Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch 21:35 - Nov 12 with 6326 viewsbonymine

Lee Trundle's spectacular strike against Yeovil and JJS v Villa ate two standout strikes at the Liberty since we've moved there from the Vetch.

But looking back I'm trying to think of any similar long distance goals at the Vetch?

I can remember Max Thompson volley against Arsenal in Div 1, Gary Stanley v Man City I think it was plus Leggy's goal but other than that even though I've watched the Swans since 1975 I can't remember any other real long distance strikes ??

Any others you can recall ??

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 08:50 - Nov 13 with 2068 viewsphilswansfan

John Hodge at home to Walsall was an absolute ping approx 95/96. Cut in from the left wing, approx 35 yards out and smashed it - hit both inside posts before ending up in the back of the net.
Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 09:31 - Nov 13 with 2052 viewsPapaLazarou

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 07:30 - Nov 13 by Chief

Marc Goodfellow against Stockport, last FA cup game at Vetch. Against Cutler too who the north had given stick to all game and had a mare. Think he miss kicked it out to Goodfellow near the centre circle who hit first time in the top corner.

This for me. Must have been about 40 yards out.

However, it's impossible to tell because there's so little footage of games down The Vetch available. And goals always seemed further out than they were from the North Bank, and as goals get passed down through folklore an extra 5 yards seem to be added each time!
Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 09:46 - Nov 13 with 2043 viewsMorfa_Same

Much as I've tried to forget it, I can remember a Cardiff player scoring from the halfway line in the last minute of a Welsh Cup match around 1995.
Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 10:04 - Nov 13 with 2031 viewsLoyal

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 08:50 - Nov 13 by philswansfan

John Hodge at home to Walsall was an absolute ping approx 95/96. Cut in from the left wing, approx 35 yards out and smashed it - hit both inside posts before ending up in the back of the net.

I thought this was the goal that was actually officially the longest distance scored ? 43 yards ?

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 10:21 - Nov 13 with 2011 viewsHubert

Tomm Smith scored from way out on the touchline v Hull back in the old 3rd division, 1 of 2 he score that game. In terms of distance, that must be close ?
Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 10:34 - Nov 13 with 1999 viewsDafyddHuw

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 22:11 - Nov 12 by bonymine

At the Vetch mate !!

Funny, I could have sworn there was 20,000 of us at the Lib screaming for him to shoot as he ran up to the half way line.
Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 10:38 - Nov 13 with 1994 viewsHubert

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 10:34 - Nov 13 by DafyddHuw

Funny, I could have sworn there was 20,000 of us at the Lib screaming for him to shoot as he ran up to the half way line.

the thread is about longest distance goal scored at the vetch...
Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 11:07 - Nov 13 with 1981 viewsDafyddHuw

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 10:38 - Nov 13 by Hubert

the thread is about longest distance goal scored at the vetch...

D'oh
Login to get fewer ads

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 11:18 - Nov 13 with 1976 viewsDr_Winston

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 10:04 - Nov 13 by Loyal

I thought this was the goal that was actually officially the longest distance scored ? 43 yards ?

I remember that Hodge goal. Was about 25 yards out tops.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 12:03 - Nov 13 with 1953 viewskarnataka

There weren't many Jacks there as I recall but I remember Danny Bartley floating one over the keeper's head from the edge of the centre circle away at Aldershot.
Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 12:16 - Nov 13 with 1942 viewsswan65split

Wasnt a goal , but remember Geoff Thomas hitting the bar from just inside the half way line, not a lob but a shot (screamer)
Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 12:51 - Nov 13 with 1925 viewsepaul

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 10:21 - Nov 13 by Hubert

Tomm Smith scored from way out on the touchline v Hull back in the old 3rd division, 1 of 2 he score that game. In terms of distance, that must be close ?

Blimey you've jogged the old grey matter there, remember him scoring 2 can't remember one being long distance, wasn't it 5-3 or something like that

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 14:15 - Nov 13 with 1897 viewsUxbridge

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 09:46 - Nov 13 by Morfa_Same

Much as I've tried to forget it, I can remember a Cardiff player scoring from the halfway line in the last minute of a Welsh Cup match around 1995.

