Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea Tidal Lagoon receives Government Backing 18:33 - Dec 2 with 7324 viewsLord_Bony

A big boost now given to the proposal...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-30283203

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Swansea Tidal Lagoon receives Government Backing on 23:56 - Dec 2 with 4508 viewsTomFoolery

We won't get the benefit of the energy created. All we will get is chewed up marine life. And lots of it. With the migrant fishermen and their nets killing shit loads of our sharks and this project it just shows how ignorant most local people are. Another get rich scheme using the energy agenda to con us into believing it's the right thing.
(No subject) (n/t) on 00:04 - Dec 3 with 4497 viewsacejack3065

Swansea Tidal Lagoon receives Government Backing on 23:56 - Dec 2 by TomFoolery

We won't get the benefit of the energy created. All we will get is chewed up marine life. And lots of it. With the migrant fishermen and their nets killing shit loads of our sharks and this project it just shows how ignorant most local people are. Another get rich scheme using the energy agenda to con us into believing it's the right thing.

(No subject) (n/t) on 00:04 - Dec 3 with 4497 viewsacejack3065

Swansea Tidal Lagoon receives Government Backing on 08:47 - Dec 3 with 4422 viewsScotia

This is the major bargaining part now.

It's all about how much cash the developers can get from the Government, basically it is hugely subsidised by the taxpayer.

If they don't get what they are asking for, parts of the scheme won't go ahead.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2014 11:48]
Swansea Tidal Lagoon receives Government Backing on 09:55 - Dec 3 with 4367 viewsperchrockjack

This scheme will provide 75% of Swansea energy needs, create serious jobs,and will be unique in the world yet some are already against it.
Its pointless using the environmental eyesore argument as it will be built at the docks end so hardly a blight on the landscape.
THIS is a chance to get Swansea regenerated. Its missed out so much even the capital of culture so lets not fook this one up

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Swansea Tidal Lagoon receives Government Backing on 09:57 - Dec 3 with 4376 viewsClinton

The slump on the oil price on the world market has not come at a good time for this project, it will reduce the short term competitiveness.
But good luck to them, it seems the project is gathering momentum. I hope it succeeds.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Swansea Tidal Lagoon receives Government Backing on 11:12 - Dec 3 with 4338 viewsCatullus

Our marine environment is definitely at risk, but not from this. There will be minimal impact on our local sealife. Unless you can provide the evidence to change my mind?

Where this project will fall down, in my eyes, is how much cheap electricity it provides for us locally. You can guarantee they'll want a subsidy similar to the wind farm bods, which is way too high. Even for a guaranteed return.
This kind of thing should always ne a nationally owned and run concern, as all essential services should be.
Allowing people to profiteer in areas that can put peoples lives at risk really makes my blood boil. Gas, electricity and water should be nationalised and any profit should be used to reduce the tax burden.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:08 - Dec 3 with 4297 viewsBrynmill_Jack

(No subject) (n/t) on 00:04 - Dec 3 by acejack3065

You what, you what,
You what , you what , you what?

For the old time NB singers lol. Have you lost your voice AJ, I'd love to hear your take on this mate

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea Tidal Lagoon receives Government Backing on 13:29 - Dec 3 with 4249 viewsQuakerJack

Swansea Tidal Lagoon receives Government Backing on 11:12 - Dec 3 by Catullus

Our marine environment is definitely at risk, but not from this. There will be minimal impact on our local sealife. Unless you can provide the evidence to change my mind?

Where this project will fall down, in my eyes, is how much cheap electricity it provides for us locally. You can guarantee they'll want a subsidy similar to the wind farm bods, which is way too high. Even for a guaranteed return.
This kind of thing should always ne a nationally owned and run concern, as all essential services should be.
Allowing people to profiteer in areas that can put peoples lives at risk really makes my blood boil. Gas, electricity and water should be nationalised and any profit should be used to reduce the tax burden.

Good post...

