Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year 18:26 - Mar 25 with 8198 viewsJackfath

Anyone?

At the moment I'm entered in a couple of triathlons.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 15:47 - Mar 26 with 2553 viewsbiggar

Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 18:58 - Mar 25 by Jackfath

Nightmare getting into the habit. I am battling myself continually. Dreadful.

Hello,

Did quite a few triathlons a couple of years back so give me a shout if you need any help/advice.
Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 18:24 - Mar 26 with 2520 viewsPacemaker

I have entered the Tour of Pembrokeshire 85 mile sportive in 7 weeks, really tough route but a beautiful area this will be my fifth year. I barely got around first time but kind of enjoy it now.

I have a couple of other Sportives and a 200 mile charity ride from Brecon to the National Arboretum Memorial at Tamworth. Very emotional but worthwhile.

I have found that riding for a charity and raising sponsorship forces me to train and get out there.

For those looking to get fit/lose weight etc in 2011/12 I was 40 waist 20 odd stone with a wrecked back and knees from a bad sporting past. I also had a Pacemaker fitted after an electrical issue with my heart. I have never been as fit and strong as I am now and approaching my 60's I love cycling walking and just getting outside. My commute is 42 miles round trip and I slowly built up to going it a few days a week.

If I can do it so can anyone and people like Jackfath and Phil S are shining examples of people with busy lives and young families getting out there and doing it.

You will find a lot of support on here from even the strangest sources.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 18:37 - Mar 26 with 2506 viewsGowerjack

I'm very impressed with all you guys efforts.

Respect to all.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 19:13 - Mar 26 with 2489 viewssquarebear

Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 19:31 - Mar 25 by dickythorpe

Good luck to all. Enjoy it is my advice, don't let it get you down.
I went back to some weight training a month back and I'm lifting tiny weights, but I'm enjoying it and feel healthier for it.
I'm not even looking ahead and creating goals, I just do it when I feel like it.

I’ve got strong legs but shockingly weak arms. When a mate tried to get me lifting weights and was teaching me technique I was unable to even lift the bar on its own.

I’m trying to get back into running but have goosed my calf muscles so that’s on the back burner. I do boot camp once a week (which is pretty gentle) and a weekly personal training session (definitely NOT gentle), plus I usually get a 40 mile bike ride in.

I’ve entered the Swansea Bay 10K (16 Sept). The last time I did a 10K was in 1992 so I’m interested to see how my time will compare.
Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 19:39 - Mar 26 with 2475 viewsJackfath

Lovely to hear so many great stories.

Pacemaker is a great man to message for advice.

Keep up the great work chaps and here's to a fitter, healthier lifestyle.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 19:48 - Mar 26 with 2467 viewsScotia

I've just finished my first CrossFit open after training for six months. Got a couple of half marathons lined up over the summer and the castles relay. Can't wait.
Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 20:03 - Mar 26 with 2455 viewsbuilthjack

Beer drinking contest on Sunday. Haven't entered for many a year.
🍺

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 20:10 - Mar 26 with 2453 viewsdickythorpe

Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 19:13 - Mar 26 by squarebear

I’ve got strong legs but shockingly weak arms. When a mate tried to get me lifting weights and was teaching me technique I was unable to even lift the bar on its own.

I’m trying to get back into running but have goosed my calf muscles so that’s on the back burner. I do boot camp once a week (which is pretty gentle) and a weekly personal training session (definitely NOT gentle), plus I usually get a 40 mile bike ride in.

I’ve entered the Swansea Bay 10K (16 Sept). The last time I did a 10K was in 1992 so I’m interested to see how my time will compare.

Strong arms needn't mean massive biceps like the modern roid head you see with guns bursting out of ill fitting t shirts etc.
The pressing movements like bench press and shoulder press will develop strength in those arms.
I played against guys who were ridiculously muscular but put them in a maul and they could never get the ball off the players who trained sensibly and all major body parts.
Too many people see the bicep as the "vanity" muscle, and just concentrate on that.
I do not have big guns but I wouldn't swap them with anyone, I know exactly how to train them for strength directly and indirectly.
Login to get fewer ads

Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 20:31 - Mar 26 with 2443 viewsBournedore

Sister in law has neuroendocrine cancer and the wife and I have signed up to do a 3 peaks challenge in the summer to raise some money for her charity - not especially looking forward to it but will feel great afterwards I’m sure!
Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 20:45 - Mar 26 with 2436 viewsPhil_S

Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 13:12 - Mar 26 by BlasterJack

Qualification for the Welsh Castles Relay should be top of your list!!!

