Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Aberdare Athletics (circa 1920's) 22:56 - Jan 26 with 5797 viewsphact0rri

So I'm working on a comics project, that is inpart an alternate footballing history, and am looking at centering it around the old Aberdare Athletics FC. And where I've got lots of things to help out, one thing I'm not able to find is the nickname (if there even was one ) attributed to the club.

And thought I'd throw this up on here, for any football historians who might know if there was one. Obviously I can invent one, but I want to respect the club as it was, as much as possible. So any help be it answers or books to look at or what would be appreciated.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Aberdare Athletics (circa 1920's) on 23:48 - Jan 26 with 5776 viewsSwanjaxs

Your out of luck mate, T2C got banned last week

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Aberdare Athletics (circa 1920's) on 23:59 - Jan 26 with 5768 viewstrampie

I take it you mean Aberdare Athletic fc ? [did the double over the Swans and finished above the Swans their first season in the league].

I have seen them described as 'The Latics'.

I think their cricket and rugby teams are called 'snakes', I wouldn't go there calling them that as a nickname unless you are an Aberdare person mind you.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2015 0:15]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Aberdare Athletics (circa 1920's) on 00:08 - Jan 27 with 5762 viewsdameedna

In 1921, Aberdare did the double over Swansea and finished above Swansea, Merthyr and Newport.

The history is liked between Aberaman and Aberdare.

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/aberdaretownfc/#

Not sure about a nickname

Contact the club
Aberdare Athletics (circa 1920's) on 01:59 - Jan 27 with 5738 viewsphact0rri

The Latics sounds like its the way to go if I can't get an answer. I'll contact the club. Good doing it the right way with Aberdare's current club. And maybe they can also suggest other reference material, and such.

Cheers on all the help!

Aberdare Athletics (circa 1920's) on 08:28 - Jan 27 with 5705 viewsNOTRAC

Aberdare were known as the Darians.
They played at Ynys Park in Aberdare and played in the Football League from Sept 2001 until May 2007.
They played in the Third Division (south) of the Football League and finished eighth in their first season .
This was the highest position they achieved, and in their last season they finished seven points adrift at the bottom from their nearest rivals conceding 101 goals in the process.
They were then voted out of the League in favour of Torquay United.

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

Aberdare Athletics (circa 1920's) on 08:45 - Jan 27 with 5682 viewstrampie

I found one source saying 'latics' last night but there seems to be more sauces saying 'Darians', as NOTRAC mentions.

Perhaps you should go with 'Darians', phact0rri ?, but there again somebody in the club should know ?, shouldnt they ?
[Post edited 27 Jan 2015 8:48]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Aberdare Athletics (circa 1920's) on 08:59 - Jan 27 with 5668 viewsDarran

Aberdare Athletics (circa 1920's) on 08:28 - Jan 27 by NOTRAC

Aberdare were known as the Darians.
They played at Ynys Park in Aberdare and played in the Football League from Sept 2001 until May 2007.
They played in the Third Division (south) of the Football League and finished eighth in their first season .
This was the highest position they achieved, and in their last season they finished seven points adrift at the bottom from their nearest rivals conceding 101 goals in the process.
They were then voted out of the League in favour of Torquay United.

Sept 2001 untill May 2007 ?????

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Aberdare Athletics (circa 1920's) on 09:38 - Jan 27 with 5647 viewsNOTRAC

Aberdare Athletics (circa 1920's) on 08:59 - Jan 27 by Darran

Sept 2001 untill May 2007 ?????

God ,old age is terrible.Thankyou Darren
1921to1927

Login to get fewer ads

Aberdare Athletics (circa 1920's) on 09:42 - Jan 27 with 5644 viewsphact0rri

Aberdare Athletics (circa 1920's) on 08:45 - Jan 27 by trampie

I found one source saying 'latics' last night but there seems to be more sauces saying 'Darians', as NOTRAC mentions.

Perhaps you should go with 'Darians', phact0rri ?, but there again somebody in the club should know ?, shouldnt they ?
[Post edited 27 Jan 2015 8:48]

Darians does sound like a fun nickname. My best on fabricating one was the "Daredevils" :) so it does sound close in that regard.

However the 2007 bit is where it gets a little confused. I know this particular club had a lot of splits in their history as Athletic, then with Aberaman and all this. I think they split around world war one the second team joining up with Aberaman, then there was a second split around 1947 or abouts.

