Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is there anything worse than being sent to Coventry? - Durham's view 16:30 - Apr 13 with 546 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester suffered a defeat at the Ricoh in a game where they perhaps should have shared the spoils. Little has changed however - we have 5 matches to play and still need to win a minimum of 3 of them.

The weather was bright and sunny and my short journey along the M54 and M6 was delayed slightly by congestion; nothing new along this notorious stretch of Motorway.

Since my last visit a new footbridge has been constructed to take the fans from Car Park C to the Ricoh now home to Wasps RU Club and the Sky Blues. Car Parking though has halved in cost from £10 to £5.

The faithful were present in force (504) and I saw Wessex briefly at half time. The support was superb throughout and right up to the final whistle.

Attendance was 8,933.

TH lined up his charges in a 4, 5, 1 formation

Walker

Brindley Khumalo Eastman Wynter

Gilbey Moncur Lapslie Murphy Massey

Porter

Subs:

Lewington Briggs Harney Szmodics Sembie-Ferris Bonne Healey

When the teams came out Coventry ran to the South Stand where the Colchester supporters were sitting. The reason is that the more vocal number of Sky Blue supporters occupy the far corner of the South Stand which makes the North Stand library esque. Colchester won the toss and ensured that we would be kicking towards the South Stand in the second half.

Colchester started slowly and there were several misplaced passes. I thought that the rigours of the Easter matches had taken their toll on the players. After all the Port Vale pitch was very heavy and the Monday game required considerable application to turn around a negative first half.

Let us not suggest that Coventry are a good side. Far from it, they huffed and puffed without much result, but the U's seemed lack lustre and allowed the Sky Blues to score the all important goal on 35 minutes.

The faithful sang and sang regardless remarking on the empty seats and the library atmosphere inside the 30,000 all seater stadium.

When the goal came it was scored by Coventry Captain O'Brien from 12 yards through a ruck of players and squeezed agonisingly into the bottom corner of the goal with Walker helpless.

Now despite the U's conceding Coventry did not threaten to increase their advantage before half time and there was enough in the game to suggest that Colchester could turn this around.

The half time pie was steak and cost £3.50 but the filling was good and there was plenty of gravy.

The faithful settled down to enjoy a Colchester revival. Almost immediately both Moncur and Massey threatened Burge's goal and he was forced to make two excellent saves.

TH made a double substitution on 67 minutes with Briggs for Wynter and Szmodics for the tiring Lapslie.

Szmodics had a good chance to equalise but Burge again was equal to the effort.

TH made his third sub on 75 minutes with Healey replacing Porter. I think that Porter should have stayed and a mid field player should have been replaced by Healey. Perhaps Porter was injured but suddenly we lost height up front.

Sam Walker was injured when jumping for a high ball with 10 minutes left. He was unable to kick the ball and Eastman took goal kicks. TH of course could not substitute him having used all three replacements. Let us hope that Sam is fit for Chesvegas on Tuesday.

Webb the referee found an extra 5 minutes at the end of the game, mainly due to Burge's time wasting but try as they could the U's couldn't force an equaliser.

So a damaging defeat but the U's are still capable of saving the situation.

Positives Bongani Khumalo is outstanding, Richard Brindley is very good and Tom Eastman is playing superbly.

Murphy and Moncur were quiet but both have played their socks off recently. Plenty of ice baths ready for Tuesday night.

Table:
Walsall 41 -5 51
Coventry 42 -10 50
Scunny 41 -11 50
Port Vale 42 -10 49
Orient 41 -3 47
Crawley 42 -21 47
Crewe 42 -33 47
Notts Co 41 -13 46
COL U 41 -15 44
Yeovil 42 -36 34 (R)

Keep the faith.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Is there anything worse than being sent to Coventry? - Durham's view on 16:46 - Apr 13 with 539 viewsthrillseeker

Thanks for the report DE.

I was gutted to have had to miss match due to work commitments.

Subject question - Is there anything worse than being sent to Coventry?

Answer - yes, Ipswich

Trying to make Chesterfield but will definitely be at all remaining fixtures after this
Is there anything worse than being sent to Coventry? - Durham's view on 17:40 - Apr 13 with 525 viewsBluenWightExile

Thanks as ever Durham.
It's all looking very hard but 3 wins might suffice.
I'm not giving up yet....

Pinault-noir

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024