Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tigers at Layer Road 21:11 - Sep 23 with 34299 viewsSparkfilmsTV

In a strange twist of events l found myself in conversation with a young lady who had attended Layer Road for a match against Hull City in our first season in The Championship. The 5-1 encounter.

We were attending a promo evening for a band called The Datsuns in North London in 2008.

During the evening she explained that she had been present at a party that made the national news due to the tragic death of someone by the name of Mark Blanco.

The incident occurred in December 2006.

This incident will be shown on Channel 4 on Monday night at 22.00 in an hour long documentary and several people known to me have made contributions.

It may be of interest to some.

I am very much hoping that the police will reinvestigate the death of Mark Blanco as a result of what will be included in the content.

I know that what l was told by this young lady 15 years ago has been instrumental in the making of this documentary.
Tigers at Layer Road on 21:40 - Jul 28 with 751 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Back to the indie music scene circa 2003. I was playing some Primal Scream early this morning and l can usually identify who is singing what on particular tracks....but when l checked to see who the female vocalist was on 'Some Velvet Morning' it wasn't who l expected ...but possibly influenced by Dot Allison - it was in fact none other than Kate Moss and she does a pretty good job....there were the familiar names on the production that l would expect to find, and it was always interesting to catch up with these guys and discuss recording techniques.

The single only charted at No.44 and l wonder if Kate even registered this for royalties.....not that it would have significantly increased her already very high income stream.

Just to confirm that the lyrics are by Lee Hazlewood, so this was an interesting reworking of the original that Bobby Gillespie covered.....and I wonder if Kate Moss was available to perform this live at any time on tour.

I have just listened to the original recording from the Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood album released in 1967 and it is sublime.
[Post edited 28 Jul 22:05]
Tigers at Layer Road on 17:34 - Aug 9 with 611 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Quite a few late nights here, in fact some all nighters working on the new book.

The entire production has been made by hand using collages as media for the word / image process.

Some of the new pieces in the book are included on this thread and were written virtually live onto 'The U'sual' during the past few months.

I did an 18 hour shift on Monday with musical backdrop from Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Diamond Head, White Lies, Wolf Alice, The Amazon's etc to get me through - and toast and coffee to keep me going.

Sending best wishes to all from Colchester Central.

😊😊🦮🦮
Tigers at Layer Road on 22:13 - Aug 16 with 524 viewsSparkfilmsTV

'TAXI RIDE IN BLACK TIGHTS'

Taken from 'Assessing Street Value'

Kelly travels light

Takes a back seat taxi ride

Got a tooth brush

Got a hair brush

She don't need much

And she don't say much

Kelly travels light

Takes in all the sights

A Mosque

The vape shops

But the road ahead is taped off

And they have to take a right

Kelly travels light

Carrier bag

Pair of tights

She's just away for the night

She's off to the other side of town

Head full of music

Sun going down

Kelly travels light

Takes a back seat taxi ride

Got a tooth brush

Got a hair brush

She don't need much

And she don't say much

But she's taking it all in

Most goes over

Visual white noise

She's the observer

And she travels light

No requirement

For faith or religion

By the time she was eight

She'd made that decision

Kelly doesn't say much

She doesn't mix much

She's not looking for love

Kelly doesn't want to get close

She travels light

Carrier bag

Pair of tights

Note to above - had to give the latest writing project a new title as 'Lesbian Espionage' was causing a bit of friction with an artist's agent over the pond. I am contemplating changing a word too on 'The Ballad of Lily Allen' as l want to protect that young lady from any negative comment on her past life that may be connected to substances ( although there was a degree of poetic licence ). The actual piece about Lily is complimentary although it is unlikely she will have any recall of our communication in '05.

[Post edited 16 Aug 23:02]
Tigers at Layer Road on 11:21 - Sep 8 with 375 viewsSparkfilmsTV

A quick hello from the Essex port of Harwich and a thank you to those of you still following this thread that l have not had time to add to recently.

Hopefully a little more to come that may include some interesting information relating to Jack Kerouac who died in 1969.

🦮🦮😊😊
Tigers at Layer Road on 18:06 - Sep 8 with 316 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Jack Kerouac. It must have been during the summer of 2005 that l discovered that Kerouac, Peter Doherty and myself shared the same birthday - March 12.

I mentioned this to a Beat Generation lecturer based in Cambodia a few weeks ago and we discussed the letter that Kerouac had received from Neal Cassady in 1950 that only resurfaced in 2012 having been considered lost by Kerouac who had loaned it to Allen Ginsberg.

Jack Kerouac died 19 years after first receiving the letter but had always acknowledged that the writing style of Cassady contained in the 16,000 word epic was the style blueprint for On the Road.

As it happens, Ginsberg had acted in good faith - as he did throughout his entire life and had passed the letter on to a publisher in the hope of getting a deal for Cassady.

As l am now finding out, the Kerouac estate has some interesting dynamics and it has been quite some journey seeing how things unravelled.

Jack Kerouac had a daughter - Jan, and her far too short life was likely affected by her father's Will that she was not included in. In her final years she believed that Jack's signature on the Will had been forged.

Cassady's letter to Kerouac eventually sold for under £200,000 at auction with a three way split after a series of legal challenges to ownership.

Just to confirm - On the Road was typed on a one hundred and twenty foot roll of tracing paper that was exhibited in the UK a few years ago.

Cassady's letter to Kerouac was on nine pages which were double sided and include some colourful cameos of life.

