Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Memorable Matches You Have Been to NOT Involving QPR 20:40 - Nov 1 with 9934 viewsHadders

As a teenager in the 1980s, I used to go on lovely surfing holidays on the Gower Peninsula in South Wales with my dad, and one time my best pal Tom (a fellow R) came along too. Which is how we ended up standing on a packed North Bank terrace at the Vetch Field watching Swansea thrash Leeds 5-1 on 29th August 1981, a match that has now taken on legendary status. It was the Swans' first-ever game in the old First Division, having been promoted in successive seasons from the Fourth, under John Toshak. Oddly, given that I have no attachment to either club, it's one of the most memorable games I have ever attended, and Tom says the same - the noise and emotion were unforgettable.

Which reminds me... Pat, a close friend of my (now-departed) Mum, is originally from New Jersey, though she has lived in London since the mid- 1960s. She recently told me that she was given a ticket for a game at Wembley soon after arriving in London, which is the only match she has ever been to. She had and still has no interest in football whatsoever. It was the World Cup Final in 1966.

[Post edited 1 Nov 2017 21:07]
Memorable Matches You Have Been to NOT Involving QPR on 13:05 - Nov 7 with 2350 viewsManinBlack

Memorable Matches You Have Been to NOT Involving QPR on 16:29 - Nov 2 by nightwish

I travelled up from my home in Eastbourne to watch QPR vs Manchester United only to find when I arrived at the ground the match had been called off due to a frozen pitch.So instead of wasting my day and my train fare I travelled across London to watch Arsenal vs Newcastle.It was Malcolm McDonalds first time in an Arsenal shirt playing against his old club Newcastle where he was a legend.About the best match I have ever seen Arsenal 5 Newcastle 3.Malcolm McDonald scoring a hat trick for Arsenal

I did the same as you diverting to Highbury to watch this game which was a cracker. Of course some of the games I recall were as much for the atmosphere as the football played.

In the 80's I could afford to go to two games in a day. On one such occasion I went to see Millwall beat Leeds 3-1 at lunchtime with a Leeds mate which was riot literally, which is why it was so memorable, before heading to the Lane to see QPR draw 1-1 at Spurs. I wasn't put off by my previous experience as I returned a couple of seasons later for another 3-1 Millwall victory over Leeds but again that was an experience in hostility rather than the game itself being one to remember.

Other memorable games were Celtic 3 Rangers 1 for my first Old Firm experience and Celtic 2 Hibs 3 being in the packed out and noisy Hibees end particularly in the last 10 minutes when Hibs fought back from behind to win.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2017 13:10]
Memorable Matches You Have Been to NOT Involving QPR on 14:36 - Nov 7 with 2310 viewsAntti_Heinola

Been lucky enough to be at a couple of big ones:

England 2 Greece 2 at Old Trafford. Just a fraught game, England didn't play well, no one knew that Greece were actually half decent (Euro Champs less than 2 years later), so expected an easy enough win. In the end, it took that Beckham free kick - maybe the best he scored? - to send us through. And then the atmosphere was amazing. Unforgettable day.

Also lucky enough to go to the Barca - United final at Wembley a few years back, so got to see possibly the best club side in history destroy Man Utd.

And then there was the time, as a kid, we were on holiday in France and me and my Dad went to some local game. Either free or nearly free to get in. Turned out it wasn't one game, it was three - two semis and a final. We were there for hours, but someone did score from the halfway line from a kick off i think. I was asleep in the stands by the end.

Also once saw a very good FA Cup game between Norwich and Cov - think it was 2-2, maybe went to pens, not sure. But Royston played for Cov and he was ace.

Oh, and went to see Madrid against Bilbao. Original Ronaldo in his pomp, with Figo, Beckham and Zidane. What. A. Team. Ronaldo was sublime. Scored two, one round the keeper obvs, with the best stepover there ever was. What a player.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2017 14:46]

Bare bones.

Memorable Matches You Have Been to NOT Involving QPR on 18:11 - Nov 7 with 2257 viewsHadders

Antti got me watching these highlights of the 2011 CL final which he went to, lucky chap. Barcelona that night were so thrilling to watch (even on TV), it has stayed in my memory as THE ultimate performance; a team playing majestic football in a big final, for once.

[Post edited 9 Nov 2017 20:17]
Memorable Matches You Have Been to NOT Involving QPR on 20:00 - Nov 8 with 2142 viewsPeterHucker

Been to loads of England matches at Wembley in the late 80s and 90s.
One that always sticks in my mind was a 4-0 win over Turkey where Gascoigne scored twice and was just amazing.
Also went to matches in World Cup 1998, Euro 2000, World Cup 2002 and Euro 2004.
A few England matches but mainly other teams.

Particular highlights were........

