Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground 19:15 - Jan 5 with 3672 viewsdurham_exile

If a week is a long time in politics then it must be an eternity in football.

On 30 December I posted about the likelihood of Joe Taylor (12 goals for the U’s) being recalled by Luton in the light of our poor league position and suitors from the Championship. However, it seems that league one clubs Bolton Wanderers and Lincoln City are keen to take the rooky striker on loan for the rest of the season. Rob Edwards is weighing up the options for JT and it would seem that he could play for the U’s this weekend ahead of this decision.

Colchester United began the New Year with an uninspiring narrow defeat to Kent rivals Gillingham on New Years Day. Within hours ME had been sacked in a terse 43 worded statement. And rightly so, I had written that ME had the Christmas games to start to make a difference and that the Gillingham game would determine his future and so it proved.

Then on Wednesday Conor Wilkinson signed on an 18-month deal from Motherwell. The 28-year-old striker was keen to put pen to paper.

Then on Thursday Danny and Nicky Cowley were appointed by the club as the new Head Coach pairing. DC and NC have long been coveted by the club (and especially by Moor_Pinot) and at last we have the dream team in place.

Listening to their first interview on Col U TV, I and many others are not only excited by the Cowleys desire to play attacking football but also to make Colchester become difficult to beat.

The entire club has been given a huge lift with their appointment and RC should be credited with moving quickly to secure their services.

In other news Salford City have not appointed Ryan Giggs as their new manager instead opting for experienced lower league manager Karl Robinson.

Now Danny Cowley took charge of training on Thursday and will be preparing the team for the County Ground test against Michael Flynn’s Swindon team who have just suffered the double blow of two loanees Dan Kemp and Jake Young returning to their parent clubs. Regardless of their situation they will be keen to secure the points on Saturday.

For the U’s Mauro Bandeira has returned to Arsenal and may be loaned out again. He failed to make the grade at Colchester and we wish him well for the future.

So, who will DC and NC select for the Wiltshire test:

Let’s go for this 4,4,2 formation.

Goodman

Dallison Mitchell Hall Iandolo

Fevrier Read Miranda Edwards

Wilkinson Taylor

Subs:
Hornby Jay Hopper Kazeem Cooper Ihionvien Akinde Chilvers (dependent upon Taylor’s availability). McGeehan also not available still suspended.

Obviously if Taylor is unavailable, then I would substitute Ihionvien instead.

That team is good enough to receive the new Manager and new striker bounce and secure a 3-1 victory.

Weather in Swindon will be 5 degrees Celsius and dry, partly sunny, perfect for football.

DC/NC will ensure more of the faithful travelling and it will be one of Wessex’s closest journeys of the season.

Safe journey to the travellers and enjoy the game.

The start of the Cowley era will be an exciting one for the club and just what we need to recharge our batteries after years in the doldrums.

Are the play offs still a possibility, certainly enough points are still available to make that a reality.

The Cowley factor cannot be discounted and if Taylor can be retained for the rest of the season. Dare to dream.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 5 Jan 22:41]

Durham_exile

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 20:07 - Jan 5 with 2625 viewswessex_exile

Closest Durham - it's a local bus ride away for me, and with Wiltshire bus fares capped at just £2 for a single journey, certainly my cheapest awayday of the season by a long chalk. We've been 'blessed' with Noah-like biblical rainfall for what seems like an eternity, but the clouds parted overnight and with minimal rain (if any) forecast for the next 24 hours or so at least, no danger the game won't be going ahead.

With the hype and wave of positivity surrounding the club right now, and Swindon seemingly embroiled in another financial mismanagement scandal, not to mention (as you've pointed out) they've had their two leading goalscorers called back by parent clubs, it's difficult not to get caught up in the anticipation that Danny will get his tenure off to a cracking start tomorrow. But, we must keep our feet on the ground. He and Nicky have their work cut out to change the mindset of the players, never mind rebooting their football brains to play more to their style.

So, whilst I obviously want to see the U's come away from the County Ground with all three points, I'm mentally prepared to accept less provided I see the shoots of a new start showing through on Saturday afternoon. The U's Faithful always show up and make some noise at Swindon, and I'm hoping the Cowley factor will add significantly to that - and just imagine what the JobServe will be like next weekend against Bradford, the club the Cowley's rejected in November, if we do the job tomorrow!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 20:45 - Jan 5 with 2610 viewsMoor_Pinot

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 20:07 - Jan 5 by wessex_exile

Closest Durham - it's a local bus ride away for me, and with Wiltshire bus fares capped at just £2 for a single journey, certainly my cheapest awayday of the season by a long chalk. We've been 'blessed' with Noah-like biblical rainfall for what seems like an eternity, but the clouds parted overnight and with minimal rain (if any) forecast for the next 24 hours or so at least, no danger the game won't be going ahead.

