Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
OT EU 1.7 billion demand... 11:48 - Oct 24 with 1699 viewsLala

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2805663/Brussels-asks-UK-cash-economy-s-

Here we go again - any views ? Should we be handing over an extra 1.7b to the EU because we are recovering so well ?
Isn't part of our recovery down the the austerity policies applied ?
Have other EU countries been as austere ?
If not, should we hand over our hard earned gains this way ????

[Post edited 24 Oct 2014 11:49]

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 12:29 - Oct 24 with 1682 viewswe_are_Superior

The way this is going Nigel Farage will get in to Number 10 which is a shocking prospect. One of the parties has to get to grips with this or the worst case scenario of that buck toothes idiot running the country could become a shocking reality!

Poll: Would Richie Kyle make a good manager?

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 12:51 - Oct 24 with 1678 viewsLala

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 12:29 - Oct 24 by we_are_Superior

The way this is going Nigel Farage will get in to Number 10 which is a shocking prospect. One of the parties has to get to grips with this or the worst case scenario of that buck toothes idiot running the country could become a shocking reality!

I totally agree. I think if Cameron agrees to this 1.7b then the keys to No.10 are UKIP's.

Will be interesting to see if Cameron does adopt a more robost approach to negotiating with the EU regarding our financial contributions.

Mike Reid lost UKIP a few votes though, of that I'm certain.

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 13:06 - Oct 24 with 1673 viewssmojo

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 12:51 - Oct 24 by Lala

I totally agree. I think if Cameron agrees to this 1.7b then the keys to No.10 are UKIP's.

Will be interesting to see if Cameron does adopt a more robost approach to negotiating with the EU regarding our financial contributions.

Mike Reid lost UKIP a few votes though, of that I'm certain.

What's Frank Butcher got to do with it?

Poll: Should BSA fold to allow for a unified BST?

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 13:25 - Oct 24 with 1667 viewsLala

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 13:06 - Oct 24 by smojo

What's Frank Butcher got to do with it?

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 14:19 - Oct 24 with 1656 viewsscratchingshed

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 13:25 - Oct 24 by Lala

Yet more wonders of being in the EU.

The sooner UKIP get in the better.
OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 14:24 - Oct 24 with 1651 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 13:25 - Oct 24 by Lala

This doesn't sit well with me either, and I consider myself pro-European. There's a federalist whiff about policies like this that do the EU no favours.

As for UKIP, I'll make two predictions :

a) the Establishment (widely defined) will go after UKIP with steadily increasing intensity over the next six months. Not so much Farage, but the rag tag mob of nut cases standing for Parliament under his banner

b) as a result, I think their ability to win seats will be severely constrained. I had thought no more than two or three until recently, even now I don't think it will be more than about ten

As things stand, my money is on a rainbow coalition involving one of the two main parties and two or three of the parties from the non-English part of the Union. But I've absolutely no confidence I'm going to be right.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 14:49 - Oct 24 with 1641 viewsPlumbs

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 14:24 - Oct 24 by basilrobbiereborn

This doesn't sit well with me either, and I consider myself pro-European. There's a federalist whiff about policies like this that do the EU no favours.

As for UKIP, I'll make two predictions :

a) the Establishment (widely defined) will go after UKIP with steadily increasing intensity over the next six months. Not so much Farage, but the rag tag mob of nut cases standing for Parliament under his banner

b) as a result, I think their ability to win seats will be severely constrained. I had thought no more than two or three until recently, even now I don't think it will be more than about ten

As things stand, my money is on a rainbow coalition involving one of the two main parties and two or three of the parties from the non-English part of the Union. But I've absolutely no confidence I'm going to be right.

SSP favours the rainbow coalition too. Any excuse to get his 'purple' onesie on.

Real fans go to pubs like the HITW or the Welly

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 15:24 - Oct 24 with 1626 viewsVoiceofReason

What is a rainbow coalition? Not heard that one before.
Login to get fewer ads

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 15:31 - Oct 24 with 1620 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 15:24 - Oct 24 by VoiceofReason

What is a rainbow coalition? Not heard that one before.

It's a coalition of parties from right across the political spectrum. I'm not sure a coalition of (say) Tories plus two/three Nationalist parties fits the strict definition, but it's probably close enough.

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 17:04 - Oct 24 with 1601 viewsWizaard

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 14:49 - Oct 24 by Plumbs

SSP favours the rainbow coalition too. Any excuse to get his 'purple' onesie on.

