Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
27th most valuable club(brand) in the world 16:42 - Jun 8 with 3278 viewsepaul

Absolutely mind boggling, what in all of 12 years!!!

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/swansea-city-above-bun

Swansea City above Bundesliga and Serie A giants as the 27th biggest football brand in world football
15:44, 8 JUNE 2015
BY SIMON GASKELL
Garry Monk's men - a new entry in the list of the top 50 - are even on the coat tails of the likes of Ajax in 25th and 2013/14 Champions League runners-up Atletico Madrid in 23rd
137 Shares
Tweet
+1
LinkedIn

Owen Humphreys/PA Wire Swansea City have enhanced their brand this season
Swansea City are a bigger global football club brand than the likes of Celtic, Olympique de Marseille and AS Roma according to newly-published research.

The Swans' brand value is put at $135m by leading brand valuation and strategy consultancy Brand Finance - making theirs the 27th most-valuable in world football and above a whole host of Serie A and Bundesliga giants.

Garry Monk's men - a new entry in the list of the top 50 - are even on the coat tails of the likes of Ajax in 25th and 2013/14 Champions League runners-up Atletico Madrid in 23rd.

Record broadcasting deal
Premier League sides continue to rise up the list thanks to the financial boost they have had from a record-breaking £5.14bn broadcasting rights deal concluded with Sky and BT back in February.

Meanwhile the Swans also announced the biggest shirt sponsorship deal in the club's history in 2014 after a two-year extension of their partnership with financial services provider Goldenway Global Group (GWFX), which has a strong presence throughout Asia.

That deal is thought to have been in excess of £4m - double the initial deal with GWFX.

Swansea City Home Kit 2015/16 season

VIEW GALLERY
MORE: Swansea City linked with move for Chelsea striker Loic Remy

Above them, Manchester United head Bayern Munich and Real Madrid at the top of the list as world football's biggest brand having smashed through the $1bn mark.

The Red Devils are now worth just over $1.2bn (£787.5m), almost $300m more than second-placed Bayern. Real Madrid, Manchester City and Chelsea round out the top five.

Barcelona's 3-1 Champions League final win over Juventus on Saturday night added $28m to their brand value but the growth of Premier League clubs like Manchester City and Chelsea has pushed them into sixth.

'Stars in the board room'
The report adds that Barcelona actually have the strongest brand of any club with their side packed with superstars like Messi, Neymar and Suarez.

But it says clubs also need stars in the board room to capitalise on that, and this is where the Catalan giants have been outdone by Manchester United, despite a lack of on-field success at Old Trafford.

Reuters / Kai PfaffenbachBarcelona's Luis Suarez, Lionel Messi and Neymar
Brand Finance CEO David Haigh said: “Manchester United’s success has been masterminded by Ed Woodward, the Ronaldo of football’s commercial sphere.

"As Sir Alex Ferguson developed United’s world-beating reputation, Woodward (and United’s owners the Glazers) capitalised on the brand’s growing power to establish a worldwide fan-base and a range of sponsorship deals unrivalled in their number and value.”

United's current shirt deal with Chevrolet (£47 million per year) is worth more than double that with previous partner AON.

Southampton fastest-growing
In 2014 Nike decided to end its longstanding relationship with United, but Adidas will be United's kit provider for the next 10 years in a deal worth £750 million ($1.1 billion). On an annual basis, this is more than triple the £23.5 million ($36 million) per year Nike had been paying.

Elsewhere, Southampton were the fastest growing brand - up 89% to $183 million.

Ronald Koeman masterminded a seventh-placed Premier League finish, meaning a club facing administration in 2009 can look forward to European football next season and the chance to build its own brand on the international stage.

[Post edited 8 Jun 2015 21:01]

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

27th most valuable club in the world on 16:46 - Jun 8 with 3265 viewslondonlisa2001

But wasn't it only a couple of months ago that Wales Online were arguing about whether the Swans or Cardiff were the bigger club?
27th most valuable club in the world on 16:56 - Jun 8 with 3236 viewsSenhin

27th most valuable club in the world on 16:46 - Jun 8 by londonlisa2001

But wasn't it only a couple of months ago that Wales Online were arguing about whether the Swans or Cardiff were the bigger club?