Ha ha that one is down to the lap of the ballot gods now unless I miraculously find about 17 minutes between now and next Saturday...
Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 20:46 - Mar 26 with 2435 viewsPhil_S

Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 21:34 - Mar 25 by Sirjohnalot

Snowdonia is a brilliant race. Best one I've ever done. The atmosphere is fantastic and Llaneberis is a beautiful place to see. The Heights is a great pub and Y Pantri is a nice place to eat. Message me near the time if you need someone to show you around as I'll be there again.

Top man - thank you, will take you up on that!
Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 20:46 - Mar 26 with 2434 viewsmarchamjack

Saw a programme last year on the Snowdon Race, which is a 10 miler, 5 miles straight up Snowdon from Llanberis and 5 miles back down. Entered this years and doing it in July. First time I've felt nervous before pushing the Enter button 😁

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 21:07 - Mar 26 with 2405 viewsdickythorpe

Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 20:31 - Mar 26 by Bournedore

Sister in law has neuroendocrine cancer and the wife and I have signed up to do a 3 peaks challenge in the summer to raise some money for her charity - not especially looking forward to it but will feel great afterwards I’m sure!

Put a link up here for sponsorship. Good luck to you all.
Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 21:13 - Mar 26 with 2397 viewsPacemaker

Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 20:10 - Mar 26 by dickythorpe

Strong arms needn't mean massive biceps like the modern roid head you see with guns bursting out of ill fitting t shirts etc.
The pressing movements like bench press and shoulder press will develop strength in those arms.
I played against guys who were ridiculously muscular but put them in a maul and they could never get the ball off the players who trained sensibly and all major body parts.
Too many people see the bicep as the "vanity" muscle, and just concentrate on that.
I do not have big guns but I wouldn't swap them with anyone, I know exactly how to train them for strength directly and indirectly.

I played against Clive Burgess in the early 80's he could rip the ball off any pack of forwards on his own. Strongest flanker I ever played against and I have played with and against some strong guys who were farmers, miners and steelworkers not gym honed strength but natural heavy work strength.

He had no definition was round shouldered and as strong as fk.

Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 21:42 - Mar 26 with 2374 viewsswan85

Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 18:24 - Mar 26 by Pacemaker

I have entered the Tour of Pembrokeshire 85 mile sportive in 7 weeks, really tough route but a beautiful area this will be my fifth year. I barely got around first time but kind of enjoy it now.

I have a couple of other Sportives and a 200 mile charity ride from Brecon to the National Arboretum Memorial at Tamworth. Very emotional but worthwhile.

I have found that riding for a charity and raising sponsorship forces me to train and get out there.

For those looking to get fit/lose weight etc in 2011/12 I was 40 waist 20 odd stone with a wrecked back and knees from a bad sporting past. I also had a Pacemaker fitted after an electrical issue with my heart. I have never been as fit and strong as I am now and approaching my 60's I love cycling walking and just getting outside. My commute is 42 miles round trip and I slowly built up to going it a few days a week.

If I can do it so can anyone and people like Jackfath and Phil S are shining examples of people with busy lives and young families getting out there and doing it.

You will find a lot of support on here from even the strangest sources.

Fair play to you my friend, I feel hopeless now with my commute challenge. You sound like a good inspiration, I am away on hols with my young family just said to my mrs I am going to lose 1 and half stone. It starts now............!
Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 22:09 - Mar 26 with 2352 viewsmax936

Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 21:13 - Mar 26 by Pacemaker

I played against Clive Burgess in the early 80's he could rip the ball off any pack of forwards on his own. Strongest flanker I ever played against and I have played with and against some strong guys who were farmers, miners and steelworkers not gym honed strength but natural heavy work strength.

He had no definition was round shouldered and as strong as fk.

Brian Williams is another classic example, sadly passed now though, but he was amazingly strong for his size.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 22:18 - Mar 26 with 2335 viewsmax936

I can lose weight by training and dieting, but my problem is sustaining that regime, the food becomes boring and monotonous, we bought the Joe Wick book the other week its got some great menu's in it, but life's been a bit up and down lately so been unable to get a plan together planned to do an hr on exercise bike tonight, but got home late, so ate late, tomorrow it is then I told myself

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 22:19 - Mar 26 with 2332 viewsPacemaker

Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 21:42 - Mar 26 by swan85

Fair play to you my friend, I feel hopeless now with my commute challenge. You sound like a good inspiration, I am away on hols with my young family just said to my mrs I am going to lose 1 and half stone. It starts now............!

If you really want to do it, the only person who can stop it from happening is you.

Set yourself a small target first, achieve that target then move onto next target, make something positive happen as a result of your hard work. Cut down on your bad habits beer chocolate etc save the money and spend it on something that gives you joy. Even if that means giving it away to a charity or something. If you can get yourself a training partner you will always feel like going because neither of you will want to let the other down.