With the hype and wave of positivity surrounding the club right now, and Swindon seemingly embroiled in another financial mismanagement scandal, not to mention (as you've pointed out) they've had their two leading goalscorers called back by parent clubs, it's difficult not to get caught up in the anticipation that Danny will get his tenure off to a cracking start tomorrow. But, we must keep our feet on the ground. He and Nicky have their work cut out to change the mindset of the players, never mind rebooting their football brains to play more to their style.

So, whilst I obviously want to see the U's come away from the County Ground with all three points, I'm mentally prepared to accept less provided I see the shoots of a new start showing through on Saturday afternoon. The U's Faithful always show up and make some noise at Swindon, and I'm hoping the Cowley factor will add significantly to that - and just imagine what the JobServe will be like next weekend against Bradford, the club the Cowley's rejected in November, if we do the job tomorrow!

Yep, elated though I am at long last, unfair to expect much just yet.
I'll be content with division four survival this season.
I certainly don't expect anything much tomorrow either Wessex and will be pleased to know that we played well, showed some defensive grit and satisfied the faithful like you.

Too far for me yet from Bodmin moor with an old car and still making the transition from changing countries and cultures (& don't even mention brexit) but I'll be thrilled with a sneaky 1-1.

Safe (bus) journey. And I'd start Jay ahead of Chilvers who needs a talking to before he merits automatic selection.

Up the now potentially 'professional at long last' U's .

Moor Pinot

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 20:52 - Jan 5 with 2602 viewsnoah4x4

I accept no responsibility for the recent biblical downpour. However, I do recall the evening fixture at Swindon where conditions were so torrential that in my blog I described the solo ball boy on the open terrace as “could not be wetter if strapped to the prow of a herring trawler in a gale”. He was our man of the match, reluctant to come out of shelter, and his magnificent time wasting in our favour was awesome.

Not sure if it was the same evening, but I declared my love for JT when we discovered a Swindon Valentines Day BOGOF ticket offer for “couples”. I reckon that half of the CUSA coach became gender agnostic that evening whilst the oddest pairings held hands and took advantage of the once in a lifetime opportunity. Bulk divorce and much hand washing occurred once inside. Always a good day out, Swindon.

But there was only one away fan friendly pub last time, and no admission to the cricket club, after we had walked miles, so I guess I will see you there Wessex. Hope our optimism is not misplaced.
Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 20:59 - Jan 5 with 2598 viewsdurham_exile

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 20:07 - Jan 5 by wessex_exile

Wessex enjoy the game.

Three points and then bring on the Bantams.

£4 on the bus is an absolute bargain.

I could use my bus pass but it would be a day each way from Durham to Swindon.

Salford is my next game.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 23:19 - Jan 5 with 2535 viewsburnsieespana

Enjoy the day guys as I am hopeful of a real Cowley bounce from uplifted players after the pre-match team talk.
Always fancied us for a point but he changed my two projections on here to an away win for us!
Don't think I can recall so much optimism arbiter such a bleak Monday.
RC must be congratulated on really going for broke and I have enjoyed listening and reading Danny and Nicky's comments. The silly old fool has read and watched them about 3 times to convince himself.
Essex team Managed by true Essex Boys.
Up the U's.
Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 23:50 - Jan 5 with 2527 viewswessex_exile

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 20:52 - Jan 5 by noah4x4

I accept no responsibility for the recent biblical downpour. However, I do recall the evening fixture at Swindon where conditions were so torrential that in my blog I described the solo ball boy on the open terrace as “could not be wetter if strapped to the prow of a herring trawler in a gale”. He was our man of the match, reluctant to come out of shelter, and his magnificent time wasting in our favour was awesome.

Not sure if it was the same evening, but I declared my love for JT when we discovered a Swindon Valentines Day BOGOF ticket offer for “couples”. I reckon that half of the CUSA coach became gender agnostic that evening whilst the oddest pairings held hands and took advantage of the once in a lifetime opportunity. Bulk divorce and much hand washing occurred once inside. Always a good day out, Swindon.

But there was only one away fan friendly pub last time, and no admission to the cricket club, after we had walked miles, so I guess I will see you there Wessex. Hope our optimism is not misplaced.

I remember that game very well Noah - it was the boy stood on the burning deck, but with a force ten gale in his face. You couldn't imagine a more perfect image of utter dejection. Can't remember if that was the same occasion as your 'betrothal' with JT, but hey - what happens in Swindon stays in Swindon I reckon!

If I have time, the Merlin on Drove Road (B4006), about 5 minutes walk south of the ground, has always been a welcoming venue for home and away alike. Otherwise, I'll see you in our away bar bunker at the ground. Safe travelling to you and all the Faithful!

Up the U's

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 09:58 - Jan 6 with 2462 viewsnoah4x4

Yes, that’s it Wessex, the Merlin, a short walk from the Magic Roundabout. No other away fan friendly pub nearby.

Full CUSA bus. You can smell the optimism.
Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 10:20 - Jan 6 with 2448 viewsdurham_exile

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 09:58 - Jan 6 by noah4x4

Yes, that’s it Wessex, the Merlin, a short walk from the Magic Roundabout. No other away fan friendly pub nearby.

Full CUSA bus. You can smell the optimism.