As for Allen Ginsberg, l am hoping the signed copy of Howl that l used to read at The Sloman Library at Essex University is still in safe keeping.
Tigers at Layer Road on 18:33 - Sep 10 with 240 viewsSparkfilmsTV

I found an A5 orange note book that appears to belong to a cleaner who is working at a hotel in the North Station Road area of Colchester.

The notes list details on the state of the rooms and the state of the individuals who occupy those rooms.

Here is an extract.

'When l went to Room xx the door was ajar. I still knocked. It was quiet so l entered with my appliances. There was a woman laying on the bed. I said 'Good morning, sorry to disturb you'. She didn't answer. I took a look at her and panicked as she did not appear to be breathing. I shook her and nothing happened so l ran to reception and there was no one there. Then l saw xxxxx and we ran back inside the room. This must have been around 30 seconds, no more. The woman had gone. We looked all round the room, the bathroom....along the corridors and out into the car park. The occupant of the room was supposed to be a white male and we couldn't locate him.

TBC.
Tigers at Layer Road on 20:06 - Sep 10 with 230 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Having studied the content further the note book appears to be a record for the hotel establishment as there is different handwriting and instructions that suggest hangovers on shifts. As these refer to July 2024 l doubt they are of much use to anyone now.

Here are further extracts.

July 25

Room XX - New client coming today, single lady with 5 year old.

See sign in sheet etc. Place folder in register if not arrived.

Check Room XX. Had unknown lady go upstairs with him last night. Please notify him outside guests not allowed.

Tell him 'No noisy gatherings'.

Young child coming into X today.

Man who police arrested said only came back to room to get something.

No door handle on Room XX.

Room XX. Occupant won't let anyone in. Keeps shouting xxxx off. Police called again as he is considered a risk to himself.

Television missing. Curtains ripped down. Bathroom mirror broken in Room X.

Bannister broken. Pulled from wall.

Room XX. Two women in bed at midday. Don't know if they came in during the night. Occupant of room in police custody still.

Man in Room X hasn't spoken a word for three days. Keeps staring at the wall and rocking backwards and forwards. Don't enter this room alone.

Room XX. Hovered and sprayed twice again. Had to destroy all bed linen. Blood on wall.

Council having to see Room XX. Sent pics.

Carpet in Room X has been slashed with sharpe blade. Entire length of room. Inform council.

Room XX. Television thrown from window. Damage to taxi. Remote in wash basin which was left on and flooded room and seeped into Room XX and down into Room X. Water stains on reception ceiling. Rubber plants thrown into road.
Table destroyed. Burn marks up wall.
[Post edited 10 Sep 20:23]
Tigers at Layer Road on 18:51 - Sep 11 with 166 viewsSparkfilmsTV

LETTER TO THE DEAD

Dear Sharon

I learned of your passing this morning.

I don't think l ever thanked you for introducing me to the works of Charles Bukowski in 1975.

You were ahead of your time.

And even further ahead of mine.

You were always intellectually stimulating.

Something that l didn't fully appreciate at the time.

I was too busy being involved in sport at the weekends and all these year's on, l cannot believe that l subjected you to 'Match of the Day' on a Saturday night.

You would be reading your books and took no interest in most mainstream television.

You were right.

I was wrong, and l only weened myself off of that xxxx around the nineties.

You got your dream job at the BBC.

The commute from your house share in Lexden Road was short lived.

Your small flat in Maida Vale was a miniature library.

I wish now that l had borrowed some of your books.

But rest assured, it being almost fifty years further on, l am trying to make up for lost time.

I always wondered if you had children.

You would have been a good mother.

Sending a kiss and a hug to your resting place in heaven.

Thanking you for teaching me about the important things in life.

Ray.
Login to get fewer ads

Tigers at Layer Road on 16:37 - Sep 15 with 81 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Some football content for my never ending thread is long overdue.

I visited Deia Sakal, daughter of Peter Sakal who died recently and was the owner of GFM who are located in Hawkins Road, Colchester.

Deia is currently running Peter's 12 companies and the purpose of my visit was to explain how 'UK Holiday's in The Sun' came into being and the work we did before this in a hectic 10 year period.

During the conversation the odd football snippet surfaced.

Here is one such example.

Peter set off from his home in Pebmarsh early on a Saturday morning on route to a butchers in Halstead ( l think ). He had his son Ben with him in the child seat. I think Ben must have been about two years old at the time.

As l recall, Peter collected the large beef joint for the Sunday lunch but rather than returning home, and purely on a whim, decided to drive all the way up to Carlisle where Colchester United were playing with a 15.00 hours kick off.

So the beef and Ben had a massive round trip.

Deia liked this story. This was several years before she was born.

On other occasions Peter and l would often take turns in driving to the likes of Hartlepool, Darlington and Wrexham.

At Hartlepool we came across Martin Battle who used to play football for Colne Lodge. He had moved up North from Colchester. We lost 2 - 1.

The Darlington trip was the 2 - 1 victory with Robert Scott wheeling away arm raised as the Colchester fans who occupied an entire side of Feethams raised the roof in celebration.

At Wrexham we led 2 - 1 with minutes to go but lost 2 - 3. Ben Sakal came to this match too.

I remember Deia when she was a week old being held in Debbie Sakal's arms in the kitchen over at Barn House in Pebmarsh.

As l was best man at Peter's wedding there will always be a powerful connection to the family.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024