Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The fightback starts here 14:43 - Apr 24 with 7791 views49thseason

OK Ladies and Gentlemen. What has happened has happened and we have arrived at a new reality. we have a choice to make, either we continue to search for scapegoats and apportion blame or we accept that financially we are in no fit condition to play competitive football in the EFL with crowds of 2000 home supporters and and that we need to start the long march to put the club in a financially self-sustaining position. Whatever your thoughts are about a new investor, the key to all our problems is cash, we have to sweat the assets and make more money!

There are two more Trust meetings and I would suggest an urgent addition to the topics being discussed there might be "How to create a fan base of 5000 regular match attendees and 5000 casuals who will support the club by other means". Long winded, I accept, but you get the gist...

Put simply, without far more engagement in the community and at matches, we will never be sustainably financed, or we will become beholden to an investor who may or may not be around for the long haul.

Lets start the ball rolling...
1. how do we extract £1m+ a year from sources outside the club (off field) to replace the idea that we occasionally benefit from an FA cup run (which is now highly improbable) or a player sale which effectively reduces the on-field performance and will probably not attract the sort of money we have been accustomed to receiving.

If we accept the old adage that "by the inch its a cinch and by the yard its hard",
How many ways can we think of to raise £10,000 a year?
I have started a list of some of the ideas I have had over the last few weeks

1. Sell team shirts to local junior and senior clubs...
we have a relationship with a manufacturer now, there are probably well over 100 junior teams who all need kit, each currently buying separately. By bulk buying, we could sell shirts at cost and give a free ticket to every junior player and their mum or dad and organise trips to the ground for each junior club. maybe no profit but huge potential for getting regular supporters in the future

2. Dark Kitchen
A takeaway kitchen at COA utilising one of the 2 kitchens (but apparently we need to install Gas at a cost of £30k), potentially worth well over £2000 per week net profit. No customers, just delivery (hence dark, no shop lights etc.). there are companies to help with this. https://www.peckwaterbrands.com/our-service-individual. so an average order is say £20, net profit is about 15% because we already have a kitchen. so after all expenses 100 orders a night will produce £300 net profit, x 365 = £110K per year. We have 1000s of potential users we can advertise to.

3. Electronic Advertising Displays
A large electronic display on the Sandy Lane end of the Wilbutts Stand
a 15 second advert could be shown 4320 times a day(18 hours per day)at £0.2p per impression (showing) that's £86.40p per day or £31,536 a year. Imagine having 3 or 4 more around the town! Or, maybe we should lease something like this
https://monsterdisplays.media/buy-a-digital-advan/ and have it running around town every day!

4. Gold Bond
Work needs to start now, if we are getting this back from the current organisers in November 100 new rounds x 25 customers x 52 weeks is £130k add in online sales of say 500 per week and you get to £150k.... less prizes and costs could clear £75k PA

5. Gold Bond advertising
Turn the results sheet into a vouchers pack for club sponsors, club events and other local companies - a win win,

6. Gold Bond Results Newsletter / club Newsletter
an electronic newsletter going to 4-5000 people each week would be worth £200-£250 in sponsorship weekly

7. Win a Car
Like you might have seem at airports or in shopping malls. We are sponsored by Kia, lets get one of their cheapest cars and sell raffle tickets for £2 each (say 15000 tickets) with a view to presenting the car to a winner at Christmas. A Kia Picanto is now just over £12,000 new so £18,000 profit less cost of sales.( could be an add on for Gold Bond sales!)

8. Sportsman's Dinners
The newly refurbished Town Hall could be the venue if the Ratcliffe etc isn't big enough. 3 a year could easily raise £10k

9. Business ticket bundles
There are over 16,000 businesses in Rochdale, 2.174 companies in Rochdale are medium sized businesses with 5 — 50 employees. There are 253 top companies in Rochdale with at least 50 employees
A bundle of 2 season tickets and 10 hospitality meals for £500 would be a great offer sell 20 to make £10,000 sell 200 to make £100,000

10. Christmas parties
At £45 per ticket for a meal a band and a DJ a table of 10 is worth £450, say £150 profit
sell 20 tables for 10 nights running up too Christmas and you make £30,000

11. Christmas Raffle
A decent Christmas Raffle should easily make £10,000 with donated prizes and a sponsor for the back of the tickets (voucher?)

