Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Weather 19:40 - Aug 12 with 4500 viewsCountyJim

We really are the laughing stock of Europe

We have a week of sun believe it or not it's summer but the press are moaning the farmers are moaning but you can't please a farmer can you if it's to feckin wet they moan

Europe get summers like this every year

Just enjoy it next week it's going to rain and then it will be the wrong type of rain FFS

You listen to the older generation every summer the sun never set in summer and every Christmas it snowed they don't half talk some bollox
Weather on 20:43 - Aug 12 with 2750 viewsDr_Winston

Yes, Europe get Summers like this every year, therefore their cultures, architecture and general lifestyle are prepared for it. The UK does not get Summers like this every year, hence the problems.

It's like the people who compare the UK's reaction to snow to elsewhere in the World. It's easy to prepare for snow if you know that you're going to get six feet of it every Winter. If you only get six inches every four years or so, then it's going to cause some problems.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Weather on 20:50 - Aug 12 with 2738 viewsCatullus

Europe doesn't get summers like this every year though. On the news earlier, Italy is suffering, the river Po (which is the longest river over there) has run dry, well just read the story,

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jul/10/po-river-italy-drought-clima

And meanwhile, in Germany,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62519683

Even in Europe, they are not laughing at anyone, not even us.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2022 21:08]

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Weather on 21:06 - Aug 12 with 2724 viewsScotia

Weather on 20:50 - Aug 12 by Catullus

Europe doesn't get summers like this every year though. On the news earlier, Italy is suffering, the river Po (which is the longest river over there) has run dry, well just read the story,

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jul/10/po-river-italy-drought-clima

And meanwhile, in Germany,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62519683

Even in Europe, they are not laughing at anyone, not even us.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2022 21:08]

I've been back from Ibiza for a few days. Whilst it's noticibally cooler here there's not a massive amount in it.

In the late 90's I spent most of every summer in ibiza I've never experienced heat like it this year. High 30's at 10 pm. A bit uncomfortable really.
Weather on 21:37 - Aug 12 with 2690 viewsCatullus

Weather on 21:06 - Aug 12 by Scotia

I've been back from Ibiza for a few days. Whilst it's noticibally cooler here there's not a massive amount in it.

In the late 90's I spent most of every summer in ibiza I've never experienced heat like it this year. High 30's at 10 pm. A bit uncomfortable really.

It's 24 degrees here right now (Skewen) but it feels warmer. last night it was several degrees cooler by now, I'm sweating just sitting here, it's more like being in Greece! I'm not complaining mind, I've spent enough time working outdoors freezing my nuts off, I don't mind getting sweaty instead!

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Weather on 00:57 - Aug 13 with 2637 viewsCountyJim

100 years since it's been this dry

These things happen in summer sometimes it's just nature
Weather on 07:51 - Aug 13 with 2594 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Europe us suffering just as badly as the UK if not worse. Norway, France and Spain have seen a 40% reduction in hydroelectric output as their reservoirs dry up. Half of Frances nuclear power stations are off line either due to maintenance or rivers drying up and their waters unable to be used to cool the reactors. In Germany the higher reaches of the Rhine are drying up and water levels in the rest of the Rhine are nearing record low levels meanwhile difficulties in transporting goods. Germany has been trying to boost output from its coal power stations but can only deliver smaller loads via the river. It does not have spare capacity in its railways to deliver coal by train.

Wild fires are raging in France and Spain. I don't think Europe is laughing at us. Maybe just the usual anti British crowd in the UK.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Weather on 14:16 - Aug 13 with 2542 viewsCatullus

Weather on 00:57 - Aug 13 by CountyJim

100 years since it's been this dry

These things happen in summer sometimes it's just nature

That wasn't what you said originally though, was it? You said Europe was laughing at us. Europe isn't laughing, farmers are moaning, businessmen and women are moaning, governments are moaning and not just in Europe.

7 of the 10 hottest days in the last 100 years have been in the last 20 years, 2 others were in the 90's

Weather on 18:51 - Aug 13 with 2499 viewsCountyJim

Weather on 14:16 - Aug 13 by Catullus

That wasn't what you said originally though, was it? You said Europe was laughing at us. Europe isn't laughing, farmers are moaning, businessmen and women are moaning, governments are moaning and not just in Europe.

7 of the 10 hottest days in the last 100 years have been in the last 20 years, 2 others were in the 90's

That would happen we are still coming out of the last Ice age so it will get hotter
Login to get fewer ads

Weather on 20:56 - Aug 13 with 2451 viewsdemonk

It a taken 32 yrs to break the hottest day in wales
The record was in 1990. So we wait and see if it be broken next yr.
Weather on 21:18 - Aug 13 with 2441 viewsCatullus

Weather on 18:51 - Aug 13 by CountyJim

That would happen we are still coming out of the last Ice age so it will get hotter

Yes, the main point being though, Europe isn't laughing at us because they are suffering too. They really have nothing to laugh at,

https://www.news18.com/news/world/2022-sets-record-fire-activity-in-southwest-eu

PS, what if we're not coming out of an ice age?

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/heres-why-were-not-living-in-an-ice-ag

Weather on 21:43 - Aug 13 with 2422 viewsJack_Kass

It's hard to enjoy man made destruction of the planet but you do you.