To be honest, 1.7 billion is chicken feed in the scheme of things. We've blown more than that on IT systems that son't work in the NHS.

If the Mail is against it, I'm OK with it
OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 19:59 - Oct 24 with 1587 viewsWindyMiller

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 17:04 - Oct 24 by Wizaard

To be honest, 1.7 billion is chicken feed in the scheme of things. We've blown more than that on IT systems that son't work in the NHS.

If the Mail is against it, I'm OK with it

Sadly there's enough Jeremy Kyle watching, Sun reading, disillusioned people in this country which would guarantee UKIP a large vote. They haven't the faintest idea what they stand for, just that Jonny Foreigner will be dealt with!

Poll: Should Karl Oyston resign or be sacked?

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 00:37 - Oct 25 with 1569 viewsbfc1974

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 19:59 - Oct 24 by WindyMiller

Sadly there's enough Jeremy Kyle watching, Sun reading, disillusioned people in this country which would guarantee UKIP a large vote. They haven't the faintest idea what they stand for, just that Jonny Foreigner will be dealt with!

to be honest I would rather have UKIP in power than the moderate nothing parties of Labour, tories and Lib Dems. They are too alike in their policies. We have been promised so much by these 3 parties and sold down the river way too often lets see someone else give it a go.

Illegitimi non Carborundum
Poll: Season tickets: Which did you buy? [if at all]

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 11:19 - Oct 25 with 1544 viewsDon_K_Lasher

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 00:37 - Oct 25 by bfc1974

to be honest I would rather have UKIP in power than the moderate nothing parties of Labour, tories and Lib Dems. They are too alike in their policies. We have been promised so much by these 3 parties and sold down the river way too often lets see someone else give it a go.

By refusing to pay Dave has managed to get the BBC and the rest of the media publicise the fact the the UK's economy is doing better then predicted.

Preston a City you're having a laugh! Preston a City you're having a laugh!

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 13:42 - Oct 25 with 1538 viewsBFC_Tim

I was just driving home after dropping my son off at college when I heard this on the news. As I looked around, I saw all the other people milling in to work and noticed that almost half the cars are of either made or owned by Germany. And then I heard an advert for EDF energy, who are French. And I thought, we have almost no car industry we call our own and most of our energy companies are under foreign ownership. Don't we pay enough out to our European neighbours as it is? And now this, a fine for having the nous to sort the country out. Makes me wonder if the French and Germans can't be bothered to do it because they know they'll get bailed out. Sod 'em. They've run their countries into the ground, let them sort themselves out!

Poll: Who reckons we'll beat Watford?

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 14:03 - Oct 25 with 1537 viewsWizaard

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 13:42 - Oct 25 by BFC_Tim

I was just driving home after dropping my son off at college when I heard this on the news. As I looked around, I saw all the other people milling in to work and noticed that almost half the cars are of either made or owned by Germany. And then I heard an advert for EDF energy, who are French. And I thought, we have almost no car industry we call our own and most of our energy companies are under foreign ownership. Don't we pay enough out to our European neighbours as it is? And now this, a fine for having the nous to sort the country out. Makes me wonder if the French and Germans can't be bothered to do it because they know they'll get bailed out. Sod 'em. They've run their countries into the ground, let them sort themselves out!

Yes, the German economy is a real disaster...
OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 12:31 - Oct 26 with 1514 viewsTwoPhillips

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 14:03 - Oct 25 by Wizaard

Yes, the German economy is a real disaster...

UKIP now up to 16% - Nigel Farage doesn't need an election budget - he can just rely on everyone else to push voters his way!

Poll: That final Premier League Relegation Place

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 18:00 - Oct 26 with 1502 viewsTejas

UKIP would need a huge budget to contest all 650 seats in a general election. At £500 a pop, with a 5% return on the votes required to get the deposit back it is virtually unaffordable for small parties to field and campaign enough seats to take on the big two. One of which has a traditional funding line going back centuries and the other nursed by union subscriptions. The fact that they just announced that they will "seriously" contest 100 seats next May is down to "gift" funding from Sykes. They have no chance of getting into number 10, but could hold the balance of power in the tradition of the Lib Dems. As for the EU funding - make no mistake, it will be paid. We are tied into legal agreements that are not negotiable, and as the other EU Nations will start to point out very soon, we've taken reduced payments in the past. The Conservatives are not furious about the payment itself - it's the timing they're disturbed about. With the by-election next month in Rochester, this is a real knife in their chest with some senior Tories already preparing for a leadership challenge. Labour look dead in the water with Milliband at the helm. They should cruise to victory next May but his weak leadership will make it very close and their only hope is a very quick change of leadership - which they don't appear to be up to. Who says politics is boring!
OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 19:09 - Oct 26 with 1489 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 18:00 - Oct 26 by Tejas

