Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jordan Garrick - U23s 13:14 - Apr 5 with 10175 views34dfgdf54

What's the score with this lad? Just seen he's up for nomination in the U23 Premier League player of the month.

Not heard his name mentioned before, and can't see him on the official site either. Is he any good?
Jordan Garrick - U23s on 13:37 - Apr 6 with 3567 viewsKilkennyjack

Jordan Garrick - U23s on 09:20 - Apr 6 by waynekerr55

U23 football is about developing one or two first teamers every couple of years. It's not about winning games and being the best team.

Correct.

Developing them, not buying them.

We have produced nobody since Ben in 2012.
Its embarressing how far back we have gone.

Roberts must be a player to get through.
Nobody else has come close.

Beware of the Risen People

Jordan Garrick - U23s on 15:12 - Apr 6 with 3528 viewsAl_Bundy

Too many ageing bed blockers in the first team squad. Hopefully sense will prevail very soon.
Jordan Garrick - U23s on 15:12 - Apr 6 with 3528 viewsJoshTheJack

The U23s are playing tonight,I should imagine he'll be playing.

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/live-today-swans-u23s-v-brighton-u23s
Jordan Garrick - U23s on 15:49 - Apr 6 with 3506 viewshobo

From what I've seen of him he's quick and not much else. Baker-Richardson, and to a lesser degree, Biabi, have never impressed me any time I've seen them. Why we brought them in I've no idea, as they are hardly young in relative terms.
Jordan Garrick - U23s on 22:34 - Apr 6 with 3441 viewsSwans68

Jordan Garrick - U23s on 15:17 - Apr 5 by theloneranger

Joe Rodon found out the difference between the U23's and league football when he came up against the "Beast" in Akinfenwa, when playing on loan for Cheltenham against Wycombe in Feb.

Akinfenwa gave him such a beating in the first half, Joe was taken off at half time.

It's something the up and coming youngsters used to get playing reserve team football years ago, playing against seasoned pro's, especially when the Swans had a team in the Welsh league. There was nowhere to hide 😂

Absolute bullshit! I understand that he gave Akinfenwa as good as he got! Manager changed formation at ht from 5 at back to a 4. Joe being the youngest and non permanent Cheltenham Town player was the cb sacrificed!
Jordan Garrick - U23s on 00:11 - Apr 7 with 3387 viewstheloneranger

Wrong,

Craig Mackail-Smith and Akinfenwa gave the Cheltenham defence a torrid time in the first half and Wycombe went in 2-0 up at half-time.

Yes Gary Johnson did go to 4 at the back in the 2nd half, taking 2 players off, incl Joe, but Joe did have a torrid time against Akinfenwa.

There's no disrespect to Joe, more experienced defenders have a problem with Akinfenwa, but Joe will have learnt more in those 45 minutes, than what he'll learn continually playing U23 football
[Post edited 7 Apr 2018 0:12]

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Jordan Garrick - U23s on 08:30 - Apr 7 with 3296 viewsswanforthemoney

The money spent on the development setup would be better spent on proper scouting.

I stand in the North Stand

Jordan Garrick - U23s on 08:34 - Apr 7 with 3293 viewsJango

Jordan Garrick - U23s on 19:46 - Apr 5 by jasper_T

Would Routledge?

Probably not, he shouldn’t be anywhere near the team either though. Routledge has had a decent career at the top though, Gorre never will.
Login to get fewer ads

Jordan Garrick - U23s on 14:32 - Apr 9 with 3211 viewsJackieMoon

I really dont get the disdain held towards the u23s players that have been brought in from different clubs and particularly those from Falkirk.

Kingsley played well when he got a chance and then sold for a fee far exceeding what we paid.
Fulton always gave a good account of himself and can feel hard done by that 'wonderkids' like sanches have forced him out on loan.
Blair and Biabi both had loans this season and making first team appearances and no doubt will be on loan somewhere next season to then most likely move on and bring in a small fee.