12. Club shop
Restocking the club shop with the right products pre-Christmas should make another £10k example ... https://tradejigsaws.alljigsawpuzzles.co.uk/blogs/case-studies/football-club-puz

13. Christmas cards
20,000 Christmas cards cost £0.12p each selling as packs of 20 for £10 = £10k

14. Dale Ale
500 dozen Bottles/ cans of specially brewed beer, lots of craft breweries offer this service. It may not make £10k, but it would be fun!

15. Advertising revenue from Website
The website is a bone of contention at the moment, I guess we will continue to use the EFL template for the time being, but we need to develop our own website with online ticket sales and the ability to buy gold bond and other raffle tickets etc. Planning for this early will create a better product capable of adding passive income.

16. Easyfunding
I have raised £24 in the last 10 months or so just from my fortnightly grocery delivery, the rewards for people switching TV and Broadband are up to £40 a go. 3 or 400 regular shoppers and switchers could easily raise £10000 a year. the |Trust already does this and even if we did it via the trust, ultimately they could buy more shares and put money into the club. https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/

17. E Bay sales
It struck me that the club shop is probably often quiet, so there is an opportunity to be selling and despatching goods sold on Ebay , perhaps donated by fans who are having a clear out.

18. Car boot sales
10x summer Car boot sales on the car park @ £15 a car x 50 / 60 cars could raise £10k PLUS the Ratcliffe could be busier too

19. Farmers Market
Like a car boot sale but with fewer stall and charging stands more , so 25 stalls at £30 each x 10 per year - £7500

20. Summer kids camp
Norden Primary used to get 2000 kids playing football for a week . Most camps now charge £10+ per day , we would need to use Oulder Hill and maybe Redbrook too ( some goodwill will need to be built there) plus the COA but the potential over the summer using Community staff, some of the young players etc is huge , 1000 x 5days x £10 per day is £50,000 less costs.....

21. Has the Club contacted ex-Season Ticket / Card holders with a short survey as to why people are not renewing

22. Set up a desk or a stand around the district say Exchange, Riverside, Asda, Tesco, Aldi etc.etc & survey / canvas opinions of the general public during the summer months

23. Allow smoking at half time (sorry... had to put that in there)..

23. Make the prediction league a chargeable competition & profits to the Club

24. Rent the pitch out when not in use?

25. Summer BBQ's

26. Spend some time looking at what other Clubs sell in their on line Club Shops

27. I suppose this is a wider question... Family Tickets rather than age ranged

28. RAFC Scratch Cards (does that fall under our gaming license?, I recall the Supporters Coach doing one but admittedly it's a long time since I was on one)

29. Dale "Lager" - not everyone likes Real Ale

OK that's my 20 or so worth about £500K and mostly new money, we need more... any others got ideas?
I will add them below so we end up with a big list

30. Stadium Events .. noting that tickets for bands I have never heard of are costing £40-50, I imagine that there is scope for a decent profit using the stadium for a couple of concerts during the summer if the acts can be booked at sensible rates. I have seen Lisa Stansfield at a suggested price of £25k which at £40 per ticket doesn't seem impossible if you sell 1500+ tickets

31. Season ticket cashback / draw after reaching milestones for sales with vouchers and discounts from sponsors and other outlets.

32. 5 a side competition with an entry fee per team with prizes. And entry fee shared with club and other teams

33. Cheaper tickets for Low income and Benefits families ( we have done this in the past via a council leisure pass of some sort)

34. Bring catering back in house and do Christmas type parties for Fathers day, Easter carvery, etc. ...( I have a scheme for developing our own range of pies that could be sold in chip shops and frozen in Tesco etc.... How about "The Big Reg" Meat and Potato or "The Hendo 40" Cheese and Onion"???

35. Organise buses from outskirts of town to the ground and back on matchdays , picking up / dropping off in the town centre.. couple this with the reduced tickets for low income families??

36. Have tickets on sale in the town centre on matchdays... or maybe have a kiosk in the new shopping centre selling match tickets, Gold Bond and "win a car" tickets 7 days a week in exchange for some advertising at the ground or a promotional event?