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Swansea Tidal Lagoon receives Government Backing on 13:32 - Dec 3 with 4245 viewsQuakerJack

Swansea Tidal Lagoon receives Government Backing on 09:55 - Dec 3 by perchrockjack

This scheme will provide 75% of Swansea energy needs, create serious jobs,and will be unique in the world yet some are already against it.
Its pointless using the environmental eyesore argument as it will be built at the docks end so hardly a blight on the landscape.
THIS is a chance to get Swansea regenerated. Its missed out so much even the capital of culture so lets not fook this one up

I agree with the sentiments here... we whinge when we get nothing.... then we get something and it's whinge whinge whinge again...

we'd be moaning about the assembly's bias if this was heading for Cardiff.

I do like a good moan tho

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Swansea Tidal Lagoon receives Government Backing on 13:32 - Dec 3 with 4245 viewsdickythorpe

I vote for "MONORAIL"!!!!
Swansea Tidal Lagoon receives Government Backing on 13:43 - Dec 3 with 4234 viewsBatterseajack

There was a good thread on this not so long back. There are some valid concerns surrounding this project, btu they seem addressable and so long as they are addressed then I'd support this project.

The government subsidy thing is a non issue, any pilot scheme scheme such as this would need it. This project also needs to prove to be a hit on all fronts otherwise the scheme won't get rolled out in other areas.

Also forget the short term drop in oil price, this project is about contributing to our country's long term energy dependency.
Swansea Tidal Lagoon receives Government Backing on 13:58 - Dec 3 with 4216 viewsQuakerJack

Swansea Tidal Lagoon receives Government Backing on 13:32 - Dec 3 by dickythorpe

I vote for "MONORAIL"!!!!

seconded...

Swansea Tidal Lagoon receives Government Backing on 14:21 - Dec 3 with 4191 viewsskippyjack

Any jobs?

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Swansea Tidal Lagoon receives Government Backing on 16:09 - Dec 3 with 4137 viewsHighjack

They should be building nuclear plants instead, and investing in fusion technology more than they are.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

(No subject) (n/t) on 16:21 - Dec 3 with 4128 viewsacejack3065

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:08 - Dec 3 by Brynmill_Jack

You what, you what,
You what , you what , you what?

For the old time NB singers lol. Have you lost your voice AJ, I'd love to hear your take on this mate

ah f*ck ive just had a look and my initial post hasn't materialised. Back to the drawing board with my psychic keyboard!

I wanted to ask TomFoolery why he didn't think Swansea would benefit from the energy generated and what he would define as the energy agenda.

My take on it is that is pretty much a good idea. We have the chance to become a world leader in renewable energy as well as creating local jobs and restoring marine life. My only little query is about the funding and building of the thing but from what i've read the bad is completely outweighed by the good.

The building of the second Swansea Uni campus could drastically improve the regeneration of Swansea and the location and purpose of the tidal lagoon should boost that no end. Its a progressive idea, of which we have been short of.
Swansea Tidal Lagoon receives Government Backing on 19:22 - Dec 3 with 4059 viewsmax936

Great post.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Swansea Tidal Lagoon receives Government Backing on 20:47 - Dec 3 with 4018 viewsBrynmill_Jack

And tea search into other sustainable energy types

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:52 - Dec 3 with 4014 viewsBrynmill_Jack

(No subject) (n/t) on 16:21 - Dec 3 by acejack3065

ah f*ck ive just had a look and my initial post hasn't materialised. Back to the drawing board with my psychic keyboard!

I wanted to ask TomFoolery why he didn't think Swansea would benefit from the energy generated and what he would define as the energy agenda.

My take on it is that is pretty much a good idea. We have the chance to become a world leader in renewable energy as well as creating local jobs and restoring marine life. My only little query is about the funding and building of the thing but from what i've read the bad is completely outweighed by the good.

The building of the second Swansea Uni campus could drastically improve the regeneration of Swansea and the location and purpose of the tidal lagoon should boost that no end. Its a progressive idea, of which we have been short of.

Too true. Catullus has a superb point about the funding and yes this should all be nationalized. I want to know why more subsidy isn't being made available for solar panels. We have great conditions ie daylight hours to have this as a serious energy source.