The relatively pitance spent on taking a chance on these is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Other teams such as Man City even use this as a business model buying youngsters then selling them on at premium such as guys like Mooy at Huddersfield. People suggest this should be used on local lads, well it is on those who are good enough, or it should be used on scouting, which we know will unearth 'gems' like Borja, Mesa etc. Clucas was signed for £16 million and is probably on £40-50k a week off of 1 season in the PL. If one of these guys have that same breakthrough then they have paid for the entire academy for a couple of years alone.
Jordan Garrick - U23s on 15:06 - Apr 9 with 3192 viewsjasper_T

Jordan Garrick - U23s on 14:32 - Apr 9 by JackieMoon

I really dont get the disdain held towards the u23s players that have been brought in from different clubs and particularly those from Falkirk.

Kingsley played well when he got a chance and then sold for a fee far exceeding what we paid.
Fulton always gave a good account of himself and can feel hard done by that 'wonderkids' like sanches have forced him out on loan.
Blair and Biabi both had loans this season and making first team appearances and no doubt will be on loan somewhere next season to then most likely move on and bring in a small fee.

The relatively pitance spent on taking a chance on these is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Other teams such as Man City even use this as a business model buying youngsters then selling them on at premium such as guys like Mooy at Huddersfield. People suggest this should be used on local lads, well it is on those who are good enough, or it should be used on scouting, which we know will unearth 'gems' like Borja, Mesa etc. Clucas was signed for £16 million and is probably on £40-50k a week off of 1 season in the PL. If one of these guys have that same breakthrough then they have paid for the entire academy for a couple of years alone.

Ryan Blair can't get in our u23s side. He's 22, cost six figures and is half the player Jack Evans is.

Biabi cost a similar stupid amount and scored 0 in 5 appearances for Hamilton this season. I wouldn't be waiting by the phone for offers.

They looked bad signings at the time and have proven to be just that.
Jordan Garrick - U23s on 15:14 - Apr 9 with 3183 viewsLoyal

Ryan Blair is a prime example of Huw Jenkins laziness and proof he shouldn't be anywhere near this type of thing.
17 apoearances in 4 years and none for Swansea 1st team.
Now at falkirk on loan and not playing there either.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Jordan Garrick - U23s on 16:23 - Apr 9 with 3155 viewsJackieMoon

Jordan Garrick - U23s on 15:06 - Apr 9 by jasper_T

Ryan Blair can't get in our u23s side. He's 22, cost six figures and is half the player Jack Evans is.

Biabi cost a similar stupid amount and scored 0 in 5 appearances for Hamilton this season. I wouldn't be waiting by the phone for offers.

They looked bad signings at the time and have proven to be just that.

Ryan Blair played nearly every game I believe outside injuries last season. Broke his foot first game this season against Liverpool and missed nearly whole first half of season.

From what i've seen far more accomplished player than Jack Evans is, who couldnt get in the team for Blair when he was fit.

As for Loyal comment, from the loan updates he has started i think 4 of last 5 games when on loan. As we know, clubs dont seem to want to play young guys on loan as they would rather develop their own.
Jordan Garrick - U23s on 16:52 - Apr 9 with 3133 viewsBillyChong

Jordan Garrick - U23s on 11:19 - Apr 6 by Dippy

This is not the point.. many have left the Swans, been well paid.. yet struggle to make a mark in the WPL or Senior football.

Years and years in an academy who struggle against joe bloggs the 9-5 five day roofer on Saturday and Sunday.

There seem to be quite a few in the Welsh Premier at the moment. Noticed Demetriou playing for Barry the other day. We signed him from Forest.
Jordan Garrick - U23s on 17:47 - Apr 9 with 3107 viewsKilkennyjack

Jordan Garrick - U23s on 16:52 - Apr 9 by BillyChong

There seem to be quite a few in the Welsh Premier at the moment. Noticed Demetriou playing for Barry the other day. We signed him from Forest.