37. Workplace Ambassadors
There are some 2000 local businesses big enough to warrant having a "workplace Ambassador". someone who can put up posters, fixture lists, organise workplace trips to a match and present the idea of the company buying a couple of season tickets for staff use, selling raffle tickets, GB etc. Someone to suggest holding the Christmas Party at the COA etc. If we could get to a couple of hundred Ambassadors, each one generating £500 a year in new revenue, that would be £100k ... Ambassadors could also be a vehicle for handing out flyers, news sheets etc, Sell £1000 , get your nest season ticket free! Any Volunteers?

[Post edited 27 Apr 2023 14:00]
The fightback starts here on 14:56 - Apr 24 with 6355 viewsblackdogblue

Great list that as a start... Thinking more about marketing...

21. Has the Club contacted ex-Season Ticket / Card holders with a short survey as to why people are not renewing

22. Set up a desk or a stand around the district say Exchange, Riverside, Asda, Tesco, Aldi etc.etc & survey / canvas opinions of the general public during the summer months

23. Allow smoking at half time (sorry... had to put that in there)..

23. Make the prediction league a chargeable competition & profits to the Club

24. Rent the pitch out when not in use?

25. Summer BBQ's

26. Spend some time looking at what other Clubs sell in their on line Club Shops

27. I suppose this is a wider question... Family Tickets rather than age ranged

28. RAFC Scratch Cards (does that fall under our gaming license?, I recall the Supporters Coach doing one but admittedly it's a long time since I was on one)

29. Dale "Lager" - not everyone likes Real Ale

There's some more
[Post edited 24 Apr 2023 15:08]

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

The fightback starts here on 16:55 - Apr 24 with 6138 viewsA_Newby

I have suggested several times on this forum that the best way for the club to survive and thrive is to increase the number of regular home fans attending matches even if it takes a decade.

I am glad to see that the Dale trust are looking at ways to do this, but I hope that any suggestions implemented do not inadvertently have the effect of lowering the club’s gate receipts.

In the season 2016/7 Russ Green tried a reduced-price season cards scheme to try to raise the number of holders to 4,000+. He managed to double the number of season card holders from 1200 to 2500+ but did not attract many NEW fans.

I believe the overall effect of this was to actually REDUCE the gate receipt revenue from home fans and to set an unrealistic expectation of season ticket prices for years to come.

I do however have a similar suggestion for increasing the number of fans and season card holders, I have already submitted this idea to the trust last January.

Season Card Prize Draw.

Russ Green’s idea of rewarding season card holders for increased sales numbers was quite good with the flaw I have explained before.

My suggestion is that instead of setting a reward target based on the number of season cards sold, instead set a reward target based on the amount of season card income raised.

Say, for example, the club needs and sets a target of season card income of £300,000 needed before August.

When through season card purchases this target is met then distribute 40% of any “surplus” income to season card holders as cash prizes as a promotion.

So, in the above example suppose the £300,000 target was exceeded and income was £350,000.

The surplus would be £50,000. Twenty percent of this will go in VAT leaving £40,000.

Of this £40,000, half or £20,000 is retained by the club for development purposes.

The remaining £20,000 is then distributed to fans as prize money in a pre-season draw.

To be open with the fans publish weekly online the cumulative number and type of season cards sold and running total of income.

If no surplus is raised, then no prize money would be distributed.

How the prize money is distributed, for example the number of and size of prizes would be needed to be decided. For example, junior season card may not be able to have cash prizes but could have club shirts instead.
The fightback starts here on 17:06 - Apr 24 with 6083 viewsblackdogblue

Hi,

Is that it??

The thread is think outside of the box for new ways 🤷‍♂️

The fightback starts here on 17:40 - Apr 24 with 5924 viewselectricblue

30.Stadium Events..
Non starter as the locals kick up a fuss about it..

The rest are all good..

Rochdale AFC 5-a- Side comp.....
Profits go to the club.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

The fightback starts here on 17:56 - Apr 24 with 5879 viewsjudd

Great work, 48thseason.

Are you going Wednesday?

Poll: What is it to be then?

