Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's just come up short against the Bees in entertaining game. 23:32 - Aug 25 with 491 viewsdurham_exile

Once again the U’s put on a much better performance on a Tuesday night than they did at the weekend. I think that we deserved an equaliser and the chance of penalties, but the Bees had just a little too much class and scored a killer second in the 92nd minute to land a home tie against Gillingham in Round Three.

But I was neither too disappointed nor disheartened by an excellent team effort.

I travelled down on Tuesday morning and arrived at my accommodation in Ipswich mid-afternoon. A66, A1 were all good and apart from some irritating roadworks on the A14 I arrived in good spirits and travelled the 17 miles to the ground arriving with 2 hours to spare. The club shop was open early and I managed to get my new home and away replica shirts plus some other goodies.

The fan zone was quiet and people were beginning to trickle into to the stadium concourse. Gates were opening which gave me plenty of time to put my purchases in the car and head for the food court. The cheeseburger was overcooked and consequently a little dry but the coffee was wet and warm.

The ground was filling slowly, I favour W2 where in line with the penalty area you get an excellent view and can watch the South Stand in all its glory plus the U’s attack this end in the second half.

The players were warming up and I checked the Team sheet (50p from the Club shop) against the programme. Because it was a cup tie they were £3 but still good value. 52 pages of news about the U’s, good feature on Brentford and interesting articles about Marley Marshall Miranda, the Academy and news about the Development squad. Notwithstanding the mixed views about programmes, I think that it will be a sad day if they disappear without trace.

It was fairly obvious that my 7,000 prediction was not going to materialise and in the end only 5,516 attended including probably no more than 1,000 from West London.

The surprise in WB selection was the omission of Hornby and inclusion of O’Hara. WB has suggested that he might play alternate keepers which I believe would be wrong. Choose a number one and stick with him. I am in no way criticising O’Hara but I expected to see Hornby between the sticks.

Six changes from the weekend 4,2,3,1.

O’Hara

Tchamadeu Eastman Dallison Kazeem

Skuse Marshall Miranda

Ashley Chilvers Newby

Akinde

Subs
Hornby Hannant Sears Coxe Tovide Chambers Clampin Nouble Owens

Big John was given the full 96 minutes.

Thomas Frank lined up making 11 changes from the weekend defeat to Fulham 4,2,3,1.

Strakosha

Roerslev M Jorgen Bech Sar Stevens

Onueka Janelt

Lewis-Potter Baptiste Damsgaard

Dervisoglu

Subs
Dasilva Ghoddos Toney Wissa Trevitt Hickey Jensen Cox

At Kick Off the South Stand was virtually full. Noah was stuck in Traffic after his Cricket duties. The support was magnificent, however.

The pitch was in good condition and in no way a sticky surface. Temperature was still about 24 degrees Celsius and it was a dry warm night.

Colchester started brightly and had created three decent chances in the first few minutes. Chilvers and Skuse and Newby all had openings.

Now the difference between Premier League players and League Two apart from skill level is time on the ball. Brentford made sure that they didn’t rush their passes and played attractive passing movements. But so did we.

Tchamadeu and Kazeem linked up well with their further advanced colleagues. Marshall Miranda and Skuse played just ahead of the defence but it was Newby who stood out above the rest. He controlled the midfield and his football was intelligent and his passing sure and accurate.

He was unlucky early doors with an effort that went just wide.

I thought that Ashley and Chilvers were quiet but Chilvers dead ball play was very good. At Stockport recently Chilvers was also quiet and I know that it is rumoured that an offer is not far away but we must resist. He is needed this season to get us in apposition to challenge for the promotion spots.

Big John Akinde was winning the ball in the air but his mobility is a problem when the ball is on the deck.

It was ironic that Brentford took the lead against the run of play. Baptiste who has earlier fluffed his lines when through on goal but allowed O’Hara to fall on the ball and grab it away from him made no mistake in the 39th minute when he slid through an inch perfect pass to Lewis-Potter who calmly netted past O’Hara. Brentford fans rose from their slumbers and sang “You’re not singing anymore” but frankly the South Stand sang throughout the game.

In truth the difference between the two sides was that one slick pass which led to the goal. We battled superbly and Frank was agitated on the touchline.

Half Time and a narrow lead for the Premier side. The only change for the U’s at Half Time was Chambers on for Eastman. Tactical perhaps because Tom didn’t look injured.

Attractive approach play didn’t challenge O’Hara too much and we worked tremendously hard to create openings. Brentford for all their 1-0 lead didn’t sing and Frank looked for changes. Onyeka went off on 56 minutes replaced by Ghoddos.
Kazeem who I thought was slightly overawed second half fouled Roerslev and was booked. He injured himself and was replaced shortly afterwards by Clampin on 64 minutes. Owens came on for Ashley at the same time. I thought Ashley was too quiet and looked out of his depth.

A minute later Frank made two more changes Dasilva and Wissa for Roerslev and Damsgaard. Frank was to go on and make two more regular first team, changes such was his concern as Colchester grew ever more into the game.

That final third quality was lacking from the U’s. Dallison rose superbly only to place his header wide of the goal. Newby struck a fine effort which Strakosha saved very well.

The noise in the South Stand reached a crescendo after that passage of play.
To stem the tide Frank made his final two subs — Toney and Trevitt for Lewis-Potter and Dervisoglu on 72 minutes.

WB responded on 83 minutes by taking off the hard-working Marshall Miranda and introducing Big Frank. I was disappointed not to see Samson Tovide given some minutes.

Now Big Frank actually looked the part for those last 13 minutes (7+6). Playing wide right, he took the ball down the wing just in front of where I was sitting and delivered a couple of dangerous crosses.

Brentford resorted to some timewasting notably from the keeper and a couple of dubious collapses on the pitch. A mere 6 minutes was added on and during this time in the 92nd minute a corner was flicked on and Bech Sorensen deflected it past O’Hara.

Controversy at the final whistle when we had won another corner but the referee didn't allow us to take it.

Frankly 2-0 flattered Brentford. I am not denying them the victory but I felt that we had done enough to eke out an equaliser and take the game to penalties.

The stats are interesting Colchester figures first:
Possession 35%/65%
Shots 12/13
On Target 4/5
Corners 5/3
Fouls 7/11

As I said an interesting game and one that you would expect the premier side to boss from a possession point of view.

Colchester played superbly well and the only difference was the quality in the final third.

O’Hara was not at fault for either goal and he made two good saves. Tchamadeu, Eastman and Dallison all played well. Chambers was also effective.

It was good to see Cole Skuse back and with Marshall Miranda they operated as a good defensive midfield partnership.

Ashley was innocuous, Chilvers quite but delivery from dead balls was good. Newby was outstanding whilst Big John lasted the full 96 minutes and won most of his aerial duels but his footwork is too ponderous.

Clampin and Owens were adequate and Big Frank looked brighter than at Stockport.

If only we can secure a striker then I think we have the squad that is good enough to get us out of the basement and going the right way!

Thomas Frank was generous about us in the post-match comments as any manager can be who has won the game. Brentford will survive in the league this season. We need to gain promotion.

I didn’t rush back to the car; the car park was horrific and it took 40 minutes to clear. I was back at my hotel for 11pm.

Journey home on Wednesday was excellent.

Bring on Tranmere.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024