Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U'sual Champions League 2020 - Quarter-finals 14:41 - Aug 9 with 2417 viewswessex_exile

First off, the U'sual Champions League qualifiers for Groups 1 and 2 are as follows:

The format for the Champions League has had to be altered because of the coronavirus pandemic, and all quarter-finals will be played as one-off matches, there will be no second-legs. Needless to say, matches will go to extra-time and even penalties if necessary, to ensure there is a result after each game. All matches will be hosted at a neutral ground, in this instance at Lisbon in Portugal, and will kick-off at 8pm on consecutive nights starting Wednesday 12th August.

The matches to predict are therefore as follows:
12th August 2010: Atalanta v PSG
13th August 2020: RB Leipzig v Atletico Madrid
14th August 2020: Barcelona v Bayern Munich
15th August 2020: Man City v Lyon

Predictions will be based on the result at the end of normal time, extra-time and/or penalties will not count. As always, you can only exact match one score prediction with each member of your qualifying group.

With so few points available, for this season I have introduced two new predictions for this round.

1) Choose two goal-scorers for each match, only one of whom can have already been chosen by anyone else in your group. You will receive a bonus point for every goal they score (including own-goals should it happen). Technically, this does allow all members of a group to chose the same goal-scorer, so long as none of your second choices match.

2) For a tie-break, please predict the minute for the first substitution in the last match (Man City v Lyon). If there are no substitutions during normal time the winner will be closest to zero. Half-time substitutions will be counted as the 46th minute, and substitutions in extra-time will be counted as either 45 minutes or 90 minutes. Obviously competitors cannot predict the same minute for a tie-break.

I will monitor predictions and advise if amendments are needed, but please be aware that life sometimes gets in the way, and I cannot guarantee how promptly I may spot if changes are required. If competitors prefer, you may PM me your predictions, which I will only reveal once all competitors in a group have submitted valid predictions. At that point, all predictions will be locked - no further amendments allowed.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

U'sual Champions League 2020 - Quarter-finals on 19:48 - Aug 12 with 658 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League 2020 - Quarter-finals on 19:34 - Aug 12 by wessex_exile

For other competitors, I have a valid score prediction (2-1) and one goalscorer (Neymar) from sevebalo via FB Messenger for tonights match, just awaiting clarification on the second goalscorer.

Okay, we have a full set for tonight, sevebalo's second goalscorer is Mbappe - game on!

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2020 - Quarter-finals on 00:52 - Aug 13 with 636 viewswessex_exile

A very late twist in the tail (tale?), which changes things somewhat. Update to follow in the morning.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2020 - Quarter-finals on 11:40 - Aug 13 with 626 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League 2020 - Quarter-finals on 00:52 - Aug 13 by wessex_exile

A very late twist in the tail (tale?), which changes things somewhat. Update to follow in the morning.

So, I won't post full tables, as it's a lot of effort for just one match - I'll do that after tonights game when we're halfway through, but here's a summary for each group.

Group 1
This was the group that strongly favoured an Atalanta home win, and on 90 minutes most were probably already celebrating a narrow 1-0 home victory. That was before PSG popped up in injury-time to net twice and snatch a 2-1 victory. Goals were scored by Pasalic, Marquinhos and Choupo-Moting - not familiar household names I suspect, and none of them were predicted goal-scorers. So, as things stand the group is lead by noah4x4 with a solitary point for the PSG away win, with everyone else on zero for now.

Group 2
Group 2 is very much the complete opposite of Group 1. On 90 minutes there wasn't a point being scored, and by full-time everyone was off the mark. Leading the group is Lewis_1, who got the result absolutely spot-on for three points. BFG, blueeagle and concordman all had the away win as an outcome for one point each. As with Group 1, no one predicted any of the goal-scorers

I currently have the following predictions from sevebalo for tonight - Leipzig 2 Atletico Madrid 1, and just a solitary goalscorer at the moment (Costa). The score prediction will need to be changed (but not to 0-1) and one more goalscorer required (which can't be Llorente, Werner, Morata, Schick or Felix). Costa is okay as the first goalscorer though.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2020 - Quarter-finals on 17:55 - Aug 14 with 584 viewswessex_exile

Mid-point of the Champions League quarter-finals, with PSG and RB Leipzig already through. The last two matches are tonight and tomorrow night, so time for a quick round-up of how the U'sual Champions League teams are doing as well. The first overall observation, which is quite remarkable, is that despite providing two goalscorer prediction slots to increase potential scoring options, no one so far from 32 attempts has found a single goalscorer - and it's not as if the predictions are outrageously optimistic - all perfectly viable sensible choices. Maybe the next two matches might change that?

Group 1

After the first match noah4x4 led the group with a solitary point, but things are starting to liven up a bit now. Thrillseeker moves to the top of the group, getting Leipzig's 2-1 home win spot-on, to move ahead of noah4x4, who holds on to the second qualification spot. No points yet for basher2010 and sevebalo - particularly harsh on sevebalo who also predicted last nights' 2-1 result, but it was his second match with thrillseeker and couldn't therefore be counted. Sevebalo also needs to register a valid prediction for tonights match (can't be 2-1 or 1-3), otherwise he's just relying on Messi scoring a hatful.

