Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. 16:38 - Nov 13 with 6415 viewsNOTRAC

There is a massive bias by the Welsh F A towards matches taking place at the Cardiff City stadium rather than at the Liberty.In the World Cup qualifiers four out of the five home games were played at Cardiff and only the game against Croatia was played at Swansea.
It could be argued that the reason for this is the fact that Cardiff has the greater capacity, but only once (Scotland 23429) was the attendance above the capacity of tHe Liberty.
Indeed the crowd at the Croatia game (12534) was higher than the crowd at Cardiff to see Macedonia(11257) and Serbia (10923).
Indeed only 6323 turned up at Cardiff to see Australia in a friendly international in August 2011 .
Once again Cardiff has been chosen for the friendly against Finland and to boost sales we are being told that children go in for a pound.
The Liberty has not been chosen for one big name International, friendly or otherwise since it was built.
This bias towards Cardiff will probably mean that the Liberty won,t even have a decent qualifying game even after the ground capacity has been increased.
I personally find the idea of going to the Cardiff City Stadium to watch Wales play ,a turnoff, and I am sure I am not the only one.
If Swansea is not going to be chosen on a fair basis in the future, I would prefer to see the games return to the Millenium Stadium.

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 21:25 - Nov 15 with 1275 viewsChris_Lee

Simply the majority following of Wales are Cardiff and Wrexham fans, the same fixture would attract a bigger crowd in Cardiff than Swansea. helped by the fact Wrexham Fans can get to Cardiff easier and more likely to spend the night then.
Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 21:35 - Nov 15 with 1260 viewsDr_Winston

Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 20:37 - Nov 15 by ScoobyDoo

Yeah almost as embarrassing as when opposing teams have to get the Sat Navs out to find your place?

That explains why your lot ended up in Morriston asking for help getting to the game from Plod.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 21:54 - Nov 15 with 1244 viewsScoobyDoo

Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 21:35 - Nov 15 by Dr_Winston

That explains why your lot ended up in Morriston asking for help getting to the game from Plod.

Morriston? Where's that?
Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 16:54 - Nov 16 with 1202 viewsjohnlangy

Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 16:56 - Nov 13 by johnlangy

Once again i've emailed the FA to ask (politely) why they choose to stage so many matches at the CCS as compared with the Liberty. I'll post when/if they reply.

Surprise, surprise, no reply.
Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 17:09 - Nov 16 with 1195 viewsjohnlangy

Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 21:25 - Nov 15 by Chris_Lee

Simply the majority following of Wales are Cardiff and Wrexham fans, the same fixture would attract a bigger crowd in Cardiff than Swansea. helped by the fact Wrexham Fans can get to Cardiff easier and more likely to spend the night then.

It's a simple fact of life that, if just about every Welsh International for the last 30 years or more had been played in Swansea (and ALL the important ones) then there would be more Swansea people supporting the team than Cardiff or Wrexham.

That's not a dig at Cardiff or Wrexham supporters. It's simple logic. If Wales were playing at the Liberty I could leave the house at 7 and be home by 10.30. When I went to games in Cardiff substitute those times for 5.00 pm and midnight (if I was lucky). And at least double the cost.

Now i'm sure there'll be some clever sod that will say that you should support your National team whatever but you all know full well that people outside Swansea would only come to certain games and then only in much smaller numbers.

John
Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 17:12 - Nov 16 with 1194 viewsdgt73

Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 17:09 - Nov 16 by johnlangy

It's a simple fact of life that, if just about every Welsh International for the last 30 years or more had been played in Swansea (and ALL the important ones) then there would be more Swansea people supporting the team than Cardiff or Wrexham.

That's not a dig at Cardiff or Wrexham supporters. It's simple logic. If Wales were playing at the Liberty I could leave the house at 7 and be home by 10.30. When I went to games in Cardiff substitute those times for 5.00 pm and midnight (if I was lucky). And at least double the cost.

Now i'm sure there'll be some clever sod that will say that you should support your National team whatever but you all know full well that people outside Swansea would only come to certain games and then only in much smaller numbers.

John

Spot on.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 17:00 - Nov 17 with 1136 viewsjohnlangy

Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 16:56 - Nov 13 by johnlangy

Once again i've emailed the FA to ask (politely) why they choose to stage so many matches at the CCS as compared with the Liberty. I'll post when/if they reply.

I've re-sent it. Maybe they didn't reply because they didn't receive it ? Maybe.
Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 17:19 - Nov 17 with 1126 viewsItchySphincter

Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 21:25 - Nov 15 by Chris_Lee

Valid points but since when has it been easier to get to Cardiff than Swansea from Wrexham. Not much in it in this age of the automobile?

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Login to get fewer ads

Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 18:46 - Nov 17 with 1098 viewsbuilthjack

Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 17:19 - Nov 17 by ItchySphincter

Valid points but since when has it been easier to get to Cardiff than Swansea from Wrexham. Not much in it in this age of the automobile?

