Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium 15:48 - Sep 13 with 4382 viewsdurham_exile

This weekend sees DC’s charges head north west to the Mazuma Stadium Morecambe. The 284-mile journey, one of the longest for the U’s this season. By contrast it is only 62 miles for me and one of my shorter trips.

Frankly this is a game that we should be capable of winning and I am predicting a 2-0 success for the super U’s.

5 points after 5 games suggests another season of struggle, but I am confident that our players will begin to gel in DC’s new squad as he determines his best XI to start and strongest bench of substitutes.

However, what is his best XI?

My view is that we should be starting in Lancashire as follows 3,4,3:

Macey

Flanagan Goodliffe Iandolo

Egbo Payne Read Woodyard

Edwards Tovide Taylor

Subs:
Smith Scully Anderson Bishop Donnelly Hopper Gordon

Once again the subs should be used to maximum impact but DC needs a settled starting XI.

Weather in Morecambe will be sunny, 17 degrees Celsius, dry but breezy.

Derek Adams side will be eager to get off to a good start after disappointing results albeit all league games have resulted in 1-0 defeats. One thing is certain we do not need another Away performance like that experienced at FGR last season.

I want to see Tovide and Taylor on the scoresheet tomorrow.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 17:04 - Sep 14 with 863 viewsMarkyMark47

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 17:01 - Sep 14 by 442

Too many changes too early. Destroyed the flow of play. Should have left the players on for longer. No need to have changed things. Someone needs to tell the Cowley’s you don’t have to use your subs.
[Post edited 14 Sep 17:02]

Agree. None of the changes worked and Anderson looked useless, as he did last week (and Taylor despite his goal). I'm beginning to doubt the Cowley "project".
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 17:05 - Sep 14 with 851 viewsburnsieespana

Why oh why do players like Kells and Read not start.
Matt Jay would have had a field day today but no, Cowley has 9bviously fallen out with him so won't countenplaying him.
A lot of the players he signed came on reputation when younger but now they are passed their best.
I am seriously worried about the season when conditions get bad and we have to play the better sides.
[Post edited 14 Sep 17:27]
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 17:07 - Sep 14 with 826 viewswessex_exile

Unbelievable! We should have won that one by four or five goals, but another incredibly soft penalty and an outrageous deflection from a shot going well wide, and we drop two points. As for Harry missing an open goal - says it all really!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 17:09 - Sep 14 with 811 viewsfranksic1988

The writing was on the wall they had half a season last season and did nothing… forget the smoke blown up them because of the Lincoln run. Look at what happening with your eyes…. We are getting no better. We do not even know what our best 11 is. We never start the same team 2 weeks in a row. We do not even have a style or system of play good or bad….

I’m shocked it’s taken so many people so long to wake up and open their eyes.
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 17:09 - Sep 14 with 808 viewsMarkyMark47

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 17:04 - Sep 14 by MarkyMark47

Agree. None of the changes worked and Anderson looked useless, as he did last week (and Taylor despite his goal). I'm beginning to doubt the Cowley "project".

4 changes in 8 minutes. Amateurish..
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 17:12 - Sep 14 with 792 viewsBLACKCAT

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 20:14 - Sep 13 by durham_exile

TS
The reason I reckon Scully will be on the bench tomorrow is because Tovide and Taylor will start for DC.

Scully will definitely get some minutes though.
Up the U's

Your wish came partly true; Taylor and Tovide both scored. But what a disappointing result. I feared Morecambe would break their duck but to score three and two of them with ten men was a shocker.
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 17:12 - Sep 14 with 790 viewsfranksic1988

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 17:09 - Sep 14 by MarkyMark47

4 changes in 8 minutes. Amateurish..

I sit next to them week in week out they’re like the chuckle brothers. Honestly they don’t really watch what’s going on in the game…. They’re one of the worst we have had down there and had the most backing off the board…
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 17:30 - Sep 14 with 738 viewsburnsieespana

Only co solution Morecambe had only conceded one goal a game until today!
Login to get fewer ads

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 17:33 - Sep 14 with 729 viewsMarkyMark47

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 17:12 - Sep 14 by franksic1988

I sit next to them week in week out they’re like the chuckle brothers. Honestly they don’t really watch what’s going on in the game…. They’re one of the worst we have had down there and had the most backing off the board…

I've watched all DC"'s post match interviews, and as far as I can remember there has not been a single occasion where he has taken any personal responsibility for the failings (many) of the team.
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 17:52 - Sep 14 with 708 viewsfranksic1988

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 17:33 - Sep 14 by MarkyMark47

I've watched all DC"'s post match interviews, and as far as I can remember there has not been a single occasion where he has taken any personal responsibility for the failings (many) of the team.

