Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Greg Dyke 04:22 - Mar 24 with 4844 viewsJethroJack

Isn't his proposal to restrict foreign player influx into the Premier League to make it easier for English youngsters to make the grade at odds with the Bosman Ruling of freedom of movement in football?

Also, isn't he overlooking the main point that, if English youngsters were good enough & better than their foreign counterparts, they'd make the grade irrespective of the level of foreign player influx?
Greg Dyke on 05:53 - Mar 24 with 3795 viewsjackportis

And they say kick racism into touch. Yet the boss wants to do this. Disgraceful. Should b sacked. Garth crooks should have this job

Jackportis the brand. “A gifted poster”, “planet swans have a real talent on their hands in the name of Jackportis” sky sports 2018. . JP fully supports posters of LBG, mx orientation and ethnic minority groups. Update - now fully supporting the pansexual community.

Greg Dyke on 09:22 - Mar 24 with 3713 viewsjackal

It's the foreign players who make the Prem so good.
Limiting the number of foreigners would ruin it.
Greg Dyke on 09:35 - Mar 24 with 3694 viewsDr_Winston

All restricting foreign players will do is make it easier for mediocre British ones to play at higher levels, and make the PL teams even worse in comparison to their continental counterparts.

There needs to be a radical rethink on how clubs in this country develop young players, with additional emphasis on training their minds as well as their feet. Clubs offering youngsters their first pro deal should also be obligated to support them through academic qualifications too.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Greg Dyke on 10:04 - Mar 24 with 3654 viewsLeonisGod

we seem to do ok with a high percentage of Home nation players. We meet the target of 12 in the squad already.

Tayls
Ash
Batley
Kyle
Cork
JJS
King
Fulton
Leon
Carrol
Routs
Nath
Grimes
???

I'd be p1ssed off if it meant we couldn't have Federico or Montero though.
Greg Dyke on 10:44 - Mar 24 with 3608 viewsfbreath

From what I heard they will not be able to do anything about European players.

The home office are also going to make it more difficult for non europeans to get work permits so this would cut down on players from Argentina, Brazil etc

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

Greg Dyke on 10:58 - Mar 24 with 3589 viewsScoobyWho

Greg Dyke on 09:22 - Mar 24 by jackal

It's the foreign players who make the Prem so good.
Limiting the number of foreigners would ruin it.

He wants to return to a time when English football was great, I Agree it seems the seventies for club football was excellent from what we see on the tv. Great players like Marsh, Osgood, McDonald, Bowles etc ...

Oh, and a time when his beloved England failed to qualify for a World Cup !
[Post edited 24 Mar 2015 10:59]

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Greg Dyke on 11:45 - Mar 24 with 3558 viewsmonmouth

Greg Dyke on 09:35 - Mar 24 by Dr_Winston

All restricting foreign players will do is make it easier for mediocre British ones to play at higher levels, and make the PL teams even worse in comparison to their continental counterparts.

There needs to be a radical rethink on how clubs in this country develop young players, with additional emphasis on training their minds as well as their feet. Clubs offering youngsters their first pro deal should also be obligated to support them through academic qualifications too.

Absolutely 100% this. British players generally end up with no brain in their head or feet.

Restrict foreign players you get the wages for mediocrity going through the roof and an uncompetitive product. See Welsh rugby. Dyke is the usual civil service 'high flyer' type useless turd who will make a lot of noise and solve nothing before going onto his next role and achieving nothing there. File under Adam Crozier, Roger lewis etc etc.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Greg Dyke on 11:54 - Mar 24 with 3545 viewsC_jack

One point of his I can understand is that there are mediocre foreign players that are playing, who are no better than the English players they are playing ahead of.

It's about cutting the mediocrity really, like the Itay Shechters of this world.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Login to get fewer ads

Greg Dyke on 12:29 - Mar 24 with 3504 viewskarnataka

Greg Dyke? Sure it wasn't Nigel Farage who said that? Or another if his idiots caught on video.
Greg Dyke on 12:48 - Mar 24 with 3478 viewsMusical_Swan

Greg Dyke on 11:54 - Mar 24 by C_jack

One point of his I can understand is that there are mediocre foreign players that are playing, who are no better than the English players they are playing ahead of.

It's about cutting the mediocrity really, like the Itay Shechters of this world.

Surely this is due to over inflated prices on home grown talent. I mean why buy Tom Ince when you can get Jeff for a fraction of the price?

Huw Jenkins... Nuff said!
Poll: On the whole, are the board doing a good job with our club?

Greg Dyke on 13:06 - Mar 24 with 3454 viewssherpajacob

Legally they can only restrict non EU players (unless ukip get in)

But as usual with English football, this is treating the symptoms and not the cause, which is that young foreign players are more skilled than most of their English counterparts, because they are taught the basics rather than being shouted at to hoof it at an early age.

