Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cod Army v Super U's - Durham's perspective 23:45 - Apr 25 with 876 viewsdurham_exile

This remarkable season looks like going to the wire once again after an unbelievable game (and double) against the Cod Army at Highbury, the home of Fleetwood Town FC.

The journey to the Lancashire Coast was pleasant, the M6 was relatively easy going and the journey from Junction 33 to the ground was negotiated without incident. Passing the Fisherman’s Friend HQ left us in no doubt that this was the Fish Capital of the UK.

The ground for away supporters is reached via 42 Hatfield Avenue and the Highbury Lounge. Car parking is all street parking and we parked about 200 yards from the ground. Light rain was falling at about 2pm and I made the mistake of purchasing a steak pie made by Hollands. The pie was burnt, the crust had been incinerated and the filling was dry and unappetising. Possibly the worst pie I have ever tasted. The Coffee was wet and warm, but my son’s choice of hot dog and can of cola was a more sensible option.

The ground has a capacity of just over 5,000 and is a mix of terracing at both ends (the Memorial Stand and the Percy Ronson Stand where the faithful were gathered) and seating in the Highbury Stand and the more modern Parkside Stand with VIP Lounge and Executive boxes (the shape of which is reminiscent of Bristol Rovers stadium). The right hand corner of the Parkside Stand houses away supporters and about 50 of the 313 Faithful were seated, the rest stood behind the goal in the Percy Ronson Stand. Attendance was 3,129.

It was possible to get within 8 feet of the playing surface but some supporters managed to get much closer during the game!

TH had elected to go with the squad that have served him fairly well over the past few games.

Despite the fact that TH had publically stated that we had to win the game, he played 4, 5, 1 but Murphy and Massey played in advanced positions:

Walker

Brindley Khumalo Eastman Briggs

Massey Gilbey Fox Moncur Murphy

Porter

Subs:

Lewington, Wynter, Healey, Bonne, Szmodics, Lapslie, Sembie-Ferris

The rain was a little heavier at kick off and the temperature had cooled a little but as the half wore on the rain abated. The pitch was in good condition though.

Colchester started brightly and the back four looked steady whilst the midfield saw plenty of the ball and Chris Porter battled up front. The Cod Army's Chris Maxwell was the busier keeper and made two fine saves to deny first Jacob Murphy and later Gavin Massey who looked as though he might score at the near post before Maxwell beat the ball away.

There was one scare for Walker when Proctor in attempting to turn in a cross, actually succeeded in clearing the ball, otherwise our defence was untroubled.

There was clear tension from the faithful and because of the close proximity of the supporters to the pitch on the terracing many of the insults (from a significant minority) aimed towards TH and the Chairman could be heard clearly.

Now whatever people think of TH, it is unhelpful to bombard him with insults when the players actually need our support.

Still as some proclaimed, “We’re Col United and we’ll sing what we want.”

Half time arrived and the rain had virtually stopped, the conditions had warmed a little too.

Now what we needed was a goal and George Moncur delivered on 47 minutes. I had the opportunity to watch the goals on Sky a little earlier this evening and what they fail to show is the brilliance shown by Jacob Murphy in the build up to the first goal.

If there is the remotest hope that we could sign him from Norwich then we should do so. He collected the ball on the half way line and dribbled past 4 Fleetwood players before crossing superbly for Moncur to side foot through Maxwell’s legs for a deserved 1 -0 lead.

The goal lifted the team and the supporters. Still the shouts of Humes out and foul abuse aimed at Robbie Cowling persisted.

A second goal was required but it did not come, sadly what did come was a Cod Army equaliser on 65 minutes. A goal mouth scramble resulted in Proctor scoring from close range.

The faithful cried out for 4, 4, 2 and the arrival of a second striker. TH replaced the tiring Gilbey with Dion Sembie-Ferris on 73 minutes.

It had an immediate impact but at the wrong end. A smart interchange between Proctor and Ball led to the latter one on one with Walker and finding the corner of the net on 74 minutes and we were 2-1 down.

The excellent Murphy was replaced on 81 minutes by Bonne to more howls of derision from an element of the faithful.

I then entered into a frank exchange of views with four of the protagonists. My argument was whatever they thought of TH they should support the eleven players who were showing commitment and effort on the pitch.

The clock ticked on and on 84 minutes, the lively Gavin Massey feigned to cross but shot towards goal and Maxwell allowed the ball to squirm under him and into the net. So 2-2 and some fans were ejected after entering the field of play in celebration.

