Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Last word on Salford and U's to prevail against the Reds in West Sussex 13:24 - Apr 18 with 1985 viewsdurham_exile

The Super U’s achieved a crucial victory at Moor Lane on Saturday which has moved them onto 45 points meaning that another win will virtually confirm their league status next season.

My third visit to Salford and I’ve seen them win every game. The fourth occasion that we played Salford was in the COVID wilderness years and we drew 0-0 that day.

On Saturday the weather was mild and warm sunshine flooded the ground. The pitch was also in the best condition that I have seen. I arrived very early (just in front of the team coach) after a good journey down the M6 and M61.

This meant that I managed to get a good car parking space adjacent to a small park about half a mile from the ground. I also managed to get a programme for £3 from just inside the stadium. The programme was also available free of charge online as well. I know that fewer people like the print media these days, but I will curse the day when printed programmes are no longer available at football grounds.

I tried a cheeseburger with onions and a tea before the game from Bab’s outlet. Last year I had a meat and potato pie, but the burger was good and reasonable value at £6.50 with the hot drink. I didn't have any chips but those that did were impressed.

I saw Noah, albeit from a distance, he was in the East Stand behind the goal, whereas I sat in the seats in the corner at the far end of the North Stand on Moor Lane. It was good to see Mr and Mrs Witham, who were already in their seats.

Salford run out to Dirty Old Town (covered by the Pogues) and it is so emotive and thought provoking.

Can we definitely bring the Post Horn Gallop back and stick with it at the JCS!

BG had decided on an unchanged team:

Smith
Chambers Kelleher Hall
Tchamadeu Ashley Read Wood
Chilvers
Akinde Tovide

Subs: O’Hara Greenidge Sears Newby Jay Miranda Fevrier

I had predicted a U’s victory by 2-0 and in truth I felt fairly confident especially after the trouncing of Crewe on Easter Monday.

Colchester started the better team and very quickly imposed themselves on the game. Salford seemed leggy and Big John was unlucky early doors. Then a brilliant run from Chilvers saw him strike the outside of the right-hand post with Cairns beaten.

However, on 22 minutes Tovide squared the ball to Chilvers whose shot was deflected slightly and found the bottom of the goal on the right side past Cairns.

Cue great scenes from the faithful who in fairness sang throughout. Also, I was not aware of any poor behaviour or chanting from the away support.

We were not only good value for the lead, but also would not have been undeserving of a second goal. Tom Smith had a quiet half but in the final minute he was called upon to smother a close-range effort from Hendry which was a brilliant save.

Half time and the faithful were delighted with the scoreline. BG made no changes and we were now attacking the end where the faithful were situated (and where Kwame Poku scored a cracking goal during our 2-1 win in 2020).

Now I think BG made a mistake in taking Big John off after 62 minutes. We were then relying on Samson Tovide as the loan striker. Newby looked to be a little out of his depth (but then he doesn’t have many minutes under his belt recently).

The result was that we dropped deeper and Salford stepped up the pressure with Matt Smith, McAleny and Elliot Watt all going close with efforts.

The excellent Arthur Read was substituted on 75 minutes by Marshall-Miranda.

The closest that Salford came to equalising was when Theo Vassell headed towards goal but the outstanding Chilvers headed off the line. That was the only time Smith was beaten. He was outstanding throughout. Can kick with either foot and his distribution was very good.

He must stay in goal for the remaining fixtures.

Now the U’s showed great determination and resilience to withstand the second half onslaught and at the back Chambers, Kelleher and Hall were outstanding. A late challenge from Chambers earned plaudits from his colleagues when he made a superb last ditch tackle to keep the Ammies out.

BG made his final two changes on 86 minutes with Greenidge on for Wood and Sears for the excellent Tovide.

The referee found 6 additional minutes but played over 7 before blowing the final whistle.

Great scenes at the end of the game with the faithful enjoying themselves (about 220). Tom Smith gave his gloves to two young Colchester supporters which was a lovely touch.

I wonder whether Gerry the Cat was ever asked to give his gloves to adoring fans.

The journey home was made all the sweeter with a stop at Preston for a Pizza Hut meal.

So, this evening we travel to Crawley for another vital game. We really are at the business end of the season now.

