Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to secure vital victory at soggy Gander Green Lane 18:35 - Feb 23 with 1962 viewsdurham_exile

DC has had another week to galvanise his troops ahead of the ultimate six pointer at Gander Green Lane against Sutton United.

The U’s have made one final, the Essex Senior Cup after defeating Hashtag United 3-2 on Tuesday night.

There are still six teams (at the moment) in the relegation mix, but Salford have hit some form at the right time.

Salford 33 39
Doncaster 32 36
COL U 32 30
Grimsby 31 29
FGR 32 23
Sutton 33 22

Steve Morison is in charge at Sutton and they (like many League Two clubs) have a healthy number of former U’s amongst their ranks – Omar Sowunmi, Ryan Jackson and Craig Eastmond. Former Cumbrian Omari Patrick is a danger man for them.

Quite frankly tomorrow is all about three points for the U’s. No excuses and no slip ups. Defeat for Sutton will virtually relegate them (even though it is still February) because they will be cut adrift and would require 25 more points from 12 matches to give them 47 and possible survival. With our vital game at Moor Lane to come on Tuesday night a handsome victory tomorrow will set us up nicely for that game.

FGR play in form side Tranmere tomorrow and Grimsby travel to Morecambe. Enough said.

Now it really is a question of fitness for Arthur Read. I suspect that he will get some game time but will not start the game. Should he be deemed to be fully fit then Chilvers would be benched instead but there is no point in risking him from the start at this stage. Will Harry Anderson start, possibly not and Owura Edwards will therefore be on the bench instead.

Kells and Tovide remain sidelined.

So,

Goodman

Richardson Harbottle Hall Iandolo

Fevrier McGeehan Smith

Chilvers

Ihionvien Hopper

Subs
Hornby Jay Mingi Wilkinson Dallison Edwards Read

The weather in South London will be 7 degrees Celsius with light rain and a gentle breeze.

For Wessex – Southern Trains are operating a normal Saturday service to Sutton Station (I don’t know whether that is a good thing or not!).

Safe journey to the travelling Faithful.

Scoreline, a professional job from DC and a 3-0 U’s victory. Bradley Ihionvien, Alistair Smith and Jayden Fevrier with the goals.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 23 Feb 20:30]

Durham_exile

Super U's to secure vital victory at soggy Gander Green Lane on 09:13 - Feb 25 with 448 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to secure vital victory at soggy Gander Green Lane on 21:46 - Feb 24 by wessex_exile

Excellent support as always, but to be honest poor performance overall. We controlled the game for the first 15 minutes or so, but once they got the goal back we largely remained on the back foot. It doesn't matter now, but I'm not so certain about our second being offside, though hard to tell from behind the goal. Great save from Goodman to preserve the point, but we didn't deserve more than that.

A win was required yesterday.
Difficult days ahead.

Tuesday night we play Salford without Vassell who was sent off on Saturday.

Then Stockport at home.

I was amazed to see Gillingham are now in the play off positions.

I do hope that the initial optimism has not been dissipated by all these drawn games.

However yesterday could have been worse without the penalty save.

What I fail to understand is our inability to convert chances into goals.

One thing is now sure it is any two from four to go down.

We simply must survive.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to secure vital victory at soggy Gander Green Lane on 09:28 - Feb 25 with 422 viewsWitham

We can blame the sticky pitch, we can blame the referee who missed several late challenges (and obvious fouls - you could hear the slap Akinde got to the face from 20 yards away) but in reality we had no outlet in the second half and invited them to attack. Either the linesman read the offside rule at halftime or Sutton knew how to beat it, but time and time again first half we got caught out.
And as at Harrogate too many (every?) corner went to their keeper.
Super U's to secure vital victory at soggy Gander Green Lane on 09:41 - Feb 25 with 418 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to secure vital victory at soggy Gander Green Lane on 09:28 - Feb 25 by Witham

We can blame the sticky pitch, we can blame the referee who missed several late challenges (and obvious fouls - you could hear the slap Akinde got to the face from 20 yards away) but in reality we had no outlet in the second half and invited them to attack. Either the linesman read the offside rule at halftime or Sutton knew how to beat it, but time and time again first half we got caught out.
And as at Harrogate too many (every?) corner went to their keeper.

Witham a grim picture indeed.

I am sure DC knows how we will survive but do some of the players

If only we had a goal poacher in our team. Oh yes we did have one but he is now on loan at Lincoln.

