Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? 00:09 - Oct 7 with 17529 viewsGlyn1

For American newcomers who are reading this: ‘Taff’ is a river in south Wales and is a nickname for the Welsh, and ‘Jock’ is a nickname for Scottish men.

There was an interesting news item in Wednesday’s edition of The Times. It’s behind a firewall so I can’t link to it but the headline was “Don’t call him Taff … but Jock is less offensive”. Here's an extract:

“Describing a Scot as a Jock is not offensive, but calling a Welsh person a Taff may land you in hot water, according to the communications regulator Ofcom.

The watchdog ranked offensive terms on a scale from mild to strong, based on a survey of people from around the UK.

It decided that Jock was merely “mild language, generally of little concern, while ginger, used to describe people with red hair, was considered nothing more than a “humorous insult”.

Yet Taff was deemed as “medium language, potentially offensive”……”

As this was a national survey, they must have asked Welsh people about this who told them that they would be offended but I’m struggling to see the problem. Personally, I grew up as Welsh and ginger, so was quite interested in this article. Are there really people who are offended? And how often are people actually called Taffs, because it doesn’t happen to me very often nowadays — other names are used much more frequently.

Obviously the survey didn’t discuss ‘Yanks’ so I’d like to ask the Americans about this. As it’s supposed to refer only to people from the north-eastern USA I can see how people in the southern States and the western States would be annoyed — and Yank/Yankee always was thought to be a very old-fashioned bit of slang, although some posters on this site seem to be doing their best to revive it.

So, just out of idle curiosity, when was the last time that you were called a Taff — was it meant offensively — were you offended?
[Post edited 7 Oct 2016 0:15]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 00:14 - Oct 7 with 15683 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Yank is not offensive at all.

Hardcore, Old South-type southerners still use "yankee" in a derogatory way I guess; but "yank" is seen as something totally different, the Brit nickname for Americans.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2016 0:18]

POTY 2015
Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 00:18 - Oct 7 with 15664 viewsraynor94

" Taffy was a Welshman, Taffy was a thief, Taffy came to my house and stole a leg of Beef"

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 01:04 - Oct 7 with 15605 viewsBanosswan

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 00:18 - Oct 7 by raynor94

" Taffy was a Welshman, Taffy was a thief, Taffy came to my house and stole a leg of Beef"

River taff runs through Cardiff. That makes it disgusting.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 01:36 - Oct 7 with 15586 viewsAtticus

I don't get offended by Yank, it's better than Septic.
How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 01:59 - Oct 7 with 15570 viewsstAteSwan

Yank is not offensive, though I will point out that in the states "Jock" is a sort of offensive nickname for an athlete.
How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 03:54 - Oct 7 with 15519 viewsnyc_swans

if you're from the southern US it can be used as a derogatory term in reference to northerners. that said, it doesn't have much in the way of gravitas. anyone who's offended by it is living far in the past.

in short, nobody cares about the word "yank" or "yankee" , if they do, they're just looking for an excuse to feel offended.
How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 03:57 - Oct 7 with 15504 viewsLoyal

Paddy, limey, Pom.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 04:55 - Oct 7 with 15496 viewsphact0rri

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 03:54 - Oct 7 by nyc_swans

if you're from the southern US it can be used as a derogatory term in reference to northerners. that said, it doesn't have much in the way of gravitas. anyone who's offended by it is living far in the past.

in short, nobody cares about the word "yank" or "yankee" , if they do, they're just looking for an excuse to feel offended.

unless they are japanese, then they stick out their tongue and tell you they are yakuza.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Login to get fewer ads

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 06:41 - Oct 7 with 15437 viewsDr_Winston

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 01:04 - Oct 7 by Banosswan

River taff runs through Cardiff. That makes it disgusting.

Exactly.

