Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
South Scottish Muppets! 10:36 - Sep 1 with 909 viewsTheOldOakTree

Carlisle have sacked Paul Simpson (and his entire backroom team) the day after the transfer window closes and after only four games, because they've only got 3 points, despite two games being away to Gillingham and MK Dongs. They were unlucky against the Trannies after dominating possession!

If you’re going to be that demanding, why not sack him at the end of last season? A new manager has got to wait until January to change things! Bunch of idiots.
[Post edited 1 Sep 11:02]
South Scottish Muppets! on 10:59 - Sep 1 with 872 viewsTheOldOakTree

I see the club was bought 10 months ago by a family from Florida, which might explain why they haven’t quite got the hang of how soccerball works.

Perhaps if Simpson had called Time Out during their second quarter against the Wirralbay Trannies then he would still have a job.

Cowling might be making a hash of things, but at least he’s got a rough idea of how to go about the job.
[Post edited 1 Sep 11:00]
South Scottish Muppets! on 12:25 - Sep 1 with 787 viewswessex_exile

That is bonkers! Makes no sense at all - Muppets indeed.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

South Scottish Muppets! on 13:06 - Sep 1 with 770 viewsBLACKCAT

It is only the timing that deserves criticism. As you write the day after the window closes is very poor. In truth Simpson should have gone at the end of last season.

Reading their message-board the supporters are saddened that it's ended like this for a man they have affection and respect for; but also all seem agreed he had to go.

There are some interesting suggestions and some highly improbable names are being mentioned. I'd have thought Pete Wild would be a good appointment but he doesn't seem popular, possibly because of his Barrow connection. Rob Elliot, who is doing a fine job with The 'Heed, has been mooted.

I can remember their season in the top-flight and with the recent investment they're aiming for The Championship within five years. Carlisle has a large catchment area but not a lot of people living there.
South Scottish Muppets! on 13:14 - Sep 1 with 763 viewsTheOldOakTree

South Scottish Muppets! on 13:06 - Sep 1 by BLACKCAT

It is only the timing that deserves criticism. As you write the day after the window closes is very poor. In truth Simpson should have gone at the end of last season.

Reading their message-board the supporters are saddened that it's ended like this for a man they have affection and respect for; but also all seem agreed he had to go.

There are some interesting suggestions and some highly improbable names are being mentioned. I'd have thought Pete Wild would be a good appointment but he doesn't seem popular, possibly because of his Barrow connection. Rob Elliot, who is doing a fine job with The 'Heed, has been mooted.

I can remember their season in the top-flight and with the recent investment they're aiming for The Championship within five years. Carlisle has a large catchment area but not a lot of people living there.

Why did he have to go? Was it because his win ratio during this stint at Carlisle was only 0.31? Unlike say, DC's who's is 0.20

The bloke achieved three promotions with Carlisle.

So if managers who've achieve promotions in the past, but now have a less than perfect win ratio have to go, who's next?

I'm guessing there's a different set of rules for your favorites?
South Scottish Muppets! on 13:45 - Sep 1 with 745 viewsBLACKCAT

South Scottish Muppets! on 13:14 - Sep 1 by TheOldOakTree

Why did he have to go? Was it because his win ratio during this stint at Carlisle was only 0.31? Unlike say, DC's who's is 0.20

The bloke achieved three promotions with Carlisle.

So if managers who've achieve promotions in the past, but now have a less than perfect win ratio have to go, who's next?

I'm guessing there's a different set of rules for your favorites?

Simpson managed 126 matches in his second spell as Carlisle United Manager. If Danny Cowley has a win rate of 20% at Colchester United after half as many I'll find it impossible to defend him.

I was surprised Simpson led Carlisle to promotion in 2023 but last season was abysmal. He did a superb job with his home town club when he first managed them but that's nearly twenty years ago. Every job since until his first eighteen months back at Carlisle has ended in failure.

I cannot deny that I have managers/coaches that I favour and those I don't rate highly. I would give the Cowley brothers a much longer time than a Paul Simpson. But all managers, excepting Sir Alex Ferguson, have a shelf life. I hope Danny and Nicky are nowhere near the end of theirs. They must deliver this season though; a top-half finish is the minimum and I expected a play-off place. They failed to achieve their remit at Pompey and if the same happens in Essex I might have to accept that certain something has left them.

I don't think so though and I'll be disappointed if they aren't able to have a Colchester United team winning more than they lose very soon.
South Scottish Muppets! on 08:53 - Sep 2 with 576 viewsburnsieespana

South Scottish Muppets! on 13:45 - Sep 1 by BLACKCAT

Simpson managed 126 matches in his second spell as Carlisle United Manager. If Danny Cowley has a win rate of 20% at Colchester United after half as many I'll find it impossible to defend him.

I was surprised Simpson led Carlisle to promotion in 2023 but last season was abysmal. He did a superb job with his home town club when he first managed them but that's nearly twenty years ago. Every job since until his first eighteen months back at Carlisle has ended in failure.

I cannot deny that I have managers/coaches that I favour and those I don't rate highly. I would give the Cowley brothers a much longer time than a Paul Simpson. But all managers, excepting Sir Alex Ferguson, have a shelf life. I hope Danny and Nicky are nowhere near the end of theirs. They must deliver this season though; a top-half finish is the minimum and I expected a play-off place. They failed to achieve their remit at Pompey and if the same happens in Essex I might have to accept that certain something has left them.

I don't think so though and I'll be disappointed if they aren't able to have a Colchester United team winning more than they lose very soon.

Even Sir Alex had a shelf life as he left David M a dreadful squad.
Inevitable we all have favourites as Managers because that is the reason we love the game.
Everyone of us have different views on players, Managers and Chairman.I
South Scottish Muppets! on 17:15 - Sep 17 with 204 viewsBLACKCAT

The strong rumour today is that Carlisle want Mike Williamson the MK Dons head coach. It's a little surprising as he's apparently very close to the sack at MK; or at least would be if most of their supporters had their way.
South Scottish Muppets! on 17:47 - Sep 17 with 191 viewswessex_exile

South Scottish Muppets! on 17:15 - Sep 17 by BLACKCAT

The strong rumour today is that Carlisle want Mike Williamson the MK Dons head coach. It's a little surprising as he's apparently very close to the sack at MK; or at least would be if most of their supporters had their way.

...and who knows after tonight. Maybe another on the "Lost to Col U, sacked in the morning" list?

Up the U's

Login to get fewer ads

South Scottish Muppets! on 19:00 - Sep 17 with 151 viewsWitham

Now that's a good quiz series
South Scottish Muppets! on 19:39 - Sep 17 with 136 viewsTheOldOakTree

South Scottish Muppets! on 17:15 - Sep 17 by BLACKCAT

Six points from six games he's certainly on dodgy ground.
[Post edited 17 Sep 19:39]
South Scottish Muppets! on 06:47 - Sep 18 with 55 viewswessex_exile

South Scottish Muppets! on 19:39 - Sep 17 by TheOldOakTree

Six points from six games he's certainly on dodgy ground.
[Post edited 17 Sep 19:39]

Haha - fishing emoji noted. I guess it’s all about expectation - finished 4th last season but failed spectacularly in the play-offs. This season, nine games in all competitions and they’ve lost seven. I doubt last night will be the final nail in his coffin, but their next defeat probably will be - if he hasn’t jumped by then.

Up the U's

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024