The fightback starts here on 18:09 - Apr 24 with 5831 viewsNorthernDale

I must say that you all have come up with some fantastic ideas, but the gold bond based if possible on the old system,in that generated a vast amount of income, until Bottomley destroyed it. The farming out the gold bond to an outside business, broke a link between the club and the people of the town and the income was a lot less. We could include a fourth prize of a free family ticket for example. The club must put the infrastructure in place for the new season, not wait all summer.

Advertise in the town in respect to forthcoming fixtures and prices, even run some of scheme for children under a certain age to attend free and reduced costs tickets for people on low incomes or benefits.

How often is the club facilities used for weddings for example?
The fightback starts here on 18:26 - Apr 24 with 5789 views49thseason

The fightback starts here on 18:09 - Apr 24 by NorthernDale

I must say that you all have come up with some fantastic ideas, but the gold bond based if possible on the old system,in that generated a vast amount of income, until Bottomley destroyed it. The farming out the gold bond to an outside business, broke a link between the club and the people of the town and the income was a lot less. We could include a fourth prize of a free family ticket for example. The club must put the infrastructure in place for the new season, not wait all summer.

Advertise in the town in respect to forthcoming fixtures and prices, even run some of scheme for children under a certain age to attend free and reduced costs tickets for people on low incomes or benefits.

How often is the club facilities used for weddings for example?

We were told that the club is ending the contract with the company currently running Lotto in November..I agree we have to start the process so that we are ready to restart Gold Bond as soon as humanly possible. This alone is worth a huge amount if we can make it bigger and better than it was before.
I think it might require tweaking with an option to buy tickets on the website and options for setting up regular payments but I think there is huge value in knocking on doors and for agents to take payments and pay in via an app. There are now several software packages for running lotteries that take a lot of the sweat out of the process.
Giving away match tickets to homes that play GB would be useful occasionally. Giving players discounts on room hie at the COA etc. Having a couple of hundred agents calling regularly and offering incentives when people introduce a neighbour etc will all increase sales, as would a summer campaign to get new users by using students to canvass houses adjacent to GB participants.

I have also thought about weddings, funerals kids parties etc , certainly the GB agents could be paid a commission for introducing people to those fscilities. I would think there wre almost daily opportunities for parties of one sort or another. The trick lies in the quality of what is on offer for a competitive price.
The fightback starts here on 18:30 - Apr 24 with 5759 viewsjudd

The fightback starts here on 18:26 - Apr 24 by 49thseason

We were told that the club is ending the contract with the company currently running Lotto in November..I agree we have to start the process so that we are ready to restart Gold Bond as soon as humanly possible. This alone is worth a huge amount if we can make it bigger and better than it was before.
I think it might require tweaking with an option to buy tickets on the website and options for setting up regular payments but I think there is huge value in knocking on doors and for agents to take payments and pay in via an app. There are now several software packages for running lotteries that take a lot of the sweat out of the process.
Giving away match tickets to homes that play GB would be useful occasionally. Giving players discounts on room hie at the COA etc. Having a couple of hundred agents calling regularly and offering incentives when people introduce a neighbour etc will all increase sales, as would a summer campaign to get new users by using students to canvass houses adjacent to GB participants.

I have also thought about weddings, funerals kids parties etc , certainly the GB agents could be paid a commission for introducing people to those fscilities. I would think there wre almost daily opportunities for parties of one sort or another. The trick lies in the quality of what is on offer for a competitive price.

Parties may be a bit no go the amount of kick offs we have.

Login to get fewer ads

The fightback starts here on 19:11 - Apr 24 with 5652 viewsNorthernDale

You have weddings parties on the Saturday's we don't have a game or all throughout the summer, funeral wakes could be held in the week. The facilities could also used for business events, government or council run courses and events, in that Spotland could become a hub for the local community in the week. If my memory serves me right, the facilities on Wilbutts used to be used for educational purposed, I don't know if it is still used for educational purposes.
The fightback starts here on 19:13 - Apr 24 with 5633 viewsblackdogblue

I must admit with some sadness.. I think the Goldbond agent Army will not be an option… they used to get a free season ticket & other benefits.. a Do.. money back.. discount in the shop?