Hopefully there is a generation of young welsh/ swansea kids following our model of how to play.

We've had many English players over recent years who've shown with the right coaching and playing "on the floor" football are very skillfull. Then they move to another club where they chase long balls down channels and suddenly they don't look so good.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Greg Dyke on 13:14 - Mar 24 with 3440 viewsMusical_Swan

Greg Dyke on 13:06 - Mar 24 by sherpajacob

But as usual with English football, this is treating the symptoms and not the cause, which is that young foreign players are more skilled than most of their English counterparts, because they are taught the basics rather than being shouted at to hoof it at an early age.

Hopefully there is a generation of young welsh/ swansea kids following our model of how to play.

We've had many English players over recent years who've shown with the right coaching and playing "on the floor" football are very skillfull. Then they move to another club where they chase long balls down channels and suddenly they don't look so good.

This goes back to the discussion over whether 'kids' should be trained to win or enjoy the game.

I believe from reading previous posters opinions, that we are very much in the 'enjoy' camp. I hope this is the case because it allows players to express themselves without fear of repraisal and progress naturally.

Greg Dyke on 13:20 - Mar 24 with 3433 viewssherpajacob

Greg Dyke on 13:14 - Mar 24 by Musical_Swan

This goes back to the discussion over whether 'kids' should be trained to win or enjoy the game.

I believe from reading previous posters opinions, that we are very much in the 'enjoy' camp. I hope this is the case because it allows players to express themselves without fear of repraisal and progress naturally.

My little boy plays under 6 football and without doubt the emphasis is on enjoyment, balls skills and teamwork.
The play in little round robin tournaments and they are happy playing whether they win or lose.
Unfortunately some adults are not so happy when their sons team loses.

Trevor Brookings tried to change this culture within the FA but was shouted down.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Greg Dyke on 13:28 - Mar 24 with 3418 viewskarnataka

Yes, there are plenty of mediocre overseas players in the league but many have been signed because they are cheaper to buy and pay than the equivalent homegrown player. The majority of league clubs have to make the best of what little dosh they've got and if that means getting a player for nothing from somewhere like Estonia or the Portuguese 2nd division or wherever, then they have absolutely no choice other than to do that rather than buy an equivalent player from L1 or L2 and probably have to pay him more too. A fair percentage of foreign players see the EPL as the land of milk and honey and will take a punt on joining a lower league team for peanuts in the hope that they can do well and end up in the Prem after a couple of seasons.

I don't see how Dyke can possibly change the realities of non-Prem club finances whatever his intentions.
Greg Dyke on 13:29 - Mar 24 with 3417 viewsMusical_Swan

Greg Dyke on 13:20 - Mar 24 by sherpajacob

My little boy plays under 6 football and without doubt the emphasis is on enjoyment, balls skills and teamwork.
The play in little round robin tournaments and they are happy playing whether they win or lose.
Unfortunately some adults are not so happy when their sons team loses.

Trevor Brookings tried to change this culture within the FA but was shouted down.

Landore and Ferry? Used to watch my nephew play down there last season. Had Ray Pennock and Andrew Dyer as managers many moons ago (assuming their still involved in the set up,) good coaches and very much about development.

Unfortunately there's always an element who live their sporting frustrations through their children.

I'm a big fan of Trev, and was rooting for him. It seems that society in general is so desperate for 'wins' that we sometimes forget that the journey is often more important than the destination.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2015 13:33]

Greg Dyke on 13:48 - Mar 24 with 3385 viewsDewi1jack

Greg Dyke on 10:04 - Mar 24 by LeonisGod

we seem to do ok with a high percentage of Home nation players. We meet the target of 12 in the squad already.

Tayls
Ash
Batley
Kyle
Cork
JJS
King
Fulton
Leon
Carrol
Routs
Nath
Grimes
???

I'd be p1ssed off if it meant we couldn't have Federico or Montero though.

Sorry mate,
Jocks (Fulton, King) don't class as home grown and are foreigners for us.
Dyke's just making noise unless he thinks that the UK will stand up to the EU and tell them to shove their freedom of goods and workers legislation.
As the good Dr W states, clubs need to be made more accountable in the way they coach youngsters (and school them, for those who don't make the grade/ need a career after injury/ retirement etc)
I seem to remember that Chelsea (guessing other big clubs follow a similar pattern) have over 300 (or could have been 500) of the most promising sprogs in their academy.
With those sort of numbers, how much proper coaching/ teaching are they getting?
What's the chances of even 50% making the breakthrough to the PL?
But then again, the parents should have signed them for us or Crewe or another club where they would have been allowed to develop/ get a bit more individual coaching, than just go for the big name (stars in their eyes syndrome? Or just unreal expectations?)
Not really fair just to blame the clubs.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Greg Dyke on 15:43 - Mar 24 with 3319 viewsAustinIsOurHero

Surely this is down to a clubs scouting network.

