Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U'sual Champions League 2023 - Final 15:29 - Jun 5 with 1524 viewswessex_exile

Here goes for the U'sual Champions League 2023 final, between unitedwhites and noah4x4, and 3rd place play-off between thrillseeker and oxfcolu.

The Champions League Final
10/06/2023: Manchester City v Inter Milan (kick-off 8pm)

Predictions
There are nine categories to predict, so please either post here or PM me your predictions, and I will reveal when I have them all. For categories C-H, as usual there will be 2pts if spot-on, and one point for whoever is closest (or 1pt each if equidistant). Deadline for all predictions is kick-off at 8pm on Saturday.

(A) Result - 3pts spot-on, 1pt for the outcome; 
(B) Goal scorer - pick one, get 1pt for each goal they score (including own goals); 
(C) Attempts on target - 2pts for spot-on, 1pt if closest;
(D) Attempts off target - ditto; 
(E) Corners - ditto; 
(F) Fouls - ditto; 
(G) Yellow cards - ditto (a straight red is not two yellows); and 
(H) Red cards - ditto (two yellows will count as two yellows and one red). 
(TB) The tie-break is the minute for the first substitution, closest (either side) wins. In the unlikely event that there are no substitutions, this will be counted as 0 (zero) minutes. Substitutions in injury-time will be counted as 45' or 90'.

The small print
Note that for the final alone, a spot-on result will not count towards the tie-break, it's just the total points scored. 

All predictions will be for the normal time match, extra-time or penalties will not count. The only questions you can't match exactly on are (A), (B) and (TB), so whilst there is no tie-break advantage to predicting first, predicting last may mean not having the options preferred available. 

All stats will be taken from the BBC Sport website, just in case there are discrepancies elsewhere.

Good luck everyone!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

U'sual Champions League 2023 - Final on 22:23 - Jun 5 with 1493 viewsunitedwhites

A.3-1
B.haaland de brunye
C.15
D.23
E.7
F.17
G.6
H.0
TB.60 MINS
GOOD LUCK NOAH
U'sual Champions League 2023 - Final on 05:45 - Jun 6 with 1478 viewsnoah4x4

Good Luck too UnitedWhites.

You posting first and nabbing Haarland gives you an advantage, and sets me an interesting tactical conundrum. There is no value in me matching any of your predictions. It’s now simply a case of me choosing +1 or -1 higher or lower than you. However, I think I have an edge on TB given that my nearest to selection embraces the entire first half plus it’s added time, plus a further seven minutes extended in H2. Plenty of scope for one of these prima-donnas to break a finger nail.

A. 2 - 0
B. Alvarez & Mahrez
C.14
D.24
E.8
F.18
G.5
H.0
TB.45 MINS (hence during first half injury time or at interval).
[Post edited 6 Jun 2023 6:01]
U'sual Champions League 2023 - Final on 06:28 - Jun 6 with 1460 viewswessex_exile

Thanks chaps. For the final it’s just one goal scorer, so I’ll take your first choices unless you say otherwise, and to clarify, a half time substitution is actually the 46th minute, as they come on literally as the second half kicks off.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2023 - Final on 06:45 - Jun 6 with 1458 viewsthrillseeker

(A) City 3 IM O
(B) Haaland
(C) 12
(D)12
(E) 10
(F) 19
(G) 6
(H) 1
(TB) 46
U'sual Champions League 2023 - Final on 18:23 - Jun 6 with 1441 viewsnoah4x4

U'sual Champions League 2023 - Final on 06:28 - Jun 6 by wessex_exile

Thanks chaps. For the final it’s just one goal scorer, so I’ll take your first choices unless you say otherwise, and to clarify, a half time substitution is actually the 46th minute, as they come on literally as the second half kicks off.

Leave mine at 45th minute as I will still be nearer to the 46th minute.

If UnitedWhites takes Haarland, I bags De Brunye

Thanks
[Post edited 6 Jun 2023 18:26]
U'sual Champions League 2023 - Final on 00:24 - Jun 7 with 1421 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League 2023 - Final on 18:23 - Jun 6 by noah4x4

Leave mine at 45th minute as I will still be nearer to the 46th minute.

If UnitedWhites takes Haarland, I bags De Brunye

Thanks
[Post edited 6 Jun 2023 18:26]

45th minute and De Bruyne it is then - thanks Noah.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2023 - Final - FAO oxfcolu on 11:57 - Jun 8 with 1359 viewswessex_exile

Still a few days to go, but just going to bump this for the attention of oxfcolu.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2023 - Final on 22:11 - Jun 9 with 1326 viewsoxfcolu

(A) 3-1
(B) Stones
(C) 4
(D) 1
(E) 18
(F) 21
(G) 7
(H) 1
(TB) 17
Login to get fewer ads

U'sual Champions League 2023 - Final on 19:52 - Jun 10 with 1301 viewswessex_exile

Eyes down for the final then, and with ten minutes to kick-off, here are the combined predictions:

If time permits, I will do a half-time update, it just depends on the lag for the BBC Sport website updating their stats.

I can also now reveal that the U'sual Champions League competition for next season onwards will be in the hands of the most excellent mfb_cufc - thank you Mick for volunteering to take this over!

Good luck everyone!