To help out my revisionist history is saying that they didn't fail their reelection in the '27 as a way to make it a bit simpler as far as the history goes.

I'm actually not tied to Aberdare Atheltic but they fit in that I know the area well enough, they could easily be in the English FA if they hadn't folded initially. But because I am wanting to use a club with history, I want to appreciate the club and the town. Even though I'm sort of mumbling it up some.

I'm going to write up a pleasant email to the club and see what information I can gain and also if there is any problem with me using the historical club they will probably let me know on a simple inquiry. As I don't want to step on any toes. I can just as easy go full 100% fiction. But I love history and football, and both of them together tends to be something I can really find myself enjoying immensely.

Aberdare Athletics (circa 1920's) on 09:45 - Jan 27 with 5642 viewsphact0rri

Aberdare Athletics (circa 1920's) on 09:38 - Jan 27 by NOTRAC

God ,old age is terrible.Thankyou Darren
1921to1927

I wrote my last post before you posted the revision NOTRAC! But all of it does still stand. As Aberdare does have a fractured history-- so it could get really confusing. Which why I'm saying I'm not bothering with it all that much.

Aberdare Athletics (circa 1920's) on 09:46 - Jan 27 with 5638 viewsdickythorpe

Is where AFC Llwydcoed play where this Aberdare team once played.
Aberdare Athletics (circa 1920's) on 09:50 - Jan 27 with 5635 viewsphact0rri

Aberdare Athletics (circa 1920's) on 09:46 - Jan 27 by dickythorpe

No they played at the Ynys Stadium (Athletics ground). The grounds closed after the club folded and leisure centre is there now. It was a pretty basic affair, as many were back in the pre World War era.

Aberdare Athletics (circa 1920's) on 09:51 - Jan 27 with 5633 viewsdickythorpe

Is the Red Cow still open?

Plus why the nickname "snakes"?
Aberdare Athletics (circa 1920's) on 10:06 - Jan 27 with 5622 viewsphact0rri

Aberdare Athletics (circa 1920's) on 09:51 - Jan 27 by dickythorpe

Is the Red Cow still open?

Plus why the nickname "snakes"?

New Owners at the Red Cow I believe but still serving.

As to the Snakes. I think its more akin to the "Jacks" where its a nickname of the citizenry of Aberdare more so than afixed to the club for other reasons. And as far as I can tell it had to do with after the post war boon and the factory jobs were drying up a lot of Aberdarians would travel down the road and take jobs in other towns while still living in Aberdare.

Aberdare Athletics (circa 1920's) on 11:07 - Jan 27 with 5601 viewsNOTRAC

Aberdare Athletics (circa 1920's) on 09:46 - Jan 27 by dickythorpe

No.I think the Michael Sobell sports centre was built on Ynys Park, so there is nothing left now.
The history of Aberdare is something like this'
Originally one of the first clubs in South Wales .Around the 1900 mark got to Welsh Cup final but this club folded before the first world war.
New club Aberdare Athletic started around 1920.It was a shock when this club were voted into the FootballLeague same time approx. as Merthyr Town. It had been expected that Pontypridd would have been the other Welsh club, but Aberdare had the better financial backing at the time,
In the second world war regional football was introduced. Aberaman,near Aberdare was one of the teams together with Swansea, Cardiff etc.There was little restriction on players during this period as most were fighting in the war, and played if on leave near the area regardless of which club they had previously played for.
I believe that Aberdare as a club did not exist again until relatively recently when Aberaman (not the same club as played in the war) changed their name to Aberdare

Aberdare Athletics (circa 1920's) on 11:26 - Jan 27 with 5588 viewstrampie

Aberdare Athletics (circa 1920's) on 10:06 - Jan 27 by phact0rri

As to the Snakes. I think its more akin to the "Jacks" where its a nickname of the citizenry of Aberdare more so than afixed to the club for other reasons. And as far as I can tell it had to do with after the post war boon and the factory jobs were drying up a lot of Aberdarians would travel down the road and take jobs in other towns while still living in Aberdare.

Gangster rap and a section of Spurs fans spring to mind.

Aberdare Athletics (circa 1920's) on 11:42 - Jan 27 with 5575 viewsDarran

Aberdare Athletics (circa 1920's) on 10:06 - Jan 27 by phact0rri

Snakes is probably right there's a few of them up there.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024