Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head 14:43 - Apr 9 with 18513 viewsC_jack

I kid you not

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/8203-DVLA-tells-dad-colander-head-drivin

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 19:31 - Apr 9 with 2261 viewsLeonisGod

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 19:20 - Apr 9 by EvenThisNameIsTaken

Matter of principle really and I'm fully in support of the guy.

If others are allowed to wear headgear and cover their faces for 'religious reasons' then why can't this guy? I'm sick of the double standards shown in this country!

Indeed. He's probably even HOLEier than followers of mainstream religions.
Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 20:24 - Apr 9 with 2228 viewsskippyjack

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 19:31 - Apr 9 by LeonisGod

Indeed. He's probably even HOLEier than followers of mainstream religions.

You don't even deserve to grab your coat after that

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 20:44 - Apr 9 with 2213 viewsdailew

It's not a proper religion.

No-one has been killed in it's name yet.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 20:46 - Apr 9 with 2210 viewswaynekerr55

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 20:44 - Apr 9 by dailew

Would you kill a man walking around wearing a colander on his head Dai?🔫🔫🔫🔫🔪🔪🔪💣

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 21:00 - Apr 9 with 2198 viewsLeonisGod

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 20:24 - Apr 9 by skippyjack

You don't even deserve to grab your coat after that

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 21:03 - Apr 9 with 2195 viewsThursday

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 18:01 - Apr 9 by londonlisa2001

The reason I ask, is that I cannot believe that in a country where marriage is supposedly so sacrosanct that half of the population believe that 2 men or 2 women shouldn't be able to get married as it 'damages the institution' and, indeed, in many States, 2 men or 2 women still cannot legally get married for the same reason, someone from a 'church of the flying spaghetti monster' which has some sort of 'religious' attire involving wearing a colander on their head is LEGALLY able to marry two people !

Wow - just wow !

Not a dig at you by the way - you are obviously not a supporter of the religious right !

That's reading into it a little much. Anyone at all can be ordained online almost instantaneously and at little to no cost. It doesn't bestow any real privilege outside of what boils down to being able to file paperwork (in nearly every state). I'm not knocking it, but it's not exclusive by any definition, and nothing to do with the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Same sex marriage is legal in about three quarters of the States (inc. DC), and that also breaks down surprisingly neatly to the same percentage of the population living in a legal state. Where it's not legal, there are some appeals pending or it is legal in certain counties. It's becoming a race to not be the last standing backwards state, though some of states don't even know they're running.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2015 21:17]
Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 21:30 - Apr 9 with 2166 viewsUltraAmericanJack

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 21:03 - Apr 9 by Thursday

That's reading into it a little much. Anyone at all can be ordained online almost instantaneously and at little to no cost. It doesn't bestow any real privilege outside of what boils down to being able to file paperwork (in nearly every state). I'm not knocking it, but it's not exclusive by any definition, and nothing to do with the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Same sex marriage is legal in about three quarters of the States (inc. DC), and that also breaks down surprisingly neatly to the same percentage of the population living in a legal state. Where it's not legal, there are some appeals pending or it is legal in certain counties. It's becoming a race to not be the last standing backwards state, though some of states don't even know they're running.

That's a good point. The ability to perform marriages can be granted to anyone who files the proper paperwork. When my wife and I got married, we had a Wiccan priestess who was also a Christian minister perform the wedding and marry us. My wife, who has the same twisted sense of humor as I do, only chose a Wiccan because we thought it would be funny to see how some of our more religious family members would react. Neither of us really cared one way or another, but secretly did it just for the laughs.
Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 21:32 - Apr 9 with 2161 viewsdgt73

Governments can pass whatever laws they like.....but for me marriage is between a man and a woman and nothing will change my mind on that.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2015 9:16]

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Login to get fewer ads

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 21:53 - Apr 9 with 2139 viewsEvenThisNameIsTaken

The Church of the Flying Spaghetti monster isn't a real religion as some people believe. It's pushed as one purely to make a point. There is as much evidence to support the existence of an all powerful being made entirely of spaghetti and meatballs, as there is of a god (any god).

So if our lives are affected by religion, whether we believe in it or not, why not press this to prove a point. Why should we all just sit aside and let other people's beliefs be forced down your throat in fear of offending in some way? iT'S MORE OF AN OFFENCE TO DO NOTHING.

By refusing the photo, DVLA are proving the double standards we are forced to live within.

Poll: Goal 2 - scored by who?