France v Czech Republic in Bruges during Euro 2000.
France, and Zidane in particular, were fantastic but also the Czech midfield (Rosicky, Poborsky and the immensely talented Nedved) were great to watch. France won that 2-1 which meant the Czechs were out but they were really unlucky.

Senegal v Denmark in Daegu, South Korea in 2002.
Great match, very close, thousands of noisy Danes and I was in with the Senegalese fans who were probably no more than 100 but very lively.
The match finished 2-2 and I was behind the goal where Diao scored this one, later voted goal of the tournament.

Memorable Matches You Have Been to NOT Involving QPR on 07:20 - Nov 9 with 2087 viewsNW10Hoop

Biggest game for me was probably the semi final of Euro 96, the one where Southgate missed his penalty. Managed to blag tickets a couple of hours before kick off. Unbelievable atmosphere, with the Three Lions tune having caught on with the England fans. Probably the only time I genuinely thought England were gonna win a tournament
Memorable Matches You Have Been to NOT Involving QPR on 18:59 - Nov 11 with 1999 viewsBrixtonR

Best was Chelsea v Millwall FA Cup 4th round 1985. 3-2 to Millwall Fash the bash scored the winner I think. Was great to see the Chelsea bullies get smashed both on and off the pitch . At one point it was kicking off in every part of the ground with Millwall seeming to take liberties with the fckin scum.

Then Millwall v Leeds 86-87 11.00am Kick Off . Was like getting access to a high security prison I think my tickets got checked about 5 times from New Cross to the Den. More fckin helicopters than the Westland affair.
1-0 to Millwall . The paltry 700 or so mighty Leeds Champions of Europe fans who had made the journey got serenaded with 'Did the ripper fck your mum' from the whole ground for about 10 minutes non stop at one point and then you'll never make the station for about the last 10 lol
I always used to stand on the CBL (Cold Blow Lane) when I went Wall but for that game second half we were in the Halfway Line . Well when Millwall scored it was mental and during the EIO EIO celebration my QPR season ticket fell on the floor. - I've never dived down to pick something up so fast in all my life lol
Rangers played Liverpool in the afternoon and we lost 3-1 just to bring the day down.

Finally Holland v England in the 1988 European Championship (1-3) suffice to say many stories around that and probaly one of the most memorable few days of my life.
Memorable Matches You Have Been to NOT Involving QPR on 20:41 - Nov 11 with 1977 viewsflynnbo

Wimbledon v Leeds FAC replay at Selhurst Park when dirty Leeds got a lucky winner circa 1975/76. Also, watching newly promoted Carlisle winning at Stamford Bridge in the early 1970s 😀
Memorable Matches You Have Been to NOT Involving QPR on 05:52 - Nov 12 with 1952 viewsahoz

Memorable Matches You Have Been to NOT Involving QPR on 20:41 - Nov 11 by flynnbo

Wimbledon v Leeds FAC replay at Selhurst Park when dirty Leeds got a lucky winner circa 1975/76. Also, watching newly promoted Carlisle winning at Stamford Bridge in the early 1970s 😀

As a young kid and not knowing any better I did the rounds of QPR Fulham and Chelsea games, whom were all in different divisions at the time. Three 1958 games which stick in my mind:
Chelsea 6 Newcastle 5 - Newscastle leading 5-3 with 15 mins to go;
Chelsea 6 Wolves 2 - Jimmy Greaves scored 5 goals;
Fulham 6 Sunderland 2 - Sunderland leading 2-1 HT thanks to some brilliant goalkeeping by their keeper Fraser.
Login to get fewer ads

Memorable Matches You Have Been to NOT Involving QPR on 10:46 - Nov 12 with 1895 viewsTW_R

I worked with a Gooner many years ago and, I can't remember why, but I ended up at this game. Quite memorable for obvious reasons.

Memorable Matches You Have Been to NOT Involving QPR on 10:56 - Nov 14 with 1799 viewssouthbrookstreet

Memorable Matches You Have Been to NOT Involving QPR on 10:03 - Nov 2 by HantsR

In January 1967, my Dad and I went to see Millwall v Plymouth. We lived in Forest Hill at the time, but his Dad had been a director of Argyle and I was getting really interested in football (shortly before my baptism in W12) so it seemed a good idea at the time.

Millwall were on a run of something like 59 games undefeated but Argyle had the temerity to beat them 2-1 and fans got the hump so badly, they smashed up the away coach (the vehicle that is). Quite an experience!

My Dad was finally converted when I took him to LR to see his boyhood team get thumped by Marsh, Keen etc.

What you have not mentioned hantsR is not only Millwall were on that incredible run of 59 home games without defeat Plymouth were also on a similar run of no away wins which makes the Plymouth win more incredible
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024