Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
so if it is to be a British manager….. 18:27 - Oct 28 with 767 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

could we make a case for O'Driscoll?

He came close to being the choice after Holloway left according to some accounts. Subsequently struggled at Bristol City (but many others have too, and the writing was on the wall when he went there) and has the virtues of being :

* very experienced
* very well connected and respected within the game
* possessed of a reputation for trying to play good football

His win ratio has been in the mid-30s in almost every job he's done, and he's currently having a good spell running the England U-19s. As for age, I do believe he's the same age as Brian Flynn, give or take.

What do people think? I've been a fan of his for ages, but would be fancy the challenge?

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

so if it is to be a British manager….. on 18:28 - Oct 28 with 759 viewsTejas

Yes, I'm also a fan of SOd. I really wanted him last time round - would he come though?
so if it is to be a British manager….. on 18:30 - Oct 28 with 753 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

so if it is to be a British manager….. on 18:28 - Oct 28 by Tejas

Yes, I'm also a fan of SOd. I really wanted him last time round - would he come though?

Tejas

I heard that we got gazumped by Brizzle last time around, and that up to the very last minute he was quite keen. How much truth there is in that I'm not sure.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2014 18:36]

so if it is to be a British manager….. on 18:33 - Oct 28 with 746 viewsTejas

so if it is to be a British manager….. on 18:30 - Oct 28 by basilrobbiereborn

Tejas

I heard that we got gazumped by Brizzle last time around, and that up to the very last minute he was quite keen. How much truth there is in that I'm not sure.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2014 18:36]

Yep - heard that too. I believe it was a geographical thing at the time. Like you say though, a lot of myth surrounds these stories.
so if it is to be a British manager….. on 23:00 - Oct 28 with 649 viewsArchibaldKnox

so if it is to be a British manager….. on 18:33 - Oct 28 by Tejas

Yep - heard that too. I believe it was a geographical thing at the time. Like you say though, a lot of myth surrounds these stories.

But is he a yes-man?
so if it is to be a British manager….. on 23:01 - Oct 28 with 649 viewsArchibaldKnox

so if it is to be a British manager….. on 18:33 - Oct 28 by Tejas

Sure, SO'D has been well thought of, and offered the post in the past but he turned it down for Bristol City, where he failed in very short order. Probably hamstrung by not being backed, ha-ha-ha. About the best that could be said is that he is "possessed of a reputation for trying to play good football"

But then to quote a win percentage as being in thirties, well what is special about that? It's average. I do think the OP seems to take a contrarian attitude, just for the sake of it.

I say contrarian because we are currently being presented with Lee Clark whose record at Huddersfield was: P178 W87 D51 L40. That is a Win Ratio of 48.9%
Admittedly in a lower division. But significantly superior. It's just that his football is apparently gash. But then fans never seem to let that get in the way if after 90 mins another win is chalked up. Remember our best start to a season, under Ince? Gash and lucky, but few complaints.

[Post edited 29 Oct 2014 9:48]
so if it is to be a British manager….. on 23:05 - Oct 28 with 644 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

so if it is to be a British manager….. on 23:01 - Oct 28 by ArchibaldKnox

Sure, SO'D has been well thought of, and offered the post in the past but he turned it down for Bristol City, where he failed in very short order. Probably hamstrung by not being backed, ha-ha-ha. About the best that could be said is that he is "possessed of a reputation for trying to play good football"

But then to quote a win percentage as being in thirties, well what is special about that? It's average. I do think the OP seems to take a contrarian attitude, just for the sake of it.

I say contrarian because we are currently being presented with Lee Clark whose record at Huddersfield was: P178 W87 D51 L40. That is a Win Ratio of 48.9%
Admittedly in a lower division. But significantly superior. It's just that his football is apparently gash. But then fans never seem to let that get in the way if after 90 mins another win is chalked up. Remember our best start to a season, under Ince? Gash and lucky, but few complaints.

[Post edited 29 Oct 2014 9:48]

More to the point, does he repeat himself?

so if it is to be a British manager….. on 23:39 - Oct 28 with 624 viewsFY4MIKEH

so if it is to be a British manager….. on 23:05 - Oct 28 by basilrobbiereborn

More to the point, does he repeat himself?

Sean O'Driscoll could lead us back up the leagues. Riga couldn't. He brought foreign players in. And they were awful.
The spine never worked.
A British manager in the Championship, with British players.
so if it is to be a British manager….. on 23:48 - Oct 28 with 618 viewsHarryHorse

so if it is to be a British manager….. on 23:39 - Oct 28 by FY4MIKEH

Sean O'Driscoll could lead us back up the leagues. Riga couldn't. He brought foreign players in. And they were awful.
The spine never worked.