Summers like this are here to stay and are likely to get even hotter, we don't have the infrastructure to deal with it, so cheers to that!

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

Weather on 21:54 - Aug 13 with 2416 viewsCatullus

Weather on 20:56 - Aug 13 by demonk

It a taken 32 yrs to break the hottest day in wales
The record was in 1990. So we wait and see if it be broken next yr.

In terms of our planets history, 32 years is a tiny, tiny fraction of a blink of an eye. It's 1:1,460,250,000, that's how many 32 year sections there are in our history. it's a tiny, tiny, tiny amount of time.

Mankind has caused massive damage to this planet in a few thousand years, we can't keep doing it.

Weather on 00:28 - Aug 14 with 2367 viewsKilkennyjack

Weather on 21:54 - Aug 13 by Catullus

In terms of our planets history, 32 years is a tiny, tiny fraction of a blink of an eye. It's 1:1,460,250,000, that's how many 32 year sections there are in our history. it's a tiny, tiny, tiny amount of time.

Mankind has caused massive damage to this planet in a few thousand years, we can't keep doing it.

👏🏾

Beware of the Risen People

Weather on 13:54 - Aug 14 with 2311 viewsCountyJim

Weather on 21:54 - Aug 13 by Catullus

I'd suggest that before man was on earth nature was causing massive issues such as volcanoes which still spue out all sorts of crap and still do
Weather on 13:58 - Aug 14 with 2308 viewsJack_Kass

Weather on 13:54 - Aug 14 by CountyJim

I'd suggest that before man was on earth nature was causing massive issues such as volcanoes which still spue out all sorts of crap and still do

What?

How can nature cause issues to itself?

The emissions from Volcanoes do not causing acceleration of the planets climate cycle

Weather on 14:01 - Aug 14 with 2305 viewsmajorraglan

That’s true, but the damage we’re causing is over and above any acts of Mother Nature.
Weather on 14:01 - Aug 14 with 2305 viewsCountyJim

Weather on 13:58 - Aug 14 by Jack_Kass

What?

The emissions from Volcanoes do not causing acceleration of the planets climate cycle

Oh right so it's totally harmless 🤣
Weather on 14:42 - Aug 14 with 2288 viewscontroversial_jack

Humans have added approx 1 part per 100,000 of co2 to the atmosphere.That's not going to to do anything to the climate
Weather on 15:03 - Aug 14 with 2283 viewsJack_Kass

Weather on 14:01 - Aug 14 by CountyJim

Oh right so it's totally harmless 🤣

Harmless to the earth and ecosystem yes, considering its a natural consequence of heat and tectonic movement.

Man has never created a volcano that repeats the process and contributes excess emissions.

Man has created many other things that put more emissions into the atmosphere

Weather on 15:05 - Aug 14 with 2280 viewsScotia

What?

Yes they are, and natural processes can cause massive damage to the planet.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2022 15:12]
Weather on 15:32 - Aug 14 with 2259 viewsJack_Kass

Weather on 15:05 - Aug 14 by Scotia

Yes they are, and natural processes can cause massive damage to the planet.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2022 15:12]

Nope.

You cannot compare the emissions of volcanic activity with man made equivalent, it's complete bonkers bunkum talk.

If it was a ratio it would be something like 75:1.

Weather on 15:55 - Aug 14 with 2246 viewsCatullus

What?

Sorry but almost 97% of the CO2 emitted is from natural sources. Not so much nature harming itself as a natural part of the cycle. But what we produce is above what nature does

Weather on 16:03 - Aug 14 with 2241 viewsCatullus

Right, what happens naturally will always happen, it's what mankind does over and above that which is the problem. We need volcanic activity, without it we'd be in trouble,

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/volcan

Though obviously too much and it's very destructive to everything on Earth.

That doesn't mean we can keep on concreting over nature, we can't keep polluting the seas and sending species extinct.
If we keep on destroying nature, it starts to fight back. Nature is much smarter than the majority of humans will ever be.

Weather on 16:14 - Aug 14 with 2232 viewsScotia

Weather on 15:32 - Aug 14 by Jack_Kass

Nope.

You cannot compare the emissions of volcanic activity with man made equivalent, it's complete bonkers bunkum talk.

If it was a ratio it would be something like 75:1.

75:1 is one too many, it upsets the entire balance. Especially when we're also destroying the parts of ecosystems that could mitigate our impacts.

Nature can and does destroy itself. When was the last time you saw a wooly mamoth strolling around the Gower? But nature also recovers over a few 100,000 years.

The problem is we're tipping the balance far quicker than nature ever has or will, and unless we stop the recovery won't happen.
Weather on 16:15 - Aug 14 with 2232 viewsJack_Kass

Weather on 15:55 - Aug 14 by Catullus

Sorry but almost 97% of the CO2 emitted is from natural sources. Not so much nature harming itself as a natural part of the cycle. But what we produce is above what nature does

Exactly, always liked the thinking of it as a shared budget.

If Nature spends 90% of the CO2 budget every year, that leaves man with 10% to manage

In 250 years we have gone from barely spending it, to spending it all and now to simply racking up massive debt.

Eventually the debt will be returned.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024