Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U'sual Champions League: Next round qualifiers and round-up 23:51 - Mar 19 with 377 viewswessex_exile

As the dust settles on the last two matches of the Champions League Round of 16, here's our results and round-up.

Group A
-----------------
Compared to recent results, this was quite a low-scoring end to the first round, but Group A was still won comfortably at a canter by Gerry with a very impressive 18pts. Coomster surprisingly drew a blank on the night, but as soon as Zenit took an early lead at Borussia Dortmund, I always needed the Man U result spot-on to qualify - and for 50 minutes it could of been on the cards, then up popped van Persie for his hat-trick, and the rest was history - congratulations Gerry and Coomster.

1} Gerry..........3/9...18pts
2} Coomster...2/6...12pts
3} Wessex......1/8...11pts

Group B
-----------------
Again, not many points claimed tonight in Group B, but with both current champion MFB and Pete finding the Man U home win, they eased into the next round on 16 and 14 points respectively. Sevebalo gambled on a draw for the Man U result, which would have done it if spot-on, but it wasn't to be - congratulations MFB and Pete.

1} MFB..........2/10...16pts
2} Pete...........2/8...14pts
3} Sevebalo...1/9...12pts

Group C
-----------------
Single points all round for the Man U home win in Group C mean no change in placings from Tuesday, leaving Ethics comfortably top on an incredible 20 points - best performance across all four groups! BFG, on 15pts, kept his nose in front of Thrillseeker on 13pts to take the second qualifying place - it will be scant consolation for Thrillseeker that his tally was the best non-qualifying score for the round - congratulations Ethics and BFG.

1} Ethics.............5/5...20pts
2} BFG.................3/6...15pts
3} Thrillseeker...2/7...13pts

Group D
-----------------
After a slow start, an impressive set of scores for the second leg matches means that HGPL league leader Gate goes through to the next round as group champion on 13pts. Although Guerno did his best to try and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, with a no-show last night and a double-blank tonight, Noah had left himself just too much to do and fell just one point short, leaving Guerno to qualify in second place - congratulations Gate and GSY.

1} Gate....2/7...13pts
2} GSY......2/4...10pts
3} Noah...0/9...9pts

So, the successful qualifying eight go through to form two new groups to predict the Champions League quarter-final matches, which are formed as follows: Winner A, Runner-Up B, Winner C, Runner-up D and Runner-up A, Winner B, Runner-up C and Winner D. The groups are therefore:

Group 1
-----------------
Gerry
Pete
Ethics
GSY

Group 2
-----------------
Coomster
MFB
BFG
Gate

The quarter-final draw is this Friday, with the two-legged matches to be played on 1/2 April and 8/9 April (eight matches in total). The top two in each group will go into a hat for the U'sual Champions League semi-final draw. As before, first to post will not count towards tie-breaks, if players cannot be separated by number of spot-ons, then the tie-break will be decided by predicting closest to the attendance at the very next U's game. However, for each group of four matches (1st legs and 2nd legs) players within each group may only match one solitary prediction with any of their fellow competitors (that's not one per competitor, just one in total), so there will be an advantage to predicting first.

Good luck everyone, and well done qualifiers!
[Post edited 19 Mar 2014 23:52]

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

U'sual Champions League: Next round qualifiers and round-up on 11:06 - Mar 20 with 348 viewsnoah4x4

Well done everybody. I have this excuse for failing to quality....

My school reports used to say as regards Geography; "Noah struggles with this subject; but if he can't find the Geography Room in his home town; he isn't going to find anything identified only upon a map in another country".

I wonder; does such sarcastic wit still prevail in modern school reports; or are they now all so politically correct to that today they might say "Noah tries hard; it's not the fault of his knowledge or teaching; but he seems to lack exam technique" and then a small inconspicuous box says "Attendance 0".
U'sual Champions League: Next round qualifiers and round-up on 17:31 - Mar 20 with 331 viewsBarsidepete

U'sual Champions League: Next round qualifiers and round-up on 11:06 - Mar 20 by noah4x4

Well done everybody. I have this excuse for failing to quality....

My school reports used to say as regards Geography; "Noah struggles with this subject; but if he can't find the Geography Room in his home town; he isn't going to find anything identified only upon a map in another country".

I wonder; does such sarcastic wit still prevail in modern school reports; or are they now all so politically correct to that today they might say "Noah tries hard; it's not the fault of his knowledge or teaching; but he seems to lack exam technique" and then a small inconspicuous box says "Attendance 0".

Excellent. Well done in your explanation
Look forward to seeing you in the Prem next season as consolation prize

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024