Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Euro 96 Your Memories 08:14 - Jun 2 with 8564 viewsToast_R

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36393053

Can't believe this was 20 years ago as it feels like last year.
I was 17, just out of College and working Saturdays at WH Smith's in Putney High Street so I missed both the Switzerland and Scotland group games.

After England had humiliated the Dutch, there was certainly a national feel good factor the likes of which I've probably not seen or felt since. Honestly felt we were going to beat Germany comfortably after Shearer scored so losing to the Germans on penalties once again was just such an anti-climax and then everything just seemed to resort to type in an instant. England were out, QPR were about to start life outside the top flight but then they had a decent squad, they were bound to bounce back the following season... weren't they?
Euro 96 Your Memories on 19:45 - Jun 2 with 1852 viewsnumbers912

Was fortunate enough to to attend both the Scotland game (with Scot clients) and the Germany. The latter was the most emotionally tiring game have ever seen. Was so hot in the stadium but spent the whole night shaking with adrenalin. People always remember the Gazza miss and like everyone else every time I watch it I think he'll score but Anderton hitting the post was the one that got me. I thought had scored and was screaming. Then came their disallowed header which destroyed me then had me jumping up and down. I can't remember the penalties just the hurt. Not as bad as the post milk cup hurt though.
Euro 96 Your Memories on 22:04 - Jun 2 with 1802 viewsBrightonhoop

What a summer that was. I had a job at Slough and part time evening job in Harrow so was raking it in. Remember the Swiss game being very nervy, the Scotland game was Gascogne at his best, and that goal came out of nowhere. There was a cloud over Venables as well seem to remember, press slagging off everyone involved, and on that game it turned. I remember my manager at Slough (in an office of all women but me, rotten times) and her asking what had changed, and just saying he's Venables, QPR the best, nothings changed.
:-D
And racing home in a mini, drove it faster than Mr Cooper himself, from Harrow to Uxbridge knowing I was missing the first 10 mins. I've never seen west London so deserted, I dont think I saw another soul or car all the way home. As I legged it from the mini t my front door the street erupted from silence, the first had gone in, the rest, as they say, is history....
Euro 96 Your Memories on 00:11 - Jun 3 with 1764 viewsRanger78

Great memories. It was a great time to be 18!

I used to go to Burnham Beeches hotel a lot because I lived near by. I remember the whole squad being brilliant with the fans

So so close, I was devastated and a drunken blubbering mess at the end of the Germany game

I thought the Shearer BBC doc was a good watch
[Post edited 3 Jun 2016 0:12]
Euro 96 Your Memories on 02:48 - Jun 3 with 1738 viewsSydneyRs

Was backpacking here in Oz at the time. Watched all England games in various pubs at various times of day.

First game was a forgettable 1-1 draw.

England v Scotland. Watched in an Irish pub in Sydney where most there were supporting Scotland. The minute or so between Scotland missing the penalty and Gazza putting us 2-0 up was crazy. I actually missed the Gazza goal because we were still jumping around celebrating the penalty save. Looked up to see the replays of the second goal - fantastic moments.

England V Holland. 4am start in the pub. The way we destroyed such a great Dutch team will live long in the memory. Best England performance I have ever seen. Had to go straight to work afterwards but didn't care.

England v Spain. This was a late night kick off time. In a pub in Kinds Cross in Sydney, again in the minority. To be honest we were outplayed and I recall Spain having a perfectly good goal ruled offside. Then the only penalty shootout we have ever won. Mayhem. Someone painted a St George cross on may face, which I forgot about until later a nightclub doorman said "you aren't coming in with that on your face". So we just went back to the pub we were in before (open 24 hours!). Someone also tried to steal my St George flag before I spotted him. Probably a northerner, can't remember!

Germany, another 4am start. 1-0 up after about 4 mins but then we all know what happened. The Gazza stretch that almost scored again. We actually score all 5 penalties and still end up losing on sudden death. Heartbreaking. Had work after this one too, a very long day.
Euro 96 Your Memories on 02:50 - Jun 3 with 1737 viewsSydneyRs

Euro 96 Your Memories on 09:06 - Jun 2 by JacksDad

I was 28 and amazingly privileged to have been a Steward at Wembley for every England game - except for the Semi (which was too important and I could not guarantee my behaviour) and the Final.

Being in Wembley before it opened and experiencing the building up of the most amazing atmosphere I have ever witnessed will stay with me forever.

I was on the pitch (supposed to be looking at the crowd, yeah right) during the Spanish shootout and Pearce's "COME ON" was so loud behind me I thought he was a fudge of a lot closer than he was!

As someone once said, you lucky, lucky bastard.
Euro 96 Your Memories on 07:11 - Jun 3 with 1704 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I was living in Hong Kong back then and went to the friendly we played over there before the tournament. It was a boring nil nil and you would have never thought we would end up improving so much in short time. I knew the bar where the infamous 'dentist chair' incident occured but I wasn't in there that night unfortunately.
Euro 96 Your Memories on 08:36 - Jun 3 with 1681 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I realized yesterday 'Football's coming home' is 20 too [shocked]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024