This huge boost in finance to get us up there is probably a result of us now selling shirts in that massive club's catchment area.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

27th most valuable club in the world on 17:16 - Jun 8 with 3174 viewsBadgeman

Add it to the pile of things that Cardiff City fans should shove up their @rses.

The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is reason.
Poll: Is Huw's position untenable?

27th most valuable club in the world on 17:25 - Jun 8 with 3140 viewsDr_Winston

27th most valuable brand, not club.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

27th most valuable club in the world on 17:39 - Jun 8 with 3104 viewslondonlisa2001

27th most valuable club in the world on 17:25 - Jun 8 by Dr_Winston

27th most valuable brand, not club.

By definition, the value of the club will be bigger than the value of the brand owned by the club.
27th most valuable club in the world on 17:45 - Jun 8 with 3087 viewsDr_Winston

27th most valuable club in the world on 17:39 - Jun 8 by londonlisa2001

By definition, the value of the club will be bigger than the value of the brand owned by the club.

Absolutely. There will be clubs with lesser valued brands but a higher overall value.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

27th most valuable club in the world on 17:50 - Jun 8 with 3064 viewslondonlisa2001

27th most valuable club in the world on 17:45 - Jun 8 by Dr_Winston

Absolutely. There will be clubs with lesser valued brands but a higher overall value.

There will, although probably not many. The only other assets of value will be the team and a stadium. Given the way football works, it would be odd if there were many anomalies to the overall order.
27th most valuable club in the world on 20:56 - Jun 8 with 2734 viewslonglostjack

27th most valuable club in the world on 17:50 - Jun 8 by londonlisa2001

There will, although probably not many. The only other assets of value will be the team and a stadium. Given the way football works, it would be odd if there were many anomalies to the overall order.

Great news don't get me wrong - but as a brand I'm surprised that we're above Celtic. I know that they're in the wrong league but a brand's value is surely more complex than just current value.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Login to get fewer ads

27th most valuable club in the world on 23:56 - Jun 8 with 2495 viewssnork44

27th most valuable club in the world on 20:56 - Jun 8 by longlostjack

Great news don't get me wrong - but as a brand I'm surprised that we're above Celtic. I know that they're in the wrong league but a brand's value is surely more complex than just current value.

I am working in a department store in Athens,Georgia and a customer can in and upon hearing my accent asked where I was from and I told him Swansea and the first thing he said to me was"that is where the excellent soccer team is from!" We have an amazing worldwide reputation something our cousins upon the road are green with envy over, let's be proud of our club and city.

Premier Snork now watching from the USA
Poll: What do you prefer on Planet Swans after a game?

27th most valuable club in the world on 01:54 - Jun 9 with 2440 viewsDewi1jack

There will be someone along soon who'll explain Crapduff are bigger because;
1/ They have more empty seats per game than we do,
2/ They're the Capital/ Capitol and therefore automatically deserve the respect from the rest of the known football Universe
3/ They've more debt than us by about 100 - 150 times
4/ They're the Capital/ Capitol
5/ They lost to Real Madrid doncha know
6/ They're the Capital/ Capitol
7/ They won the Cupppppaahhh playing in Black and White (lucky colours Uncle Vinny!!).
8/ They're the Capital/ Capitol
9/ They're bigger than Barcelona (who aren't the Capital of their own country and must therefore be smaller.)
10/ They're the Capital/ Capitol
11/ Wales on Line has made a mistake as our cousins from the Eastern footballing backwater (or puddle) are missing from the list
12/ We had a CVA (they insist we went totally bankrupt. Can't grasp the difference. But then again, most of them have little or no grasp of football/ business reality anyway.)
13/ (and repeat Ad Infinitum,) They're the Capital/Capitol.
Think that's covered all of their arguments to use against us being bigger!

