Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark 12:17 - Oct 30 with 1813 viewsBFCSupportersTrust

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark:

Lee Clark has been named as Blackpool’s fourth manager of 2014. Good luck to him, he will certainly need it.

Given the huge support that the fans showed for what Jose Riga was trying to do, coupled with the almost universal criticism of Karl Oyston for not backing Riga effectively and making him the scapegoat for Blackpool’s worst ever start to a season, many supporters will have mixed emotions about the new appointment.

So let’s be clear about two things: 1) it wasn’t Riga’s fault that we are bottom of the league and 2) there should be no animosity towards Lee Clark. He’s got a hard enough job on his hands as it is.

Karl Oyston said he made the change to give Blackpool the best possible chance of surviving in the Championship. It is clear to most of us that the team will only get results if the new manager is allowed to do what Riga was prevented from doing — bringing in his preferred targets. Finally having a large enough squad is not the same as having a good enough squad and we are probably lacking four or five quality players [at least a full-back, creative midfield general, wing forward and consistent goal-scorer].

Once again, Blackpool Supporters’ Trust calls upon the owners to back the manager effectively. If there was ever a time to invest some of the war-chest, this is it.

There has to be a radical change of approach at Bloomfield Road. The shocking lack of strategy and ambition on behalf of the owners is unacceptable, regardless of whether it stems from apparent incompetence or an alleged cynical ‘milking’ of the club. Financial fair play does work both ways. The current owners of the football club need to make a better job of running Blackpool FC. They need to change profoundly - or they need to move on.

It is clear that the current owners of the club, by word and deed, can no longer be trusted to uphold the reputation and dignity of Blackpool FC. In fact, they appear not to be in the least concerned about it. The only people who truly care about our club’s identity are the fans. We are now the sole custodians of the reputation of Blackpool FC. On Saturday we have another chance to show what it is to be a Blackpool fan, that we deserve far better from the owners, that we deserve a bigger say in what happens at our club and that we are the true guardians of its heritage and identity.

Blackpool Supporters’ Trust is committed to change the way that the football club is run, to make it more accountable to the fans and the community. We know where the responsibility lies for the current problems at our club, we know the changes that are required and we will not lose our focus on achieving the aims of those who love Blackpool Football Club.
BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 12:28 - Oct 30 with 1794 viewsthebigone

Some excellent statements coming from BST - well done whoever is writing them.

Poll: After the articles - Who do you blame?

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 12:28 - Oct 30 with 1792 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

I'm suffering from statement fatigue, to be honest, but that is actually pretty measured and expresses a number of key points very well. Paragraphs four, five and six are very clear and unambiguous.

It's paragraph 3 that worries me slightly, and in particular statement (1). Is it really true that Riga should take no blame for our current position? It's curious that our supporters - or at least some of them - seem willing to absolve Riga of all responsibility for where we are. But at the same time they are quite happy to condemn the new guy (doing exactly the same job) almost before he's set foot in the building. It strikes me as being irrational, illogical and completely unfair.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 12:41 - Oct 30 with 1764 viewsThe_Ghost

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 12:28 - Oct 30 by basilrobbiereborn

I'm suffering from statement fatigue, to be honest, but that is actually pretty measured and expresses a number of key points very well. Paragraphs four, five and six are very clear and unambiguous.

It's paragraph 3 that worries me slightly, and in particular statement (1). Is it really true that Riga should take no blame for our current position? It's curious that our supporters - or at least some of them - seem willing to absolve Riga of all responsibility for where we are. But at the same time they are quite happy to condemn the new guy (doing exactly the same job) almost before he's set foot in the building. It strikes me as being irrational, illogical and completely unfair.

Robbie, I think we will be able to judge Riga more after we see what Clark can do....

Undoubtably Riga had faults, but he was in a very difficult situation to begin with.
BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 12:44 - Oct 30 with 1761 viewsTejas

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 12:28 - Oct 30 by basilrobbiereborn

"Statement fatigue" I'm definatelly going to use that myself some time.
BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 13:01 - Oct 30 with 1740 viewsTwelveAngryMen

To be fair Robbie we have had three rather seismic events in the space of 5 days - all of which warranted comment
Hopefully the day will come when the need for such statements and the / or the frequency of them will recede
Until then ......
UTMP

#footballfirst

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 13:04 - Oct 30 with 1735 viewsCMG1958

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 12:44 - Oct 30 by Tejas

Just read the statement on Twitter. Do I notice a change of tone by BST? Previously the stance has been (rightly) to, "Put Football First" but specifically not anti-Oyston. These words imply a change:

"They need to change profoundly - or they need to move on"

I commend BST for its work, its organisation and its objectives; but if its stance is now to openly seek a change of ownership then I think it is a ship that is steering a rocky course. Perhaps some within BST are buoyed by the Mail's article.

