Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can we play you every week. please? 20:57 - Jan 10 with 697 viewsdurham_exile

“Can we play you every week” sang the faithful when the third goal went in but there is much more to the story than simply the scoreline.

My journey to Harrogate was uneventful, however having set off in very wet conditions it was good to see a vast improvement with plenty of sunshine at Harrogate.

Having been soaked sitting in the stand in the fixture last season I opted to stand and bought a cheeseburger and tea from the refreshment kiosk. Despite the cost £9.50 for the two items, the quality was excellent and I settled down behind the goal. There were no programme sellers inside the stadium so the matchday steward kindly took my money and went outside the ground to secure a programme.

I started to walk back towards my terrace standing and was engrossed in the programme and so entirely missed the warning shout from fellow spectators and the result was I was caught full on the forehead by a loose shot from Sam Hornby who was warming up with Kieran O’Hara.

I was reminded by the clip from Harry Redknapp some years ago when he was at Spurs and was hit by the ball during a training session. Redknapp’s response was to say “no wonder he’s in the fu**ing reserves”

Hornby came over and apologised, whilst I acknowledged his apology I told him all would be forgiven if we won the game.

A late arrival inside the ground was Gerry who had taken the best part of 40 minutes to purchase his ticket (arrangements were less than impressive).

MB had lined up as follows:

O’Hara

Chambers Smith Dallison

Tchamadeu Skuse Ashley Kazeem

Chilvers

Akinde Tovide

Subs:
Hornby Hannant Sears Kelleher Read Newby Wood

The pitch was in a better state than I had anticipated after the amount of rain that we had experienced during the week.

MB included three of his new signings Arthur Read 23 from Stevenage, Connor Wood 26 from Orient and Fiacre Kelleher 26 from Bradford, on the bench.

From the very first minute the referee Darren Handley made it clear that he was watching the time wasting. A pity perhaps that other referees hadn’t taken such action earlier in the season. Mr Handley was incredibly officious throughout and managed to book 3 from Colchester and two from Harrogate.

The U’s were right out of the blocks and took the game to the Sulphurites from the outset.

Perhaps the brightest was Big John Akinde who had his very best game for the U’s since signing his 2.5-year deal. Junior Tchamadeu opened up space on the right, crossed for Big John who fired a delightful diagonal shot into the far corner of the net on 12 minutes past the helpless Jameson.

Harrogate almost equalised with Danny Grant hitting the upright and O’Hara saving the follow up from Pattison.

However no sooner had the faithful finished celebrating that goal and the near miss from Harrogate but then Dallison floated a ball to Noah Chilvers who headed beyond Jameson. 2-0 on 17 minutes and we were good value for the scoreline.

Now MB seems to have settled for three at the back, four across the middle and Chilvers playing just behind Akinde and Tovide.

Chilvers return to form is long overdue and it has coincided with MB’s decision to play two up top.

It was only a question of how many Colchester could score at this stage. Harrogate were disorganised and rattled.

After six minutes of added time, we reached Half time which was enjoyed by an estimated 180 of the faithful in a crowd of 2,144. I saw Noah in the refreshments queue, it was great to see so many smiling faces.

So second half and we were attacking the end where most of the faithful were camped. MB certainly has the team playing some breath-taking football with lots of positive possession and forward play. The game was over as a contest on 54 minutes.

A sweeping move with Samson Tovide picking up the ball on the half way line and driving forward purposefully. He evaded three defenders and played the most delightful ball across the penalty area to Junior Tchamadeu who tapped home for 3-0.
The goal celebration was lengthy and loud, ensuring that Mr Handley tapped at his watch and warned the team about excessive celebration.

One of the best team goals and the best forward run from Tovide. The U’s were in dreamland.

Sadly, the expected deluge of goals didn’t materialise. The U’s collectively took their feet off the gas and allowed Harrogate to come forward with more intent.
MB made a double change on 74 minutes with Kazeem and Chilvers making way for Wood (his debut) and Hannant. The changes seemed to initially unsettle the team and we conceded a consolation goal on 77 minutes from Haaland look alike Armstrong with a tap in on the goal line.

At 3-1 MB made two more changes on 82 minutes. The excellent Skuse was replaced by Arthur Read (debut) and Samson Tovide was replaced by Newby. In truth we were comfortable but I wanted a fourth to reflect more accurately the difference between the two sides.