He doesn’t ever admit we make the same mistakes week in week out. Month in month out…. As head coach isn’t that a reflection on him. You keep taking your car to the mechanics and everytime you leave within a week it broke down again… you would come to the conclusion your mechanic was rubbish and find another one.

Reverting back to buying old players that once played good for you is to mask his lack of knowledge. It’s safe to surround yourself with people you know. They need you as much as you need them.

He had long enough last season, to make an impact…. What do we do wait 5 years until he stumbles upon and system and decent players…
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 17:59 - Sep 14 with 689 viewsMarkyMark47

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 17:07 - Sep 14 by wessex_exile

Unbelievable! We should have won that one by four or five goals, but another incredibly soft penalty and an outrageous deflection from a shot going well wide, and we drop two points. As for Harry missing an open goal - says it all really!

I hear what you're saying and I'm hoping that Cowley doesn't put those things forward as an excuse. A few weeks ago after another failure he spoke about the "football gods" not being on our side. It bothered me then and will bother me even more if he trots out a litany of excuses again.
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 18:42 - Sep 14 with 629 viewsmfb_cufc

Highlights

mfb

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 19:19 - Sep 14 with 557 viewsdurham_exile

We were coasting at 3-1
DC didn't need to take Tovide and Taylor off.

Suddenly the balance of the team was all wrong

Morecambe couldn't handle Tovide and Taylor.

Anderson missed an absolute sitter after Scully hit the underside of the bar

Two points thrown away unfortunately.

DC does not need to make 5 subs when we are in total control of the game

My only gripe today was that he should have started with Read instead of Bishop.

Payne was outstanding again, but Read is the better free kick taker.

Taylor was excellent and Tovide was tireless.

DC must learn to keep the best XI on the pitch

I am still seething.

Adams gesture to the U's fans was also unnecessary but I can understand his emotions.

The linesman was influenced by the U's faithful over illegal throw ins and started to penalise the offender but he missed the offside for their first goal which was far worse.

Morecambe are awful.

Back to the drawing board next week

More thoughts tomorrow when I have calmed down.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 19:33 - Sep 14 with 543 viewsburnsieespana

To rub salt into the wounds I see Wilkinson now scored 3 in his last two games and Chilvers provided a 6th minute assist for Ross County!
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 19:56 - Sep 14 with 522 viewsfranksic1988

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 19:33 - Sep 14 by burnsieespana

To rub salt into the wounds I see Wilkinson now scored 3 in his last two games and Chilvers provided a 6th minute assist for Ross County!

He never had any intention of playing Wilkinson. We had hopper and big John upfront… at some point you would changed that up.

Most prob fell out with him.

Seems like Arthur could be on the cold shoulder path.
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 20:59 - Sep 14 with 459 viewsMarkyMark47

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 19:19 - Sep 14 by durham_exile

We were coasting at 3-1
DC didn't need to take Tovide and Taylor off.

Suddenly the balance of the team was all wrong

Morecambe couldn't handle Tovide and Taylor.

Anderson missed an absolute sitter after Scully hit the underside of the bar

Two points thrown away unfortunately.

DC does not need to make 5 subs when we are in total control of the game

My only gripe today was that he should have started with Read instead of Bishop.

Payne was outstanding again, but Read is the better free kick taker.

Taylor was excellent and Tovide was tireless.

DC must learn to keep the best XI on the pitch

I am still seething.

Adams gesture to the U's fans was also unnecessary but I can understand his emotions.

The linesman was influenced by the U's faithful over illegal throw ins and started to penalise the offender but he missed the offside for their first goal which was far worse.

Morecambe are awful.

Back to the drawing board next week

More thoughts tomorrow when I have calmed down.

Up the U's

I'm trying to understand in what way Taylor was excellent?
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 21:06 - Sep 14 with 447 viewsMarkyMark47

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 20:59 - Sep 14 by MarkyMark47

Just watched DC's post match interview, which confirmed my worst fears - he used the collective term "we" throughout. No acceptance of any personal responsibility as the leader of "the group". Very worrying indeed.
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 21:12 - Sep 14 with 431 viewsfranksic1988

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 21:06 - Sep 14 by MarkyMark47

Just watched DC's post match interview, which confirmed my worst fears - he used the collective term "we" throughout. No acceptance of any personal responsibility as the leader of "the group". Very worrying indeed.