Just a plastic glory hunter.

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 13:17 - Oct 30 with 1720 viewsTwelveAngryMen

I wasn't the author of this piece or indeed the others that preceded it so I can't comment on the observation other than to say there is no specific policy change at BST - we simply seek to hold whoever is in charge to account
I do however detect that a majority of fair minded fans have simply had a gut full - I know I have
Personally I think its the sacking of Riga as distinct from VB's interview that's the catalyst for this

#footballfirst

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 13:23 - Oct 30 with 1707 viewsfamousgrouse

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 12:44 - Oct 30 by Tejas

We shall probably never know what happened to cause the breakdown of the relationship between Chairman and Manager, but have been fed various snippets over the past few months which have indicated that neither are completely blameless for the stand-off and the position we are now in.
The position has affected the fans more than any other over the past few years and we have come to a situation where some supporters have been abused by other supporters. This is an unhealthy situation at any time, but more so when we need to put all our efforts into survival. I am not of the school who think we would be better off if we were relegated. I believe that the majority of supporters would prefer to see us as high in the football leagues as we could be so my energies will be directed to that cause.

That does not mean I am in favour of the way in which the current owners have conducted their administration of the Club, but if we have a second chance with a new manager we should reserve our judgement until later.

BST have given fans a new vehicle to vent their anger and TAM comes over as a decent spokesman, however they do not represent the majority of fans (I am a member by the way) and they have no dialogue, as yet, with the owners. Mr Belokon is being touted as the knight in shining armour that we have all been waiting for . Perhaps in time his intentions will become much more definite and achievable, but in the meantime we have to play the hand we have been dealt.

Let's unite the support and get behind the new manager and his team.
Login to get fewer ads

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 13:35 - Oct 30 with 1685 viewsArchibaldKnox

Excellent statement. Fills the vacuum that is BSA at the moment.
BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 13:55 - Oct 30 with 1662 viewsCMG1958

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 13:35 - Oct 30 by ArchibaldKnox

Excellent statement. Fills the vacuum that is BSA at the moment.

FamousGrouse - are you me in disguise?!!! Well said.

Just a plastic glory hunter.

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 14:04 - Oct 30 with 1656 viewsSouthStandSeasider

Archibald,

I'm not entirely sure what your definition of a 'vacuum' is but since the Riga story broke on Monday night I've heard either Glenn or Fiona speak at some point on Radio Wave, Rock FM, Radio Lancashire, TalkSport, 5 Live and Sky Sports News. I'd say they're doing reasonably well getting their viewpoint across too.
BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 14:06 - Oct 30 with 1651 viewsSouthStandSeasider

Grouse I think you're bang on by the way, excellent post.
BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 16:09 - Oct 30 with 1600 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 14:06 - Oct 30 by SouthStandSeasider

Grouse I think you're bang on by the way, excellent post.

I agree that is a very good post by grouse, he sets the rational position out well.

I was interested that Tim played down the idea that there might be a subtle change in direction ; he reassured me a bit because I too thought the slight shift that APPEARED to be there was a risky one. I feel that getting Karl to engage with both BSA and BST is the start of a possible rapprochement ; I don't think it would be helpful to box him into a corner any more than he already is - he does siege mentality very well. Better by far to coax him out, but I quite understand it's a lot harder to do it than say it.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 16:57 - Oct 30 with 1576 viewsstraightatthewall

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 16:09 - Oct 30 by basilrobbiereborn

I agree that is a very good post by grouse, he sets the rational position out well.

I was interested that Tim played down the idea that there might be a subtle change in direction ; he reassured me a bit because I too thought the slight shift that APPEARED to be there was a risky one. I feel that getting Karl to engage with both BSA and BST is the start of a possible rapprochement ; I don't think it would be helpful to box him into a corner any more than he already is - he does siege mentality very well. Better by far to coax him out, but I quite understand it's a lot harder to do it than say it.

I think I can safely say that were the BST to go into 'dialogue' with Karl before we'd seen considerable physical evidence of the Oyston's changing their approach, then BST membership numbers would drop significantly.

And for the record, I don't think they've ever entertained the idea.

