was one) and Karl said no . Whatever the circumstances of his departure soon after it was hardly a surprise if the circumstances are as I surmise .

I second that Harry
Sorry Ollie on 21:09 - Oct 14 with 2164 viewshertfordseasider

Sorry Ollie on 20:53 - Oct 14 by HarryHorse

I missed the original post as I was in Spain, but I remember the letter and disagreed at the time, but boy has Wilf seen the light since and fair play to him for saying so, but then that is what I would expect of someone with the morals he has.

I agree Harry, I was in Spain again, speaking to someone there who had just been to the Leeds game and he had said that the team were playing even better and the football sublime. IH went to ask for 2 players to push on and the rest is history. He was treated appallingly and how he did what he did will always amaze me and I will always be grateful for his time as our manager. By rights, he should still be here, the best manager by a country mile I have ever witnessed as a Pool supporter and we are unlikely to ever see the like again (Unless VB and Pilley take over and put him back in charge of course!!!) In fact he was hamstrung throughout his reign makes it even more incredible.

The thing is KO could have been a hero, he really could, I will never understand how he managed to miss this opportunity so spectacularly.
Sorry Ollie on 21:52 - Oct 14 with 2149 viewsPlumbs

Sorry Ollie on 21:09 - Oct 14 by hertfordseasider

I missed the original post as I was in Spain, but I remember the letter and disagreed at the time, but boy has Wilf seen the light since and fair play to him for saying so, but then that is what I would expect of someone with the morals he has.

I agree Harry, I was in Spain again, speaking to someone there who had just been to the Leeds game and he had said that the team were playing even better and the football sublime. IH went to ask for 2 players to push on and the rest is history. He was treated appallingly and how he did what he did will always amaze me and I will always be grateful for his time as our manager. By rights, he should still be here, the best manager by a country mile I have ever witnessed as a Pool supporter and we are unlikely to ever see the like again (Unless VB and Pilley take over and put him back in charge of course!!!) In fact he was hamstrung throughout his reign makes it even more incredible.

The thing is KO could have been a hero, he really could, I will never understand how he managed to miss this opportunity so spectacularly.

It would be interesting to hear the thoughts of those who mocked his appointment with the words 'posturing media whore'.

Well done Wilf on admitting you were wrong which is obviously a bridge too far for some.

Real fans go to pubs like the HITW or the Welly

Sorry Ollie on 11:16 - Oct 15 with 2090 viewsstraightatthewall

Sorry Ollie on 21:52 - Oct 14 by Plumbs

It would be interesting to hear the thoughts of those who mocked his appointment with the words 'posturing media whore'.

Well done Wilf on admitting you were wrong which is obviously a bridge too far for some.

The amusing/bizarre thing is, there are still plenty who feel that Riga is as much of an issue now as the one constant thats always been around the club.

I too defended Ollie when he went. Pointing out that focusing on the way he left and all this stuff about missing training sessions etc...was a red herring compared to the real issues that were starting to pull the club back down to where it came.

It's an astonishingly simple story.

Oyston's on their own = close to 20 years of the club going absolutely nowhere.
VB is brought on board = club climbs the leagues
VB's influence declines = club starts to downgrade to the point where it will eventually return to where he came in

How anyone can seriously think different is beyond me as all the facts back it up.

We got Bogdanovic, Oyston got very rich

Sorry Ollie on 12:21 - Oct 15 with 2068 viewscrewcut

"The thing is KO could have been a hero, he really could, I will never understand how he managed to miss this opportunity so spectacularly."

KO's well known dislike of all things football played a role. Agents in particular and in that he had some support,, overpaid players and the fans, even of his own club. The idea of spending the Premier league money to extend a lucrative time in the top league never seems to have entered his mind. He runs the club on day to day receipts it seems with money for the club mainly funded by gate receipts. They have dwindled and so has any real investment in BFC.

I must say though in a business sense he missed the boat in terms of maximising the potential of what he had in Ian Holloway and a team who should never have been relegated and a team that should have come back at the first attempt. All it needed was for KO to swallow his business model for a couple of players at varying crucial moments and Bingo, Another rich vein of gold would have appeared.