There's no way dross like him, Vasquez etc should be gaining a contract with a Premier League club, regardless of their nationality.

Poll: How many points will be get from the next two games?

Greg Dyke on 16:01 - Mar 24 with 3301 viewsC_jack

Greg Dyke on 15:43 - Mar 24 by AustinIsOurHero

Surely this is down to a clubs scouting network.

There's no way dross like him, Vasquez etc should be gaining a contract with a Premier League club, regardless of their nationality.

It's about money. Players like Shechter and Vasquez would take peanuts to come play in the premier league, where as their British equivalent or better would demand more, as they know they've got more options.

IMO, the only way to get more youngsters through the system and playing is to offer clubs a substantial financial incentive for doing so.

If Greg Dyke offered PL Clubs 500k for every player they bring though their academy system, the problem would be gone over night.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2015 16:01]

Greg Dyke on 16:07 - Mar 24 with 3292 viewsLeonisGod

Greg Dyke on 13:06 - Mar 24 by sherpajacob

Undoubtedly this has a lot to do with it. My own (albeit limited) experiences of youth football mirror this. There are exceptions of course, but also a lot of 'dinosaurs' around who still highly rate player size and winning at all cost. When you hear how they treat youngsters on the continent playing shorter and smaller forms of the game it makes you wonder why we can't be progressive enough to change.
Greg Dyke on 16:08 - Mar 24 with 3289 viewsDafyddHuw

Greg Dyke on 12:29 - Mar 24 by karnataka

Greg Dyke? Sure it wasn't Nigel Farage who said that? Or another if his idiots caught on video.

Ever seen Greg Dyke and Nigel Farage in the same room at the same time? Thought not. There's a reason for that...
Greg Dyke on 16:11 - Mar 24 with 3284 viewsAustinIsOurHero

France, Spain, Germany have all overhauled their youth set up within the last 20 years - look at the benefits.

It really doesn't take a visionary to see England are light years behind in their development of youth players and always will be until they prioritise technique ahead of size & strength.

Greg Dyke on 16:20 - Mar 24 with 3275 viewsC_jack

Greg Dyke on 16:11 - Mar 24 by AustinIsOurHero

France, Spain, Germany have all overhauled their youth set up within the last 20 years - look at the benefits.

It really doesn't take a visionary to see England are light years behind in their development of youth players and always will be until they prioritise technique ahead of size & strength.

The thing is with those countries, it took them to reach rock bottom to realise things had to change.

France truly awful for much of the 90's,

Germany had a disastrous showing at Euro 2000

Spain never really a serious contender at International level up until 2008

England always get to tournaments in one guise or another, and so there's an general sense of false security that 'things can't really be that bad', as they're always competing.

Change is in effect but for me it's with a hesitancy from those with influence. They really pride the 'English way'. It will take them reaching the bottom to really shake it up, the way it's needed.

Greg Dyke on 16:37 - Mar 24 with 3260 viewsRyan

Why do England feel they should be blessed with a great national team? They've been average for years. They've won one world cup with a dodgy lineup.. If the english players are good enough, they will get there chance..

Loughor Jack
Poll: Who was better in their first season?

Greg Dyke on 16:47 - Mar 24 with 3245 viewsAustinIsOurHero

Greg Dyke on 16:20 - Mar 24 by C_jack

The thing is with those countries, it took them to reach rock bottom to realise things had to change.

France truly awful for much of the 90's,

Germany had a disastrous showing at Euro 2000

Spain never really a serious contender at International level up until 2008

England always get to tournaments in one guise or another, and so there's an general sense of false security that 'things can't really be that bad', as they're always competing.

Change is in effect but for me it's with a hesitancy from those with influence. They really pride the 'English way'. It will take them reaching the bottom to really shake it up, the way it's needed.

I agree, this should have been when they failed to qualify for Euro 2008, with McClaren dubbed 'Wally with the Brolly' or either of their awful showings at the last 2 World Cups.

Greg Dyke on 17:47 - Mar 24 with 3200 viewsStarsky

Greg Dyke on 05:53 - Mar 24 by jackportis

And they say kick racism into touch. Yet the boss wants to do this. Disgraceful. Should b sacked. Garth crooks should have this job

I wouldn't give Garth Crooks any job that involved him speaking wildly into a microphone

It's just the internet, init.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024