We wondered just how much extra time Mr Handley would add but it was only five minutes. Just before final whistle, the hardworking Big John Akinde was replaced by Freddie Sears.

The U’s ran the clock down in the far corner, successfully.

The final whistle was greeted by the faithful and it was great to see the team come over to the acclaim from the supporters. MB took the applause and he thoroughly deserved the plaudits. MB has the team purring at present and the results are beginning to come.

It was good to see Gerry and Noah and I would imagine that the away support will continue to grow now that we are winning football matches.

I celebrated after the game by driving to York for a meal before heading north to Durham.

Immediately after the game word came that we had signed 29-year-old defender Connor Hall from Port Vale.

However yesterday the word was that we had signed the Exeter captain Matt Jay who is still only 26. Of all the new signings his is surely the most exciting and shows intent.

Apparently our other target Danny Johnson from Mansfield is not enthusiastic about coming to join the North Essex side. Well, he can Foxtrot Oscar if that is his attitude.

I bought my Rochdale ticket yesterday and frankly can’t wait to watch the U’s this Saturday. MB’s problem is going to be accommodating his new signings into an existing positive and well-established team.

Now a thought the U’s have 23 points from 25 games. Suppose we manage another 47 points from our remaining 21 games. That would give us 70 points and a top seven place. It is mathematically possible.

Realistically another 25 points will give us 48 points, which is enough to avoid the drop. Still, who knows. Its all about momentum and the U’s have that in spades at present.

Well done MB and his tactical nouse.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Can we play you every week. please? on 22:02 - Jan 10 with 670 viewsnoah4x4

Two CUSA coaches are heading for Rochdale, so your assumption is correct Durham. Support should generally increase if we can string some results together.

Unfortunately, Rochdale won tonight at automatic promotion chasing Bradford. The next three fixtures, Rochdale, Gillingham and Hartlepool look like being season defining for all three clubs, notably as Rochdale and Hartlepool also clash in January. My fear is that we might introduce too many of the new signings too soon and screw it up. Most are short of game time. But so far in 2023, so good.
Can we play you every week. please? on 22:20 - Jan 10 with 661 viewsdurham_exile

Can we play you every week. please? on 22:02 - Jan 10 by noah4x4

Two CUSA coaches are heading for Rochdale, so your assumption is correct Durham. Support should generally increase if we can string some results together.

Unfortunately, Rochdale won tonight at automatic promotion chasing Bradford. The next three fixtures, Rochdale, Gillingham and Hartlepool look like being season defining for all three clubs, notably as Rochdale and Hartlepool also clash in January. My fear is that we might introduce too many of the new signings too soon and screw it up. Most are short of game time. But so far in 2023, so good.

Noah safe journey on Saturday.

Interestingly Ian Henderson at 37 years young scored both the Dales goals tonight.

Bradford have an indifferent home form and so I wasn't too worried about the result. I firmly believe we will win at Rochdale at the weekend.

What about MB winning the MOTM for January?

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Can we play you every week. please? on 17:08 - Jan 11 with 580 viewswessex_exile

Can we play you every week. please? on 22:20 - Jan 10 by durham_exile

Noah safe journey on Saturday.

Interestingly Ian Henderson at 37 years young scored both the Dales goals tonight.

Bradford have an indifferent home form and so I wasn't too worried about the result. I firmly believe we will win at Rochdale at the weekend.

What about MB winning the MOTM for January?

Up the U's

...and Abo Eisa scored the Bantam's goal - clearly it was the ex Col U show at Valley Parade.

The point is well made, Matt B is going to have to consider how he integrates the new signings into a team that seems to be turning a corner without them. As has been said, hopefully very carefully. As for the MOTM award, do we want the resultant 'curse' that goes with it?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Can we play you every week. please? on 10:05 - Jan 13 with 249 viewsNickka

Can we play you every week. please? on 17:08 - Jan 11 by wessex_exile

...and Abo Eisa scored the Bantam's goal - clearly it was the ex Col U show at Valley Parade.

The point is well made, Matt B is going to have to consider how he integrates the new signings into a team that seems to be turning a corner without them. As has been said, hopefully very carefully. As for the MOTM award, do we want the resultant 'curse' that goes with it?

I was reading some of your content on this website and I conceive this internet site is really informative! Keep on putting up <a href=" https://m8betmobile.com/">m8bet mobile</a>
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024