Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
American investors for an American market? 17:59 - Oct 30 with 2418 viewsNOTRAC

Is the John Moores a deal designed to make capital gains for the chosen few to the overall detriment of Swansea City, or is it a clever move that anticipates the changes that are likely to take place in football and particularly in the Premiership in the forthcoming years.
I believe that the Premiership is approaching a crossroad in respect of football globalisation.
Statistics suggest that the popularity of the Premiership , has increased suddenly and dramatically worldwide and particularly in America and India.
Cricket affords us a prime example of how quickly things can change with global cricket now virtually being controlled in India with the success of the 20/20 league.
At the moment the Premiership is at the top of the pile because it attracts the worlds best players numerically if not individually, as it could be argued that the four best players in the world now play in La Liga.
The Premiership will have to react therefore to stay top dog, and in order to do this ,substantial changes will be made.
League games will be played in America and other continents.This is already happening with American Football being played at Wembley.
The top clubs from other leagues will become part of the Premiership and it will eventually include teams from America and India etc.
To be part of this new set up therefore we have to establish ourselves in the American market.
Someone like John Moores could be the person to do it.His reward would be in having a share of the profits generated from the American market possibly through a subsidiary , and therefore the danger to the present Company would be minimised and share sales not needed.
Is the above sky in the pie. It could be, who knows.But as the only Welsh club in the Premiership we have a marvellous marketing opportunity to take advantage of changes if and when they occur.

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

American investors for an American market? on 12:48 - Nov 3 with 1745 viewstomdickharry

No question in my mind that this is the area our potential new investors have their eyes on,how,is the million dollar question but staying in the PL is the vital part of the way ahead.Possibly a new share issue will be part of the answer with the resultant cash injection going straight to the club.All speculation of course.
American investors for an American market? on 13:00 - Nov 3 with 1707 viewsParlay

Nobody knows is the simple answer.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

American investors for an American market? on 13:00 - Nov 3 with 1705 viewswestside

baseball is on the decline in america while football is on the rise.

will season ticket holders get a dividend as we put the money in every season ?
American investors for an American market? on 13:06 - Nov 3 with 1680 viewsFag_Ash_Will

What is this "Premiership" you speak of?
American investors for an American market? on 13:27 - Nov 3 with 1624 viewsDewi1jack

Think that NoTrac makes some good points. Certainly provokes thought.
A fully international club cup/ league competition? Possibly have to break away from the respective FA's/ FIFA/ UEFA etc. Along the lines of the European Super League that keeps raising its head.
P1ss all the football authorities off, as an awful lot of money would go out of their pockets.
Trouble is, it would alienate all the other football clubs left out of the equation, for the above reason.
Would Garside (think that' s right, (Bolton chairman)) then agree with no relegation/ promotion as he spouted? Would the mouthy get agree or even mention it now?
Ah well. All I can do, as can the rest of us speculating on this "investment/ take-over/ share sale" is have faith that the Trust will use it's experience in trying its hardest, to ensure there is a club for our kids/ grand-kids/ great grand kids to enjoy.
Saying that, going to have to leave a bit earlier in the morning than we did/do for Carlisle/ Ipswich/ Newcastle away to make Buenos Aires away

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

American investors for an American market? on 13:49 - Nov 3 with 1579 viewslonglostjack

American investors for an American market? on 13:27 - Nov 3 by Dewi1jack

Think that NoTrac makes some good points. Certainly provokes thought.
A fully international club cup/ league competition? Possibly have to break away from the respective FA's/ FIFA/ UEFA etc. Along the lines of the European Super League that keeps raising its head.
P1ss all the football authorities off, as an awful lot of money would go out of their pockets.
Trouble is, it would alienate all the other football clubs left out of the equation, for the above reason.
Would Garside (think that' s right, (Bolton chairman)) then agree with no relegation/ promotion as he spouted? Would the mouthy get agree or even mention it now?
Ah well. All I can do, as can the rest of us speculating on this "investment/ take-over/ share sale" is have faith that the Trust will use it's experience in trying its hardest, to ensure there is a club for our kids/ grand-kids/ great grand kids to enjoy.
Saying that, going to have to leave a bit earlier in the morning than we did/do for Carlisle/ Ipswich/ Newcastle away to make Buenos Aires away

The German authorities would not be too keen for a start.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/premierleague/article4250833.ece

Lose the fans and football will ultimately pay the price.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

American investors for an American market? on 13:55 - Nov 3 with 1568 viewsUxbridge

We're not talking about someone taking over the American franchise of Swansea City. Every report has been about a sale of shares in the club.