His ideal job would be football pundit… the guys breakdown of what happened and what went wrong is 1st class. Don’t get me wrong if you want a summary of the game listen to him. If you want to know how to put it rite then don’t even bother. May as well listen to the wife.
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 21:20 - Sep 14 with 422 viewsMarkyMark47

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 21:12 - Sep 14 by franksic1988

His ideal job would be football pundit… the guys breakdown of what happened and what went wrong is 1st class. Don’t get me wrong if you want a summary of the game listen to him. If you want to know how to put it rite then don’t even bother. May as well listen to the wife.

There are a lot of very good female managers/coaches/commentators in the game now. Maybe DC should ask them for advice.
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 21:36 - Sep 14 with 406 viewsMarkyMark47

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 20:59 - Sep 14 by MarkyMark47

According to his Wikipedia page, he's an ex-model. He has some sort of TV deal with Sky. This is a guy with an exit strategy. Another post referred to him as having the agility of a cart horse. I agree!
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 22:14 - Sep 14 with 370 viewsfranksic1988

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 21:36 - Sep 14 by MarkyMark47

According to his Wikipedia page, he's an ex-model. He has some sort of TV deal with Sky. This is a guy with an exit strategy. Another post referred to him as having the agility of a cart horse. I agree!

He was on the last league 2 game on sky tv. Salford I think it was.

We seemed to of signed a lot of end of life players that played well for DC maybe a decade ago. I’d say these were what I’d call comfort blanket signings. When you run out of ideas you revert to type and what you know best.
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 22:31 - Sep 14 with 362 viewsMarkyMark47

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 22:14 - Sep 14 by franksic1988

He was on the last league 2 game on sky tv. Salford I think it was.

We seemed to of signed a lot of end of life players that played well for DC maybe a decade ago. I’d say these were what I’d call comfort blanket signings. When you run out of ideas you revert to type and what you know best.

I've been reading "How to Win the Premier League" by a guy who was a data analyst for Liverpool. He mentions that many coaches are biased toward signing players they've worked with in the past, rather than relying on information about their more recent stats.
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 23:13 - Sep 14 with 341 viewsfranksic1988

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 22:31 - Sep 14 by MarkyMark47

I've been reading "How to Win the Premier League" by a guy who was a data analyst for Liverpool. He mentions that many coaches are biased toward signing players they've worked with in the past, rather than relying on information about their more recent stats.

That would make sense it’s human nature if maybe you took guys from 1 or 2 years ago. They’re just taking guys from 7/8 years ago. Most of the stats also are on a downward trend. Nothing wrong with a few familiar faces that can help the team along the way with learning your system. I’m not against that. But just re fitting the whole squad with older guys that are clearly coming to the end, I don’t think shows progression or an upward curve the club should want to be on. Football is like life certain people gel with others… but these guys he has signed so far don’t seem to be dragging the others along infact the opposite the others seem to be dragging them down.
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 23:32 - Sep 14 with 319 viewsmfb_cufc

Danny - We were unprofessional

mfb

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 00:01 - Sep 15 with 315 viewsdurham_exile

You ask about Taylor.

First he belies his age. He is certainly fit enough to play 90 minutes.

He has a good understanding with Tovide and is always looking to get onto crosses from the outstanding Payne.

His hold up play is very good and he is prepared to track back and equally to pick up the ball from deep and run with it or lay off a pass to a colleague.

His heading ability is very good and his awareness in the box is both sharp and insightful.

I have been impressed by his attitude and his willingness to work hard during the game.

I am critical of DC for bringing both he and Samson Tovide off when he did.

Morecambe didn't know how to combat them and we would certainly have scored more goals had they remained on the field.

Taylor is already a firm favourite with the faithful and at the end of the game Taylor came back onto the pitch to salute the fans and to very much show he is a team player.

Both he and Tovide deserved their goals today and for the first time in several seasons we have a partnership worth pursuing up front.

DC has learned a hard lesson today

By all means use the subs but not when we are well on top and in total control.

Substitutions were made today at the wrong time and wrested the momentum away from Colchester.

I hope you can understand not only the contribution made by Taylor to the team but also his ability to score and contribute to goals.

Perhaps if you view some extended highlights You will be able to understand just what a contribution Lyle Taylor made to the team.

Up the U's
[Post edited 15 Sep 0:04]

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024