If the atmosphere was electric after 84 minutes it became white hot after 87 minutes when Sembie-Ferris drove into the penalty area and was taken out by Pond. A penalty resulted and Porter stepped up to calmly net past Maxwell. In the celebrations that followed one of the four that I had argued with shook my hand and told me that he fu**ing loved me! I think he understood that the players did care and that if the supporters gave their support then they would respond accordingly.

Mr Bond, the referee, who I thought had an exemplary game, managed to find an additional 7 minutes, but the U’s saw out the time without further incident.

Great celebrations followed the final whistle and it seemed that most of the Lancashire Constabulary had gathered outside the ground by the U’s two supporter coaches. The ejected fans were sharing a beer outside the chippie.

The job is far from finished, but it is now in our hands and only two more wins are now required to finish the great escape on 54 points.

After the pie experience we settled for fish n chips from Brough on the way home and excellent they were too.

The situation - it is still three from six teams to join Yeovil in league two.

Table:

Port Vale 45 -9 54
Coventry 45 -12 52
Crewe 45 -31 52
Notts Co 45 -16 50
…………………………….
Crawley 45 -25 50
Orient 45 -10 48
COL U 44 -20 48
Yeovil 45 -35 40 (R)

The vital fixtures:

28 Apr

COL U v Swindon

3 May

MK Dons v Yeovil
COL U v PNE
Crawley v Coventry
Crewe v Bradford
Gills v Notts Co
Swindon v Orient

Our game in hand is against Swindon who are assured of a play-off place, but there is no room for complacency. We must obtain three points on Tuesday night and then the Lilywhites game becomes a one game season.

The stakes cannot then be higher, a win for Colchester forces PNE from an automatic promotion position into the play offs; a PNE win probably relegates the U’s and takes Preston up to the Championship.

A 10,000 crowd at the WHCS and the winner takes it all, you just can’t make it up.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Cod Army v Super U's - Durham's perspective on 07:24 - Apr 26 with 833 viewsthrillseeker

Durham quotes

'the faithful cried out for 4, 4, 2 and the arrival of a second striker'

It's funny how the supporters can see it but TH can't until it is nearly too late.

Humes got lucky but I will take that as we fight another day.

I still want Humes out as he is just tactically poor but alas this will not happen.

Let's hope Tuesday brings another 3 points
Cod Army v Super U's - Durham's perspective on 08:25 - Apr 26 with 823 viewsdurham_exile

Cod Army v Super U's - Durham's perspective on 07:24 - Apr 26 by thrillseeker

Durham quotes

'the faithful cried out for 4, 4, 2 and the arrival of a second striker'

It's funny how the supporters can see it but TH can't until it is nearly too late.

Humes got lucky but I will take that as we fight another day.

I still want Humes out as he is just tactically poor but alas this will not happen.

Let's hope Tuesday brings another 3 points

thrillseeker as you know the Chairman has already stated that TH will be in charge next season, so all the protestations are very much in vain.

I think that Colchester has the belief and ability to stay up. Swindon Tuesday night is definitely not a gimme. Their manager is however hoping to keep his squad fit for the semi-final against the Blades and will continue to make changes including the game at the WHCS.

The final game at home to the Lilywhites then becomes even bigger than Carlisle away three seasons ago. PNE know that if they lose it opens the door for the MK Dons to sneak in.

Personally I don't give a damn about any other club. It is what the U's do that matters now.

Anyway never mind about that - how is your weekend in Blackpool shaping up?

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Cod Army v Super U's - Durham's perspective on 15:51 - Apr 27 with 698 viewsburnsieespana

Thanks for your report Durham.
I have been away travelling for the last 6 weeks but have kept (just) up to date with our beloved U's. I frankly expected it all to be decided by now one way or the other but feel a win and a draw from the last 2 games just about would keep us up. If it happens it would be a "great escape" and thinking if we get a decent result V Swindon worth maybe playing the theme tune before the game against PNE! Some clash that could well be.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 15:52]
Cod Army v Super U's - Durham's perspective on 17:52 - Apr 27 with 674 viewsdurham_exile

Cod Army v Super U's - Durham's perspective on 15:51 - Apr 27 by burnsieespana

Thanks for your report Durham.
I have been away travelling for the last 6 weeks but have kept (just) up to date with our beloved U's. I frankly expected it all to be decided by now one way or the other but feel a win and a draw from the last 2 games just about would keep us up. If it happens it would be a "great escape" and thinking if we get a decent result V Swindon worth maybe playing the theme tune before the game against PNE! Some clash that could well be.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 15:52]

burnsie - the match is also now live on sky!

A huge game.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024