I'm all for the club looking to improve its commercial arm (hell I've called out for it enough times), and overseas looks to be the big potential area for that, but I've seen precious little information that suggests that this is anything to do with maximising our overseas revenues or indeed what these "investors" are seeking to get for their money. Because make no mistake, people only invest to generate a return for themselves.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

American investors for an American market? on 14:04 - Nov 3 with 1544 viewsUxbridge

Oh and I'm dead against these foreign games or expanding the league. We've heard stories about an expanded European league for as long as I can remember and it isn't any closer to happening. My money is that it won't.

Login to get fewer ads

American investors for an American market? on 14:04 - Nov 3 with 1543 viewslondonlisa2001

American investors for an American market? on 13:55 - Nov 3 by Uxbridge

We're not talking about someone taking over the American franchise of Swansea City. Every report has been about a sale of shares in the club.

I'm all for the club looking to improve its commercial arm (hell I've called out for it enough times), and overseas looks to be the big potential area for that, but I've seen precious little information that suggests that this is anything to do with maximising our overseas revenues or indeed what these "investors" are seeking to get for their money. Because make no mistake, people only invest to generate a return for themselves.

at the moment, I've seen precious little information about any investment into the club.

Unless I'm missing something, all I've seen is reports of the current shareholders selling some of their shares in the club (which may lead to selling all of their shares in the club).

Since this amounts to exactly zero investment as far as the club is concerned, we wait to hear if this will in turn lead to any future investment into the club at all or simply will lead to a change in the recipients (and amounts) of dividends paid.
American investors for an American market? on 14:08 - Nov 3 with 1529 viewsUxbridge

American investors for an American market? on 14:04 - Nov 3 by londonlisa2001

at the moment, I've seen precious little information about any investment into the club.

Unless I'm missing something, all I've seen is reports of the current shareholders selling some of their shares in the club (which may lead to selling all of their shares in the club).

Since this amounts to exactly zero investment as far as the club is concerned, we wait to hear if this will in turn lead to any future investment into the club at all or simply will lead to a change in the recipients (and amounts) of dividends paid.

Completely agree on the investment terminology. It's been rather disingenuous I thought. As you say, a sale of shares doesn't benefit SCFC in cash terms one penny.

American investors for an American market? on 14:14 - Nov 3 with 1513 viewslondonlisa2001

American investors for an American market? on 14:08 - Nov 3 by Uxbridge

Completely agree on the investment terminology. It's been rather disingenuous I thought. As you say, a sale of shares doesn't benefit SCFC in cash terms one penny.

yes - so far, the reality of what has been said is that the Swans can't compete at the top level any longer unless Leigh / Huw / JVZ etc etc have a bigger house and better holidays.

Think about it - that is actually what, so far, has been said. Now that may not be the entire story, but thankfully, not all supporters are thick.
American investors for an American market? on 14:17 - Nov 3 with 1503 viewsUxbridge

American investors for an American market? on 14:14 - Nov 3 by londonlisa2001

yes - so far, the reality of what has been said is that the Swans can't compete at the top level any longer unless Leigh / Huw / JVZ etc etc have a bigger house and better holidays.

Think about it - that is actually what, so far, has been said. Now that may not be the entire story, but thankfully, not all supporters are thick.

Absolutely. The pleasing thing is that the reaction has been so against it. There was a time when people would have been blinded by the mythical prospect of "free" money.

American investors for an American market? on 14:17 - Nov 3 with 1501 viewsDewi1jack

American investors for an American market? on 14:04 - Nov 3 by Uxbridge

Oh and I'm dead against these foreign games or expanding the league. We've heard stories about an expanded European league for as long as I can remember and it isn't any closer to happening. My money is that it won't.

The trouble is Ux, that the PL, club owners and players are greedy, for both money and power.
This could cause them to lose sight of the very fact that if a product has no customers, there is no need for the product to be sold in that country.
Although clubs like Man U/ Chelsea/ Barca/ Real Madrid etc would still be selling TV rights in their "original" country. They already have their TV channels in place.
Could there ever be the possibility of the World's top clubs (maybe a couple from the UK, couple from Spain/ Germany/ USA/ Brazil/ India etc) forming their own league, in a neutral country and forgetting their roots /fans/ history?
Enough money on the table makes it a distinct possibility.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

American investors for an American market? on 14:20 - Nov 3 with 1492 viewsUxbridge

American investors for an American market? on 14:17 - Nov 3 by Dewi1jack

The trouble is Ux, that the PL, club owners and players are greedy, for both money and power.
This could cause them to lose sight of the very fact that if a product has no customers, there is no need for the product to be sold in that country.
Although clubs like Man U/ Chelsea/ Barca/ Real Madrid etc would still be selling TV rights in their "original" country. They already have their TV channels in place.
Could there ever be the possibility of the World's top clubs (maybe a couple from the UK, couple from Spain/ Germany/ USA/ Brazil/ India etc) forming their own league, in a neutral country and forgetting their roots /fans/ history?
Enough money on the table makes it a distinct possibility.