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 21:58 - Apr 9 with 2130 viewslondonlisa2001

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 21:32 - Apr 9 by dgt73

Governments can pass whatever laws they like.....but for me marriage is between a man and a woman and nothing will change my mind on that.

How surprising!!

But for the hell of it, why is it?
Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 22:11 - Apr 9 with 2113 viewsWarwickHunt

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 20:44 - Apr 9 by dailew

Stick to down-arrowing until you can use the possessive pronoun without f*cking up.

Dull boy.
Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 22:14 - Apr 9 with 2110 viewsLeonisGod

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 21:58 - Apr 9 by londonlisa2001

How surprising!!

Isn't that fairly obvious? Marriage as known in our society was introduced by the church as a means by which a man and woman were joined together under the eyes of God. Whether or not anyone believes in marriage, in god, or in the make-up of the parties involved is irrelevant to this fact (assuming it is a fact and I've got that right).

I can see why some people oppose same sex marriage if they have strong religious convictions (although dgt doesn't strike me as the type).

I'm not saying I approve or not, but marriage is clearly evolving into something it didn't used to be. Some people don't like change.
(No subject) (n/t) on 22:15 - Apr 9 with 2110 viewslondonlisa2001

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 21:32 - Apr 9 by dgt73

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 22:16 - Apr 9 with 2104 viewswaynekerr55

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 22:11 - Apr 9 by WarwickHunt

Stick to down-arrowing until you can use the possessive pronoun without f*cking up.

Dull boy.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 22:17 - Apr 9 with 2103 viewsWarwickHunt

"I support gay marriage. I believe they have a right to be as miserable as the rest of us."
Kinky Friedman
Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 22:31 - Apr 9 with 2003 viewsThursday

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 21:58 - Apr 9 by londonlisa2001

How surprising!!

That he says it is between "a man and a women" answers your question.
Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 22:32 - Apr 9 with 2000 viewsThursday

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 21:30 - Apr 9 by UltraAmericanJack

That's a good point. The ability to perform marriages can be granted to anyone who files the proper paperwork. When my wife and I got married, we had a Wiccan priestess who was also a Christian minister perform the wedding and marry us. My wife, who has the same twisted sense of humor as I do, only chose a Wiccan because we thought it would be funny to see how some of our more religious family members would react. Neither of us really cared one way or another, but secretly did it just for the laughs.

I've thought about it myself a few times, just haven't done it.
Sorry, I would have been friendlier, but I didn't see the 'Ultra' was marathon-related until after I posted.
Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 22:50 - Apr 9 with 1983 viewslondonlisa2001

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 22:14 - Apr 9 by LeonisGod

Isn't that fairly obvious? Marriage as known in our society was introduced by the church as a means by which a man and woman were joined together under the eyes of God. Whether or not anyone believes in marriage, in god, or in the make-up of the parties involved is irrelevant to this fact (assuming it is a fact and I've got that right).

I can see why some people oppose same sex marriage if they have strong religious convictions (although dgt doesn't strike me as the type).

I'm not saying I approve or not, but marriage is clearly evolving into something it didn't used to be. Some people don't like change.

No it wasn't.

The church in our society (by which I assume you mean the Christian church) only recognised marriage in the 12th century and it only became a religious issue under the Council of Trent in the 16th century.

People have been getting 'married' in various forms for centuries before that (including same sex marriages which were practiced in Ancient Greece for example). There are a number of religions (Buddhism for example) where marriage is a matter for the state alone, with no religious element. Others (including some Moslems) believe that marriage can be between a man and several women.

Ignoring the Church, marriage is a legal construct, to do with sharing or property / rights and so on. Hence why a civil marriage with no church involvement has the same level of recognition as a 'church' wedding. The future Head of the Church in this country has a marriage which is purely legal due to his wife's previous marriage. (Charles that is).

If you are talking about Biblical matters rather than the 'Church' and religious objections on account of the Bible, then there are any number of activities which are perfectly legal, ordinary, common and fully accepted in our society which are frowned upon by the Bible.

Some people are bigots that use religion as an excuse for their bigotry. And you're right about the change bit - it was only in the 1960s that some states in the US were forced to allow whites and blacks to marry each other. A imagine a lot of people also didn't like that.
Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 22:52 - Apr 9 with 1980 viewsLeonisGod

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 19:28 - Apr 9 by UltraAmericanJack

Yeah, I can't wait to move there. I run ultramarathons (usually 50 to 100 mile races) and Colorado is great for trail running and outdoor activities, and considering most ultras are mountain races it's a perfect fit.

