Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dirty Old Town to witness Super U's chop Ammies down to size 11:59 - Apr 14 with 1895 viewsdurham_exile

Buoyed by their thumping victory over the Railwaymen BG takes his charges to Moor Lane on Saturday.

A look at the top of the table:

Orient 40 81
Northampton 41 73
Stockport 41 70
Carlisle 41 70
Stevenage 40 70
Bradford 40 68
Salford 41 66
Mansfield 40 65

And the bottom:

COL U 41 42 -8
Harrogate 40 41 -12
Hartlepool 41 39
Crawley 41 38 -25
Rochdale 41 33-23

Remaining fixtures:

Harrogate
Doncaster H
Walsall H
Northampton A
Newport A
Mansfield A
Rochdale H

Hartlepool
Newport A
Salford A
Crawley H
Barrow H
Stockport A

Crawley
Tranmere H
COL U H
Hartlepool A
Walsall H
Swindon A

COL U
Salford A
Crawley A
Sutton H
Doncaster A
Mansfield H

Rochdale
Bradford H
Tranmere H
Stockport A
Sutton H
Harrogate A

At the top it seems to be seven from eight with anyone still to creep in (only Orient are safe from the final shenanigans).

At the bottom Rochdale surely have too much to do and so it is one from four to join them.

48 points still looks the minimum needed to survive.

Therefore, it is still very much in our hands. We have a decent record at Moor Lane. I went to the 22 February 2020 game when we won 2-1. The 16 March 2021 game was COVID affected with zero fans inside the ground and we drew 0-0. Last season 22 January 2022 we won 3-0 in WB’s first game back in charge and I again witnessed the impressive victory.

Statistics are there to be challenged but there is no reason to fear them. We talk about the quality of playing surfaces. Bradford’s was better this season and Salford’s has always been challenging.

The advantage that we have is to be playing them now with the warmer weather than hitherto. Tomorrow the weather will be dry, 13 degrees Celsius and mostly cloudy. When we played in 2020 the weather was unbelievably bad with strong winds and driving rain.

Let us enjoy the more pleasant conditions even though the pitch will be heavy. If we at least match the other teams who are relegation haunted we will be safe. The Crawley game is of course a must not lose.

Neil Wood’s team has been around the fringes of the top seven all season and will be a stern test. The demolition of Crewe has eased the pressure on BG but it has not yet been eradicated.

So, who does he select to carry the fight to the Ammies.

I would retain young Tom Smith in goal. He is highly rated and performed very well on Easter Monday. There are question marks about O’Hara’s back problems and so keep him on the bench.

The back three pick themselves. The midfield must include Cole Skuse and up front Tovide and Big John.

Therefore 3,4,1,2:

Smith

Chambers Kelleher Hall

Tchamadeu Skuse Ashley Read

Chilvers

Tovide Akinde

Subs
O’Hara, Greenidge, Jay, Marshall-Miranda, Hopper, Fevrier, Wood

Given the conditions and the fact that Big John scored a brace last Monday I would start him alongside Tovide. But I would love to see Fevrier line up alongside Tovide (perhaps when we are safe from the drop).

Scoreline 2-0 to the Super U’s and more valuable breathing space for the vital game at Crawley.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful.

Get behind the team.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Dirty Old Town to witness Super U's chop Ammies down to size on 09:47 - Apr 16 with 348 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Dirty Old Town to witness Super U's chop Ammies down to size on 00:37 - Apr 16 by RSCOSWORTH

Am I right in thinking if we win at Crawley that’s League Two football guaranteed for next season?

If we win against Crawley on Tuesday night and Hartlepool also win the table looks like this:

Colchester 48
Hartlepool 42
Crawley 41

If we don’t get another point from our remaining three games, which seems unlikely, we’re left on 48 points.

If Crawley win their last three, including beating Hartlepool, and Hartlepool win their other two the table looks like this:

Crawley 50
Colchester 48
Hartlepool 48

If Hartlepool win their last three, including beating Crawley, and Crawley win their other two the table looks like this:

Hartlepool 51
Colchester 48
Crawley 47

If Hartlepool and Crawley draw with each other and both win their other two then the table looks like this:

Hartlepool 49
Colchester 48
Crawley 48

Unless I’ve got something wrong a win on Tuesday keeps us up unless there’s a massive change in goal difference, which is extremely unlikely.

Like a few of you, I actually think we won’t need as many as 48 points but wouldn’t it be lovely to get over the line on Tuesday night away at Crawley? If not then let’s hope it’s party time against Sutton at home on Saturday.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Dirty Old Town to witness Super U's chop Ammies down to size on 09:58 - Apr 16 with 331 viewsdurham_exile

Dirty Old Town to witness Super U's chop Ammies down to size on 09:47 - Apr 16 by RSCOSWORTH

If we win against Crawley on Tuesday night and Hartlepool also win the table looks like this:

Colchester 48
Hartlepool 42
Crawley 41

If we don’t get another point from our remaining three games, which seems unlikely, we’re left on 48 points.

If Crawley win their last three, including beating Hartlepool, and Hartlepool win their other two the table looks like this:

Crawley 50
Colchester 48
Hartlepool 48

If Hartlepool win their last three, including beating Crawley, and Crawley win their other two the table looks like this:

Hartlepool 51
Colchester 48
Crawley 47

If Hartlepool and Crawley draw with each other and both win their other two then the table looks like this:

Hartlepool 49
Colchester 48
Crawley 48

Unless I’ve got something wrong a win on Tuesday keeps us up unless there’s a massive change in goal difference, which is extremely unlikely.

Like a few of you, I actually think we won’t need as many as 48 points but wouldn’t it be lovely to get over the line on Tuesday night away at Crawley? If not then let’s hope it’s party time against Sutton at home on Saturday.

RS I have repeatedly posted that 48 points were needed to ensure safety.

However over a 46 game season, 48 points is a very poor return.

In recent weeks we have drawn against some of the so called top clubs and yesterday prevailed against a team who are on the fringes of the top seven.

What is so frustrating is our inability to secure consistency of results.

Apart from the Non League years, I have not seen so many Away victories in a season.
That is actually attending the games.

Now we need to transfer that to the Home form and who knows we might be a top seven club next season.

I reckon we will win at Crawley on Tuesday and then can enjoy the remaining games to see if we can beat last season's 55 points!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Dirty Old Town to witness Super U's chop Ammies down to size on 11:07 - Apr 16 with 308 viewswessex_exile

Dirty Old Town to witness Super U's chop Ammies down to size on 09:47 - Apr 16 by RSCOSWORTH

Colchester 48
Hartlepool 42
Crawley 41

Crawley 50
Colchester 48
Hartlepool 48

Hartlepool 51
Colchester 48
Crawley 47

Hartlepool 49
Colchester 48
Crawley 48

Can’t fault the logic RS, reckon you’re spot-on there. Of course, the other factor in your scenarios is that apart from Crawley, Hartlepool have to face promotion challengers Salford, Barrow and Stockport. Reckon Crawley will be their only realistic chance for points.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024