I started off riding up Afan Argoed cycle path, first about 5 miles at a time before I could do the whole trip from my house which was about 21 miles and took me about 1.5 hrs- 2 hrs. I slowly got fitter and lost weight. My commute was initially 18 miles each way from Baglan to Bridgend IndEst. I began trying to do it on the weekend until I was sure I could do it in about 1.5 hrs each way and then began to do it once or twice a week. This made a massive difference to my fitness.

I then started doing charity rides, Gower Bike Ride etc. My mate suggested we do the Carten 100 Cardiff to Tenby in a day. I was about 18 stone it nearly killed me but I did it even after my mate pulled out.

I now ride with a couple of mates every weekend and I have encouraged a few colleagues to start cycling all of whom are enjoying it. I have even got my Mrs riding and she was terrified after falling off as a child.

Your commute is your first challenge, the next is up to you!

Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 10:06 - Mar 27 with 2259 viewsTheFranchise

Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 19:48 - Mar 26 by Scotia

I've just finished my first CrossFit open after training for six months. Got a couple of half marathons lined up over the summer and the castles relay. Can't wait.

He said sport :)

Good luck with the half marathons though.
Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 10:16 - Mar 27 with 2257 viewsLeonWasGod

Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 22:19 - Mar 26 by Pacemaker

If you really want to do it, the only person who can stop it from happening is you.

Set yourself a small target first, achieve that target then move onto next target, make something positive happen as a result of your hard work. Cut down on your bad habits beer chocolate etc save the money and spend it on something that gives you joy. Even if that means giving it away to a charity or something. If you can get yourself a training partner you will always feel like going because neither of you will want to let the other down.

I started off riding up Afan Argoed cycle path, first about 5 miles at a time before I could do the whole trip from my house which was about 21 miles and took me about 1.5 hrs- 2 hrs. I slowly got fitter and lost weight. My commute was initially 18 miles each way from Baglan to Bridgend IndEst. I began trying to do it on the weekend until I was sure I could do it in about 1.5 hrs each way and then began to do it once or twice a week. This made a massive difference to my fitness.

I then started doing charity rides, Gower Bike Ride etc. My mate suggested we do the Carten 100 Cardiff to Tenby in a day. I was about 18 stone it nearly killed me but I did it even after my mate pulled out.

I now ride with a couple of mates every weekend and I have encouraged a few colleagues to start cycling all of whom are enjoying it. I have even got my Mrs riding and she was terrified after falling off as a child.

Your commute is your first challenge, the next is up to you!

An inspiring few post there Pacey. I've dropped way off fitness and it's hard to get back on the bike (figuratively and literally). Staring again it always seems like it's hard to see the wood for the trees. Your head remembers that you should be able to do a 50 miler, but your body complains at 10. So it's easier to give up and go to the pub, which is pretty much the stage I'm at now.

I know it's obvious and simple advice, but sometimes it helps to be remembered, so thanks.
Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 13:28 - Mar 27 with 2218 viewsSirjohnalot

I'd recommend parkrun. Free 5k events all over the country. Fantastic ones in Neath, Swansea, Llanelli, Bryn Bach.

No pressure, runners of all abilities and it's truly about taking part.

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/events/events/

I'm up in the North West, there's loads up here. Love it, really helps with my running
Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 16:59 - Apr 2 with 2118 viewsPhil_S

Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 13:12 - Mar 26 by BlasterJack

Qualification for the Welsh Castles Relay should be top of your list!!!

And the ballot gods were generous - castles here I come..

And you too I believe...!
Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 17:28 - Apr 2 with 2106 viewsmonmouth

Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 13:28 - Mar 27 by Sirjohnalot

I'd recommend parkrun. Free 5k events all over the country. Fantastic ones in Neath, Swansea, Llanelli, Bryn Bach.

No pressure, runners of all abilities and it's truly about taking part.

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/events/events/

I'm up in the North West, there's loads up here. Love it, really helps with my running

Thanks for that. There’s a couple nearish to me that I never knew about.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 17:30 - Apr 2 with 2100 viewsPhil_S

Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 17:28 - Apr 2 by monmouth

Thanks for that. There’s a couple nearish to me that I never knew about.

Parkruns are great - well organised and free to enter. Done the Gnoll a few times bt if away for the weekend will always look to see if there is something local
Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 14:29 - Apr 3 with 2038 viewsSTID2017

Personal sporting goals and targets for the remainder of the year on 17:30 - Apr 2 by Phil_S

Parkruns are great - well organised and free to enter. Done the Gnoll a few times bt if away for the weekend will always look to see if there is something local

How is your steps / weightloss thingy going Phil ?

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024