On the above I stand to be corrected… not a problem…

Over the last years of its life, slowly but surely all this was chipped away at leaving them with a big 2 or 1 finger wave… I know quite a few people who knocked on doors in the cold depths of winter trying to drum up business or collecting… I heard many stories of being treated like Jehovah Witnesses.. doors slammed in faces, verbally abused etc…

Would anyone volunteer now?

The fightback starts here on 19:34 - Apr 24 with 5533 viewsFurness1951

The fightback starts here on 19:13 - Apr 24 by blackdogblue

I must admit with some sadness.. I think the Goldbond agent Army will not be an option… they used to get a free season ticket & other benefits.. a Do.. money back.. discount in the shop?

On the above I stand to be corrected… not a problem…

Over the last years of its life, slowly but surely all this was chipped away at leaving them with a big 2 or 1 finger wave… I know quite a few people who knocked on doors in the cold depths of winter trying to drum up business or collecting… I heard many stories of being treated like Jehovah Witnesses.. doors slammed in faces, verbally abused etc…

Would anyone volunteer now?

Halifax fan here love your ideas our chairman should read them
Anyway welcome to National League. You get a lot more coverage you'll even be live on the tele at least 3 times next season.
The play off system is vèry different its actually much fairer than the EFL.
Its not the end of the world the football isn't that bad either.
Seems a long tiime 1969 when we both got promoted 13000 at your and 17000 at the Shay.
Anyway best of luck next season and looking forward to visiting Spotland.
The fightback starts here on 19:39 - Apr 24 with 5509 viewsjudd

The fightback starts here on 19:34 - Apr 24 by Furness1951

Halifax fan here love your ideas our chairman should read them
Anyway welcome to National League. You get a lot more coverage you'll even be live on the tele at least 3 times next season.
The play off system is vèry different its actually much fairer than the EFL.
Its not the end of the world the football isn't that bad either.
Seems a long tiime 1969 when we both got promoted 13000 at your and 17000 at the Shay.
Anyway best of luck next season and looking forward to visiting Spotland.

Thank you. Can't wait for a Three Pigeons session.

The fightback starts here on 23:19 - Apr 24 with 5209 viewsDalenet

The fightback starts here on 19:11 - Apr 24 by NorthernDale

You have weddings parties on the Saturday's we don't have a game or all throughout the summer, funeral wakes could be held in the week. The facilities could also used for business events, government or council run courses and events, in that Spotland could become a hub for the local community in the week. If my memory serves me right, the facilities on Wilbutts used to be used for educational purposed, I don't know if it is still used for educational purposes.

I am up for a funeral tea on Saturday. Start at 3pm. I will wear a black tie

Seriously though, hasn't the club outsourced catering to the Flying Horse group. They have their own facilities to promote too and not sure there is ever enough profit if two parties need to take a good slice. Of course we could bring function catering back in house. Fathers day lunches, Easter carveries etc.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2023 23:29]
The fightback starts here on 09:46 - Apr 25 with 4947 views49thseason

The fightback starts here on 19:11 - Apr 24 by NorthernDale

I have been wondering about the facilities under the Wilbutts stand. There used to be an IT training facility there. And idnt Dunphy have offices there? I went into the IT suite once and it was very dark ( no windows) as I recall,....maybe a gym if its not being used? Or an after-school club?
The fightback starts here on 15:05 - Apr 25 with 4679 viewsAtThePeake

The fightback starts here on 09:46 - Apr 25 by 49thseason

I have been wondering about the facilities under the Wilbutts stand. There used to be an IT training facility there. And idnt Dunphy have offices there? I went into the IT suite once and it was very dark ( no windows) as I recall,....maybe a gym if its not being used? Or an after-school club?

There was a gym in there at one stage, but that was at least 15 years ago.

Tangled up in blue.

The fightback starts here on 16:08 - Apr 25 with 4546 viewsDale_flow

My idea is to increase floating fans attendance via a bus or several busses that set off maybe from Littleborough, Castleton, Bacup and Norden which take an indirect route to the ground covering as much ground as feasible and allow fans to be picked up on route and buy a ticket for the match on the bus. Maybe that's too complicated but a single bus from littleborough to the town centre and then ground could be a starting point, you buy your ticket on the bus and hence hope to encourage floating fans and last minute decisions to attend. It may also help attendance on those Rochdale weather days when going out of the house is a considered decision.
The fightback starts here on 16:09 - Apr 25 with 4540 viewsDale_flow

Also what about a Dale person in Town on a match day selling tickets, bit obvious and probably mentioned elsewhere previously.

