Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Did Riga split fans? 08:05 - Oct 31 with 2278 viewsSTHolder

Clearly Ollie brought every fan together, there was general apathy about Appleton, everyone was glad to see the back of Ince and Ferguson was just a stop gap. However there now seems a real split with our fans and it seems to have come with the appointment of Riga. Was he really the saviour and the great hope that many still say or was he the Emperor's new clothes?

Either way his legacy will live in as far as a rift in the supporters exists.
Did Riga split fans? on 12:52 - Oct 31 with 658 viewsLala

Did Riga split fans? on 12:44 - Oct 31 by straightatthewall

Ah, I see. In the 14 games he oversaw AND taking into account where started and the farce that then followed, he should have done more. Now I get you...

SATW

Now you appear to be intentionally misunderstanding me.....

Whatever you say, in my opinion he did not over-achieve in any way and he didn't prove himself to be anything special. Whether he would have been under different circumstances who knows.....but there is certainly no actul evidence of this either way.

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

Did Riga split fans? on 12:54 - Oct 31 with 658 viewsterminallytangerine

Did Riga split fans? on 11:18 - Oct 31 by straightatthewall

TT,

'I wasn't impressed by performances overall - he often defended too deep and his players were often too slow getting the ball forward and rarely if ever got behind the opposition's full backs.'

We defended deep because a) our only right back isn't quick enough or athletic enough to get forward and back in a box-to-box manner. Funnily enough, he wasn't last season either and didn't do it then. We have precious little in midfield aside from a player in Perkins who will run all day and die for the cause, but doesn't have enough quality to make a real difference. Funnily enough, he did the same last season.
You say you applauded his attempts to play football, but also wanted the ball moved forward more quickly. Shall we hoof or shall we pass? Had he hoofed, I can be damn
sure that would have eventually been used as a stick to beat him with.
We rarely get behind the opposition full backs because we don't have anyone in midfield who is good enough to pick out a pass and we don't have anyone wide who has the required quality to beat a man consistently.

All of the above come down to one thing and one thing alone. Player recruitment. You even appear to acknowledge this. Yet, somehow, you think that a manager or coach can be given any old player and then get them to perform at the required level. And before you reference Ollie and the budget then to the budget now, you really need to stop and think about the real differences between how we operated then - with VB's financial backing - and how we operate now. That includes, but is not exclusive to, areas such as length of contract and performance related bonuses.

Lala - I'm on this site, not because of the 'good people.' If anything, I'm on it to try and get the truth through to people like yourself. Because this idea that Riga did something wrong or Ince or Fergie or Ollie for that matter is something that is holding us back. Even if Clark pulls off a miracle this season, his long term prospects are no better.

As I keep saying, despite the accusations that it's 'just because he stood up to Oyston', I back any manager, because until they are given sensible support from Karl there role is simply window dressing. It's rearranging deckchairs on the titanic. It's blaming your breaks when you get in a car pissed and crash it....I could go on....

I don't think there is a lot to disagree with in your post SATW. It might have been possible to play Daniels at right back as he did against Huddersfield when he scored and McMahon as a centre half as Ferguson did against QPR when he had an excellent game but I don't dispute that Riga knows more about managing a football team than I do.

He had to work with the hand he was given but as said the negativity following the Millwall game convinced me that he wasn't going to be able to lift the players or the football club in the way we all want. Cardiff I think was an exception but the two subsequent games were dire. One of the requirements of any manager is to ooze positivity which is what made Grayson and Holloway - and McMahon when he first arrived - so successful.

I don't exonerate the owners at all but Riga in my view made it more difficult for KO to back him by his public opposition to him - again no doubt borne out of frustration and broken promises - but not the best way to get what you want I would have thought.

On the evidence of the season so far though Riga will not go down as one of our more successful managers when we take the long view and his current hero status will no doubt pass if Clark gets more out of the current squad than he has. In the meantime we surely have all got to hope that Clark is successful and not wish as some obviously do that he fails so that the Oystons get egg on the face (the same people by the way who were rejoicing when Riga had supposedly walked within a week or so of his appointment.)

So the Oystons do have to change or go in my opinion, but that doesn't mean that I have to back a manager who has not delivered just because his politics were popular.
Did Riga split fans? on 13:17 - Oct 31 with 640 viewsLala

Did Riga split fans? on 12:54 - Oct 31 by terminallytangerine

I don't think there is a lot to disagree with in your post SATW. It might have been possible to play Daniels at right back as he did against Huddersfield when he scored and McMahon as a centre half as Ferguson did against QPR when he had an excellent game but I don't dispute that Riga knows more about managing a football team than I do.

He had to work with the hand he was given but as said the negativity following the Millwall game convinced me that he wasn't going to be able to lift the players or the football club in the way we all want. Cardiff I think was an exception but the two subsequent games were dire. One of the requirements of any manager is to ooze positivity which is what made Grayson and Holloway - and McMahon when he first arrived - so successful.

