Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly 23:13 - Aug 30 with 1917 viewsdurham_exile

If a week is a long time in politics it’s an eternity in football. Last Saturday we dominated the game against Harrogate only to lose 1-0 to a sucker punch after a mix up at the back.

On Wednesday night we should have drawn the game and taken our illustrious opponents the Bees to a penalty shoot-out. Two actions determined the result. First the referee failed to award a free kick in the box and Lewis-Potter scored the simplest goal he will ever score. Now you could argue that it wasn’t a foul and that Colchester should have played to the whistle.

Then after a brilliant run from Egbo he was fouled in the box and the reliable Payne chose that moment to take the worst penalty he will ever attempt to convert. Those who decided no foul had been committed would probably say that the referee evened things up for his error in the first half. So instead of a draw and a penalty shootout we lost another game 1-0.

This Saturday DC takes his charges to the Wham Stadium to do battle against Accrington Stanley. Last season someone called Taylor scored a magnificent solo goal after we had been battered for most of the game but the home team couldn’t convert their many chances.

Will our new Taylor perhaps get some minutes and score tomorrow. I am beginning to think that he is no longer a Colchester player and his transfer was all a figment of our imagination. We were told a calf injury had kept him out and when DC was interviewed this week about the game and possible deadline day transfers the silence concerning Taylor was deafening.

When or if he does get some minutes I would imagine he will be covered in cotton wool and will only be allowed the statutory amount of minutes that Macca Bonne was allowed (8).

The Monserrat striker is a player who has years of experience, if fit let us long suffering supporters see him at the Wham Stadium tomorrow if only for a little while.

DC has a decision to make about his team. I am unsure as to whether he has decided on either three or four at the back and then whether we play four or five across the midfield and then either two or three up front.

Let us look at the options.

Goalkeeper is easy, Macey but then what about a three or four ahead of him.
Donnelly almost caught Brentford cold on Wednesday with his delicious long throws. They should have led to at least one goal with a header from Ihionvien (his last action in a U’s shirt unfortunately) and a close range shot from Hopper.

Do Hunt and Iandolo play as conventional full backs or wing backs. Then we have Donnelly, Flanagan, Goodliffe, Kells and Egbo with either three or four of them employed as either a three or a flat back four.

Midfield – Payne, Read, Woodyard and Bishop (we have debated the problem with accommodation all four in the same team). Wingers are either Edwards, Anderson or Gordon.

Then strikers Hopper, Tovide and Taylor (the scarlet pimpernel).

So, who will DC start at the Wham stadium:

I think either 4,1,3,2
Macey
Hunt Goodliffe Flanagan Iandolo
Read
Payne Bishop Woodyard
Tovide Hopper
Subs: Smith, Anderson Edwards Gordon Egbo Terry Kells

OR
Macey
Goodliffe Flanagan Donnelly
Anderson Payne Bishop Woodyard Edwards
Tovide Hopper
Subs: Smith, Hunt Iandolo Gordon Egbo Read Kells

OR
Macey
Goodliffe Flanagan Donnelly
Payne Read Bishop Woodyard
Anderson Tovide Edwards
Subs: Smith, Hunt, Iandolo, Gordon, Egbo, Terry, Hopper

However, I think DC will line up as follows:

Macey

Egbo Goodliffe Flanagan Donnelly Iandolo

Payne Bishop Woodyard

Hopper Tovide

Subs:
Smith Anderson Edwards Gordon Hunt Read Kells

Sadly, it seems that Milton Oni (MOTM) is injured and of course we don’t know about Lyle Taylor.

I hope that this makes DC’s selection problem understandable. DC is possibly still unsure about his best XI.

Stop Press: Bradley Ihionvien has departed for Peterborough. He could have done so much better. They are a poor option for him.

Meanwhile Jamie McDonnell (Midfield) has joined from Nottingham Forest on loan.

Bradleys departure makes the signing of another striker mission critical.

Weather tomorrow at Accrington 19 degrees Celsius and sunny.

Scoreline 2-0 to the Super U’s

Safe journey to the travelling faithful.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 21:54 - Aug 31 with 315 viewsmfb_cufc

Danny - We didn't play well, and we'll learn from it.

And the extended highlights

[Post edited 1 Sep 13:17]

mfb

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024