Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
swans sign vickers 14:17 - Aug 12 with 5714 viewsthomasJack

http://www.swanseacity.net/news/article/swans-sign-vickers-2613783.aspx?

Poll: Next signing

swans sign vickers on 23:09 - Aug 12 with 1521 viewsBorojack

swans sign vickers on 22:57 - Aug 12 by SwansNZ

He was offered a 1 year contract, but decided to look elsewhere for a longer term deal. He obviously didn’t find one that suited, and the Swans have been unable to get in a keeper ready for first team action, so this deal suits both parties. I’m really not sure why people can’t work this out, or keep using this to say we need another striker, when we have enough for the one striker role we play.

We wont have enough if Gomis and eder are injured or suspended for any length of time.
Then
we would have to play Emnes who is no Premier League striker or
Ayew out of position and weaken us elsewhere.
No other Premier League team would do that.
Its asking for trouble.

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins be sacked

swans sign vickers on 23:22 - Aug 12 with 1504 viewsSwansNZ

swans sign vickers on 23:09 - Aug 12 by Borojack

We wont have enough if Gomis and eder are injured or suspended for any length of time.
Then
Its asking for trouble.

What if, what if!!! So if another team plays 2 up front, they should have more than 4 PL rated strikers — who has that?

Who do you suggest we buy in that is PL quality? Would they be prepared to be 2nmd or 3rd choice, and how much would they cost?

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

swans sign vickers on 00:33 - Aug 13 with 1476 viewsraynor94

swans sign vickers on 21:48 - Aug 12 by Borojack

We may want to play 2 up front if we are chasing a game if Gomis gets injured and Eder is say out for a spell we would be short I am not suggesting we break the bank but my point is a striker would be more useful than another keeper.

When have we eve played two strikers, the squad we have now can cover any eventuality, btw, who is third choice striker who will be happy gathering splinters?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

swans sign vickers on 07:18 - Aug 13 with 1416 viewsAnotherJohn

swans sign vickers on 00:33 - Aug 13 by raynor94

When have we eve played two strikers, the squad we have now can cover any eventuality, btw, who is third choice striker who will be happy gathering splinters?

It seems that the bench argument applies to strikers but not keepers. Borre was willing to sign, but you'll remember the work permit fell through A young hungry striker would fight for a place. We do play two strikers in most games, but not at the same time.
swans sign vickers on 08:23 - Aug 13 with 1394 viewsraynor94

swans sign vickers on 07:18 - Aug 13 by AnotherJohn

It seems that the bench argument applies to strikers but not keepers. Borre was willing to sign, but you'll remember the work permit fell through A young hungry striker would fight for a place. We do play two strikers in most games, but not at the same time.

Doesn't that kind of negate your point? the keeper situation is different, Gerry is more than happy to be an emergency back up, Emnes is fine in an emergency, and Ayew is versatile

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

swans sign vickers on 09:36 - Aug 13 with 1373 viewsJackSomething

swans sign vickers on 07:18 - Aug 13 by AnotherJohn

The Borre situation shows that the club would like a promising young striker to play in the U21's and be 3rd choice for the first team, but they're not willing to sign just anyone.

I'd be surprised that any Swans fan could complain about that, but then I see people saying we should sign the likes of Charlie Austin (£15m for a backup) or Rickie Lambert (in the twilight of his career) to add depth and I realise it's not that surprising after all.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

swans sign vickers on 11:09 - Aug 14 with 1283 viewsJackSomething

swans sign vickers on 23:09 - Aug 12 by Borojack

Then
Its asking for trouble.

Just going back to this and AnotherJohn's request for an example of another PL team who only have 2 'first team' strikers in their squad:

Man City.

swans sign vickers on 11:44 - Aug 14 with 1258 viewsAnotherJohn

swans sign vickers on 11:09 - Aug 14 by JackSomething

Just going back to this and AnotherJohn's request for an example of another PL team who only have 2 'first team' strikers in their squad:

Man City.

Sounds a bit of a stretch to me, although made more plausible by the loaning out of Jovetic and Dzeko and Negredo being unloaded. Besides Aguero and Bony they still have a few in the hungry young striker mould that I was advocating for our third slot, like Iheanacho (he is in the squad). I'd guess that they will sometimes play Sterling in the centre, as Liverpool did. With their attacking midfielder line-up that won't weaken them elsewhere, as might be the case with Ayew.

Surely in any event Citeh are in an 'in-between' phase and will soon sign somebody else - they had enough strikers last season.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2015 11:50]
Login to get fewer ads

swans sign vickers on 12:09 - Aug 14 with 1239 viewsJackSomething

swans sign vickers on 11:44 - Aug 14 by AnotherJohn

Sounds a bit of a stretch to me, although made more plausible by the loaning out of Jovetic and Dzeko and Negredo being unloaded. Besides Aguero and Bony they still have a few in the hungry young striker mould that I was advocating for our third slot, like Iheanacho (he is in the squad). I'd guess that they will sometimes play Sterling in the centre, as Liverpool did. With their attacking midfielder line-up that won't weaken them elsewhere, as might be the case with Ayew.

Surely in any event Citeh are in an 'in-between' phase and will soon sign somebody else - they had enough strikers last season.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2015 11:50]

Lot of wriggling there, but the bottom line is that Man City have started the season with only 2 first-team strikers in their squad, same as us.

They will almost certainly sign someone else of course, but seeing as they are first/second favourites to win the league, it doesn't make our situation look as dangerous as some are making out.