Millar I seem to recall. Yeah that one was the one that sprung to mind too. Am sure there have been some from further out though. Surely a goalie or two back in the day.

I saw Goodfellow score the finest long shot ever, up in Merthyr. Half way line pinger into the top corner. Never seen a finer strike ... that pre season we moved to the Lib he looked imperious. Can never tell.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 16:06 - Nov 13 with 1874 viewsDr_Winston

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 14:15 - Nov 13 by Uxbridge

Millar I seem to recall. Yeah that one was the one that sprung to mind too. Am sure there have been some from further out though. Surely a goalie or two back in the day.

I saw Goodfellow score the finest long shot ever, up in Merthyr. Half way line pinger into the top corner. Never seen a finer strike ... that pre season we moved to the Lib he looked imperious. Can never tell.

For such a lightweight bloke he couldn't half smack them.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 16:31 - Nov 13 with 1861 viewsHubert

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 12:51 - Nov 13 by epaul

Blimey you've jogged the old grey matter there, remember him scoring 2 can't remember one being long distance, wasn't it 5-3 or something like that

Yup, 5-3 one of Tommy's was from way out on the touchline, actually a mis-hit cross, so am sure if it had been measured it would be there or thereabouts
Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 17:13 - Nov 13 with 1693 viewsIDroppedMyGuts

Leighton James free kick in the 2-0 over Liverpool under the lights. My memory tells me it was around 35 yards .... but it might be the older I get, the further it gets!
Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 17:28 - Nov 13 with 1687 viewsLoyal

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 11:18 - Nov 13 by Dr_Winston

I remember that Hodge goal. Was about 25 yards out tops.

No way.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 20:15 - Nov 13 with 1654 viewsbonymine

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 22:19 - Nov 12 by morningstar

? Max Thompsons was from the penalty spot! Match of the day goal of the season though!

Sorry mate but as I was sitting in the Double Decker when he connected it seemed as if it went in from 35 yards !!

Great volley mind better than a 60 yard Charlie Adam chip !

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 20:28 - Nov 13 with 1653 viewsbonymine

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 22:19 - Nov 12 by TNT

George Smith against Hartlepool, 76 - 77 I think. Long range shot went in off the bar.

Brilliant!

And George was from the North East too ...George,Pat Lally with Eddie May & Dave Bruton at the back and Wyndham & Danny Bartley the full backs my first years as an 'apprentice' Swans fan were full of enjoyment !!
Curt,Robbie & Charlo were the attacking force Mickey,Mickey,Mickey Conway on the wing.
Great Team Great Days Great Memories.....
RIP Harry Griffiths the man who started it all off ..

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 21:47 - Nov 13 with 1633 viewsTNT

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 20:28 - Nov 13 by bonymine

And George was from the North East too ...George,Pat Lally with Eddie May & Dave Bruton at the back and Wyndham & Danny Bartley the full backs my first years as an 'apprentice' Swans fan were full of enjoyment !!
Curt,Robbie & Charlo were the attacking force Mickey,Mickey,Mickey Conway on the wing.
Great Team Great Days Great Memories.....
RIP Harry Griffiths the man who started it all off ..

Loved that team / era!

Great memories!

Seemed to be goals galore, some great goals too.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 22:40 - Nov 14 with 1572 viewssherpajacob

Jimmy Gilligan scored a couple of screamers in big games.
Anything less than 20 yards was a tap in for Robbie James.
Gary Stanley on match of the day.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 09:10 - Nov 15 with 1545 viewsVetchitBack

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 07:10 - Nov 13 by Dr_Winston

Best goal ever scored at the Vetch was in a testimonial/friendly and almost nobody remembers it. Think it might have been Bobby Smiths.

Keith Walker on the volley from out on the touchline. Right into the top corner.

Beat me to it. Was it against Wales or Man United? And wasn't Cantona promised to attend but pulled out last minute?

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 09:23 - Nov 15 with 1530 viewsDr_Winston

Longest Distance Goal Scored at The Vetch on 09:10 - Nov 15 by VetchitBack

Beat me to it. Was it against Wales or Man United? And wasn't Cantona promised to attend but pulled out last minute?

Wales I think. Cantona was supposed to guest for us.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024