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2023 - Final on 20:38 - Jun 10 with 1295 viewswessex_exile

Bad news for noah4x4 - De Bruyne taken off injured in the 36th minute, though good news for the tie-break if it's needed.

edit: 36th minute
[Post edited 10 Jun 2023 20:40]

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2023 - Final on 21:06 - Jun 10 with 1275 viewswessex_exile

Half-time, and the game has yet to ignite, as Inter hold Man City 0-0.

The U'sual Champions League positions are as follows:

unitedwhites currently holds a narrow 5-4 lead, but there's plenty of match to go. noah4x4 will be disappointed to lose De Bruyne as his goal scorer, but he does now have the tie-break decision if it's needed.

A similarly close affair, with thrillseeker holding a narrow 4-3 lead, and he does also have the tie-break in the bag if it's needed. Lots still to play for, and oxfcolu is right on his heels.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2023 - Final on 22:03 - Jun 10 with 1267 viewswessex_exile

Just waiting for the final stats, because I think there was a crucial 6th yellow card right at the death.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2023 - Final on 22:08 - Jun 10 with 1264 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League 2023 - Final on 22:03 - Jun 10 by wessex_exile

Just waiting for the final stats, because I think there was a crucial 6th yellow card right at the death.

Confirmed, Inter Milan manager Simone Inzaghi was shown a yellow card in the 96th minute, results to follow.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2023 - Final on 22:28 - Jun 10 with 1249 viewsnoah4x4

Was the Managers yellow card before or after the final whistle?
U'sual Champions League 2023 - Final on 22:34 - Jun 10 with 1245 viewswessex_exile

The match has finished Man City 1 Inter Milan 0, and Citeh have completed the treble, to put them back on an equal footing with their near-neighbours Man United. Remarkable to think I can remember not that long ago (for me) being at Maine Road to see the U's playing against them as equals in League 1. Needless to say, everyone predicted a win for Man City, but no spot-ons in what turned out to be a surprisingly close game.

The U'sual Champions League 3rd place

For the 3rd place play-off, thrillseeker ultimately dominated the competition with 7 points, picking up points across the board, but particularly that 6th yellow card for 2pts. Commiserations to oxfcolu who was right in the mix at half-time, but as the stats racked up in the second half, it wasn't to be.

The U'sual Champions League Final

This couldn't have been a more nail-biting finish, but manager Inzaghi's 96th minute yellow card means congratulations to unitedwhites as the UCL winner for 2023, snatching 2pts for his spot-on prediction of 6 yellow cards to finish with 7pts. Commiserations must go to noah4x4, because without that last minute yellow card, he was home and hosed as the winner.

Congratulations to unitedwhites as champion of the 2023 U'sual Champions League, and best wishes to mfb_cufc going forward.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2023 22:39]

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2023 - Final on 22:35 - Jun 10 with 1243 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League 2023 - Final on 22:28 - Jun 10 by noah4x4

Was the Managers yellow card before or after the final whistle?

Before I'm afraid chap.

Edit: not that it would have mattered, Junior’s two yellows and a red after full-time at Donny would have still counted.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2023 22:45]

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2023 - Final on 23:27 - Jun 10 with 1217 viewsnoah4x4

U'sual Champions League 2023 - Final on 22:35 - Jun 10 by wessex_exile

Before I'm afraid chap.

Edit: not that it would have mattered, Junior’s two yellows and a red after full-time at Donny would have still counted.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2023 22:45]

Congratulations to United Whites, but I have twice watched the BT/YouTube stream back and it isn't conclusive that a yellow card was given, judging from either the TV images or verbal commentary, The referee does appear to run towards the technical area, but is never actually seen on the stream with a card in his hand, nor any verification given. However, if there is another source that verifies that a card was given BEFORE the final whistle, then fair enough.

However, if it had been given post final whistle (like Junior), the stated competition rule is "All predictions will be for the NORMAL TIME match", which surely concludes at the final whistle? Happy to concede, as in all likelihood the referee did brandish a card when he ran to the technical area. However, for the future avoidance of doubt, we should perhaps better define what we mean by "Normal Time". But as ever, a great competition Wessex.
U'sual Champions League 2023 - Final on 00:15 - Jun 11 with 1190 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League 2023 - Final on 23:27 - Jun 10 by noah4x4

Congratulations to United Whites, but I have twice watched the BT/YouTube stream back and it isn't conclusive that a yellow card was given, judging from either the TV images or verbal commentary, The referee does appear to run towards the technical area, but is never actually seen on the stream with a card in his hand, nor any verification given. However, if there is another source that verifies that a card was given BEFORE the final whistle, then fair enough.

However, if it had been given post final whistle (like Junior), the stated competition rule is "All predictions will be for the NORMAL TIME match", which surely concludes at the final whistle? Happy to concede, as in all likelihood the referee did brandish a card when he ran to the technical area. However, for the future avoidance of doubt, we should perhaps better define what we mean by "Normal Time". But as ever, a great competition Wessex.

I'm not sure what more I can say Noah. I was listening to the commentary, and the yellow card was clearly issued before the final whistle. But even if it hadn't been, my clarification regarding Junior makes it clear that it counts as part of the game.

I get that you're disappointed for not winning a competition you've previously expressed no interest in, and again my commiserations that you didn't win, but can't we rather celebrate unitedwhites for doing so right now?

I'm sure Mick will take your many observations about the competition into consideration.

Up the U's

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024