Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
man of the match at charlton 12:55 - Feb 22 with 4632 viewsRAFCRuss

who would you choose after the great performance last night? i personally would of chosen amankwaah or kurucz
man of the match at charlton on 16:45 - Feb 22 with 3665 viewsDale_Iain

I wouldn't say Kurucz. He made one class save and took a lot of crosses, but their goal was his fault. Poor positioning of both himself and the wall made it so, so easy to score. We all said before the free kick was taken that their player was going to put it where he did, the gap was so big I could have put the ball in there. I don't want to be too harsh because apart from that he played well, but it was so frustrating, just after we'd taken the lead.

I'd agree with Amankwaah, with mentions for Jones and BBM too.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
man of the match at charlton on 17:26 - Feb 22 with 3583 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Nicky Adams

man of the match at charlton on 17:37 - Feb 22 with 3558 viewsSuddenLad

man of the match at charlton on 16:45 - Feb 22 by Dale_Iain

I wouldn't say Kurucz. He made one class save and took a lot of crosses, but their goal was his fault. Poor positioning of both himself and the wall made it so, so easy to score. We all said before the free kick was taken that their player was going to put it where he did, the gap was so big I could have put the ball in there. I don't want to be too harsh because apart from that he played well, but it was so frustrating, just after we'd taken the lead.

That's a bit harsh Iain.

The kick was so expertly placed that most keepers would have struggled to get a hand to it, let alone beat it away or save it. I don't for a minute think he could have done much about it. It certainly wasn't his 'fault'

Anyway, if we hadn't conceded a free-kick, we would probably be discussing a victory.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

man of the match at charlton on 18:15 - Feb 22 with 3517 viewsDale_Iain

man of the match at charlton on 17:37 - Feb 22 by SuddenLad

That's a bit harsh Iain.

The kick was so expertly placed that most keepers would have struggled to get a hand to it, let alone beat it away or save it. I don't for a minute think he could have done much about it. It certainly wasn't his 'fault'

Anyway, if we hadn't conceded a free-kick, we would probably be discussing a victory.

Yeah, you're right that most keepers would have struggled to get it, if you presume that most keepers would have put the wall in the same place and stood in the same starting spot as Kurucz did. He shouldn't have had to travel such a distance to get it though. It wasn't even that expertly placed, it wasn't in the top corner, it was just placed in the left hand side of the goal, which was all to had to be to give Kurucz no chance. The gap was so massive that before the kick was taken me and a few others all pointed it out. We all said (paraphrasing) "Look at the size of that gap, he's got half of the goal to aim for, this is going to go in". If we can see it why can't a professional keeper? I don't want to be harsh because other than that he was excellent, but that goal was so easily avoidable.
man of the match at charlton on 18:28 - Feb 22 with 3486 viewsSuddenLad

man of the match at charlton on 18:15 - Feb 22 by Dale_Iain

Yeah, you're right that most keepers would have struggled to get it, if you presume that most keepers would have put the wall in the same place and stood in the same starting spot as Kurucz did. He shouldn't have had to travel such a distance to get it though. It wasn't even that expertly placed, it wasn't in the top corner, it was just placed in the left hand side of the goal, which was all to had to be to give Kurucz no chance. The gap was so massive that before the kick was taken me and a few others all pointed it out. We all said (paraphrasing) "Look at the size of that gap, he's got half of the goal to aim for, this is going to go in". If we can see it why can't a professional keeper? I don't want to be harsh because other than that he was excellent, but that goal was so easily avoidable.

If we hadn't needlessly conceded the free-kick, there wouldn't have been a save to make.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

man of the match at charlton on 18:42 - Feb 22 with 3475 viewsrich_dale

JK or Jonah for me
man of the match at charlton on 09:32 - Feb 23 with 3259 viewsNorthernSou1

man of the match at charlton on 17:26 - Feb 22 by Albert_Whitehurst

Nicky Adams

Spot on pal. Adams ran himself in to the ground!

