Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Too lop sided? 12:39 - Sep 20 with 4145 viewsAyewSerious

At Watford when the team was read out, I was quietly condfident. Lots of creativity all over the park I thought to myself.

However, it was clear within a few minutes that we were seriously lacking width, a trait we have not become familiar with at Swansea. I said it out loud, "we will struggle to break these down".

The narrow nature of our play unfortunately continued. This was making our attacks seriously predictable, very narrow and easy to manage.

Swansea are at their most potent when they are stretching the opponants, it is quite easy to contain a team that is narrow and attacks through the middle, everyone just condenses.

This continued until Montero came on and we directed our attacks through him.

The same happened yesterday. If we play down the left then we will play with width, if we play down the right side then the attacks will be through the middle.

Everton realised this instantly. We currently have a winger on one side and a striker/number 10 on the other that plays just off Gomis.

We look to be missing the Dyer/Rangel interplay. As soon as our Kyle Naughton has the ball over half way, there is rarely anybody in the channel ahead of him, unless someone like Jonjo makes the run from center midfield.

The natural width, or lack of, on the right is affecting us right now and we dont look like scoring or anywhere near as dangerous. Teams have done their homework.

The trouble is now, what do we do? Gylfi is a class act and I am sure will be again if we have two natural wingers. Shelvey has been rampant of late. Cork is doing the Britton job faultlessly and Ayew is a Champions league quality player. This all withiut mentioning Ki who was my player of the year last year.

Suggestions?
Too lop sided? on 12:55 - Sep 20 with 2973 viewsNeath_Jack

We give Gylfi a rest, play Ayew at 10 and play Routs or Barrow on the wing.

Rocket science it aint.

By the way, not seen anything to suggest Ayew is a champions league player mind. Whereas Poyet for West Ham is different gravy.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Too lop sided? on 13:06 - Sep 20 with 2953 viewsexiledclaseboy

Shelvey in the Siggurdsson role, Ki in the Shelvey role. Not that this will solve the alleged lop sided problem of course but I'm not sure we are.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2015 13:53]

Poll: Tory leader

Too lop sided? on 13:27 - Sep 20 with 2913 viewsDrizzy

Too lop sided? on 13:06 - Sep 20 by exiledclaseboy

Shelvey in the Siggurdsson role, Ki in the Shelvey role. Not that this will solve the alleged lop sided problem of course but I'm not sure we are.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2015 13:53]

This.

No slight on Sigurdsson he's just not on form. Ayew needs to learn how to play like a true right winger because him drifting inside is becoming quite predictable.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Too lop sided? on 13:33 - Sep 20 with 2898 viewsmidswan

Too lop sided? on 12:55 - Sep 20 by Neath_Jack

Rocket science it aint.

By the way, not seen anything to suggest Ayew is a champions league player mind. Whereas Poyet for West Ham is different gravy.

Agreed with this suggestion on a few posts now.
Too lop sided? on 13:37 - Sep 20 with 2888 viewstomdickharry

I know its recreating a worn subject but it does begin to look as though letting Dyer go on loan was plainly daft,replacing an experienced PL player with a novice is not good business in the PL unless that novice is an exceptional talent,Barrow isn't.
Too lop sided? on 13:58 - Sep 20 with 2847 viewsAyewSerious

Too lop sided? on 12:55 - Sep 20 by Neath_Jack

Rocket science it aint.

But that is temporary isnt it? if it is just a rest being given to Gylfi.

We are basically employing a 6 man midfield and 5 of them are central players. The gap on the right wing is alarming at times.

It is fair easier to defend attacks when only 70% of the width of the field gets used in those attacks. It allows them to double up on the left flank (or right flank for a defenders point of view) and condense the middle.

The right side is now redundant.
Too lop sided? on 14:25 - Sep 20 with 2815 viewskarnataka

Too lop sided? on 13:37 - Sep 20 by tomdickharry

I know its recreating a worn subject but it does begin to look as though letting Dyer go on loan was plainly daft,replacing an experienced PL player with a novice is not good business in the PL unless that novice is an exceptional talent,Barrow isn't.

Barrow may not be exceptional but in the short time he was on against Everton, he certainly caused them a few problems they hadn't previously had during the game and that was someone with the pace and determination to get past their left fullback. In the last 10 minutes, we were making the better chances. At times Galloway looked like a schoolkid - that foul throw was just hilarious - and it was obvious to me after 10 minutes that we needed to put pressure on him. Unfortunately, it didn't happen until 10 minutes from the end so he had a relatively easy ride for most of the game unlike Browning on the other side who couldn't get anywhere near Montero.
Too lop sided? on 15:00 - Sep 20 with 2777 viewsNeath_Jack

Too lop sided? on 13:58 - Sep 20 by AyewSerious

But that is temporary isnt it? if it is just a rest being given to Gylfi.

We are basically employing a 6 man midfield and 5 of them are central players. The gap on the right wing is alarming at times.