We got Bogdanovic, Oyston got very rich

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 18:05 - Oct 30 with 1547 viewsFountain

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 16:57 - Oct 30 by straightatthewall

I think I can safely say that were the BST to go into 'dialogue' with Karl before we'd seen considerable physical evidence of the Oyston's changing their approach, then BST membership numbers would drop significantly.

And for the record, I don't think they've ever entertained the idea.

My own view is that it's pointless even looking for dialogue with KO because he seeks to manipulate and if that fails, isolate.

I've thought this before, and PLEASE don't get my thinking wrong, but have BST formed too early and would their splendid efforts be more 'striking' as the protest group that many perceived it to be?

Out of interest what were the membership numbers of SISA and how many does BST have? i know one was just a click away, the other a commitment but nevertheless I'm interested.

slap me on the patio

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 19:46 - Oct 30 with 1497 viewsribble

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 18:05 - Oct 30 by Fountain

My own view is that it's pointless even looking for dialogue with KO because he seeks to manipulate and if that fails, isolate.

I've thought this before, and PLEASE don't get my thinking wrong, but have BST formed too early and would their splendid efforts be more 'striking' as the protest group that many perceived it to be?

Out of interest what were the membership numbers of SISA and how many does BST have? i know one was just a click away, the other a commitment but nevertheless I'm interested.

There was a BST newsletter which came out the other day quoting (I think) around 1,300 members. Sure TAM can confirm.

Personally, I believe BST is quite right in standing back from getting involved in protests. It's critical that to achieve its long term goals BST has to be seen as a credible voice. If it backed or organised a protest it couldn't properly control and there was an 'incident' then the media (which it has so well to court) would run a mile.

Better to be in the game than on the sidelines.
BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 20:10 - Oct 30 with 1479 viewsfamousgrouse

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 19:46 - Oct 30 by ribble

There was a BST newsletter which came out the other day quoting (I think) around 1,300 members. Sure TAM can confirm.

Personally, I believe BST is quite right in standing back from getting involved in protests. It's critical that to achieve its long term goals BST has to be seen as a credible voice. If it backed or organised a protest it couldn't properly control and there was an 'incident' then the media (which it has so well to court) would run a mile.

Better to be in the game than on the sidelines.

As I indicated earlier I am a member of BST and my reason for joining was to be part of a group who were prepared to call the owners to account and be more transparent in their governance of the Club. The first meeting I attended showed that it had people who were articulate and well-informed in legal and financial accounting. At that meeting it was said that protests would not be the way forward, so my expectation was that at some stage dialogue would be forthcoming.

That would seem to be the stance at the moment, and it may take some time to achieve a result, but if BST are changing their stance I would feel a little cheated out of my membership fee.

Incidentally, although I have duly paid my subscription, I have yet to receive any notice of meetings (I read elsewhere that there is to be one on Saturday). This in itself leads to me to treat the motives of the group with some caution.
BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 20:20 - Oct 30 with 1470 viewsribble

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 20:10 - Oct 30 by famousgrouse

As I indicated earlier I am a member of BST and my reason for joining was to be part of a group who were prepared to call the owners to account and be more transparent in their governance of the Club. The first meeting I attended showed that it had people who were articulate and well-informed in legal and financial accounting. At that meeting it was said that protests would not be the way forward, so my expectation was that at some stage dialogue would be forthcoming.

That would seem to be the stance at the moment, and it may take some time to achieve a result, but if BST are changing their stance I would feel a little cheated out of my membership fee.

Incidentally, although I have duly paid my subscription, I have yet to receive any notice of meetings (I read elsewhere that there is to be one on Saturday). This in itself leads to me to treat the motives of the group with some caution.

Dialog with the owners has to be on BST's agenda if it is to attain its stated objective of a place on the Board. However, KO has made it quite clear (regrettably) that it is not something he is prepared to entertain whilst he is at the helm so talks with the Oystons would seem to me, at least at the present time, pretty pointless.
BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 20:40 - Oct 30 with 1455 viewsBigbrother

Got to confess I have a bit of a problem with this paragraph

Karl Oyston said he made the change to give Blackpool the best possible chance of surviving in the Championship. It is clear to most of us that the team will only get results if the new manager is allowed to do what Riga was prevented from doing — bringing in his preferred targets.

Based on the two players who it seems to be widely agreed were part of his preferred targets - Zenjov and Cubero - is there any guarantee that we would have been in a better place. Neither have set us alight with their football (or lack of it) this season. Miller was definitely a Riga target who he let know was his 'big signing' of the summer and he's been average at best and then who's to say the Orlandi's, Oriol's and Mendy's weren't on that original list either?