MOTM for me
man of the match at charlton on 12:55 - Feb 23 with 3120 viewsdingdangblue

man of the match at charlton on 16:45 - Feb 22 by Dale_Iain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17132371#asset

Im sorry but I really cant see a problem with the wall? The ball goes up and over it so it was positioned correctly. I was expecting the ball to go past the side of the wall the way you had described it. It was a great free kick - Im just miffed we've got no one in our team who can do it! To blame the keeper is clutching at very big straws. And I had a pound on Adams 1-0 at 170/1 - so Ive got reason to be upset with the keeper if it had been his fault.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Login to get fewer ads

man of the match at charlton on 13:00 - Feb 23 with 3127 viewsColDale

man of the match at charlton on 12:55 - Feb 23 by dingdangblue

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17132371#asset

Im sorry but I really cant see a problem with the wall? The ball goes up and over it so it was positioned correctly. I was expecting the ball to go past the side of the wall the way you had described it. It was a great free kick - Im just miffed we've got no one in our team who can do it! To blame the keeper is clutching at very big straws. And I had a pound on Adams 1-0 at 170/1 - so Ive got reason to be upset with the keeper if it had been his fault.

I think the angle where the away fans were played a part in the criticism. It's not as clear on the replays, but from a position directly behind the free kick, the gap left to the left hand side as we looked at it seemed to be inviting a shot. I was stood next to DaleIain on the night, and we both remarked at how big that gap looked before the free kick was taken. 10 seconds later, it was in the back of the net.

I don't think its criticism for criticism's sake. I like the keeper, despite not knowing how to pronounces his name, and I'd be delighted if we could make his move to Spotland a permanent one.
man of the match at charlton on 13:03 - Feb 23 with 3109 viewsdingdangblue

man of the match at charlton on 13:00 - Feb 23 by ColDale

I think the angle where the away fans were played a part in the criticism. It's not as clear on the replays, but from a position directly behind the free kick, the gap left to the left hand side as we looked at it seemed to be inviting a shot. I was stood next to DaleIain on the night, and we both remarked at how big that gap looked before the free kick was taken. 10 seconds later, it was in the back of the net.

I don't think its criticism for criticism's sake. I like the keeper, despite not knowing how to pronounces his name, and I'd be delighted if we could make his move to Spotland a permanent one.

Yes - but a few extra men to the left of the wall wouldve made what difference? the ball still goes up and over? It was a great free kick.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

man of the match at charlton on 13:23 - Feb 23 with 3088 viewsolympicdale

man of the match at charlton on 13:00 - Feb 23 by ColDale

That save from kermogant (sp) was brilliant, and the double save in the end, great reactions and quick thinking, hope we can keep this lad he looks a real good prospect.

Life is a game of fate.

man of the match at charlton on 13:27 - Feb 23 with 3082 viewsSaxonDale

man of the match at charlton on 13:03 - Feb 23 by dingdangblue

Yes - but a few extra men to the left of the wall wouldve made what difference? the ball still goes up and over? It was a great free kick.

Regardless of whether the freekick would've gone in if the wall had been positioned properly the objective of the wall is to make it as hard as possible for the freekick taker to score. Although Charlton's freekick may well have been unstoppable, there'll be many other times when teams capitalise on this if Kurucz doesn't learn from his mistake.
man of the match at charlton on 13:44 - Feb 23 with 3069 viewsColDale

man of the match at charlton on 13:03 - Feb 23 by dingdangblue

I'm not suggesting we need extra men in the wall. But if he didn't feel confident enough to protect that side of the goal, then we should have had someone else on the line.
man of the match at charlton on 13:45 - Feb 23 with 3053 viewsdingdangblue

man of the match at charlton on 13:27 - Feb 23 by SaxonDale

Regardless of whether the freekick would've gone in if the wall had been positioned properly the objective of the wall is to make it as hard as possible for the freekick taker to score. Although Charlton's freekick may well have been unstoppable, there'll be many other times when teams capitalise on this if Kurucz doesn't learn from his mistake.

What mistake?

man of the match at charlton on 14:13 - Feb 23 with 3027 viewsSaxonDale

man of the match at charlton on 13:45 - Feb 23 by dingdangblue

What mistake?

Not organising the wall properly.
man of the match at charlton on 14:56 - Feb 23 with 3004 viewsdingdangblue

man of the match at charlton on 14:13 - Feb 23 by SaxonDale

Not organising the wall properly.