It is fair easier to defend attacks when only 70% of the width of the field gets used in those attacks. It allows them to double up on the left flank (or right flank for a defenders point of view) and condense the middle.

The right side is now redundant.

If it works then it gets used again.

You are not saying anything which hasn't already been discussed.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

Login to get fewer ads

Too lop sided? on 15:12 - Sep 20 with 2758 viewsRancid

I still don't understand how Ayew has made his pretty impressive career as a winger. He's not quick or tricky enough.He's looks born to play up the middle.
Too lop sided? on 15:22 - Sep 20 with 2739 viewsNeath_Jack

Too lop sided? on 15:12 - Sep 20 by Rancid

I still don't understand how Ayew has made his pretty impressive career as a winger. He's not quick or tricky enough.He's looks born to play up the middle.

Has he always played as a winger elsewhere? I'm surprised at that if thats the case, looks an absolute novice at traditional wing play.

Too lop sided? on 15:24 - Sep 20 with 2735 viewsNeathJack

Too lop sided? on 15:22 - Sep 20 by Neath_Jack

Has he always played as a winger elsewhere? I'm surprised at that if thats the case, looks an absolute novice at traditional wing play.

I'm pretty sure he was played on the left side at Marseille.

I'd play him in the hole at Hull on Tuesday and see how he gets on.
Too lop sided? on 15:34 - Sep 20 with 2711 viewsJackSomething

Too lop sided? on 14:25 - Sep 20 by karnataka

Barrow may not be exceptional but in the short time he was on against Everton, he certainly caused them a few problems they hadn't previously had during the game and that was someone with the pace and determination to get past their left fullback. In the last 10 minutes, we were making the better chances. At times Galloway looked like a schoolkid - that foul throw was just hilarious - and it was obvious to me after 10 minutes that we needed to put pressure on him. Unfortunately, it didn't happen until 10 minutes from the end so he had a relatively easy ride for most of the game unlike Browning on the other side who couldn't get anywhere near Montero.

Read more than one report that Browning dealt well with Montero. Wonder how much these journalists actually know about football. Montero had his number, which is why Everton made sure to have at least one extra player on Jeff everytime he got the ball.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Too lop sided? on 15:37 - Sep 20 with 2704 viewsNeath_Jack

Too lop sided? on 15:24 - Sep 20 by NeathJack

I'm pretty sure he was played on the left side at Marseille.

I'd play him in the hole at Hull on Tuesday and see how he gets on.

I wouldn't play him at all on Tuesday myself, Mickey Mouse cup

Too lop sided? on 15:53 - Sep 20 with 2677 viewsRancid

Too lop sided? on 15:22 - Sep 20 by Neath_Jack

I'm sure I read that in his final season at Marseille he was played as a second striker.He scored a shitload of goals that season anyway.We've got to try him in there because from game 2 we could see he was forever drifting in and pushing Gylffi out the same time.Never thought I'd say or think it but Gylffi might find himself dropped before long.
Too lop sided? on 16:13 - Sep 20 with 2635 viewsAyewSerious

Too lop sided? on 15:00 - Sep 20 by Neath_Jack

If it works then it gets used again.

You are not saying anything which hasn't already been discussed.

So you are saying drop Gylfi all together then rather than rest him? Which then leads on to probably selling Gylfi, he is not a bench player. Not really a route I would be comfortable with, he has far too much to offer.

It may have been discussed, but not by me. I rarely read the forum let alone every thread.
Too lop sided? on 16:15 - Sep 20 with 2624 viewsNeathJack

Too lop sided? on 16:13 - Sep 20 by AyewSerious

So you are saying drop Gylfi all together then rather than rest him? Which then leads on to probably selling Gylfi, he is not a bench player. Not really a route I would be comfortable with, he has far too much to offer.

It may have been discussed, but not by me. I rarely read the forum let alone every thread.

It's a squad game and everyone has their part to play.

If you're fit and in form you play, if not you don't and you work hard to get back into the team.
Too lop sided? on 16:17 - Sep 20 with 2617 viewsmidswan

Too lop sided? on 15:34 - Sep 20 by JackSomething

Read more than one report that Browning dealt well with Montero. Wonder how much these journalists actually know about football. Montero had his number, which is why Everton made sure to have at least one extra player on Jeff everytime he got the ball.

The game i watched i would say it was even stevens.....the full back did well, really only late on Monty had much joy.
Too lop sided? on 16:17 - Sep 20 with 2615 viewsNeath_Jack

Too lop sided? on 16:13 - Sep 20 by AyewSerious

No player is guaranteed to play every week, shall we sell all those that don't play every week? No player is bigger than this club, if they fall out of favour and the club deem them surplus to requirements then sold they get. I have not advocated selling him once, just for clarity.