Wrexham fans come through Builth, loads stop off for grub as it's halfway. But Builth is 60 from swansea, and Cardiff is 66, so actually the liberty is nearer

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 19:40 - Nov 17 with 1046 viewsJBT95

Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 18:46 - Nov 17 by builthjack

Wrexham fans come through Builth, loads stop off for grub as it's halfway. But Builth is 60 from swansea, and Cardiff is 66, so actually the liberty is nearer

Cardiff is nearer to Newport and Swansea, than the other two are one another.
Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 20:09 - Nov 17 with 1023 viewsVetchitBack

If the authorities are avoiding Swansea because of a perceived apathy I'd have to agree. I know loads of massive Swans fans. I can only recall one of those who properly supports Wales. I personally couldn't care less about them. I think most see them as Cardiff City - the national version.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2013 20:54]

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 20:14 - Nov 17 with 1015 viewsbuilthjack

Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 17:00 - Nov 17 by johnlangy

I've re-sent it. Maybe they didn't reply because they didn't receive it ? Maybe.

How about everyone,, and anyone you know with an email address, bombard the welsh fa to state the case. If a game came to the liberty it would need to be backed with a big crowd though

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 20:40 - Nov 17 with 986 viewsDyfnant

Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 20:14 - Nov 17 by builthjack

How about everyone,, and anyone you know with an email address, bombard the welsh fa to state the case. If a game came to the liberty it would need to be backed with a big crowd though

Better off hand writing it with a quill

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 23:01 - Nov 17 with 945 viewsbuilthjack

Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 20:40 - Nov 17 by Dyfnant

Better off hand writing it with a quill

Anyone got a goose?

Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 09:38 - Nov 18 with 895 viewsjohnlangy

Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 20:09 - Nov 17 by VetchitBack

If the authorities are avoiding Swansea because of a perceived apathy I'd have to agree. I know loads of massive Swans fans. I can only recall one of those who properly supports Wales. I personally couldn't care less about them. I think most see them as Cardiff City - the national version.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2013 20:54]

By apathy I presume you're referring to the crowds down the Liberty when we've had Internationals. By 'who properly supports Wales' you must mean someone who accepts the time and cost of supporting Wales in Cardiff. I imagine far more of your friends would support Wales if they were playing at the Liberty in a World Cup qualifier. It stand to reason.

The first International at the Lib was, I believe, against Slovenia. It was a friendly (why would we expect any different) and the crowd was about 10,000. I think the following ones (friendlies) were maybe a bit less.

The Finland crowd was 11,800 (according to the papers, it didn't look it) which is reasonable but previous games at the CCS had smaller crowds even for qualifiers. And even qualifiers when Wales can't qualify (if you get my drift) are more attractive than friendlles. At least in a qualifier you get the strongest team on the pitch. There are far less drop outs and you don't get half a dozen experimental subs which turns the game into a farce for entertainment/excitement.

So all that means that there's not much in it at all based on experience to date. So it still begs the question, why are the FA so intent on ignoring Swansea.

John
Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 16:57 - Nov 18 with 853 viewsJulian

Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 18:26 - Nov 13 by Dr_Winston

If the game's rubbish you can break bits off and make other things with them to entertain yourself.

And at the Liberty, if the game's rubbish, you can snog your sister and play with the pegs in your pocket
Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 17:50 - Nov 18 with 845 viewsjohnlangy

Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 16:57 - Nov 18 by Julian

And at the Liberty, if the game's rubbish, you can snog your sister and play with the pegs in your pocket

I think your surname is probably Clary.
Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 17:58 - Nov 18 with 842 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 16:57 - Nov 18 by Julian

Stop bringing your sister to the Liberty - it's distracting you from the football.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 18:02 - Nov 18 with 842 viewsjohnlangy

My earlier posts.

Reply from Ian Gwyn Hughes earlier today.

Thank you for your email regarding the staging of International matches.
This is obviously an issue with many of our supporters, especially the loyal ones from North Wales who face an eight hour round trip to come and watch Wales play.
Both Chris Coleman and myself hosted a question and answer session recently in Caernarfon and over half of the audience had travelled with Wales to Brussels for the match against Belgium.

There are many factors when arranging the location of a match. They include hotels, training facilities etc.
At the moment our training facilities for the senior international men’s team are based at the National Development in Newport and the Vale resort in Hensol.
We will be looking at everything with regards to the next European Championship qualifiers.

Thank you,

Ian.

My reply to him.

Many thanks for the reply Ian. I think it's fair to say that, by the time of the next European Championship qualifiers, the training facilities in Swansea available for use by the Welsh team will be more than adequate in comparison with the National Development facility and Hensol meaning there's no realistic reason for some meaningful games not to be staged in Swansea.

Also, by then we will, hopefully, have a stadium with sufficient capacity to stage any qualifiers outside of the ones needing the Millennium Stadium capacity.

All the best.

John Young
Liberty not having a fair deal with International Matches. on 21:26 - Nov 18 with 810 viewsheadcleaner

I don't miss any internationals at home. But it is starting to get on my nerves that so many are going to ccs. the car park opposite that charges £7 wasn't even open on saturday the last time we parked in canton we got a parking ticket on a residential street. The place is worse than the liberty for parking and thats a fact.

The crowd on saturday was pathetic considering the capital city couldn't be bothered turning up and half the crowd were made up of people on freebies for season tickets and hand outs from people they know working for the FAW. kids only paid £1 as well. surely that should trigger a glut of games at the liberty. As for going to the rugby stadium in Llanelli that should be a non starter (what do they do for welsh football then?) I guess we'll see with the next qualifiers where the games go. I'd imagine it'll still be 2/3 to the stadium that clearly has no appetite for international football with the others game coming to us.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024