He never got the spine as far as I can see
Login to get fewer ads

so if it is to be a British manager….. on 04:23 - Oct 29 with 598 viewsseasider13

We need Raging Bull to be the next manager, at least he would try to knock some sense into Karl,

No man is rich enough to buy back his past.

so if it is to be a British manager….. on 07:59 - Oct 29 with 570 viewsThames

so if it is to be a British manager….. on 04:23 - Oct 29 by seasider13

We need Raging Bull to be the next manager, at least he would try to knock some sense into Karl,

We've been here before, so many times recently.

The sad fact is, it really doesn't matter who the manager is. Nothing will change.

The budget airways model just cannot work in football.

Providing 11 players at the cheapest possible cost may fulfil fixtures but in will never fulfil the hopes and dreams of Blackpool FC supporters
so if it is to be a British manager….. on 14:09 - Oct 29 with 508 viewsThe_Ghost

Going off topic for a moment, I think the old board need to elect a new Icon. They can't seem to let go of the old one
so if it is to be a British manager….. on 17:08 - Oct 29 with 469 viewschesterbfc

so if it is to be a British manager….. on 23:39 - Oct 28 by FY4MIKEH

The spine never worked.

sums up perfectly
so if it is to be a British manager….. on 17:12 - Oct 29 with 461 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

so if it is to be a British manager….. on 14:09 - Oct 29 by The_Ghost

Going off topic for a moment, I think the old board need to elect a new Icon. They can't seem to let go of the old one

*preens*

so if it is to be a British manager….. on 17:16 - Oct 29 with 451 viewsVoiceofReason

The icon? You've got some front giving yourself a name like that.
so if it is to be a British manager….. on 17:16 - Oct 29 with 451 viewsCurryman

so if it is to be a British manager….. on 17:12 - Oct 29 by basilrobbiereborn

*preens*

You told me in Reading you had never been referred to as a woman, well now you're acting like a big girl's blouse.

Love Blackpool, not the O's
Poll: Whi is responsiblke for our current mess?
Blog: Trust

so if it is to be a British manager….. on 17:18 - Oct 29 with 443 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

so if it is to be a British manager….. on 17:16 - Oct 29 by Curryman

You told me in Reading you had never been referred to as a woman, well now you're acting like a big girl's blouse.

Shush you.

VoR, not guilty on that charge, honestly. It was Rio Ferdinand, actually.

so if it is to be a British manager….. on 17:19 - Oct 29 with 440 viewsVoiceofReason

so if it is to be a British manager….. on 17:18 - Oct 29 by basilrobbiereborn

Shush you.

VoR, not guilty on that charge, honestly. It was Rio Ferdinand, actually.

Rio Ferdinand? How come?
so if it is to be a British manager….. on 17:20 - Oct 29 with 437 viewsSouthshorepool

so if it is to be a British manager….. on 17:16 - Oct 29 by Curryman

Psst. VoR. He didn't give 'himself' that title although he doesn't complain about it.

Mainstream music is sh!t!

so if it is to be a British manager….. on 17:22 - Oct 29 with 431 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

so if it is to be a British manager….. on 17:19 - Oct 29 by VoiceofReason

Rio Ferdinand? How come?

A long time ago, on the other site, we were picking apart yet another dismal England performance, and I said something along the lines of, "if RF is world class, I'm Judy Garland".

This caused a fair bit of merriment, and some one said that they had me down as a lot of things, but never a gay icon. The icon bit stuck. All Rio's fault.

so if it is to be a British manager….. on 17:47 - Oct 29 with 409 viewsVoiceofReason

so if it is to be a British manager….. on 17:22 - Oct 29 by basilrobbiereborn

A long time ago, on the other site, we were picking apart yet another dismal England performance, and I said something along the lines of, "if RF is world class, I'm Judy Garland".

This caused a fair bit of merriment, and some one said that they had me down as a lot of things, but never a gay icon. The icon bit stuck. All Rio's fault.

Could of been a lot worse Robbie.
so if it is to be a British manager….. on 17:49 - Oct 29 with 404 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

so if it is to be a British manager….. on 17:47 - Oct 29 by VoiceofReason

Could of been a lot worse Robbie.

Yep, could have been called Supporter of the Year. Eh Wilf?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024