I don't exonerate the owners at all but Riga in my view made it more difficult for KO to back him by his public opposition to him - again no doubt borne out of frustration and broken promises - but not the best way to get what you want I would have thought.

On the evidence of the season so far though Riga will not go down as one of our more successful managers when we take the long view and his current hero status will no doubt pass if Clark gets more out of the current squad than he has. In the meantime we surely have all got to hope that Clark is successful and not wish as some obviously do that he fails so that the Oystons get egg on the face (the same people by the way who were rejoicing when Riga had supposedly walked within a week or so of his appointment.)

So the Oystons do have to change or go in my opinion, but that doesn't mean that I have to back a manager who has not delivered just because his politics were popular.

'So the Oystons do have to change or go in my opinion, but that doesn't mean that I have to back a manager who has not delivered just because his politics were popular. '

You're great you are

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

Did Riga split fans? on 13:18 - Oct 31 with 640 viewsTang67

Ah, I see. In the 14 games he oversaw AND taking into account where started and the farce that then followed, he should have done more. Now I get you...

Where is the rumour about the BST meeting ?
I intend to go anyway but that would add to proceedings
Agree the divisions amongst our support pre date José but they have never been as visceral as they are now - we all know what the root cause is and for that reason cannot see a quick resolution
BTW I wish Clarke all the best in his mission which I assume is 4th fr the bottom

Poster formerly known as bisphamtang

Did Riga split fans? on 13:31 - Oct 31 with 633 viewsstraightatthewall

Did Riga split fans? on 12:54 - Oct 31 by terminallytangerine

TT,

once again you go through a whole post talking about where the blame really lies and then say Riga 'hasn't delivered'. But the reasons he didn't deliver all lie in the role played by the owners. IF Lewis Hamilton is sent out in a go-kart on Sunday and doesn't win, has he also 'not delivered'?

Re the positive/negative argument, I think Riga played Karl well. It was clear from day 3 (artistic licence) that he'd been led down a path he hadn't signed up for and from that point on he made it quite clear that was the case. Had he tried to get on with Karl's way - and gone through the usual platitudes when the likes of Delfounso and Clarke signed - he'd be getting the blame for where we are now and his CV would be trashed.

Did he have the club's best interests at heart? Of course not. Would I have done the same in his position? Absolutely.

We got Bogdanovic, Oyston got very rich

Did Riga split fans? on 14:31 - Oct 31 with 613 viewsterminallytangerine

Did Riga split fans? on 13:31 - Oct 31 by straightatthewall

TT,

once again you go through a whole post talking about where the blame really lies and then say Riga 'hasn't delivered'. But the reasons he didn't deliver all lie in the role played by the owners. IF Lewis Hamilton is sent out in a go-kart on Sunday and doesn't win, has he also 'not delivered'?

Re the positive/negative argument, I think Riga played Karl well. It was clear from day 3 (artistic licence) that he'd been led down a path he hadn't signed up for and from that point on he made it quite clear that was the case. Had he tried to get on with Karl's way - and gone through the usual platitudes when the likes of Delfounso and Clarke signed - he'd be getting the blame for where we are now and his CV would be trashed.

Did he have the club's best interests at heart? Of course not. Would I have done the same in his position? Absolutely.

Well we'll just have to see how Clark manages with same go-kart.

Too early to make comparisons as the team are judged on results but I think we needed a change, and as neither of us can see into the future perhaps better to wait and see.
Did Riga split fans? on 15:29 - Oct 31 with 598 viewsstraightatthewall

Did Riga split fans? on 14:31 - Oct 31 by terminallytangerine

Well we'll just have to see how Clark manages with same go-kart.

Too early to make comparisons as the team are judged on results but I think we needed a change, and as neither of us can see into the future perhaps better to wait and see.

One thing I can agree on is the need for change. It obviously couldn't continue as it was.

Did Riga split fans? on 15:32 - Oct 31 with 596 viewsWizaard

Did Riga split fans? on 08:18 - Oct 31 by Curryman

I don't personally think that Riga did split the fans, 99.9% seemed, to me, to be behind him. The old saying of not being able to polish a turd or make a purse out of a sows ear if you prefer does apply to Riga, and we will never know how good his team could have been if he had had the Chairman's backing. Some questions were raised about his ability to change a game, his team selection and his medling, but I'm sure the same questions have been asked about all previous managers Ollie included (remember Villa?).

The club, however appears to have been suffering from something akin to the Persian - Peloponnesian war when The Greek city-states (namely Athens and Sparta) won the Persian War. The Peloponnesian League (led by the city-state Sparta) won the Peloponnesian War against the Athenian Empire. After the war, Sparta was the ruling state of Greece. The war destroyed the economy and brought poverty and suffering to the state. Athens could never again gain its lost prosperity that it was proud of, pre-war. Likewise BFC seems to have lost it's prosperity and may do so again when the war against the owners is won.