And the breakfast at Membury Services!

Enjoy the game.

Three points today and the Great Escape is on.
Three more next week and we can start to believe about Whisper it a top seven finish!!!!

Up the resurgent U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 10:24 - Jan 6 with 2445 viewswessex_exile

Looks like no Joe Taylor today.

Up the U's

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 10:35 - Jan 6 with 2438 viewsdurham_exile

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 10:24 - Jan 6 by wessex_exile

Looks like no Joe Taylor today.

No problem we've got Bradley and Conor.

Our loss is Bolton's gain!

Up the U's
[Post edited 6 Jan 10:35]

Durham_exile

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 10:49 - Jan 6 with 2426 viewsburnsieespana

Interesting comments by DC in Gazette stating stas show us in 8th place on first half performance but 24th on second half performance.
Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 12:26 - Jan 6 with 2386 viewsdurham_exile

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 10:49 - Jan 6 by burnsieespana

Interesting comments by DC in Gazette stating stas show us in 8th place on first half performance but 24th on second half performance.

Interesting burnsie and that is the result of conceding late goals in 14 games this season.

However, all that stops today.

The Cowleys will succeed where many others have failed.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 13:11 - Jan 6 with 2361 viewsdurham_exile

From the pictures the ground is dry, plenty of dark looking clouds but sunny intervals too.

Pitch looks ok too.

Less than one hour until we learn DC's first team sheet.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 14:07 - Jan 6 with 2324 viewsmfb_cufc

U's side to face Swindon: Goodman, Mitchell, Dallison, Hall, Miranda, Read, Fevrier, Iandolo, Chilvers, Jay, Hopper. Staying with 4-5-1 by the look of it.

U's subs v Swindon: Greenidge, Kazeem, Wilkinson, Edwards, Akinde, Ihionvien, Hornby

mfb

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 14:08 - Jan 6 with 2327 viewsdurham_exile

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 13:11 - Jan 6 by durham_exile

From the pictures the ground is dry, plenty of dark looking clouds but sunny intervals too.

Pitch looks ok too.

Less than one hour until we learn DC's first team sheet.

Up the U's

DC's first starting XI

Goodman

Dallison Mitchell Hall Iandolo

Read

Fevrier Chilvers Miranda

Jay

Hopper

Subs
Hornby Greenidge Wilkinson Edwards Akinde Kazeem Ihionvien

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 14:38 - Jan 6 with 2308 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Not a bad first game really. Swindon have lost five of their last six and have had their two top scorers recalled. Also with it being an away game the squad will have been together since yesterday morning probably so a bit more time for the new management team to get their ideas and way of playing across. Can I just say that if Etherington had starter Hopper the fans would’ve gone crazy but yet it’s ok when Cowley does it. Not sure I’ve ever seen a manager receive such a backing from the fans quite so quickly.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 15:22 - Jan 6 with 2272 viewsdurham_exile

Have just seen the penalty.

The award was soft and Austin put it straight down the middle.
18 mins

Come on let's get back into this.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 15:47 - Jan 6 with 2241 viewsdurham_exile

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 15:22 - Jan 6 by durham_exile

Have just seen the penalty.

The award was soft and Austin put it straight down the middle.
18 mins

Come on let's get back into this.

Up the U's

Sloppy second goal just before half time.

Half time changes required.

Come on.

Durham_exile

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 15:51 - Jan 6 with 2227 viewsdurham_exile

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 15:47 - Jan 6 by durham_exile

Sloppy second goal just before half time.

Half time changes required.

Come on.

Great header from Dallison
2-1

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 16:07 - Jan 6 with 2190 viewsdurham_exile

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 15:51 - Jan 6 by durham_exile

Great header from Dallison
2-1

Come on the U's

Goal credited to Matt Jay but it looked to be Dallison's header.

Work to do but feeling confident.

Changes to be made .

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 16:23 - Jan 6 with 2174 viewsdurham_exile

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 16:07 - Jan 6 by durham_exile

Goal credited to Matt Jay but it looked to be Dallison's header.

Work to do but feeling confident.

Changes to be made .

Up the U's

Att 7,564

Durham_exile

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 16:32 - Jan 6 with 2163 viewsdurham_exile

Wilkinson and Akinde on for Hopper and Jay

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 16:42 - Jan 6 with 2140 viewsdurham_exile

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 16:32 - Jan 6 by durham_exile

Wilkinson and Akinde on for Hopper and Jay

Come on the U's

Edwards on for Mitchell.
Good attacking substitution.

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 16:47 - Jan 6 with 2119 viewsdurham_exile

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 16:42 - Jan 6 by durham_exile

Edwards on for Mitchell.
Good attacking substitution.

Come on the U's

Ihionvien on for Miranda

Come on

Durham_exile

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 16:56 - Jan 6 with 2089 viewsdurham_exile

Resurgent Super U's to clip Robins' wings at County Ground on 16:47 - Jan 6 by durham_exile

Ihionvien on for Miranda

Come on

Wilkinson back heeled equaliser

Get in

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024