They lost sight years ago mate. The match attending fans in this country are all too often seen as an inconvenience.

Personally I just think there's too many roadblocks in place for a world or european league to ever take off. I could see the Champions League expanded globally though.

American investors for an American market? on 14:23 - Nov 3 with 1482 viewsMattG

American investors for an American market? on 14:14 - Nov 3 by londonlisa2001

I've had the same thoughts and have therefore assumed that they must be talking about some sort of share sale / dilution combination which would mean money for the Club as well as whichever of the shareholders choose to sell.

As you and Ux have both said, a straightforward sale of shares doesn't mean any money whatsoever for the Club.
American investors for an American market? on 14:33 - Nov 3 with 1458 viewslondonlisa2001

American investors for an American market? on 14:17 - Nov 3 by Uxbridge

Absolutely. The pleasing thing is that the reaction has been so against it. There was a time when people would have been blinded by the mythical prospect of "free" money.

I agree.

Although I'm not certain that the reaction on here will be typical to be honest. There is a good sprinkling on here of people that remember the 9th Floor / Silver Shield / Petty days. I'm not convinced that the average fans will see beyond the 'American billionaire' headlines.

There is a part of me though, that thinks the choice between 'fan owned' and 'foreign investors' has already gone.

Given the apparent current motivation / behaviours of some of the current shareholders, it seems to me that the actual option now is 'local people trying to make as much money as possible from the club' and 'foreign owners trying to make as much money as possible from the club'. I don't personally give a rat's behind whether we pay dividends to current or new owners. Once profits and distributing those profits into the pockets of the owners has become the main motivation, then there is a part of me that thinks if we are going to be the same as all other clubs in this regard, at least let's find some people that appear to know their backside from their elbow.
American investors for an American market? on 14:37 - Nov 3 with 1444 viewsDewi1jack

American investors for an American market? on 14:20 - Nov 3 by Uxbridge

They lost sight years ago mate. The match attending fans in this country are all too often seen as an inconvenience.

Personally I just think there's too many roadblocks in place for a world or european league to ever take off. I could see the Champions League expanded globally though.

Can't disagree with your 1st point at all.
Everyone from Sky, the government, Police and many others, do try and inconvenience the fans, at every opportunity.
The government will at least pay lip service to us all, when they need the votes. Then promptly treat us like sh1te again.
My worry is, I like millions of others love my live football, watching the club that has become an integral part of my and my family's life, believe that greed of a few, will overcome the obstacles stopping such plans. Football fans just become a by-product of a
Really hope you're right and my fears stay just as fears.
And that football as we know it, doesn't become a zero sum game for some conglomerate.

American investors for an American market? on 14:41 - Nov 3 with 1434 viewsUxbridge

American investors for an American market? on 14:33 - Nov 3 by londonlisa2001

I agree.

Although I'm not certain that the reaction on here will be typical to be honest. There is a good sprinkling on here of people that remember the 9th Floor / Silver Shield / Petty days. I'm not convinced that the average fans will see beyond the 'American billionaire' headlines.

There is a part of me though, that thinks the choice between 'fan owned' and 'foreign investors' has already gone.

Given the apparent current motivation / behaviours of some of the current shareholders, it seems to me that the actual option now is 'local people trying to make as much money as possible from the club' and 'foreign owners trying to make as much money as possible from the club'. I don't personally give a rat's behind whether we pay dividends to current or new owners. Once profits and distributing those profits into the pockets of the owners has become the main motivation, then there is a part of me that thinks if we are going to be the same as all other clubs in this regard, at least let's find some people that appear to know their backside from their elbow.

We're agreeing a lot

The ethos has definitely changed for many especially with the paying out of the divi's (that £3m isn't an inconsiderable sum).

For me, it's a question of why the need for change. I know nowhere near enough to know if these Americans are the sorts who can help our club progress. I would hope that any shareholder looking to sell their stake is making damn sure they are selling to people who will protect the club and not just seeing the £ signs. I don't think the Swansea public will forgive them if they didn't.

For all their faults, and we could spend all day listing them, we've progressed to becoming a mid-table teams in the Premier League with the current ownership structure. The money from domestic and overseas media rights is simply astronomical and only going to increase. As a fan who has taken great pride in our rise by running the club sensibly and without getting into debt, it would seem mad to change that.

American investors for an American market? on 15:03 - Nov 3 with 1388 viewslondonlisa2001

American investors for an American market? on 14:41 - Nov 3 by Uxbridge

We're agreeing a lot

The ethos has definitely changed for many especially with the paying out of the divi's (that £3m isn't an inconsiderable sum).

