Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
another case for video match official. 10:13 - Jan 28 with 3065 viewsblackjackwood

Sterling second goal . . . Yet again the ref got a wrong decision.
Play would have stopped because the ball was in the net . . . by the time the players were ready to restart the video ref would have made his decision . . result ? Goal kick and no stoppage of play !
When are FIFA going to come into the 21st century ?
another case for video match official. on 10:15 - Jan 28 with 3061 viewsEasternJack

Aren't they trialling this in the FA cup next season?

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

another case for video match official. on 10:19 - Jan 28 with 3047 viewsploppy

Hardly the ref's fault, he's not going to be able to tell from his position. It's the linesman who's got this horribly wrong, but then again, he's on the other side of the pitch, looking through the goal/net. I think it's linesmen that make the poorest decisions these days - the number of times they get offsides wrong is unacceptable. Time for increased video technology methinks.
another case for video match official. on 10:31 - Jan 28 with 3018 viewsPegojack

another case for video match official. on 10:19 - Jan 28 by ploppy

Hardly the ref's fault, he's not going to be able to tell from his position. It's the linesman who's got this horribly wrong, but then again, he's on the other side of the pitch, looking through the goal/net. I think it's linesmen that make the poorest decisions these days - the number of times they get offsides wrong is unacceptable. Time for increased video technology methinks.

As you rightly say, you can't expect the lino to see through the posts and net, even if he's level with play.

The practice most refs follow is to run a 'diagonal' to cover the two quarters of the field which the linos don't cover. He would say to them "you deal with everything in your quarter, I'll sort out incidents in the other two quarters on my diagonal".

I didn't see the match on TV, I was listening on the radio, so I don't know how much 'up with play' the ref was, but it would have been his primary responsibility to rule whether the ball was in or out.
another case for video match official. on 10:52 - Jan 28 with 2987 viewsUxbridge

It was marginal whether the whole of the ball was over the whole of the line. Understandable how they got that wrong. I've never understood why they don't extend the hawkeye technology to the touch and goal lines though, would seem ideally suited to the issue. Offsides even.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

another case for video match official. on 12:53 - Jan 28 with 2912 viewsploppy

another case for video match official. on 10:31 - Jan 28 by Pegojack

As you rightly say, you can't expect the lino to see through the posts and net, even if he's level with play.

The practice most refs follow is to run a 'diagonal' to cover the two quarters of the field which the linos don't cover. He would say to them "you deal with everything in your quarter, I'll sort out incidents in the other two quarters on my diagonal".

I didn't see the match on TV, I was listening on the radio, so I don't know how much 'up with play' the ref was, but it would have been his primary responsibility to rule whether the ball was in or out.

Running the diagonal to cover the "far side" from the linos is fine. However, unless you're looking along a line it's almost impossible to tell if the whole ball has crossed it, and the further away you are the harder it is. It would be like the ref trying to adjudicate on offside - impossible. From the photos in the media, it looks like Atkinson was somewhere outside the penalty box, so he really had no chance of making the right call. IMHO they have to introduce a TMO, like rugby, but for a limited set of decisions.
another case for video match official. on 13:03 - Jan 28 with 2887 viewssomersetsimon

another case for video match official. on 12:53 - Jan 28 by ploppy

Running the diagonal to cover the "far side" from the linos is fine. However, unless you're looking along a line it's almost impossible to tell if the whole ball has crossed it, and the further away you are the harder it is. It would be like the ref trying to adjudicate on offside - impossible. From the photos in the media, it looks like Atkinson was somewhere outside the penalty box, so he really had no chance of making the right call. IMHO they have to introduce a TMO, like rugby, but for a limited set of decisions.

It's got to happen soon. It's ridiculous that, within seconds of the incident, everyone else knows what happened, but the officials are the only ones who aren't aware.

I know the Swans were told off recently for replaying a 'contentious' incident on the big screen, but I expect that Man City would have been ok to replay their goals. What happens if the referee sees the big screen and realises the ball was clearly out of play? Is he allowed to act on that information?
another case for video match official. on 14:42 - Jan 28 with 2834 viewsPegojack

another case for video match official. on 12:53 - Jan 28 by ploppy

I agree with you, I'm just saying it was Atkinson's call before the lino.

But there are so many bad decisions spoiling games now, I'm gradually coming around to the idea of some kind of TMO intervention.

I used to believe in the FIFA mantra 'keep football officiating the same at all levels, from the local park to the top of the game', but it's gone away from that now anyway, when refs and linos started getting miked up. Anyway, it hasn't done grass roots tennis or rugby any harm, not having the same technology at all levels.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2016 14:43]
another case for video match official. on 15:31 - Jan 28 with 2802 viewsblackjackwood

another case for video match official. on 14:42 - Jan 28 by Pegojack

I agree with you, I'm just saying it was Atkinson's call before the lino.

But there are so many bad decisions spoiling games now, I'm gradually coming around to the idea of some kind of TMO intervention.

I used to believe in the FIFA mantra 'keep football officiating the same at all levels, from the local park to the top of the game', but it's gone away from that now anyway, when refs and linos started getting miked up. Anyway, it hasn't done grass roots tennis or rugby any harm, not having the same technology at all levels.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2016 14:43]

FIFA mantra is a valid point except that all levels other than the premier league don't have 50 cameras at each ground and trial by video ! Blatter once stated he thought video technology would undermine the referee but Its so much pressure on the officials who are now in court without any right for reply !
Every one on sky sports . . . ( except for Ince and Pearce !!! ) is calling for it !
Login to get fewer ads

another case for video match official. on 20:52 - Jan 28 with 2732 viewsDewi1jack

another case for video match official. on 10:19 - Jan 28 by ploppy

maybe 4 linesmen?
Surely one of them would have flagged Defoe's hattrick then.