Very, very impressed we came in higher than PSV , Valencia, Lyon, Hamburg and Lazio just to name a few.
We really have come a long way from the days of Mal Streul and our last foray to the top table, Doug Sharpe, Petty, 9th floor etc.
It just keeps surprising me, or maybe astounding is a better word, how the 'ickle ole Swansea I started watching is now on the way up higher than I ever imagined we could go.
When my kids were small, I told them about our time at the top, never imagining we'd ever get back there for them to see it, when Leicester, Leeds, Pompey, Vermin etc were throwing so much cash at solving the problem of promotion and mostly failing.
Big well done to our present board

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

27th most valuable club in the world on 03:03 - Jun 9 with 2422 viewsGlyn1

27th most valuable club in the world on 23:56 - Jun 8 by snork44

I am working in a department store in Athens,Georgia and a customer can in and upon hearing my accent asked where I was from and I told him Swansea and the first thing he said to me was"that is where the excellent soccer team is from!" We have an amazing worldwide reputation something our cousins upon the road are green with envy over, let's be proud of our club and city.

That's an excellent story Snork! (But what on earth is a Swan doing working in a department store in Georgia?)

I work in London and on the last day of the season I had to email a supplier in Cape Town, South Africa. We were casually chatting and he asked me what club I supported, and when I told him he was highly complimentary about us and our style of play. He didn't have to do that, and I don't think he would have done so if I had said Stoke.

For good or bad, reputations are hard to shift. We're benefitting from that, and Stoke are suffering despite their play improving after Pulis's departure. I'm particularly mentioning Stoke because they're a mid-table team that is probably who we should be comparing ourselves against and who are one place higher up in that table.

By the way, my South African supplier supports Liverpool
[Post edited 9 Jun 2015 3:04]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

27th most valuable club in the world on 06:00 - Jun 9 with 2360 viewsEdmundo

They need something to hang onto.....our coat tails as we move away from them in all facets of a well organised proffesional football club👍

Swansea City-Officially the best football team in Wales-FACT

27th most valuable club in the world on 06:59 - Jun 9 with 2324 viewsZut_Alors

27th most valuable club in the world on 03:03 - Jun 9 by Glyn1

That's an excellent story Snork! (But what on earth is a Swan doing working in a department store in Georgia?)

I work in London and on the last day of the season I had to email a supplier in Cape Town, South Africa. We were casually chatting and he asked me what club I supported, and when I told him he was highly complimentary about us and our style of play. He didn't have to do that, and I don't think he would have done so if I had said Stoke.

For good or bad, reputations are hard to shift. We're benefitting from that, and Stoke are suffering despite their play improving after Pulis's departure. I'm particularly mentioning Stoke because they're a mid-table team that is probably who we should be comparing ourselves against and who are one place higher up in that table.

By the way, my South African supplier supports Liverpool
[Post edited 9 Jun 2015 3:04]

I love these sorts of stories. I was in Bagan, Myanmar (Burma), when I got chatting football to a guy trying to sell me a painting. I told him I was a Swansea supporter, and his first words were "Michu!". He went on to list a load of our players, definitely remember De Guzman and Pablo being mentioned. He said liked Rangel too — the story about him feeding the homeless had recently been published.

There were times when people wouldn't know Swansea at all. In fact, even mentioning Wales, you would only get the usual "Ryan Giggs" response. How times change, eh!
27th most valuable club(brand) in the world on 07:53 - Jun 9 with 2276 viewsSwan91

I was in Hong Kong for 6 months and when I would tell people I'm from swansea they would mainly talk about how we beat Man Utd first game of the season! (Must've been a well watched game).

Now I'm in South korea and obviously as soon as I say swansea they talk about Ki seung yeung. Hopefully we get more viewers and potential fans through wins against big teams and keeping the likes of Ki in our squad
27th most valuable club(brand) in the world on 08:40 - Jun 9 with 2222 viewssherpajacob

Yes our stock is certainly rising and long may it continue, but to say we have a more valuable brand than Celtic is simply ridiculous.

Remind me never to pay any attention to anything Brand finance say in the future.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

27th most valuable club(brand) in the world on 09:00 - Jun 9 with 2198 viewsPegojack

An interesting story, and hard not to feel just a little pride (just a little, because we all know what pride comes before).