For me, it's a question of why the need for change. I know nowhere near enough to know if these Americans are the sorts who can help our club progress. I would hope that any shareholder looking to sell their stake is making damn sure they are selling to people who will protect the club and not just seeing the £ signs. I don't think the Swansea public will forgive them if they didn't.

For all their faults, and we could spend all day listing them, we've progressed to becoming a mid-table teams in the Premier League with the current ownership structure. The money from domestic and overseas media rights is simply astronomical and only going to increase. As a fan who has taken great pride in our rise by running the club sensibly and without getting into debt, it would seem mad to change that.

well we'll agree one more time (let's not make too much of a habit of it !! )

The need for change, it seems to me, is that some of our shareholders fancy cashing out before they run the risk of a relegation and losing it all.

In my view, there is an awful lot of progress that could be made with the current structure. I understand that running as a debt free club requires difficult choices from time to time - a bigger stand vs a new full back type decision. But it also seems to me that we have a great potential for improving our income streams with the current structure in place. We have lucrative naming rights up for grabs with the stadium. We have debenture packages that could be used to fund at least a chunk of new capacity. We have a fairly appalling commercial set up - shirt sales for example. Why on earth do clubs like Man Utd & Real Madrid sell their shirts everywhere if it is really such a bad idea to sell them anywhere other than the club shop?

Shirt sponsorships - are we really getting the best possible deal for these given some of the sums other clubs can generate? Now the answers to some of these question may be that we are doing all we can. But it would seem to make sense to me that we employ someone who is really at the top of their game to oversee such things. Let's look at the agreement with the council and stadco. We could generate substantial income from the stadium itself - functions / concerts etc etc. Is there a deal we could do with the council to take a bigger share of this in return for a different calculation of leasing arrangements?

Also - once the training facilities are paid for, and it seems they at least largely are completed, then the substantial funds that this has taken up over the past couple of years reverts back to the club for use in other ways - we on't keep on needing to spend millions on training facilities every year just because we have done so once. There are, of course, improvements to them, upgrades and maintenance and so on, but the big capital expenditure has now gone, so we should have more free cash.

The timing of all of this suggests wanting to cash in rather than genuinely needing investment, and I for one, would have more respect if they just admitted it.
American investors for an American market? on 15:28 - Nov 3 with 1339 viewsfbreath

Problem is with a lot of these very wealthy people is that they can be a smiling knife.

Re our current income streams, could the lack of creativity in what has been done be something devised to create a situation were "we need more income". Lets be honest your average Jo could think of lots of ways to improve what we do at the moment.

Lets hope that all these discussions we are having on here are just something that can be laughed at when something amazing is announced.

My dad died 4 years ago today at the age of 80 he spent a fortune investing time and money (home and away) in the club he loved and he wasn't even from Swansea originally, but came here in the 1950's. Hope my children and grand children have a club to be proud of when and if I reach 80

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

American investors for an American market? on 15:41 - Nov 3 with 1300 viewsParlay

American investors for an American market? on 13:00 - Nov 3 by westside

Season ticket holders havent put the money in every season. The majority of season ticket holders have only been season ticket holders for 3 years and thats a statistical fact.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

American investors for an American market? on 15:43 - Nov 3 with 1292 viewsUxbridge

American investors for an American market? on 15:41 - Nov 3 by Parlay

Season ticket holders havent put the money in every season. The majority of season ticket holders have only been season ticket holders for 3 years and thats a statistical fact.

I read this post in a Chris Morris stylee. Fine work.

American investors for an American market? on 16:11 - Nov 3 with 1231 viewsTummer_from_Texas

I agree that being the only Welsh club could be a marketing advantage.

I wear my new (white, 2014-2015 version) Swans shirt a lot around Dallas lately (most recently at FC Dallas' final regular season home game last weekend); and while there still are only a handful of us Texans who claim Swansea City as our team, lately I get a lot a compliments and questions about how I think we are going to fare, this season and in the long term.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

American investors for an American market? on 16:16 - Nov 3 with 1219 viewsTummer_from_Texas

American investors for an American market? on 13:00 - Nov 3 by westside

While it's kind of comparing apples to oranges (since the WC is only once every four years), it was interesting to find out that every one of USA's WC games had more than DOUBLE the American viewership than most of the World Series games.

As someone who considers baseball my least favorite of the major American sports, that brought a smile to my face. "Soccer" (sorry) is indeed finally turning a corner over here.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

American investors for an American market? on 16:57 - Nov 3 with 1164 viewsClinton

American investors for an American market? on 13:06 - Nov 3 by Fag_Ash_Will

What is this "Premiership" you speak of?

You are Yoda, I claim my 5 pound prize.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024