Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park 11:14 - Oct 24 with 1899 viewsdurham_exile

Harold Wilson is considered to have said “a week is a long time in politics” but I prefer JFK’s masterly “Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past, let us accept our own responsibility for the future.”

Just when we thought things could get no worse we contrived to lose to Harrogate Town a side that had never won at the JCS before.

And so, Ben Garner paid the price and was summarily dismissed. There was no mutually agreed to part company statement simply a stark dismissal.

Now the squad this season has been assembled with a view to a top six budget but injuries have combined to impact negatively on the team.

Kells and Nico Lawrence amongst those to be sorely missed recently. Indiscipline on a gargantuan scale has not helped and the unsavoury scenes after the humiliation at FGR were perhaps the writing on the wall.

However, a conspiracy theorist might wonder about the fact that the backroom staff remain in place and it is only BG who has departed.

Matty Etherington the 42-year-old former player and currently U21 coach has been put in temporary charge and he will be supported by Scott Marshall Assistant Head Coach and First Team Coach Dave Hussey. Liam Bailey steps up to coach the U21 side.

There is no shortage of would-be managers lining up:

Neil Harris
Steve Morison
Steve (Sombrero) Cotterill
Andy Woodman
David Artell
Karl Robinson
Nathan Jones
John McGreal
Danny Cowley
Lee Bowyer

The bookies have not surprisingly placed Etherington (ME) as the favourite to succeed BG.

Now this is a decision that the Chairman simply has to get right this time. Any mistake will almost certainly cost the club its league status. We are at the last chance saloon.

An external appointment must be made and the person must be given the chance to turn results around. It may be time for Karl Robinson to bring his considerable experience at this level to the JCS.

Gerry impishly suggested yours truly be given the job on an interim basis and whilst an enthusiastic and optimistic supporter my management of a football team only extends to weekend teenage football. So, I am certain of the appointment!!!!! I will be at the Grimsby game tonight with my youngest son and then on Saturday at Accrington with both sons and my granddaughter who will be attending her first Colchester United game. That must be an omen for good.

So, who can ME call upon tonight.

First he is fortunate to have Arthur Read back after serving his three-match suspension. Then Jay Mingi is available after his suspension too.

Samson Tovide hopefully will be back after his bizarre warm up injury on Saturday.

So, the squad should be from:

Goodman
Greenidge
Hall
Dallison
Jay
Bandeira
Tovide
Chilvers
Smith
Egbo
Hopper
Read
McGeehan
Mingi
Kennedy
Kazeem
Cooper
Terry
Ihionvien
Taylor
Mitchell

We have joked about reverting to the tried and trusted 2,3,5 formation but ME has little time for such experimentation, he has to select 18 squad members to win the match tonight and look towards back-to-back wins at Accrington Stanley.

Nothing to it really! Now the players clearly have not been giving of their all recently. I went to the Bradford games, Walsall and Crewe and have seen a number on iFollow. We should have garnered far more points (no pun intended) than the ten so far accumulated.

Grimsby 14 14
Tranmere 14 10
FGR 13 10
COL U 13 10
Sutton 14 7

BG was beginning to get the players to play neat attacking football but they failed to convert the many chances that came their way. He did at least revert to two strikers which all the faithful agreed was sensible. A quarter of the way through the season and the fans are wondering where the 40 more points for survival are coming from this season.

Paul Hirst at Grimsby is another manager with a struggling team.

ME needs to go for the following tonight in a 4,4,2:

Goodman

Egbo Mitchell Hall Dallison

Cooper Read McGeehan Edwards

Taylor Tovide

Subs
Smith Greenidge Kazeem Chilvers Bandeira Fevrier Ihionvien

The weather tonight in North East Lincolnshire is set to be 11 degrees Celsius with a 20% chance of rain and cloudy at kick off.

Grimsby (Cleethorpes) on an Autumnal Tuesday night is one of those fixtures that is virtually etched into the calendar.

I am predicting a classic 3-2 to the U’s and the players to be applauded from the field after a sterling performance.

Safe travelling to the faithful.

Enjoy the game.

Get behind the team.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 23:32 - Oct 26 with 327 viewsdurham_exile

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 23:18 - Oct 25 by RSCOSWORTH

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/colchester-goalkeeper-owen-goodman-scor

Poor Owen! Like noah though I still don't understand why it's a Goodman own goal and not Greenidge's.

RS
The unfortunate Goodman headed the ball into his own net and so it was his og.

Strangely enough despite the poor start I wasn't too concerned because we looked confident going forward and were the better side for large periods of the game.

The only time we made them look good was the ten minutes after half time when we were slow out of the blocks.

But the best team won and deservedly so.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 10:25 - Oct 27 with 299 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Mariners and Harry Haddock have had their chips tonight at Blundell Park on 23:32 - Oct 26 by durham_exile

RS
The unfortunate Goodman headed the ball into his own net and so it was his og.

Strangely enough despite the poor start I wasn't too concerned because we looked confident going forward and were the better side for large periods of the game.

The only time we made them look good was the ten minutes after half time when we were slow out of the blocks.

But the best team won and deservedly so.

Up the U's

In an attempt to save it though, if an attacker's shot that's on target had gone in via Goodman's ahead surely it would be the attacker's goal? Goodman didn't deflect the ball goalwards, it was already on target and he was just unable to keep it out.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024