UKIP would need a huge budget to contest all 650 seats in a general election. At £500 a pop, with a 5% return on the votes required to get the deposit back it is virtually unaffordable for small parties to field and campaign enough seats to take on the big two. One of which has a traditional funding line going back centuries and the other nursed by union subscriptions. The fact that they just announced that they will "seriously" contest 100 seats next May is down to "gift" funding from Sykes. They have no chance of getting into number 10, but could hold the balance of power in the tradition of the Lib Dems. As for the EU funding - make no mistake, it will be paid. We are tied into legal agreements that are not negotiable, and as the other EU Nations will start to point out very soon, we've taken reduced payments in the past. The Conservatives are not furious about the payment itself - it's the timing they're disturbed about. With the by-election next month in Rochester, this is a real knife in their chest with some senior Tories already preparing for a leadership challenge. Labour look dead in the water with Milliband at the helm. They should cruise to victory next May but his weak leadership will make it very close and their only hope is a very quick change of leadership - which they don't appear to be up to. Who says politics is boring!

This funding issue is a difficult one for UKIP ; haven't they just lost one of their income streams from the EU because the group they are allied to in the European Parliament lost one of its members?

It's possible they will win enough seats to hold the balance of power, but I think it is more likely as things stand now that the Labour vote will collapse in Scotland and the SNP may be the power brokers. It's all to play for all round.

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 19:19 - Oct 26 with 1483 viewsfleetwoodbry

Did'nt Cameron sign up to this deal anyway?? No complaints from him when it was US getting the rebates from the EU when we were on our arse, so its a bit rich tbh for him to be bleating now!! As for UKIP, be very careful what you wish for, they're a bunch of right wing nutters who could'nt run a corner shop
OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 19:23 - Oct 26 with 1482 viewsTejas

Yes, they lost it when a Latvian (how topical!) resigned, but they pulled it back when they re-aligned with some Polish MEP. This has caused more accusations of far right involvement, as the Polish group have far right leanings - but they (UKIP) rescued about £1m a year in funding. Even with this and Sykes £1.5m (along with a push for public contributions at between £5-£20) - it's a drop in the ocean. I read somewhere that it costs about £1m to seriously campaign for 20 seats - on that basis, they will be confined to Lib Dem type tactics, for now anyway!!
OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 19:29 - Oct 26 with 1476 viewsTejas

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 19:19 - Oct 26 by fleetwoodbry

Did'nt Cameron sign up to this deal anyway?? No complaints from him when it was US getting the rebates from the EU when we were on our arse, so its a bit rich tbh for him to be bleating now!! As for UKIP, be very careful what you wish for, they're a bunch of right wing nutters who could'nt run a corner shop

Fleetwoodbry - I don't agree about UKIP being right wing nutters. They do tend to align with the right in the press but have a very mixed bag of policies (yes they do have them - but you have to look hard), some of which verge on Liberal and neo-Liberal (free Markets etc.). I would recommend you read "Revolt on the Right" by Ford and Goodwin. It's not a pro-UKIP book but explains the very distinct difference between UKIP and real far right parties such as the BNP. I would call them "Populist" more than anything else. I agree with you about the funding - we will have to pay it for all the reasons you mention.
OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 19:29 - Oct 26 with 1475 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

OT EU 1.7 billion demand... on 19:23 - Oct 26 by Tejas

Yes, they lost it when a Latvian (how topical!) resigned, but they pulled it back when they re-aligned with some Polish MEP. This has caused more accusations of far right involvement, as the Polish group have far right leanings - but they (UKIP) rescued about £1m a year in funding. Even with this and Sykes £1.5m (along with a push for public contributions at between £5-£20) - it's a drop in the ocean. I read somewhere that it costs about £1m to seriously campaign for 20 seats - on that basis, they will be confined to Lib Dem type tactics, for now anyway!!

Tejas

thanks for that, I heard about the Latvian on Radio 4 (get me!), but hadn't caught up with the Polish Development**. That might solve the immediate funding political shortfall, but as you say has unfortunate political connotations.

** sounds like big household cleaning news

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024