Well thats staggering.

We think a player has premier league potential at 18.
In reality his limit is WPL.

We may as well fecking guess.

I much prefer a hard work approach focused on young welsh talent.
Worked for Jazz, joe, and ben.

Our Academy is yet to produce a regular Swans first team player. Not one.

Jordan Garrick - U23s on 18:43 - Apr 9 with 3079 viewsLoyal

Jordan Garrick - U23s on 16:23 - Apr 9 by JackieMoon

Ryan Blair played nearly every game I believe outside injuries last season. Broke his foot first game this season against Liverpool and missed nearly whole first half of season.

From what i've seen far more accomplished player than Jack Evans is, who couldnt get in the team for Blair when he was fit.

As for Loyal comment, from the loan updates he has started i think 4 of last 5 games when on loan. As we know, clubs dont seem to want to play young guys on loan as they would rather develop their own.

Not sure about u23 games, but to be his age and only have 17 or so professional games is not good.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2018 18:46]

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Jordan Garrick - U23s on 18:49 - Apr 9 with 3070 viewsjasper_T

Jordan Garrick - U23s on 16:52 - Apr 9 by BillyChong

At least he was a free transfer. Here less than two years to make up the numbers back when Kenji Gorre was the only half-decent player in the u21s.
Jordan Garrick - U23s on 19:14 - Apr 9 with 3052 viewsPrivate_Partz

Jordan Garrick - U23s on 13:37 - Apr 6 by Kilkennyjack

Correct.

Developing them, not buying them.

We have produced nobody since Ben in 2012.
Its embarressing how far back we have gone.

Roberts must be a player to get through.
Nobody else has come close.

If we had a crack recruitment team with wordwide contacts then I think we could scrap the whole academy.
Just have a squad of about 20 first teamers so we can rotate.
If we find the wannabees up the road have anyone coming through their system then we just click our fingers and the player comes running.
Academy's just ain't worth the time and effort for a club like ours I am very sad to say.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Jordan Garrick - U23s on 19:27 - Apr 9 with 3041 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Jordan Garrick - U23s on 19:14 - Apr 9 by Private_Partz

If we had a crack recruitment team with wordwide contacts then I think we could scrap the whole academy.
If we find the wannabees up the road have anyone coming through their system then we just click our fingers and the player comes running.
Academy's just ain't worth the time and effort for a club like ours I am very sad to say.

But it isn't just for the club is it?
Isn't it about giving something back to the community by providing local youngsters with a chance at big time football
Jordan Garrick - U23s on 20:14 - Apr 9 with 3015 viewsexiledinenglandjack

Jordan Garrick - U23s on 19:14 - Apr 9 by Private_Partz

That's Brentfords model, played it's part in us getting alfie
Jordan Garrick - U23s on 21:39 - Apr 9 with 2969 viewsPrivate_Partz

Jordan Garrick - U23s on 19:27 - Apr 9 by A_Fans_Dad

Isn't it about giving something back to the community by providing local youngsters with a chance at big time football

I agree, hence my sadness.
To compete at this level we need all the expertise and money we can to do it.
It seemed a good idea to me at the time but it isn't paying its way as it is not delivering the players.
If we get relegated in a downward spiral there will be nothing anyway as it will be the first to go as we cut back on costs.
I hope I am wrong and the system starts delivering in the next couple of seasons but it may be too late by then.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Jordan Garrick - U23s on 22:15 - Apr 9 with 2959 viewsKilkennyjack

Jordan Garrick - U23s on 19:27 - Apr 9 by A_Fans_Dad

Yes - You would like to think its both.

Buying in 8 or 9 ready made young players from Scotland, for example, simply crushes the local talent angle.

So ...we produced current internationals Jazz, Ben, and Joey with no money under Alan Curtis, therefore with Premiership riches and investment we must do even better right ? Wrong.

Its a monument to failure.... unless players start to hit the first team on a regular basis. I wish it was very different. But sticking our heads in the sand is not going to help anyone.

