Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Come on you Royals 11:09 - Oct 13 with 1620 viewsHannibal_de_Seaside

Many moons ago when I worked in the US of A I was initially based about 20 miles from Kansas City and used to watch the baseball at the Kauffman stadium. The Royals were no great shakes then and never had been, but I was used to watching lower league football and understood what their fans were perpetually going through. I even wrote a piece about it on the old AVFTT.

I've followed them ever since and lo and behold if they didn't make the American League play-offs this season, the first time since the 1980s. Not unlike our fairy tale 2010/11. And now they've won the first 2 games of the AL play-offs. Ironically this is against the Orioles, as Baltimore was the second place I worked. That was in the days of 'iron-man' Cal Ripken who played 2,632 consecutive games - a record that will surely never be broken (although they said that of Lou Gehrig's previous record of 2,130).

Anyway, back to business in Baltimore tonight for the Royals and in a couple of days they might have booked their place in the World Series (n.b. so named because the first sponsor was the New York World newspaper, not because it purports to be any kind of world championship - although let's face it in effect it is). In the absence of football for a fortnight this has been a very pleasant distraction.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2014 11:10]
Come on you Royals on 11:39 - Oct 13 with 1604 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

I was in the USA in October 2012 on a family celebration and it coincided with the two league play-offs and the first couple of games of the World Series itself.

I wouldn't pretend that I understood more than a fraction of what I was watching, but it's an oddly addictive game, especially when you have knowledgeable and enthusiastic commentators who help you to get at least some of what you're watching (note to UK broadcasters, it can be done). I'll watch out for how they are doing, HdS.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

Come on you Royals on 12:26 - Oct 13 with 1583 viewsbloomfieldoracle

Come on you Royals on 11:39 - Oct 13 by basilrobbiereborn

I was in the USA in October 2012 on a family celebration and it coincided with the two league play-offs and the first couple of games of the World Series itself.

I wouldn't pretend that I understood more than a fraction of what I was watching, but it's an oddly addictive game, especially when you have knowledgeable and enthusiastic commentators who help you to get at least some of what you're watching (note to UK broadcasters, it can be done). I'll watch out for how they are doing, HdS.

Yes, it's great to see the Royals doing well. Luckily I have ESPN and so can watch the action in the MLB. But still miss the great MLB show on Channel 5.

Wish we had the regulations that they have in US sport regarding competitive balance - salary caps, the draft, revenue sharing etc. It does seem to work.
Come on you Royals on 14:17 - Oct 13 with 1531 viewsHannibal_de_Seaside

You only get that kind of reasonably level playing field in US sports with the franchise system. Although that's not something I'd like to see over here, with RL Super League, MKD in football and now Coventry Wasps I'm not sure we don't have it.
Come on you Royals on 10:09 - Oct 15 with 1472 viewsHannibal_de_Seaside

3-0 now in the 7 game series, aided by two incredible catches by Mike Moustakas.

Royals will be in the final before the international break ends. We Will Not Go Back To Baltimore!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024