Maybe he and his family are happy with one massive lottery win in a lifetime, but I think there is more to it than that.
Sorry Ollie on 22:55 - Oct 16 with 1891 viewssteve_g

Sorry Ollie on 12:21 - Oct 15 by crewcut

"The thing is KO could have been a hero, he really could, I will never understand how he managed to miss this opportunity so spectacularly."

KO's well known dislike of all things football played a role. Agents in particular and in that he had some support,, overpaid players and the fans, even of his own club. The idea of spending the Premier league money to extend a lucrative time in the top league never seems to have entered his mind. He runs the club on day to day receipts it seems with money for the club mainly funded by gate receipts. They have dwindled and so has any real investment in BFC.

I must say though in a business sense he missed the boat in terms of maximising the potential of what he had in Ian Holloway and a team who should never have been relegated and a team that should have come back at the first attempt. All it needed was for KO to swallow his business model for a couple of players at varying crucial moments and Bingo, Another rich vein of gold would have appeared.

Maybe he and his family are happy with one massive lottery win in a lifetime, but I think there is more to it than that.

Ollie always wore his heart on his sleeve and if you think how badly he took relegation from the Prem I think he took the Wembley defeat 10 times worse and couldn't find his mojo the following season. Whilst everyone talks about how relegation from the Prem was a turning point, I don't think we really have recovered from the defeat to West Ham.

Poll: Has the O's treatment of fans re: court proceedings changed your opinion of them

Sorry Ollie on 23:02 - Oct 16 with 1888 viewsHarryHorse

Sorry Ollie on 22:55 - Oct 16 by steve_g

Ollie always wore his heart on his sleeve and if you think how badly he took relegation from the Prem I think he took the Wembley defeat 10 times worse and couldn't find his mojo the following season. Whilst everyone talks about how relegation from the Prem was a turning point, I don't think we really have recovered from the defeat to West Ham.

Steve , the turning point wasn't West Ham . I'd agree if we had started the following season badly (see my previous post) but we didn't , we got off to a flyer against all expectations .
Sorry Ollie on 08:55 - Oct 17 with 1874 viewsKOSBowlCut

Sorry Ollie on 23:02 - Oct 16 by HarryHorse

Steve , the turning point wasn't West Ham . I'd agree if we had started the following season badly (see my previous post) but we didn't , we got off to a flyer against all expectations .

I always thought we struggled that following season? Weren't we somewhere around mid-table when Ollie left?

Poll: Would you play Nile Ranger from the start against Reading?

Sorry Ollie on 19:21 - Nov 9 with 1807 viewsBertandErnie

Can I apologise to Ince as well and say as one of those who wanted rid of him that I feel I was wrong as well!
Sorry Ollie on 09:12 - Nov 10 with 1700 viewsPoolman

Curryman - can't help feeling Ollie was of a time and we'd grown apart - mainly because KO didn't back him - had he have done then I genuinely think we'd now be a Hull or Swansea..

Poll: What did you do with Fonz?

Sorry Ollie on 12:38 - Nov 10 with 1669 viewsCurryman

Sorry Ollie on 09:12 - Nov 10 by Poolman

Curryman - can't help feeling Ollie was of a time and we'd grown apart - mainly because KO didn't back him - had he have done then I genuinely think we'd now be a Hull or Swansea..

just to update the thread, I did write to Ollie. I didn't expect to receive a reply and I didn't get one, but at least my conscience is now clear.

Love Blackpool, not the O's
Poll: Whi is responsiblke for our current mess?
Blog: Trust

Sorry Ollie on 13:23 - Nov 10 with 1648 viewsWizaard

Sorry Ollie on 12:38 - Nov 10 by Curryman

just to update the thread, I did write to Ollie. I didn't expect to receive a reply and I didn't get one, but at least my conscience is now clear.

Conscience and morals aren't something that are common in football.

Ollie was the best manager I've seen, bar none. My only issue with him was the timing and manner of his departure. I've got over it and can savour his time with us.

He himself said that his methods meant we needed to completely start again as his motivational powers would wane as the same players heard the same thing over and over again. Karl was never going to pay out for the equivalent standard of player when they were already there.

Who knows the full story? Apparently, he still speaks to Karl on football matters on a regular basis, so the relationship can't have been that bad.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024