Piss poor performance.

Jordan Garrick - U23s on 22:32 - Apr 9 with 2952 viewsjasper_T

Jordan Garrick - U23s on 22:15 - Apr 9 by Kilkennyjack

Yes - You would like to think its both.

Buying in 8 or 9 ready made young players from Scotland, for example, simply crushes the local talent angle.

So ...we produced current internationals Jazz, Ben, and Joey with no money under Alan Curtis, therefore with Premiership riches and investment we must do even better right ? Wrong.

Its a monument to failure.... unless players start to hit the first team on a regular basis. I wish it was very different. But sticking our heads in the sand is not going to help anyone.

Piss poor performance.

I just being current internationals is your marker for success we've had Roberts and Hedges come through.

First team in the Premier League is a much higher hurdle, though. Doing it in one jump like Ben Davies did was remarkable and required no small helping of good luck (sorry, Neil).
Jordan Garrick - U23s on 00:04 - Apr 10 with 2929 viewsKilkennyjack

Jordan Garrick - U23s on 22:32 - Apr 9 by jasper_T

I just being current internationals is your marker for success we've had Roberts and Hedges come through.

First team in the Premier League is a much higher hurdle, though. Doing it in one jump like Ben Davies did was remarkable and required no small helping of good luck (sorry, Neil).

Hedges was brought in at 16 from north wales.

All 3 i mentioned have played regularly at premier league level (jazz less so), unfair to compare Roberts at this very early stage as he is not yet even a Swans first pick.

My point stands, by any measure we are not doing as well as we should be for the big money invested.?

Jordan Garrick - U23s on 14:55 - Apr 11 with 2805 viewsglanmorjak

I think when one compares the amount of cash we throw at the academy in comparison to other clubs, the bottom line for those rational amongst us, is how long before we should expect a return from our investment. A bit more difficult to get a return for a PL club than a Football League club however.

We have had a grade 1 academy for 2 seasons and even the most blinkered amongst us have to admit that there is a higher quality of players now coming through the system now than what there were 2 years ago. Youngsters from the U16's are regularly playing for the U18's while results for both the U18's and U23's this season show both teams to be holding their own in 4th place in their relevant league.

No comparison can be made between Ryan Blair and Jack Evans, totally different midfielders while, for many who watched Ben Davies during the club’s reserve league in the first season of the PL, there was nothing to choose between him and Joe Walsh, with both players alternating between left side c/back or left back in matches. Ben got lucky when Taylor was injured and best of luck to him.

The Falkirk scenario when the likes of Fulton, Kingsley, Biabi, Blair and Hearts midfielder King were signed was a decision that didn’t result in top quality players for the PL, but what can be said is that the club made a profit for the Kingsley deal to Hull and no doubt they will make money should they offload Fulton.

James Demetriou had problems off the field with gambling during his first season with us, made just 4 appearances during season 2014/15 for the U23’s and didn’t play another game for the club, released in May 2016 after earlier playing a couple of matches for non-league Wealdstone. Earlier this season he was playing for Bangor City.

After a handful of games in the U23’s keeper Steven Benda at the age of 19 is a better prospect for the first team than Zabret who was given an extended contract earlier this season at the age off 22, or even Lewis Thomas.

The huge comparison which should be made as far as the academy is concerned is that when youngsters are released they are far more likely to be still in the professional scene than in previous seasons. There is a large amount of talent in our current U23’s, sadly not for the first team, but the quality is increasing as the scouting system becomes more efficient and better quality schoolboys are signed.

2 seasons ago Henry Jones was the ‘star’ player in our U21 side and after his release he had a season at Bangor City and is now a bit part player in the Conference for AFC Fylde.
Jordan Garrick - U23s on 15:19 - Apr 11 with 2789 viewshobo

What happened to Kyle Copp? Anyone got any inside knowledge on him? Was lauded for years as our next big thing
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024