Definitely time for Video to be used.
Play is stopped for a goal anyway. No hardship for a ref to say "no goal- offside/ foul" etc
Maybe the Hawkeye type system they use at Wimbledon for the goal/ touch lines
[Post edited 28 Jan 2016 20:55]

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

another case for video match official. on 21:17 - Jan 28 with 2712 viewsSwansNZ

another case for video match official. on 20:52 - Jan 28 by Dewi1jack

maybe 4 linesmen?
Surely one of them would have flagged Defoe's hattrick then.

Definitely time for Video to be used.
Play is stopped for a goal anyway. No hardship for a ref to say "no goal- offside/ foul" etc
Maybe the Hawkeye type system they use at Wimbledon for the goal/ touch lines
[Post edited 28 Jan 2016 20:55]

Having 4 linesmen (1 per quarter of the field) makes more sense than UEFA having the extra ones on the goal line.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

another case for video match official. on 21:23 - Jan 28 with 2701 viewssomersetsimon

another case for video match official. on 21:17 - Jan 28 by SwansNZ

Having 4 linesmen (1 per quarter of the field) makes more sense than UEFA having the extra ones on the goal line.

What if one linesman puts his flag up and the other one doesn't?
another case for video match official. on 21:39 - Jan 28 with 2684 viewsSwansNZ

another case for video match official. on 21:23 - Jan 28 by somersetsimon

What if one linesman puts his flag up and the other one doesn't?

Lemmings — if one puts it up, you can bet the other one will too

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

another case for video match official. on 21:46 - Jan 28 with 2673 viewstrampie

It is not in the interest of the big teams and countries to have technology.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

another case for video match official. on 22:26 - Jan 28 with 2625 viewsDewi1jack

another case for video match official. on 21:39 - Jan 28 by SwansNZ

Lemmings — if one puts it up, you can bet the other one will too

This.

Until the centre stage, look at me ref, overrules the 2 linesmen
Or Bobbi meddles again.
Or we have some muppet called Scott in charge.

Never understood why FIFA/ UEFA went with the extra lino behind the goal, once technology proved itself.
Two each half makes more sense to me anyway.
Maybe now Blatter and Panini (well, he used his loaf and made a bit of bread from the job- coat time and got!!) are out of the way, maybe the football bodies can start to use technology

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

another case for video match official. on 22:49 - Jan 28 with 2599 viewsjacktar

another case for video match official. on 21:46 - Jan 28 by trampie

It is not in the interest of the big teams and countries to have technology.

I disagree. It's decisions like this that are making fools of officials and clubs are losing out big-time with the money that's involved in today's game. Technology through a TMO type intervention would take seconds in most cases so would not slow up the momentum of the game any more than a player lying on the ground rolling over after a so called bad tackle and subsequently stopping play.
I'm sure most referees would be grateful for some of the difficult decisions to be scrutinised and take away most of the pressure of wrong decisions being made.
Unlike rugby where a melee of players lying on top of one another can take an age for a decision to be made, most calls can be made in seconds.
I think it's time it happened for certain aspects of play where maybe the TMO is wired to the ref and calls the need for another look.
Certainly a trial of this would not go amiss IMO. After all we should only want fair results.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

another case for video match official. on 07:00 - Jan 29 with 2532 viewssomersetsimon

another case for video match official. on 22:49 - Jan 28 by jacktar

I disagree. It's decisions like this that are making fools of officials and clubs are losing out big-time with the money that's involved in today's game. Technology through a TMO type intervention would take seconds in most cases so would not slow up the momentum of the game any more than a player lying on the ground rolling over after a so called bad tackle and subsequently stopping play.
I'm sure most referees would be grateful for some of the difficult decisions to be scrutinised and take away most of the pressure of wrong decisions being made.
Unlike rugby where a melee of players lying on top of one another can take an age for a decision to be made, most calls can be made in seconds.
I think it's time it happened for certain aspects of play where maybe the TMO is wired to the ref and calls the need for another look.
Certainly a trial of this would not go amiss IMO. After all we should only want fair results.

Generally I'm in favour, but there is a danger it would suffer from the same problem as football where referees are afraid to make any 50/50 decision and everything gets referred to the TMO. I can imagine the TMO being called every time a player falls over in the box as the ref doesn't want to make the wrong call.
another case for video match official. on 09:46 - Jan 29 with 2487 viewstrampie

another case for video match official. on 22:49 - Jan 28 by jacktar

Its a known that the big teams get the bulk of the wrong decisions in their favour and the small teams get the bulk of the wrong decisions go against them.

So its not in the big powerful teams interests to push for a more level playing field.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

another case for video match official. on 15:34 - Jan 29 with 2449 viewsOldjack

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

another case for video match official. on 16:00 - Jan 29 with 2419 viewsjacktar

another case for video match official. on 09:46 - Jan 29 by trampie

Its a known that the big teams get the bulk of the wrong decisions in their favour and the small teams get the bulk of the wrong decisions go against them.

So its not in the big powerful teams interests to push for a more level playing field.

You may be right but I think it will happen sooner rather than later. There was a fair bit of resistance in some quarters to the goalmouth technology now used when the ball crosses the line but a few shocking refereeing decisions changed that around.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024