Remaining fixtures:

Wimbledon
Swindon H
Tranmere H
Grimsby A

Harrogate
Walsall H
Northampton A
Newport A
Mansfield A
Rochdale H

Hartlepool
Salford A
Crawley H
Barrow H
Stockport A

Crawley
COL U H
Hartlepool A
Walsall H
Swindon A

COL U
Crawley A
Sutton H
Doncaster A
Mansfield H

Rochdale
Tranmere H
Stockport A
Sutton H
Harrogate A

Table:

Wimbledon 43 47 -7
COL U 42 45 -7
Harrogate 41 42 -12
Crawley 42 41 -24
Hartlepool 42 39 -24
Rochdale 42 33 -26

Although the Dons have 47 points they only have three games to play, but I reckon are just about safe.

Tonight, we have the chance to push Crawley closer to the trapdoor whilst getting the job done for another season. Scott Lindsey has seen his Reds endure a similar season to the U’s and they will be buoyed by their weekend win over Tranmere (definitely on the beach). Dom Telford remains the Red’s dangerman.

Weather tonight at Crawley will be 9 degrees Celsius with some sunshine and then cloud. Dry conditions will make for a pleasant evening.

Crawley of course have a big say in the relegation places with Hartlepool Away on Saturday.

I reckon we can expect an unchanged team tonight with Cole Skuse still not fit to resume games.

Smith

Chambers Kelleher Hall

Tchamadeu Ashley Read Wood

Chilvers

Akinde Tovide

Subs
O’Hara Greenidge Newby Jay Miranda Fevrier Hopper

Score prediction 2-0 to the Super U’s in a close affair.

Don’t forget Exiles, iFollow has the game on TV for us to enjoy.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Last word on Salford and U's to prevail against the Reds in West Sussex on 22:04 - Apr 18 with 510 viewsdurham_exile

Last word on Salford and U's to prevail against the Reds in West Sussex on 21:58 - Apr 18 by thrillseeker

I enjoyed the game considering it was 0-0.

Think we need just 3 more points for survival

Watching the Orient players celebrating promotion at the Priestfield despite a defeat.
I want Colchester to achieve that again.

Frankly sick and tired of having to scrap for vital points to survive

We are better than this

Next season had to be a promotion push.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Last word on Salford and U's to prevail against the Reds in West Sussex on 22:10 - Apr 18 with 492 viewswessex_exile

...but, on the flip-side, we're proving ourselves a very difficult team to beat. I'll take that as a starter for ten next season. No doubt in my mind we're already safe, but it will be confirmed next Saturday.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Last word on Salford and U's to prevail against the Reds in West Sussex on 07:15 - Apr 19 with 428 viewsnoah4x4

Hartlepool now need to win three on the trot to catch us given we are 7 points and GD clear. They are not going to do that, and any win from three guarantees our safety.

Hartlepool also play Crawley on Saturday. A win for Crawley makes us safe. A win for Hartlepool means Crawley are in distinct peril and they can’t realistically catch us. Frankly, we are safe already unless Hartlepool have a bizarre set of results, but three clean sheets in our remaining games are feasible.
Last word on Salford and U's to prevail against the Reds in West Sussex on 10:14 - Apr 19 with 379 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Last word on Salford and U's to prevail against the Reds in West Sussex on 07:15 - Apr 19 by noah4x4

Hartlepool now need to win three on the trot to catch us given we are 7 points and GD clear. They are not going to do that, and any win from three guarantees our safety.

Hartlepool also play Crawley on Saturday. A win for Crawley makes us safe. A win for Hartlepool means Crawley are in distinct peril and they can’t realistically catch us. Frankly, we are safe already unless Hartlepool have a bizarre set of results, but three clean sheets in our remaining games are feasible.

If Hartlepool win all three then Crawley have to win their other two, along with us managing less than two points from our remaining three matches. I can't see it happening personally. I fancy us to win at least two of our last three as it goes.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Last word on Salford and U's to prevail against the Reds in West Sussex on 10:55 - Apr 19 with 369 viewswessex_exile

Last word on Salford and U's to prevail against the Reds in West Sussex on 21:58 - Apr 18 by thrillseeker

I enjoyed the game considering it was 0-0.

Think we need just 3 more points for survival

Likewise, one of the more entertaining 0-0's I've seen recently.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Last word on Salford and U's to prevail against the Reds in West Sussex on 20:20 - Apr 19 with 310 viewsburnsieespana

We must be due a good result against Sutton
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024