Too lop sided? on 16:20 - Sep 20 with 2604 viewsmidswan

Too lop sided? on 16:17 - Sep 20 by Neath_Jack

No player is guaranteed to play every week, shall we sell all those that don't play every week? No player is bigger than this club, if they fall out of favour and the club deem them surplus to requirements then sold they get. I have not advocated selling him once, just for clarity.

This.Very much.
Too lop sided? on 16:28 - Sep 20 with 2581 viewsJackSomething

Too lop sided? on 16:17 - Sep 20 by midswan

The game i watched i would say it was even stevens.....the full back did well, really only late on Monty had much joy.

I honestly can't remember him dispossessing Jeff once without significant support, but I admit I may have forgotten.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Too lop sided? on 16:30 - Sep 20 with 2566 viewsAyewSerious

Too lop sided? on 16:17 - Sep 20 by Neath_Jack

I think that is a naive view personally.

Of course I dont think we should sell everyone not in the first team, we need squad players.

Squad players are those that usually are aware that is what they are, people who arent proven or have a history of happy bench warming usually. This is the reason Gomis wanted out when Bony was here, and why Britton and Dyer were/are unhappy after prolonged periods in the stands or on the bench.

I think it is a realitic view that Gylfi will not be happy to be a bench warmer. That isnt him saying he is bigger than the club. It is him saying he wants first team football (which if I remember was the reason he stated he came here for).

If he is dropped to solve this issue as you have suggested, then that probably means him going elsewhere to find first team football. Not sure what there is to argue about with that. Every action has a reaction.
Too lop sided? on 16:43 - Sep 20 with 2548 viewsmidswan

Too lop sided? on 16:30 - Sep 20 by AyewSerious

I think that is a naive view personally.

Of course I dont think we should sell everyone not in the first team, we need squad players.

Squad players are those that usually are aware that is what they are, people who arent proven or have a history of happy bench warming usually. This is the reason Gomis wanted out when Bony was here, and why Britton and Dyer were/are unhappy after prolonged periods in the stands or on the bench.

I think it is a realitic view that Gylfi will not be happy to be a bench warmer. That isnt him saying he is bigger than the club. It is him saying he wants first team football (which if I remember was the reason he stated he came here for).

If he is dropped to solve this issue as you have suggested, then that probably means him going elsewhere to find first team football. Not sure what there is to argue about with that. Every action has a reaction.

Fair points, but at the same time if he is benched as its deemed best for the team then he has to suck it up same as everyone else does. Every player wants to play surely ?
I stand by the comment that no one is bigger than the club,thats any player at any club.
Too lop sided? on 16:52 - Sep 20 with 2532 viewsAyewSerious

In an ideal world mate, yes.

But we all know big players dont want to spent their careers and understudies. A few games, yes. But what we are suggesting here is that this is the way forward.

I don't think it is a slight in these players as people who dont wish to be understudies, even Leon wasnt happy and probably still isn't in reality. That doesnt make me think he is unprofessional or thinking he is bigger than us.

If it was a computer game then this would be easy and would agree that dropping Gylfi for a winger and making Ayew the number 10 would be the smart move.

However the realist in me tells me that Gylfi is a candidate to stay at the club far longer than Ayew, who in my opinion will be like a Bony 2 season player (just my opinion). Which means this action could leave us withiut both come 2 seasons time if Gylfi is as unhappy benching it as I think he will be.

But on the other hand, I am not offering a solution either, hence the thread. Its not easy.
Too lop sided? on 16:58 - Sep 20 with 2506 viewsNeathJack

Too lop sided? on 16:52 - Sep 20 by AyewSerious

In an ideal world mate, yes.

But we all know big players dont want to spent their careers and understudies. A few games, yes. But what we are suggesting here is that this is the way forward.

I don't think it is a slight in these players as people who dont wish to be understudies, even Leon wasnt happy and probably still isn't in reality. That doesnt make me think he is unprofessional or thinking he is bigger than us.

If it was a computer game then this would be easy and would agree that dropping Gylfi for a winger and making Ayew the number 10 would be the smart move.

However the realist in me tells me that Gylfi is a candidate to stay at the club far longer than Ayew, who in my opinion will be like a Bony 2 season player (just my opinion). Which means this action could leave us withiut both come 2 seasons time if Gylfi is as unhappy benching it as I think he will be.

But on the other hand, I am not offering a solution either, hence the thread. Its not easy.

It's perfectly easy.

If a player isn't performing then he gets dropped. If said player wants to throw his toys out the pram as a result he can quite happily be sold.

To suggest that we shouldn't drop someone for fear of upsetting them is, quite frankly, ludicrous.
Too lop sided? on 17:01 - Sep 20 with 2495 viewsAnotherJohn

Perhaps not quite on topic, but is it my imagination that the pitch has been shortened? The south goal didn't seem as near the stand as usual - though admittedly I don't normally sit at that end and so wasn't completely sure. I wonder whether Gary is trying to compress the play and is not keen on too many wide-open spaces.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024