Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colchester United Chess Tournament? 17:49 - Mar 8 with 687 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Sounds as though some of the players are skilled at Chess.

It would be fun to have an open tournament at The Jobserve with players, fans, media and staff included.

Colchester United Chess Tournament? on 18:19 - Apr 7 with 540 viewsSparkfilmsTV

So no Chess at The Jobserve by the looks of things but quite a few little pockets of activity in Colchester recently.

I played a Nigerian gentleman today at the street art gallery ( EYESAW ) on my way to Sainsbury's and suffered a defeat after a pulsating game.

EYESAW is a fab environment for street art with some very notable contributors - several from London and Cambridge who are known nationally.

There were also chess players there today ( wide ranging age groups ) from Russia, Greece, Norway and the UK .

šŸ“šŸ“
Colchester United Chess Tournament? on 16:58 - Apr 21 with 367 viewsSparkfilmsTV

I was back at EYESAW Gallery in Colchester this morning for a few quick fire games of Chess....l lost to a Rumanian male and then suffered two defeats against a man from Nepal. So, after an hour or so of high tempo chess l suffered three defeats.

I made a small financial donation to the new chess club which l believe will be starting up in Priory Street in the next week or so.

EYESAW is a fab place to visit with artistic expression and mental stimulation in abundance ....quite a rarity these days in town centres that are cosmetically driven.

One of my friends is an outstanding chess player and he only makes it into the Colchester B team so l am not even sure if l will made the cut for D level chess. Either way it's great fun and there are some new kids on the block who excell in this absorbing game.
Colchester United Chess Tournament? on 18:18 - Apr 22 with 299 viewsSparkfilmsTV

After suffering three defeats yesterday l was practising online against AI programmes until 5am.

Mixed results - a few wins, and couple of draws and about five defeats. I was reeling a bit this morning on just a couple of hours sleep and was a bit punch drunk. One of the problems with online chess is that it quickly becomes additive and because of the adrenalin rush it not good preparation for sleep.

It's not online at EYESAW Gallery - the opponents are real life human beings and l have since learned that some of them practise for in excess of fifty hours a week - which is in addition to their various occupations.

At least two of the players l have come up against have represented their countries at various age levels and they will always be way ahead of anything l aspire to in much later life.
Colchester United Chess Tournament? on 21:50 - Apr 22 with 289 viewsnoah4x4

Throws down gauntletā€¦.Iā€™ll give you a game Rayā€¦

Warning, I was unbeaten in 300 + games during Covid lockdown. What else could we do night after night in a (straight male) ā€œsocial needā€ bubble of a mere two with a cooler full of wine to amuse us?

Excessive consumption of said alcoholic beverage did produce a couple of draws, and one stalemate, but my regular opponent rarely threatened my Sicilian Defence. Over time, it got ever more intense as he was determined to eventually beat me before the pandemic got me, but vaccination defeated such ambition. My best tactic was slow play and to delay the end game until he was on his second bottle. I realise that such tactics wonā€™t work with you, but I reckon I could still bore you into a resignation. Maybe we need a Chess Clock?

When I did play league Chess seriously, (40-50 years ago), my worst league defeats always came at the Worcestershire College for the Blind (now renamed for the visually impaired), then located in Powick (Worcester). The wholly unsighted guys there did everything by mere touch and memory on a tiny tactile board with unusually shaped pieces (black had a spike on top). That was arguably, the most inspiring recreational skill I have ever witnessed. But then, I was also once on the losing side whilst top scoring when playing for a Surrey representative cricket XI in a charity event versus ā€œEngland Blindā€. They made us bat first, so we didnā€™t work out that there are more effective ways of hitting a steel ball with a bell in it than with the toe of a cricket bat. Frankly, I reckon Iā€™d lose at darts too. Amazing and inspiring how some folk can overcome disabilities. Utter respect!
Colchester United Chess Tournament? on 22:06 - Apr 24 with 222 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Colchester United Chess Tournament? on 21:50 - Apr 22 by noah4x4

Throws down gauntletā€¦.Iā€™ll give you a game Rayā€¦

Warning, I was unbeaten in 300 + games during Covid lockdown. What else could we do night after night in a (straight male) ā€œsocial needā€ bubble of a mere two with a cooler full of wine to amuse us?