Must be some tech to pay on a card and get an emailed ticket or QR code or something smarter than me.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2023 16:15]
The fightback starts here on 16:46 - Apr 25 with 4438 viewsJames1980

The fightback starts here on 16:09 - Apr 25 by Dale_flow

Also what about a Dale person in Town on a match day selling tickets, bit obvious and probably mentioned elsewhere previously.

Must be some tech to pay on a card and get an emailed ticket or QR code or something smarter than me.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2023 16:15]

I've mentioned Brighton's free travel scheme in the past https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/club/stadiums/the-amex-stadium/transport/f

It has been said that it wouldn't make enough of a difference to attendances but still think it could be worth discussing with a representative from TFGM

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

The fightback starts here on 18:28 - Apr 25 with 4296 viewsDale_flow

Thanks James, I do re recall travel mentioned and seems likely by your good self. It would be interesting to know how attendance was affected when this was brought in at Brighton. The fact that it continues suggests to me it is worth doing. I recall being in town having a beer on Saturdays past with a few mates and realising Dale were at home and fancying going. If the bus was their we would likely be on it. It's just a thought, and some other ideas are clearly more of a priority. I like the dark kitchen one because you could set it up to have Indian, Chinese and pizzas under one roof assuming room and what a unique selling point for a family to order everything people want from one place.
The fightback starts here on 18:52 - Apr 25 with 4252 viewsJames1980

The fightback starts here on 18:28 - Apr 25 by Dale_flow

Thanks James, I do re recall travel mentioned and seems likely by your good self. It would be interesting to know how attendance was affected when this was brought in at Brighton. The fact that it continues suggests to me it is worth doing. I recall being in town having a beer on Saturdays past with a few mates and realising Dale were at home and fancying going. If the bus was their we would likely be on it. It's just a thought, and some other ideas are clearly more of a priority. I like the dark kitchen one because you could set it up to have Indian, Chinese and pizzas under one roof assuming room and what a unique selling point for a family to order everything people want from one place.

I'm told that the free travel scheme was introduced when they moved to the Amex to encourage people to use public transport and not to drive to the ground.

The fightback starts here on 19:26 - Apr 25 with 4171 views49thseason

More ideas added... 36 now thanks everyone!
The fightback starts here on 19:29 - Apr 25 with 4167 viewsShun

The fightback starts here on 09:46 - Apr 25 by 49thseason

There are a few offices in there that the club rent out. They’re quite small and narrow. Currently one of them is being rented by HMR community nurses but they’re due to move out in the next few months. Unless they’re replaced by another tenant, that’s one long-standing revenue we’ll be missing out on.
The fightback starts here on 19:29 - Apr 25 with 4167 viewsDale_flow

So not quite for the same reason. Any way its all food for thought.
The fightback starts here on 23:30 - Apr 25 with 3943 viewswatford_dale

The fightback starts here on 18:52 - Apr 25 by James1980

I'm told that the free travel scheme was introduced when they moved to the Amex to encourage people to use public transport and not to drive to the ground.

When Brighton played at the Withdean, the match ticket used to include travel on rail to the stadium (well, athletics track) from Brighton.

In Germany, match ticket guarantees local travel.

Milwaukee Brewers - out of city stadium but every bar had a booze bus and would take you to the game and back again.
The fightback starts here on 23:43 - Apr 25 with 3923 viewsJames1980

The fightback starts here on 23:30 - Apr 25 by watford_dale

When Brighton played at the Withdean, the match ticket used to include travel on rail to the stadium (well, athletics track) from Brighton.

In Germany, match ticket guarantees local travel.

Milwaukee Brewers - out of city stadium but every bar had a booze bus and would take you to the game and back again.

Apologies a colleague told me the travel started when they went to the Amex but now you mention it I do recall it started when they were at the Withdean.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024