As I said before, the Borre situation shows the club are interested in a young striker to add to the club, but they won't go for just anyone, which is surely the correct approach.

swans sign vickers on 12:17 - Aug 14 with 1221 viewsAnotherJohn

Well this is the way some Citeh folk see it:

https://www.footballpools.com/news/does-man-city-selling-jovetic-confirm-that-st

It was very much Jovetic out, Sterling in.

To quote from the above article: "Going with Aguero, Sterling and Wilfried Bony as the only three senior strikers is a dangerous strategy, particularly as none of the other forwards can really step into the breach as a false nine."

This is also in line with Brendon's thoughts.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9610834/raheem-sterling-can-play-as

http://en.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/380981.html

Based on your line of argument one might say Michu was not a striker either.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2015 12:24]
swans sign vickers on 12:27 - Aug 14 with 1203 viewsJackSomething

swans sign vickers on 12:17 - Aug 14 by AnotherJohn

Well this is the way some Citeh folk see it:

https://www.footballpools.com/news/does-man-city-selling-jovetic-confirm-that-st

It was very much Jovetic out, Sterling in.

To quote from the above article: "Going with Aguero, Sterling and Wilfried Bony as the only three senior strikers is a dangerous strategy, particularly as none of the other forwards can really step into the breach as a false nine."

This is also in line with Brendon's thoughts.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9610834/raheem-sterling-can-play-as

http://en.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/380981.html

Based on your line of argument one might say Michu was not a striker either.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2015 12:24]

Michu was absolutely not a striker, I've always said so. No doubt his best performances for us were playing off a striker, usually Graham, but even Luke Moore to great effect away to Arsenal.

If Sterling is a striker option for Man City, then Ayew and Emnes are striker options for us.

swans sign vickers on 12:50 - Aug 14 with 1190 viewsDr_Winston

swans sign vickers on 12:27 - Aug 14 by JackSomething

Michu was absolutely not a striker, I've always said so. No doubt his best performances for us were playing off a striker, usually Graham, but even Luke Moore to great effect away to Arsenal.

If Sterling is a striker option for Man City, then Ayew and Emnes are striker options for us.

Spot on

Citeh are also aiming for another 15+ games in the Champions League, so their third striker would get a lot more opportunities than any we sign.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

swans sign vickers on 13:05 - Aug 14 with 1170 viewsJackSomething

swans sign vickers on 12:50 - Aug 14 by Dr_Winston

Spot on

Citeh are also aiming for another 15+ games in the Champions League, so their third striker would get a lot more opportunities than any we sign.

Aye, it was a tongue in cheek post from me in the first place. I'd be shocked if Man City don't sign another striker, not to mention de Bruyne being able to score a few goals if they sign him. Credit to AJ though, he did some fine work in his responses. A nice, pleasant debate. Very unlike Planet Swans.

swans sign vickers on 13:39 - Aug 14 with 1145 viewsmagicdaps10

Must agree that we need a 3rd choice striker, even if its a youngster who is willing to bide his time. Think all other areas are good to go and cover available. If we lose either Gomis or Eder then we only have Emnes as back up up or dare i say it...............could even be starting if injuries or suspensions crop up.

To say that there is not enough young talent in the age range and within budget is bonkers.
Mohamed Elyounoussi-Molde
Tim Väyrynen-Dynamo Dresden
Dawid Kownacki-Lech Poznan
Muhammet Demir-Gaziantepspor

The above are all young players who would im sure love to have a crack at the prem and all available for a fee well within the clubs budget.
Also reading that Norwich are looking at 4.5M rated 24yr old italian international Mattia Destro who is no longer wanted by Roma, an excellent goalscoring record and a good age.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

swans sign vickers on 13:44 - Aug 14 with 1141 viewsjasper_T

There's 0 chance Destro gets sold for £4.5m.
swans sign vickers on 14:04 - Aug 14 with 994 viewsSwan91

swans sign vickers on 13:39 - Aug 14 by magicdaps10

Must agree that we need a 3rd choice striker, even if its a youngster who is willing to bide his time. Think all other areas are good to go and cover available. If we lose either Gomis or Eder then we only have Emnes as back up up or dare i say it...............could even be starting if injuries or suspensions crop up.

To say that there is not enough young talent in the age range and within budget is bonkers.
Mohamed Elyounoussi-Molde
Tim Väyrynen-Dynamo Dresden
Dawid Kownacki-Lech Poznan
Muhammet Demir-Gaziantepspor

The above are all young players who would im sure love to have a crack at the prem and all available for a fee well within the clubs budget.
Also reading that Norwich are looking at 4.5M rated 24yr old italian international Mattia Destro who is no longer wanted by Roma, an excellent goalscoring record and a good age.

But I do t think they would be happy not even being on the subs bench. As you could see from last game, we have so many good players that the likes of dyer, Britton, emnes etc could not even get on the bench.

We have 3 strikers (Gomis,Eder and emnes) and then we have Ayew who could go there if things go really bad(injuries,suspension). I am happy with that. Then we have a youngster who we recently signed (mcburnie) sure he might not be at that level yet but after those 4 players which will unlikely to happen you never know.

I think we have more than enough and then if bad injuries happen in the January transfer window we can just get a striker on loan.
swans sign vickers on 14:10 - Aug 14 with 989 viewsAnotherJohn

swans sign vickers on 13:05 - Aug 14 by JackSomething

Aye, it was a tongue in cheek post from me in the first place. I'd be shocked if Man City don't sign another striker, not to mention de Bruyne being able to score a few goals if they sign him. Credit to AJ though, he did some fine work in his responses. A nice, pleasant debate. Very unlike Planet Swans.

Indeed it is nice to have a discussion in good spirit - that is what PS should be about. This particular debate is one where I have always thought there are plausible arguments on both sides.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024