I'd love to see a match in the Premier League. I've been on our American tours, but my last actual match in the UK was a 2-1 loss against Lincoln City...boy how times have changed. LOL

Ultras eh?

I like the thought of being fit enough to do one, but know that romantic idea would have long gone after 20 miles or so. I'll swap you an ultra for a premier league trip if there's ever a chance (hopefully anonymity will keep me safe saying that on here ).
Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 22:57 - Apr 9 with 1978 viewslondonlisa2001

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 21:03 - Apr 9 by Thursday

no - I totally understand that bit and that there are not special rights given to the spaghetti lovers...

I was making a general point about hypocrisy in the US on the subject given the number of times you hear right wing religious fundamentalists talk about the subject.

I also realise that a large number of States have now made it legal - hence why this week, it was reported in the papers over here, I'm pretty certain to the shock of absolutely no one, that Barry Manilow had married his (male) partner of over 30 years.
Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 23:03 - Apr 9 with 1971 viewsLeonisGod

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 22:50 - Apr 9 by londonlisa2001

No it wasn't.

The church in our society (by which I assume you mean the Christian church) only recognised marriage in the 12th century and it only became a religious issue under the Council of Trent in the 16th century.

People have been getting 'married' in various forms for centuries before that (including same sex marriages which were practiced in Ancient Greece for example). There are a number of religions (Buddhism for example) where marriage is a matter for the state alone, with no religious element. Others (including some Moslems) believe that marriage can be between a man and several women.

Ignoring the Church, marriage is a legal construct, to do with sharing or property / rights and so on. Hence why a civil marriage with no church involvement has the same level of recognition as a 'church' wedding. The future Head of the Church in this country has a marriage which is purely legal due to his wife's previous marriage. (Charles that is).

If you are talking about Biblical matters rather than the 'Church' and religious objections on account of the Bible, then there are any number of activities which are perfectly legal, ordinary, common and fully accepted in our society which are frowned upon by the Bible.

Some people are bigots that use religion as an excuse for their bigotry. And you're right about the change bit - it was only in the 1960s that some states in the US were forced to allow whites and blacks to marry each other. A imagine a lot of people also didn't like that.

Ok, I stand (comprehensively ) corrected. I'd assumed marriage in its current form here in the UK was essentially a religious construct given the nature of the vows that are most commonly used, and that non-religious ceremonies were a relatively new thing. Hence the possible reason for rejection of any change by some people.

Couldn't agree more regarding bigotry. There's no reason why people shouldn't be treated the same irrespective of gender, sexuality, colour, etc, etc. We're getting there but it's a long slow journey.
Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 23:14 - Apr 9 with 1962 viewslondonlisa2001

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 23:03 - Apr 9 by LeonisGod

Ok, I stand (comprehensively ) corrected. I'd assumed marriage in its current form here in the UK was essentially a religious construct given the nature of the vows that are most commonly used, and that non-religious ceremonies were a relatively new thing. Hence the possible reason for rejection of any change by some people.

Couldn't agree more regarding bigotry. There's no reason why people shouldn't be treated the same irrespective of gender, sexuality, colour, etc, etc. We're getting there but it's a long slow journey.

the Church has a habit of jumping onto most parts of human existence, putting a set of rules around it that suit the Church and declaring it the will of God ...

I should say that I have absolutely no problem with genuinely good and religious people. I even have a tiny amount of sympathy with genuinely deeply religious people who struggle with issues such as same sex marriage (albeit, I may well point out the hypocrisy of them talking about it while shopping on a Sunday, wearing a pair of jeans and a jumper or similar).

What really gets my goat is people that don't set foot inside a church from one wedding to the next, suddenly declaring themselves anti gay marriage on religious grounds and pretending it's nothing to do with bigotry.
I am not, for the absence of any doubt, putting you in that category in the slightest - I am putting the original poster into that category :-)
Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 07:37 - Apr 10 with 1915 viewsLord_Bony

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 16:19 - Apr 9 by Pegojack

Maybe he's just feeling strained.

I'll get my coat.

There's too many hops in his argument for my liking.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2015 8:12]

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 09:21 - Apr 10 with 1883 viewsdgt73

You don't have to go to a place of worship (church) to be religious. Religion can a personal thing and just because you don't agree with gay marriage doesn't mean you must be some religious zealot.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 10:46 - Apr 10 with 1864 viewsStarsky

Man fights with DVLA to wear colander on his head on 07:37 - Apr 10 by Lord_Bony

There's too many hops in his argument for my liking.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2015 8:12]

Hopes?

It's just the internet, init.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024