I'd rather be called a sheepshagger than a Taff. It's less offensive.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 06:48 - Oct 7 with 15427 viewsShonky

Millwall chant. (To us back in 2000 at New Den)
I'd rather be a .... than a taff.
I cant say the word, but its the first four letters of the country. (Making it all the stranger that it is actually perceived as being highly offensive).
[Post edited 7 Oct 2016 6:50]

Its just a ride...

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 07:09 - Oct 7 with 15384 viewsswanjackal

If you're trully offended by being called any of the things mentioned in the OP, then maybe reality isn't the best place for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 07:35 - Oct 7 with 15337 viewsPrivate_Partz

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 07:09 - Oct 7 by swanjackal

If you're trully offended by being called any of the things mentioned in the OP, then maybe reality isn't the best place for you.

Indeed you are right. PC gone mad. I called Americans 'Shermans' and Bob 'Boo'. Initially because I was annoyed at the new owners actions and was hoping Bob was just press speculation and would not get the job. Now it is still mocking of the owners but a form of affection ( in a manly way you understand:-)) for Boo as I hope he does well despite thinking it will be a miracle if he does. One thing it is not is racism in any way shape or form.
Nothing wrong with nicknames. it is the way they are used and the motive behind them that counts.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 07:48 - Oct 7 with 15309 viewsswanjackal

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 06:48 - Oct 7 by Shonky

Millwall chant. (To us back in 2000 at New Den)
I'd rather be a .... than a taff.
I cant say the word, but its the first four letters of the country. (Making it all the stranger that it is actually perceived as being highly offensive).
[Post edited 7 Oct 2016 6:50]

Burk? As in Burkina Faso?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 07:58 - Oct 7 with 15281 viewsShonky

Near India.

Its just a ride...

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 08:16 - Oct 7 with 15243 viewsBanosswan

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 07:58 - Oct 7 by Shonky

Near India.

Bang?

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 08:17 - Oct 7 with 15240 viewsswanjackal

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 08:16 - Oct 7 by Banosswan

Bang?

Was about to post exact same thing

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 08:34 - Oct 7 with 15211 viewsBanosswan

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 08:17 - Oct 7 by swanjackal

Was about to post exact same thing

Nepa?

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 08:36 - Oct 7 with 15204 viewsraynor94

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 08:34 - Oct 7 by Banosswan

Nepa?

Kash?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 09:37 - Oct 7 with 15110 viewsoldcob

There was a woman in Neath during WW2, they used to call her "American knickers". One good Yank and they were off.
How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 09:47 - Oct 7 with 15101 viewsepaul

Definitely offended if called Taff, not in a racial way, just the fact that I wasn't born in scumdiff!

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 09:52 - Oct 7 with 15092 viewsPsychoDuck

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 09:47 - Oct 7 by epaul

Definitely offended if called Taff, not in a racial way, just the fact that I wasn't born in scumdiff!

Sheepshagger, Taff, both are fine with me. Its being called English by the Yanks that offends me!
How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 09:55 - Oct 7 with 15082 viewsperchrockjack

Depends on context.
I got called it and didn't mind until I read it was offensive

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 10:19 - Oct 7 with 15051 viewsLoyal

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 07:09 - Oct 7 by swanjackal

This is the issue, at what point does it cross the line a black guy saying ni*g*r or a white one ?
It's the individuals tolerance every time.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 10:46 - Oct 7 with 15024 viewswhiterock

How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 09:52 - Oct 7 by PsychoDuck

Sheepshagger, Taff, both are fine with me. Its being called English by the Yanks that offends me!

I'd rather be called English than Taff
How offensive is ‘Taff’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Yank’? on 10:55 - Oct 7 with 15012 viewsmalagajack

As an undergraduate in the north of england I was known as Taff the whole time i was there, many other students actually thought that was my name. I had absolutely no problem with it at all, not that i had any choice, wasn't keen on taffy tho, had all the sheep jokes regularly too, all banter and usually done in good humour. No big deal in my opinion, there is a difference between this and negative stereotyping, there are more important things to worry about.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024