Not a pro-Oyston before anyone gets on my back, but now he's gone Riga did leave more questions than answers.

Poll: Who is King Rat in the Oyston Family

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 20:41 - Oct 30 with 1454 viewsArchibaldKnox

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 20:20 - Oct 30 by ribble

Dialog with the owners has to be on BST's agenda if it is to attain its stated objective of a place on the Board. However, KO has made it quite clear (regrettably) that it is not something he is prepared to entertain whilst he is at the helm so talks with the Oystons would seem to me, at least at the present time, pretty pointless.

I have heard that one of the BSA reps gave a comment on radio, but I have not been able to hear any. They are transient events , if you miss them they are gone. Not many go podcast searching. The only broadcast I did hear fully was the 80 mins on Radio Lancs on Tuesday evening.

But a written statement posted out to message boards, newspaper etc has a much longer life and is picked up widely. I just feel that BST has a better understanding of modern comms than BSA who it seems are being left behind. BST also seem proactive with definite plans and rapid responses, whereas BSA seem only reactive and slow. It would be in the fans interest for both organisations to agree a joint position, and perhaps issue joint statements, where they agree. If BSA can respond quickly. That might lead to eventual merger, so that there can be a single focus for fans, and a single contact with the owners. Trade unions work more effectively like that.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2014 20:54]
BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 20:42 - Oct 30 with 1451 views1953Original

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 20:41 - Oct 30 by ArchibaldKnox

I have heard that one of the BSA reps gave a comment on radio, but I have not been able to hear any. They are transient events , if you miss them they are gone. Not many go podcast searching. The only broadcast I did hear fully was the 80 mins on Radio Lancs on Tuesday evening.

But a written statement posted out to message boards, newspaper etc has a much longer life and is picked up widely. I just feel that BST has a better understanding of modern comms than BSA who it seems are being left behind. BST also seem proactive with definite plans and rapid responses, whereas BSA seem only reactive and slow. It would be in the fans interest for both organisations to agree a joint position, and perhaps issue joint statements, where they agree. If BSA can respond quickly. That might lead to eventual merger, so that there can be a single focus for fans, and a single contact with the owners. Trade unions work more effectively like that.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2014 20:54]

BB - you'll get nowhere with that argument - in fact those who adopt a shoot to kill anyone who has anything to say against Riga policy would have pulled their trigger with your opening line. Very true though.

Poll: League One Play Off Winners?

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 20:49 - Oct 30 with 1438 viewsArchibaldKnox

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 16:09 - Oct 30 by basilrobbiereborn

>> I feel that getting Karl to engage with both BSA and BST is the start of a possible rapprochement ; I don't think it would be helpful to box him into a corner any more than he already is - he does siege mentality very well. Better by far to coax him out, but I quite understand it's a lot harder to do it than say it. <<

Honestly, in KO, sometimes it feels as if we are dealing with a 7-year old child who we have to tiptoe around in order to avoid a tantrum. He doesn't seem to have normal reactions.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2014 20:56]
BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 08:12 - Oct 31 with 1381 viewswespens

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 20:49 - Oct 30 by ArchibaldKnox

>> I feel that getting Karl to engage with both BSA and BST is the start of a possible rapprochement ; I don't think it would be helpful to box him into a corner any more than he already is - he does siege mentality very well. Better by far to coax him out, but I quite understand it's a lot harder to do it than say it. <<

Honestly, in KO, sometimes it feels as if we are dealing with a 7-year old child who we have to tiptoe around in order to avoid a tantrum. He doesn't seem to have normal reactions.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2014 20:56]

I think Karl will blame BST for all the demos and stuff even though from what Zi can green it wasn't actually them who organised it. Plus would you talk to a group that wants rid of you? Arguably been too hard line in their approach to this and trumpeting Belokon to ever be invited to the top table.

Poll: Would you ever play John Lundstram again?

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 21:50 - Nov 2 with 1330 views1953Original

Has all been a bit quiet since their meeting on Saturday - did anyone go and was anything released as to what was voted on etc?

Poll: League One Play Off Winners?

BST statement on the appointment of Lee Clark on 21:55 - Nov 2 with 1328 viewsOrioltwins

My mate went and said was absolutely packed but was a bit shambolic and other than hearing Riga may come across said it was pretty pointless.

BST is a great idea but they need to grow a set of balls, select a committee, come up with an agenda and stop namby pambying around with countless votes and meetings.

Do what Farage has done with UKIP - get a one line vote winning idea and run with it. At the moment it's all too airy fairy!

Poll: Will a points deduction by FL be this or next season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024