(No subject) (n/t) on 21:51 - Dec 3 with 3976 viewsDyfnant

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:52 - Dec 3 by Brynmill_Jack

Too true. Catullus has a superb point about the funding and yes this should all be nationalized. I want to know why more subsidy isn't being made available for solar panels. We have great conditions ie daylight hours to have this as a serious energy source.

The subsidies for domestic solar (PV) are very good. Any home owner with a South (ish) facing roof and a spare £6k in the bank would be a mug to not invest in a system

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

(No subject) (n/t) on 21:55 - Dec 3 with 3968 viewsBrynmill_Jack

(No subject) (n/t) on 21:51 - Dec 3 by Dyfnant

The subsidies for domestic solar (PV) are very good. Any home owner with a South (ish) facing roof and a spare £6k in the bank would be a mug to not invest in a system

Really? What's the rub there Roy?

(No subject) (n/t) on 01:18 - Dec 4 with 3891 viewsDyfnant

(No subject) (n/t) on 21:55 - Dec 3 by Brynmill_Jack

Really? What's the rub there Roy?

had ours installed 3 years ago last April. £7800 at the time and received just under £2500 in subsidy so far, also saving around 25% on our electricity bills. We're guaranteed an index linked rate per K watt hour of production for 25 years from installation. They pay a lower subsidy rate now over 20 years to reflect that the systems now cost around the £6k mark. If your interested I'll dig out the installers details. Our systems on track to pay off our outlay in 8 years, most of it has a 10 year warranty. Just fingers crossed after then, that it remains breakdown free

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

(No subject) (n/t) on 08:02 - Dec 4 with 3847 viewsDr_Winston

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:52 - Dec 3 by Brynmill_Jack

Not sure what business the Goverment has getting involved in power generation, but additional investment in other, useful sources like solar, nuclear and fusion are overdue.

If a fraction of the money gubbed away on f*cking windmills had been invested in tidal we'd be in a much better position.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Swansea Tidal Lagoon receives Government Backing on 09:09 - Dec 4 with 3822 viewsScotia

Swansea Tidal Lagoon receives Government Backing on 20:47 - Dec 3 by Brynmill_Jack

And tea search into other sustainable energy types

Unfortunately there is far more evidence about harm that this will do than any potetntial improvements. It's all in the public domain on the planning inspectorate website, it just hasn't been jumped on by local media and most politicians because of the emphasis on the farcical tourist benfits that TLSB has promoted.

What I think will happen, based on 3 years professional involvement:-

The strike price negotiated by the government will be much lower than the lagoon company ask for. The first parts of the project to be scrapped will be the tourist / recreation bit, which was total fabrication anyway. Swansea Bay will be left with a potentially lifeless bay, a rubbish view, flooding along Mumbles road and a huge tidal puddle that generates much less power (for the national grid) than is predicted.

There is another thread on this, and I'm not hiding the fact that I desperately hope this does not go ahead.

If anyone wants me to ask any specific questions,I''m happy to answer.
Swansea Tidal Lagoon receives Government Backing on 10:36 - Dec 4 with 3788 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Swansea Tidal Lagoon receives Government Backing on 09:09 - Dec 4 by Scotia

Unfortunately there is far more evidence about harm that this will do than any potetntial improvements. It's all in the public domain on the planning inspectorate website, it just hasn't been jumped on by local media and most politicians because of the emphasis on the farcical tourist benfits that TLSB has promoted.

What I think will happen, based on 3 years professional involvement:-

The strike price negotiated by the government will be much lower than the lagoon company ask for. The first parts of the project to be scrapped will be the tourist / recreation bit, which was total fabrication anyway. Swansea Bay will be left with a potentially lifeless bay, a rubbish view, flooding along Mumbles road and a huge tidal puddle that generates much less power (for the national grid) than is predicted.

There is another thread on this, and I'm not hiding the fact that I desperately hope this does not go ahead.

If anyone wants me to ask any specific questions,I''m happy to answer.

Interesting stuff. I imagine the government doesn't want to upset the fossil fuel industry too much so comes up with useless half baked white elephants for the public to endure. Fracking in the bay next!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024