Nice bit of historical analogy there Wilf. Of course, it's always good to get that comparison from someone who was there...

Login to get fewer ads

Did Riga split fans? on 15:34 - Oct 31 with 591 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Did Riga split fans? on 15:32 - Oct 31 by Wizaard

Nice bit of historical analogy there Wilf. Of course, it's always good to get that comparison from someone who was there...

I heard he started it off Wiz.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2014 15:37]

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

Did Riga split fans? on 16:27 - Oct 31 with 578 viewsstraightatthewall

Did Riga split fans? on 15:34 - Oct 31 by basilrobbiereborn

I heard he started it off Wiz.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2014 15:37]

Which character was he in '300'?

Did Riga split fans? on 16:31 - Oct 31 with 566 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Did Riga split fans? on 15:32 - Oct 31 by Wizaard

I have this image of him setting off for Corinth via Doncaster and moaning about rubbish public transport.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

Did Riga split fans? on 16:32 - Oct 31 with 563 viewsBISONS

Oyston has split the fans. The split with the fans has always been there. Even after our most recent success under holloway most fans looked to our owners expecting investment and it didn't come.

Some still support the owners rather bizarrely.

Riga has done more to bring the support together and realise the mess our owners have got us into.
Did Riga split fans? on 17:05 - Oct 31 with 537 viewsTwoPhillips

Did Riga split fans? on 16:32 - Oct 31 by BISONS

Oyston has split the fans. The split with the fans has always been there. Even after our most recent success under holloway most fans looked to our owners expecting investment and it didn't come.

Some still support the owners rather bizarrely.

Riga has done more to bring the support together and realise the mess our owners have got us into.

Think BISONS hit the nail on the head - Oyston split the fans but I think Riga's appointment arguably increased the divide!

Poll: That final Premier League Relegation Place

Did Riga split fans? on 19:41 - Nov 2 with 503 viewsSTHolder

At least Clark has united fans - we all thought it was crap!!
Did Riga split fans? on 21:05 - Nov 2 with 494 viewsFast_Fourier_Transfo

What an excellent read this thread is. By all accounts, Riga is an excellent coach, although I suspect his man-management skills were not so impressive. Did Riga split the fans? Not in my opinion, Karl had already achieved this some time ago.
Edit: I've only just noticed that there are two pages to this thread, which will explain why my post just seems to be repeating others' opinions - new to site
[Post edited 2 Nov 2014 21:12]
Did Riga split fans? on 21:11 - Nov 2 with 475 viewsterminallytangerine

Did Riga split fans? on 21:05 - Nov 2 by Fast_Fourier_Transfo

What an excellent read this thread is. By all accounts, Riga is an excellent coach, although I suspect his man-management skills were not so impressive. Did Riga split the fans? Not in my opinion, Karl had already achieved this some time ago.
Edit: I've only just noticed that there are two pages to this thread, which will explain why my post just seems to be repeating others' opinions - new to site
[Post edited 2 Nov 2014 21:12]

If everyone agrees with me the fans aren't split. Simples.

Unfortunately I've met a lot of people who feel exactly the same.
Did Riga split fans? on 14:27 - Nov 3 with 451 viewsOsbourne

Did Riga split fans? on 21:11 - Nov 2 by terminallytangerine

If everyone agrees with me the fans aren't split. Simples.

Unfortunately I've met a lot of people who feel exactly the same.

I don't think that Mr Riga split the fans.

What Mr Riga did do though and in a serious fashion was;

Rattle Mr Karl Oyston's cage!
Did Riga split fans? on 19:40 - Nov 12 with 406 viewsKOSBowlCut

Did Riga split fans? on 14:27 - Nov 3 by Osbourne

I don't think that Mr Riga split the fans.

What Mr Riga did do though and in a serious fashion was;

Rattle Mr Karl Oyston's cage!

I think the saddest thing of all whether you loved the guy or didn't buy in to him is that NONE of us will ever know just how good he potentially COULD have been. Therein for me lies the reason that the question was asked in the first place. He probably did split fans but those who didn't care for him never really got to see what he could have done because of the man at the helm - and strangely the same can be said of Appleton, Ferguson and Ince in my opinion.

Just as a bad manager can destroy a good club so a bad club can destroy a good manager!

Poll: Would you play Nile Ranger from the start against Reading?

Did Riga split fans? on 19:41 - Nov 12 with 405 views1953Original

Did Riga split fans? on 12:52 - Oct 31 by Lala

SATW

Now you appear to be intentionally misunderstanding me.....

Whatever you say, in my opinion he did not over-achieve in any way and he didn't prove himself to be anything special. Whether he would have been under different circumstances who knows.....but there is certainly no actul evidence of this either way.

Great last line KOBC!

Poll: League One Play Off Winners?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024