Excessive consumption of said alcoholic beverage did produce a couple of draws, and one stalemate, but my regular opponent rarely threatened my Sicilian Defence. Over time, it got ever more intense as he was determined to eventually beat me before the pandemic got me, but vaccination defeated such ambition. My best tactic was slow play and to delay the end game until he was on his second bottle. I realise that such tactics wonā€™t work with you, but I reckon I could still bore you into a resignation. Maybe we need a Chess Clock?

When I did play league Chess seriously, (40-50 years ago), my worst league defeats always came at the Worcestershire College for the Blind (now renamed for the visually impaired), then located in Powick (Worcester). The wholly unsighted guys there did everything by mere touch and memory on a tiny tactile board with unusually shaped pieces (black had a spike on top). That was arguably, the most inspiring recreational skill I have ever witnessed. But then, I was also once on the losing side whilst top scoring when playing for a Surrey representative cricket XI in a charity event versus ā€œEngland Blindā€. They made us bat first, so we didnā€™t work out that there are more effective ways of hitting a steel ball with a bell in it than with the toe of a cricket bat. Frankly, I reckon Iā€™d lose at darts too. Amazing and inspiring how some folk can overcome disabilities. Utter respect!

Hello Phil - is there a chess set at Castle Park? Do you have one?

Have given mine to my Grandson.
Colchester United Chess Tournament? on 22:56 - Apr 24 with 203 viewsnoah4x4

Colchester United Chess Tournament? on 22:06 - Apr 24 by SparkfilmsTV

Hello Phil - is there a chess set at Castle Park? Do you have one?

Have given mine to my Grandson.

I have a magnificent hand carved Chess set that I purchased in an artisan woodworking shop in Poland, akin to a World Championship Classic Staunton design but in quality timber (but might be stained pine). It will be a privilege to use it against such a worthy opponent as you Ray.

Do you think I should live stream said contest? How about a spectatorā€™s admission charge for charity? Might Mr Happy run a book on it? Will Jon Waldron publish a progressive match report in the Gazette. Shall we have a small wager for charity? My agent will contact you about contract terms in due courseā€¦.
Colchester United Chess Tournament? on 06:30 - Apr 25 with 175 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Colchester United Chess Tournament? on 22:56 - Apr 24 by noah4x4

I have a magnificent hand carved Chess set that I purchased in an artisan woodworking shop in Poland, akin to a World Championship Classic Staunton design but in quality timber (but might be stained pine). It will be a privilege to use it against such a worthy opponent as you Ray.

Do you think I should live stream said contest? How about a spectatorā€™s admission charge for charity? Might Mr Happy run a book on it? Will Jon Waldron publish a progressive match report in the Gazette. Shall we have a small wager for charity? My agent will contact you about contract terms in due courseā€¦.

I like the idea of a live stream šŸ˜ŠšŸ˜ŠšŸ˜ŠšŸ˜Š - very limited audience though šŸ˜ŠšŸ˜ŠšŸ˜ŠšŸ˜Š

The pavillion would be a good setting for a little tournament - l have never discussed Chess with anyone at Colchester & East Essex but it would be interesting to find out how many people on the extensive contact list play.

If there were 16 we could have a knock out competition šŸ˜³šŸ˜³

Matches might need to be curtailed to one hour and adjudicated ( as the system used at St Helena School many years ago ). Having said that, some matches would be over in just a few moves šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

The standard of play here in Colchester is formidable!

I have suffered quite a run of defeats recently and have had to seriously down grade my self assumed ability status.

My league table status would be similar to that of Colchester United over the past few years.

Always love a challenge though šŸ˜ŠšŸ˜Š

Might be worth running this idea through Tim Spelling and the guys.
Colchester United Chess Tournament? on 15:07 - Apr 25 with 154 viewsCrashBandicoot

We need some players that are as skilled at football as the late great Bobby Fischer was at Chess.

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Login to get fewer ads

Colchester United Chess Tournament? on 21:13 - Apr 26 with 110 viewsSparkfilmsTV

I played against a former county player today and managed to put him under a bit of pressure - the match was really close but l just lost out. It probably ranks as my best ever performance as this individual was in the top 100 in the UK in the last five years or so.

The lesson l am learning is to play ultra defensively - and early castleing is a must!

Over on The Tigers thread we appear to have some new visitors and the transcripts from recorded interviews seem to be of interest.

Some of those interviews have appeared in print.

I have one with an individual who was convicted of a gruesome murder in the nineties that has never been released. I met him during a prison visit in 2011 and he gave me the most extraordinary account of his actions.

I have played Chess with prisoners with mixed results.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024