The idea of the wall is to guard one side of the goal - and the keeper looks after the other side. Im sorry but if the kicker gets it up and over the wall and the opposite side of the keeper, with a fair bit of pace, and on target then that is great skill - not keeper fault. Rickie Lamberts free kick goals for dale mustve all been the wall/keeper faults then.

man of the match at charlton on 15:57 - Feb 23 with 2955 viewsTomRAFC

the highlights show kurucz makingsome stunning saves and he has also kept a couple of clean sheets since he's been here

seems well out of favour at west ham especially with them looking like a return to the top flight. if he's impressed JC we may able to snap him up in the summer.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

man of the match at charlton on 16:05 - Feb 23 with 2958 viewslove_the_dale

The lads who were at the match saw a gap at the side of the wall. So apparently a mistake was made - e.g. by the keeper or by the wall moving from where he positioned it. Either way, anything that happened subsequently - for example, the fact that the kick went over the wall - cannot change this.

man of the match at charlton on 17:24 - Feb 23 with 2917 viewsDale_Iain

I can understand why it's hard to accept what me and Col are saying if you weren't there to see it, but trust me, the way the wall and the keeper were positioned made it far too easy to score. Other than that, Kurucz was fantastic.
man of the match at charlton on 17:55 - Feb 23 with 2883 viewslove_the_dale

man of the match at charlton on 17:24 - Feb 23 by Dale_Iain

I can understand why it's hard to accept what me and Col are saying if you weren't there to see it, but trust me, the way the wall and the keeper were positioned made it far too easy to score. Other than that, Kurucz was fantastic.

Please don't think I am saying that what you have written is not what happened. I also agree with the fact that a mistake was made. Quote - "The lads who were at the match saw a gap at the side of the wall. So apparently a mistake was made - e.g. by the keeper or by the wall moving from where he positioned it." I absolutely accept that.

Other people are saying the pictures show the kick went over the wall and not round it through the gap. I also agree with this. What I disagree with is the statement that, therefore, there was no mistake made in the positioning of the wall. The mistake was made BEFORE the kick had been taken. It could not be unmade by subsequent events, i.e. a superb kick going over the wall and into the net.

Sorry, I am not very good at putting my thoughts into words.
man of the match at charlton on 18:17 - Feb 23 with 2861 viewsDySporting

looking at the highlights the ball goes over the wall definitely.
man of the match at charlton on 19:01 - Feb 23 with 2821 viewspedrodale

So the wall was in the right place!
man of the match at charlton on 22:37 - Feb 23 with 2759 viewsdingdangblue

man of the match at charlton on 17:24 - Feb 23 by Dale_Iain

To me, the 1st man in the wall should be just beyond inline with the post, the 2nd man should be inline with the post, then the next 2 or 3 cover the side the keepers not guarding. If you saw a fault in kurucz starting position then thats not shown on the highlights. All I see is a bloody great free kick.

man of the match at charlton on 00:06 - Feb 24 with 2739 viewswmgunit

man of the match at charlton on 22:37 - Feb 23 by dingdangblue

To me, the 1st man in the wall should be just beyond inline with the post, the 2nd man should be inline with the post, then the next 2 or 3 cover the side the keepers not guarding. If you saw a fault in kurucz starting position then thats not shown on the highlights. All I see is a bloody great free kick.

To add to the debate. I was at the game and sat in the Charlton end (Went with a Charlton supporter and flipped a coin as to which end we'd sit in). This meant I was right behind the goal where the freekick went in at, not the other side of the ground where the Dale fans sat.

At the time I didn't see a gap in the wall, thought Kurucz's positioning was poor and that the freekick was hardly in the top corner. Watching the highlights I still don't see a gap in the wall, but now think its tough to criticise Kurucz. Was a pretty unstoppable strike.

Kurucz Man of the Match for me.
man of the match at charlton on 00:36 - Feb 24 with 2716 viewslove_the_dale

man of the match at charlton on 19:01 - Feb 23 by pedrodale

So the wall was in the right place!

NOT if there was a gap in the wall. The fact that the kick went over the wall is irrelevant to the discussion, as I tried to point out previously.

We have a later opinion from wngunit, who says there was NO gap. If this is the case, then there was no mistake anyway, just a fantastic effort from the keeper, to add to his other heroics.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024