However, what it does highlight is the absurd fact that our stadium capacity is still only around 20.5k.
27th most valuable club(brand) in the world on 09:03 - Jun 9 with 2189 viewsField_Of_Dreams_II

I was in a hotel in Johannesburg last October, I went outside to smoke a cigarette wearing my Swansea top. The bell boy came up to me when he saw me & started going on what a massive Swansea City fan he was & how he has supported us since we were promoted to the championship. The guy’s knowledge was unbelievable, when I asked him how come he didn’t support man utd/Liverpool etc, he simply said we play the best football and he loved how we had risen from the bottom of the league playing proper football. He also posts on a south African Swansea supporters website that he set up & reckons there’s a hundred or so regular contributors to the site.

Absolute madness.

Poll: What would you rather see.....

27th most valuable club(brand) in the world on 10:05 - Jun 10 with 1905 viewsphact0rri

27th most valuable club(brand) in the world on 09:00 - Jun 9 by Pegojack

An interesting story, and hard not to feel just a little pride (just a little, because we all know what pride comes before).

However, what it does highlight is the absurd fact that our stadium capacity is still only around 20.5k.

how crazy it is the swans have such little retail presence, outside of the UK (and Den Haag/Korea). I still pine for the days when I don't have to shop around on ebay to avoid the crazy post markup ordering Swans Swag.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

27th most valuable club in the world on 10:27 - Jun 10 with 1888 viewsProfessor

27th most valuable club in the world on 01:54 - Jun 9 by Dewi1jack

There will be someone along soon who'll explain Crapduff are bigger because;
1/ They have more empty seats per game than we do,
2/ They're the Capital/ Capitol and therefore automatically deserve the respect from the rest of the known football Universe
3/ They've more debt than us by about 100 - 150 times
4/ They're the Capital/ Capitol
5/ They lost to Real Madrid doncha know
6/ They're the Capital/ Capitol
7/ They won the Cupppppaahhh playing in Black and White (lucky colours Uncle Vinny!!).
8/ They're the Capital/ Capitol
9/ They're bigger than Barcelona (who aren't the Capital of their own country and must therefore be smaller.)
10/ They're the Capital/ Capitol
11/ Wales on Line has made a mistake as our cousins from the Eastern footballing backwater (or puddle) are missing from the list
12/ We had a CVA (they insist we went totally bankrupt. Can't grasp the difference. But then again, most of them have little or no grasp of football/ business reality anyway.)
13/ (and repeat Ad Infinitum,) They're the Capital/Capitol.
Think that's covered all of their arguments to use against us being bigger!

Very, very impressed we came in higher than PSV , Valencia, Lyon, Hamburg and Lazio just to name a few.
We really have come a long way from the days of Mal Streul and our last foray to the top table, Doug Sharpe, Petty, 9th floor etc.
It just keeps surprising me, or maybe astounding is a better word, how the 'ickle ole Swansea I started watching is now on the way up higher than I ever imagined we could go.
When my kids were small, I told them about our time at the top, never imagining we'd ever get back there for them to see it, when Leicester, Leeds, Pompey, Vermin etc were throwing so much cash at solving the problem of promotion and mostly failing.
Big well done to our present board

Since according to David Conn we have money(around 4Million) in the bank (before the Bony transfer) Cardiff are not 100 times more in debt than us-it is a mathematical impossibility. They have well over 100 million GBP less than we have, though have a saleable asset in Legoland if you don't include players. Many Catalans consider themselves to not be part of spain, so Barcelona and Cardiff can be considered regional capitals, though of course London and MAdrid are the places where real decisions are made. Comparing the clubs is ridiculous and will forever be a point of hilarity. Cardiff is a small attractive city, Barcelona a large attractive city. If

Pedantic I know-but another couple of seasons of the status quo and it will be unlikely that Cardiff will ever be as successful as we are. We have to continue onwards and upwards.
27th most valuable club(brand) in the world on 11:48 - Jun 10 with 1842 viewsmonmouth

27th most valuable club(brand) in the world on 08:40 - Jun 9 by sherpajacob

Yes our stock is certainly rising and long may it continue, but to say we have a more valuable brand than Celtic is simply ridiculous.

Remind me never to pay any attention to anything Brand finance say in the future.

A few months ago, some random yanks were proposing to pay on a valuation in excess of 100m for our club. Would anyone pay that for Celtic?

Brand value is transient and current. The premier league renders a lot of 'famous' brands currently redundant and consigns them to history.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024