Group 2

By comparison with Group 1, Group 2 has seen a flurry of activity over the two matches so far. The most significant of which is Lewis_1, who storms to the top of the group predicting both results so far absolutely spot-on. Blueeagle keeps him on his toes, also getting last nights' result spot-on. Concordman (2pts from both outcomes) and BFG (1pt from PSG's away win) are certainly keeping themselves in contention for semi-final qualification.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2020 - Quarter-finals on 22:03 - Aug 14 with 575 viewsnoah4x4

Should be a public enquiry into tonights match. 2- 8!
U'sual Champions League 2020 - Quarter-finals on 23:15 - Aug 14 with 567 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League 2020 - Quarter-finals on 22:03 - Aug 14 by noah4x4

Should be a public enquiry into tonights match. 2- 8!

I know, quite unexpected - but finally some goalscorer bonuses to spread around - update tomorrow, as I currently have to fix my spreadsheet which never imagined that as a possible score.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2020 - Quarter-finals on 11:45 - Aug 15 with 551 viewswessex_exile

So, Bayern Munich progress through to the semi-finals, smashing a dreadful Barcelona 8-2, and even going to the trouble of scoring nine of the ten goals. To describe Barcelona's performance as akin to a Dog and Duck XI does a disservice to Dog and Duck XI's throughout the land. This created a bit of a headache for me, as my original quarterfinal spreadsheet only catered for six goalscorers per match, so much of yesterday evening and this morning has been spent adding rows, correcting formulas etc.

Still, done now, so without further ado, here's an update with just the Man City v Lyon match tonight to go.

Group 1

Remarkably, with so many goalscorer points available, not much has really changed in Group 1. Thrillseeker has consolidated his lead at the top of the group, correctly predicting the Bayern Munich away win (technically, his 1-3 prediction was also closest to the actual score), and picking up two points for goals by Gnabry and Lewandowski. Noah4x4 missed out on the outcome, but did get a point for Suarez's goal - the only one scored by a Barcelona player last night - to keep second place on two points. Unfortunately, sevebalo had not registered a valid prediction before kick-off, so misses out there, and also with Messi as his only goalscorer prediction. Similarly, basher2010 also missed out on all scoring opportunities, to remain level third with sevebalo on zero points.

Group 2

There was plenty of activity in Group 2, with Lewis_1 also picking up a point for Suarez's consolation goal, to stay top of the group on seven points. Blueeagle closed the gap however, with both the away win outcome and Lewandowski's contribution to the goal-fest. Performance of the night has to go to BFG, languishing last with a solitary point before yesterday's kick-off, but storms through with four points for the outcome and goals by Muller (x2) and Gnabry. Now a very close third on five points, he moves ahead of concordman on three points, who correctly predicted yesterday's outcome, but couldn't find a goalscorer.

I am aware sevebalo is out of the country, but if you can read this chap, you still have one goalscorer prediction to make for tonight, and it can't be De Bruyne, Jesus, Foden or Mahrez - and I also need a first substitution minute for the tie-break.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2020 - Quarter-finals on 17:06 - Aug 16 with 509 viewswessex_exile

And so we come to the end of the quarter-finals of the Champions League, with Lyon too good for Man City, beating them comfortably 3-1 to progress through to the semi-finals. With the new season virtually in sight, these matches are coming thick and fast, with the one-off semi-final matches on Tuesday and Wednesday of next week.

So, without further ado, here's how the U'sual Champions League quarter-finals finished.

Group 1

Very little change from the table after three of the four matches. Thrillseeker missed out on any points last night, but had still done enough to finish comfortably top of the group on six points. Noah4x4 gave it his best shot to catch thrillseeker, picking up another point for De Bruyne's goal that temporarily gave Man City hope. This put him on three points, and in the second semi-final qualification slot. Unfortunately neither sevebalo nor basher2010 could find even a crumb of comfort from their quarter-final predictions, and fail to qualify. Technically, as sevebalo had not registered a tie-break prediction, basher2010 finishes 3rd and sevebalo 4th.

Group 2

This one really went to the wire, with a three-way race for qualification and BFG, Lewis_1 and blueeagle all finishing on seven points. The first qualification slot goes to Lewis_1, top of the group with two spot-on results, closely followed in the second qualification slot by blueeagle with one spot-on result. Commiserations must go to BFG, who scored heavily over the last two matches to move from last to joint first, helped last night by Dembele's brace, but without any spot-on results unfortunately misses out on qualification by the narrowest of margins. As for concordman, he must count himself unlucky to be in a group scoring so well - 3pts in Group 1 would have seen him through on the tie-break.

Congratulations to all who have qualified for the semi-finals, and commiserations to those who go no further. I will open predictions for the semi-finals in another thread.

Up the U's

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024