Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our achilles heel 11:47 - Jan 3 with 2158 viewsmikecph

While in general I love how backs are going forward to contribute to attacks it is really starting to become obvious how vulnerable we are when backs are caught out of position and there is no one to fill the space they leave behind. So much so that it seems more than clear this is what opposing teams are now primarily targeting to exploit.

Having backs go forward can definitely work if the defensive organization is in place. When this happens either 1) Same side wings must fall back and replace backs going forward 2) DM must fall back and become CD while one of the other CD pushes out and replaces missing back or 3) We must be capable of playing a 3 man defense.

Our main problem is that we are not able to pull any of these plans off consistently. 1) Same side wingers are often engaged in same attack and Lamah is the only winger who really carries any real weight defensively 2) DM (most recently Cañas) is too often caught on the wrong side of an attack having to track back but often getting back too late which shouldn't happen as he should be the defensive midfield anchor 3) It seems like not much training has been spent on playing 3 in defense - when we have to defend with 3 men all three defenders seem unsure of their responsibilites add to this that Chico and Ashley look like bambis on ice when caught on the backfoot.
Our achilles heel on 11:58 - Jan 3 with 2111 viewsRancid

I got -36 for daring to criticize Canas.Take it easy mate.
Our achilles heel on 13:00 - Jan 3 with 2029 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

"Lamah is the only winger who really carries any real weight defensively "

I politely beg to differ

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Our achilles heel on 13:13 - Jan 3 with 1992 viewsJackSomething

Our achilles heel on 13:00 - Jan 3 by PatchesOHoulihan

"Lamah is the only winger who really carries any real weight defensively "

I politely beg to differ

Indeed. It's the exact opposite as Lamah offers the least defensively as his positioning is all over the place.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Our achilles heel on 13:17 - Jan 3 with 1984 viewsJokeren1943

Agree with you. The main achilles heel for Swansea is when we are caught out of position, when our backs and defensive midfielder have become to aggressive and the opponent team makes a counterattack.

Think we should be just abit more conservative, keeping the defensive midfielder and atleast 1 back a home at all times.

26 goals are waaaaay to many.
Our achilles heel on 13:19 - Jan 3 with 1976 viewsJokeren1943

Our achilles heel on 13:13 - Jan 3 by JackSomething

Indeed. It's the exact opposite as Lamah offers the least defensively as his positioning is all over the place.

Lamah defensive skills has become much better during the last couple of months.

[Post edited 3 Jan 2014 13:19]
Our achilles heel on 13:30 - Jan 3 with 1950 viewsJackSomething

Our achilles heel on 13:19 - Jan 3 by Jokeren1943

Lamah defensive skills has become much better during the last couple of months.

[Post edited 3 Jan 2014 13:19]

With all respect, that is pretty obviously not the case from where I sit in the stands.

Routledge and Dyer work very hard to support the fullbacks defensively, Pablo less so although he does help out. Lamah will cover the fullback one minute, then be way out of position the next. It's part of his general unpredictability, I don't think he knows what he is going to do next.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Our achilles heel on 13:36 - Jan 3 with 1934 viewsJokeren1943

Our achilles heel on 13:30 - Jan 3 by JackSomething

With all respect, that is pretty obviously not the case from where I sit in the stands.

Routledge and Dyer work very hard to support the fullbacks defensively, Pablo less so although he does help out. Lamah will cover the fullback one minute, then be way out of position the next. It's part of his general unpredictability, I don't think he knows what he is going to do next.

To me his tactical skills has improved alot.

heheh agree, sure sometimes Lamah do not know what he is going to do next.

Think our team should be even better to use Lamahs speed on counterattacks.
Our achilles heel on 14:44 - Jan 3 with 1834 viewsjacksinceever

Our achilles heel on 13:17 - Jan 3 by Jokeren1943

Agree with you. The main achilles heel for Swansea is when we are caught out of position, when our backs and defensive midfielder have become to aggressive and the opponent team makes a counterattack.

Think we should be just abit more conservative, keeping the defensive midfielder and atleast 1 back a home at all times.

26 goals are waaaaay to many.

Agree - bring back Sousa and let's park the bus. Defense will be solid. Trouble is the snoring from the stands may put the players off
Login to get fewer ads

Our achilles heel on 15:17 - Jan 3 with 1775 viewsDrizzy

Our achilles heel on 14:44 - Jan 3 by jacksinceever

Agree - bring back Sousa and let's park the bus. Defense will be solid. Trouble is the snoring from the stands may put the players off

Yeah that's a valid and insightful response to what happens to be a very good point.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Our achilles heel on 15:43 - Jan 3 with 1741 viewsjacksinceever

Our achilles heel on 15:17 - Jan 3 by Drizzy

Yeah that's a valid and insightful response to what happens to be a very good point.

The thing in when we have attempted to be conservative as Jokeren suggests a) the team & manager have been slated for it ; and b) many games it hasn't worked anyway

Wednesday's approach was right for that game - we deserved something out of it, but one size doesn't fit all
Our achilles heel on 19:45 - Jan 3 with 1651 viewsCatullus

When one of our full back are forward then Canas should drop into defence. It's a simple notion.
Even Martinez seems to have worked that out as it's what Everton have been when their fullbacks get forward, the holding midfielder drops in.
Lamah has been trying to work hard but in doing so gets dragged all over the shop. But he's possibly our best offensive option to keep Bony scoring right now IMO so has to play (again IMO)

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Our achilles heel on 22:57 - Jan 3 with 1584 viewsborinifanclub

ffs the answer is obvious...........................................................................
Its called LEON BRITTON

Every day I thank the good Lord for the blessings he gives me. Every new day gives me a new opportunity to laugh at the red chumps up the road.

Our achilles heel (n/t) on 23:00 - Jan 3 with 1577 viewslonglostjack

Our achilles heel on 22:57 - Jan 3 by borinifanclub

ffs the answer is obvious...........................................................................
Its called LEON BRITTON

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Our achilles heel on 23:06 - Jan 3 with 1569 viewslonglostjack

Our achilles heel on 22:57 - Jan 3 by borinifanclub

Its called LEON BRITTON

Agree - when he's fit Leon should be first choice

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024