Perhaps Bradley Ihionvien can be given free rein at Moor Lane.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to secure vital victory at soggy Gander Green Lane on 12:00 - Feb 25 with 365 viewsfranksic1988

I’m sure like me, when we secured DC and NC I wasn’t expecting 1 win out of 7 games. FG Rovers, Sutton and Acc Stanley ( on that performance) had to be converted into 3 pointers….

I do 100% believe they will take us forward in the next season or so. But if you take their name away from them and past achievements, let’s just say it’s been an underwhelming start.

We do not seem to even be progressing weekly with a pattern of play. Or developing a real football style. DC after the match saying Sutton are the most awkward team we have played and really good team. I mean come on they’re the worst professional football team in England.

If we do not get a win out of Salford or Stockport at some point someone in the management team has to stand up and say we are getting things wrong ( or not as rite as they could be ). Granted we are not taking a thumping but we are struggling to win games.

The Jury is still out for me on DC and NC. It will be fairer to judge them this time next season. But as for saying they’re aiming for 12th this season …. What ever they was on at the time I’d like some please.
Super U's to secure vital victory at soggy Gander Green Lane on 12:01 - Feb 25 with 365 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to secure vital victory at soggy Gander Green Lane on 09:41 - Feb 25 by durham_exile

Witham a grim picture indeed.

I am sure DC knows how we will survive but do some of the players

If only we had a goal poacher in our team. Oh yes we did have one but he is now on loan at Lincoln.

Perhaps Bradley Ihionvien can be given free rein at Moor Lane.

Up the U's

Yes, I can feel your desperation Durham. At least if we went down we have a management who would be best placed to retrieve things. We all hope it'll not come to that.

For a number of seasons one of our weaknesses has been a lack of nouse and experience. The Cowleys have to try to fashion something from this group's version. Not easy. As you say Durham 'do the players know '. I reckon not. Get them over the reality hurdle and we might just progress.

But for now we have the same poor team that we've had for ages yet with some good players. As you and Witham acknowledge we also have no goalscorer - he left.
So the task remains. In the last seven games we have however become more difficult to beat - Cowleys' first aim - despite giving away three penalties in that time. Credit to Owen for preserving 3 points on his own. The defence has tightened, Chilvers has improved and Smith has been a good addition. We still miss Kelleher (drop Harbottle) and Samson.

What we need are a couple of wins. Get those and the management will have better confidence crumbs to feed into the dressing room and then I reckon we'll escape. Keep drawing and realistically losing to the Barrows, Mansfields etc though and the task to avoid the drop is harder.

Ultimately I think you have highlighted a paramount issue - player responsibility. We need them to cop on.

Oh and we'll beat Stockport by the way!

Up the redrawn U's.

Moor Pinot

Super U's to secure vital victory at soggy Gander Green Lane on 00:03 - Feb 26 with 261 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to secure vital victory at soggy Gander Green Lane on 12:01 - Feb 25 by Moor_Pinot

Yes, I can feel your desperation Durham. At least if we went down we have a management who would be best placed to retrieve things. We all hope it'll not come to that.

For a number of seasons one of our weaknesses has been a lack of nouse and experience. The Cowleys have to try to fashion something from this group's version. Not easy. As you say Durham 'do the players know '. I reckon not. Get them over the reality hurdle and we might just progress.

But for now we have the same poor team that we've had for ages yet with some good players. As you and Witham acknowledge we also have no goalscorer - he left.
So the task remains. In the last seven games we have however become more difficult to beat - Cowleys' first aim - despite giving away three penalties in that time. Credit to Owen for preserving 3 points on his own. The defence has tightened, Chilvers has improved and Smith has been a good addition. We still miss Kelleher (drop Harbottle) and Samson.

What we need are a couple of wins. Get those and the management will have better confidence crumbs to feed into the dressing room and then I reckon we'll escape. Keep drawing and realistically losing to the Barrows, Mansfields etc though and the task to avoid the drop is harder.

Ultimately I think you have highlighted a paramount issue - player responsibility. We need them to cop on.

Oh and we'll beat Stockport by the way!

Up the redrawn U's.

Absolutely agree Pinot,
A couple of victories are long overdue.

Our record at Moor Lane is decent.

And we owe Stockport big time for recent narrow defeats.

We still have the rearranged Mariners game to look forward to.

Samson Tovide is a little way off a return but I hope you g Bradley gets some first team meaningful minutes.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024